PDA

View Full Version : This guy is better than me!

GAR
04-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Bopping around on Youtube I find this young shred dude named Stephen Platt.

You'll be hearing about him in the future, ho mark my words..

He has a band he calls Collibus. Whoever knows what that means, I call it Dictionary-Metal when you gotta look the thing up to figure it out.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mZZahY7wV_o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mZZahY7wV_o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Anyways, I don't know his age but he's got every lick I got and if I thought I was ever on the right path and he's this close to my style, I'd say he's ahead in where I want to be with my own playing!

WAY ahead, both in dexterity of speed, and clarity of picking.

Now, some of you may not dig the 7-stringers and the Deth Metal stuff but there are some correlations between my style and his that when there are more similarites than differences I sit up and take notice.

So I introduce Stephen of Collibus! He kicks ass, I like him in a way I haven't liked any guitar players in a decade or more. Maybe 2.

PLUS he's a newcomer, and if this is the way the younger set are coming up man I am all for it.

GAR
04-25-2009, 09:48 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FA6VXKkGdgA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FA6VXKkGdgA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Now, lets take a look here at what he's doing in this one: I likey likey likey!

1. I'm a fan of harmonic minor scales, so I can't judge this guy.. he could rub his face in coffee grounds and piss in the camera I'm gonna like the clip no matter what..

2. He's got both left-hand sweep speed and right-handed fan picking attributes as well as an excellent string-span when he does it, he's dialed in.

3. That's not all: the most important part I'd like you to focus on is - he's doubling with a prerecorded track on his PC and hardly mistracking at all!

His Dictionary-Metal band will get him a buzz to do other things, this is just a start but he's done his homework in a way the Glam Band era never really understood.

Kudos kudos kudos, Stephen Platt.

I don't much like the music but the playing is 10/of 10 top notch and when I find a guy I'm impressed by (which I never do) I hope he gets out there and not just does well, but I hope he really does really really well!

Seshmeister
04-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Hmmm...

GAR
04-25-2009, 09:53 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oO3vq4P-02E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oO3vq4P-02E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here's one where he's clearly taking the Yngwie deal of the roling-arpedge-thing, and instead of Yngwie'ing the fuck out of it he makes it a gimmick for a good deal of the bridge, then dumps it to sustain the key notes.

Pretty mature, pretty cool. He coulda just yknow, played with it and made that riff the whole song the way most Dethmetallers do but I say he's pretty well creative about it.

He'll be maybe, in 2 or 3 years, the next Randy. He has done his homeWORK people!

GAR
04-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Be NICE! He is a fellow UK-er.. maybe you're unhappy there in FL but he's got something you have to admit is a challenge to meet or beat.

If this guy got a Dio audition, Dio could actually make another record I'd listen to. This guy makes Craig Goldy look like a piece of rancid roadkill.

Seshmeister
04-25-2009, 09:56 PM
I couldn't play that stuff but to me all of it apart from the 1st half of the second clip sounds like an exercise rather than a piece of music.

To me though Death, Thrash or whatever don't usually allow much room for anything apart from widdling as fast as you can.

GAR
04-25-2009, 09:57 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_5LX6Zx-H7g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_5LX6Zx-H7g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

He's half my age.. if he just stays away from dope he's got a chance!

GAR
04-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Yeah, the wheedly-wheedly ain't my bag but he's got some strength everywhere else, plus a melodic sense the regular-cut Wheedlies never glom onto..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jQRRsOE7-Ac&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jQRRsOE7-Ac&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Could I play like this at 16 or 18? This is one he did from 10-2006.. god whatever I was doing at that age seems a waste of time when I look at Stephen's clips.

ELVIS
05-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Damn!

He's good!

:elvis:

ELVIS
05-01-2009, 02:38 PM
But the thing that people forget about Yngwie is that he never copied any guitar player...maybe some blackmore for fun, but other than that he was totally original in 1980...

Nitro Express
05-01-2009, 04:25 PM
But the thing that people forget about Yngwie is that he never copied any guitar player...maybe some blackmore for fun, but other than that he was totally original in 1980...

People make fun of Yngwie because today he seems like the cliche of the 1980's rocker but he is what he is and does what he does. Yup. He never copied anyone and came out with his style of guitar and technique. That is why he is still touring and making a decent living doing it. He never was a poser. The guy is a true musician.

jhale667
05-01-2009, 10:45 PM

He prayed at the altar of Uli Roth, too - but yes, was definitely a step beyond when he broke out...

