X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwame k
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Feb 2008

Source: Labor Dept. plans new safety regulations

By SAM HANANEL, Associated Press Writer Sam Hananel, Associated Press Writer – 26 mins ago
    WASHINGTON – The Labor Department plans to propose new rules aimed at limiting exposure to a chemical that gives microwave popcorn its buttery flavor and preventing industrial dust accidents.

Labor Secretary Hilda Solis is expected to announce details of the proposals on Tuesday, a labor official told The Associated Press. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because details were still being worked out.

With the two actions, Solis would be making good on a pledge to step up OSHA enforcement and create safety rules in areas where the Bush administration declined to act.

She planned to announce the actions at a groundbreaking ceremony for a memorial to workers who have died on the job. The memorial is scheduled to open later this year at the National Labor College in Silver Spring, Md.

New rules would protect workers from diacetyl, a popcorn flavoring chemical blamed for causing severe lung disease or other respiratory illnesses among hundreds of microwave popcorn plant workers who mixed large vats of flavors.

Last month, Solis moved to withdraw a last-minute Bush administration action that would have slowed the process for setting new standards on diacetyl.

Combustible dust standards were established for the grain industry after a series of explosions in the 1980s. But the Occupational Safety and Health Administration has declined to extend similar standards to other industries, despite a 2006 recommendation from the U.S. Chemical Safety Board.

Investigators blamed a February explosion at a Georgia sugar refinery on sugar dust that ignited, killing 13 people.

Link
    Originally posted by vandeleur
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place
  • kwame k
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Feb 2008

New rules would protect workers from diacetyl, a popcorn flavoring chemical blamed for causing severe lung disease or other respiratory illnesses among hundreds of microwave popcorn plant workers who mixed large vats of flavors.
    WTF? Well, microwave popcorn is now on my list of things to not eat.
    Originally posted by vandeleur
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I knew that shit was nasty, especially if your microwave burns the shit and it stinks up the entire building. but I didn't know it was actually deadly.

Oh well, like I said, my microwave never gets it right anyway, so fuck it..... do the popcorn old school........

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• lesfunk
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Old School Popcorn is better anyway.
        http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
          I knew that shit was nasty, especially if your microwave burns the shit and it stinks up the entire building. but I didn't know it was actually deadly.

Oh well, like I said, my microwave never gets it right anyway, so fuck it..... do the popcorn old school........

I get horrible stomach aches when I eat that microwavable popcorn. I stay away from genetically modified and processed foods as much as possible. If it comes in a box and is microwavable, I avoid it like the plague.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            I get horrible stomach aches when I eat that microwavable popcorn. I stay away from genetically modified and processed foods as much as possible. If it comes in a box and is microwavable, I avoid it like the plague.
            Good plan. Wish I'd never done otherwise (sodium, high fructose corn poison, etc.)
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Few things in this world that I hate more than microwave popcorn...

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                Few things in this world that I hate more than microwave popcorn...
                Paris Hilton?

Comment

Working...