GAR
05-01-2009, 11:21 PM
He's great!

ELVIS
05-02-2009, 05:42 PM
He prayed at the altar of Uli Roth, too - but yes, was definitely a step beyond when he broke out...

That's true, but after Yngwie had been around awhile, Uli's playing seemed to sound, to me, a bit more like Yngwie...

I was never a huge Uli fan, but a friend was and he turned me on to some of his stuff from the 70's, Scorpions and some other project I forget the name of...

But it seemed to me that Uli caught the Yngwie bug like a lot of players did in the 80's...

ELVIS
05-02-2009, 05:45 PM
I can only cite three guitarists that truly changed the path of rock guitar...

Jimi Hendrix

Edward Van Halen

Yngwie J. Malmsteen

That's it.

ELVIS
05-02-2009, 05:47 PM
I also like Yngwie because i remember in an interview where he said something like...

When I first heard Eddie Van Halen I wanted to throw my guitar away...

Something like that...

jhale667
05-03-2009, 12:29 AM
I can only cite three guitarists that truly changed the path of rock guitar...

Jimi Hendrix

Edward Van Halen

Yngwie J. Malmsteen

That's it.

Can't really say I'd disagree with you there...maybe Rhoads, had he had more time... :(

:guitar:

jackassrock
05-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Are you kidding me ? How about ;

Frank Zappa
Jimmy Page
Jeff Beck
Adrian Belew
Hetfield/Mustaine
King Buzzo
Les Paul
Buck Owens
Smith/Murray
Muddy Waters
Bo Diddley
Tony Iommi
Chuck Berry
Chet Atkins
Carl Perkins
Steve Howe
Carlos Santana
and
Brian May

just to name a few

GAR
05-04-2009, 03:21 AM
Are you kidding me ? How about ;

Frank Zappa
Jimmy Page
Jeff Beck
Adrian Belew
Hetfield/Mustaine
King Buzzo
Les Paul
Buck Owens
Smith/Murray
Muddy Waters
Bo Diddley
Tony Iommi
Chuck Berry
Chet Atkins
Carl Perkins
Steve Howe
Carlos Santana
and
Brian May

just to name a few

Most on this list wouldn't be listed without Jimi coming beforehand so I'd have to agree with Elvis and Jay.

Jay is also correct that Rhoads' contributions weren't proliferous enough to have created his own niche, but I swear he was on the way.

I used to think Randy was snuffed by EVH as a threat to his continued status, but we'll never know if that pilot had intended to bail out intentionally since he died in the crash.

I also considered Randy possibly had survived, but could never be rehabilitated so they used to planecrash to cover for him so he could retire in the privacy of his own home.

ELVIS
05-04-2009, 03:22 AM
None of those guys changed the way electric guitar was played...

They are all great players, but not groundbreaking...

And I said "rock guitar."

jhale667
05-05-2009, 08:12 PM
I used to think Randy was snuffed by EVH as a threat to his continued status, but we'll never know if that pilot had intended to bail out intentionally since he died in the crash.

I also considered Randy possibly had survived, but could never be rehabilitated so they used to planecrash to cover for him so he could retire in the privacy of his own home.

That's probably two of the wackiest theories I've ever seen postulated. :rolleyes:

Dude...it ain't like he went into the Rock n' Roll witness protection program, y'know?

...and for the record, when I worked for them, never once in a discussion (and we had many conversations about Rhoads because he knew I was a HUGE fan) did I hear Kevin accidentally refer to Randy in the present tense.

BlimpyCHIMP™
05-09-2009, 03:29 AM
Unfortunately Kev wasn't in the plane.

Diamondjimi
05-09-2009, 03:35 PM

Maybe when your bus picks you up today in front of the library you can do us a favour and throw yourself under it...

If Kevin was on that plane,you would'nt have "Bang your Head" to play your tennis raquet to in front of the mirror.

jhale667
05-10-2009, 12:51 AM

You're a douchebag. STFU. :mad:

jackassrock
05-10-2009, 11:26 AM
None of those guys changed the way electric guitar was played...

They are all great players, but not groundbreaking...

And I said "rock guitar."

Methinks you might be confusing "all of rock" with what you like personally.

ELVIS
05-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Sure, i'm biased, but I can step out of that and look at the facts based on many things...

Fender, for instance, made their first two signature guitars ever for who? Eric Clapton and Yngwie Malmsteen, both in the same year, 1988 when Yngwie was just 25 years of age...to me, that says a lot...

But the facts are that nobody flipped the lids of people's, and young guitarists imaginations in any way as near as Jimi, Edward and Yngwie did...

Some say Rhoads might have been on his way, and I love his music, but to compare Rhoads and Yngwie at the age of 25, which is the age Rhoads passed away, there is no comparison...

I just wish Yngwie had teamed up with Ozzy rather than Mark Boals and we would have never had to listen to jake E. Lee...:biggrin:

I like Jake though. It's Phil Soussan and Randy Costillo that I hated...

Seshmeister
05-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Yngwie did influence rock guitar playing but really only with a bunch of bedroom guitarists. I personally don't think that his playing did open the imagination of guitarists. All the people I knew that got into it ended up playing tedious quasi classical scales all day instead of creating music. The good ones escaped and never went back. I suppose you could put Jason Becker in that category with his work on ALAE.

It's hard to think of examples of the whole front pickup classical raked arpeggio widdly Yngwiesms ever appearing on rock music that is popular with normal people.

You may have enjoyed Malmsteen in Ozzy but 90&#37; of people would have found it tedious. He would have sucked the soul out of Rhodes stuff and inserted too many notes.

He's still an incredibly immature guitarist nowadays never mind back then.

Cheers

:gulp:

chefcraig
05-10-2009, 12:38 PM
...It's hard to think of examples of the whole front pickup classical raked arpeggio widdly Yngwiesms ever appearing on rock music that is popular with normal people.

Cheers

That's the thing. When you think in terms of influence, EVH certainly held sway over a number of people, yet not always with positive results. For instance, there was that doofus in Rick James' band that dressed exactly like Ed, right down to using a facsimile of the guitar. Unfortunately, he couldn't play the damned thing.

Then there were some of those God-awful solos that people tacked onto records with Ed-like tapping, like that goofy tune from Flashdance called "Maniac".

The EVH influence was everywhere, yet the classical shredder movement never really took off to that extent in catching the public imagination. Other than the film Crossroads, it's fairly tough to name many examples of it.

ELVIS
05-10-2009, 12:58 PM
It did take off and it continues today...

Take a listen to some modern metal that has guitar soloing in their songs...it's all Yngwie derived...

But c'mon Sesh, even you might be a bit interested in what Yngwie was doing had he joined Ozzy...

chefcraig
05-10-2009, 01:14 PM
It did take off and it continues today...

Take a listen to some modern metal that has guitar soloing in their songs...it's all Yngwie derived...

That isn't the point I'm making. For guitarists, yes the classical movement shows up today in metal. What I'm saying is that the EVH influence showed up in everything, from pop piffle to r n b, and as such was more of a widespread thing than the narrow confines of metal, particularly to the public at large.

ELVIS
05-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Only for a couple of years...

I can't hardly stand to hear tapping and hammer-ons, even on Classic Van Halen...

The same goes for "arpeggio Yngwiesms."

I like when Edward used to, and Yngwie still does, pick the shit out of their guitars with gut wrenching force...

Seshmeister
05-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Yngwiesms is a great word, at least I've come up with something useful today... :)

Collibus
05-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Hey GAR, ended up coming across this thread when looking at where my youtube videos were linked from. Found it strange to come across a thread about my guitar playing though haha. Also cheers for the compliments :)

Stephen

GAR
05-23-2009, 02:50 AM
You are quite advanced! Good luck with that.. and stick with it no matter what.

ELVIS
05-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Yngwie did influence rock guitar playing but really only with a bunch of bedroom guitarists.

That's where it starts, if you've forgotten.

I personally don't think that his playing did open the imagination of guitarists.

Perhaps you have forgotten...ah well...

Cheers

ELVIS
05-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Hey Stephen...

Stick with it no matter what Gar says...

He's 71 and lives in an assisted living facility...

GAR
05-26-2009, 01:01 AM
I wished I stuck with it more than I did E, but I can't say I'll ever give it up completely.

I still write a song or two now and then but you never know if when you're over the hill, you could get it placed in a movie or commercial!

I wish I had youtube going when I was that age, it would have reinforced me to keep going at it.