PDA

View Full Version : ‘Satriani’s Better Than Eddie VH,’ says Hagar

katie
05-01-2009, 06:20 PM
From Classic Rock site -
Classic Rock » Blog Archive » ‘Satriani’s Better Than Eddie VH,’ says Hagar (http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/satrianis-better-than-eddie-vh-says-hagar/)

Step aside Eddie Van Halen, Ronnie Montrose, Neal Schon and, er, Gary Pihl. Sammy Hagar reckons Joe Satriani is the best guitarist he’s ever worked with.

Satriani is one of Hagar’s collaborators in Chickenfoot, alongside ex-Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony and Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith.

“I’ve made this statement a million times – some people don’t like it, some people do - but Joe is the best guitarist I have ever played with,” Hagar said.

“That’s a strong statement. I realise that.

“You’ve got to give Eddie [Van Halen] a lot of love for his innovation of what he did as a stylist with the guitar. He broke a lot of ground.

“But Joe is a master. He can play anything and everything – folk, blues, jazz, hard rock, soft rock, fusion, you name it.

“As a guitar technician, Joe is the best guy I’ve ever stood in the same room with on any instrument.

“And he’s so soulful when he solos. He puts more feeling into a solo than any other player I’ve been with.”

Read the full interview with Hagar on www.rgi.com here.

What do you think? Is Joe a better guitarist that Eddie? Or is it unfair to compare the two stylistically? Post your comments – and let battle commence!

Terry
05-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Satriani is a wonderful technician. On that I'd readily agree with Hagar.

Far as being able to come up with original tunes that are timeless, if Satriani does have that ability, to these ears he has as yet to demonstrate it.

That's why Satriani appeals primarily (perhaps only) to guitar players, whereas EVH's music appealed to everybody.

Ed was probably one of the most innovative players ever in terms of rock guitarists. He had plenty of chops, ability, a distinctive sound and songwriting talent.

Frankly, I think Satriani will always be in EVH's shadow.

Granted, if Satriani and EVH had a duel onstage these days, Satriani would probably be able to blow Ed off the stage in terms of technical ability. As a player, Ed's a bit washed up, but that doesn't lessen what EVH has achieved - nor does it make what Satriani has done any greater than it is.

Nickdfresh
05-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Um, I stopped being interested in Satriani after the first track of "Flying in a Deep Blue Dream."

Mr Walker
05-01-2009, 11:09 PM
The issue here is not with Satriani... it's with what a bitch fuck jealous prick baby hagar is.
God damn I wish he'd fucking die already!

twonabomber
05-01-2009, 11:37 PM
i think Vic Johnson is the person who really should be pissed...

indeedido
05-01-2009, 11:53 PM
I can't stand Vic. That guy has no tone

At0micPunk
05-02-2009, 12:30 AM
Satriani is a wonderful technician. On that I'd readily agree with Hagar.

Far as being able to come up with original tunes that are timeless, if Satriani does have that ability, to these ears he has as yet to demonstrate it.

That's why Satriani appeals primarily (perhaps only) to guitar players, whereas EVH's music appealed to everybody.

Ed was probably one of the most innovative players ever in terms of rock guitarists. He had plenty of chops, ability, a distinctive sound and songwriting talent.

Frankly, I think Satriani will always be in EVH's shadow.

Granted, if Satriani and EVH had a duel onstage these days, Satriani would probably be able to blow Ed off the stage in terms of technical ability. As a player, Ed's a bit washed up, but that doesn't lessen what EVH has achieved - nor does it make what Satriani has done any greater than it is.

Well said, I agree 100%

ThrillsNSpills
05-02-2009, 11:03 AM
ed examined his options and went with this

http://hitchworld1969.com/images/queerygrabass.jpg

Reach for the stars.

Hagar should be grateful to VH.
what a classless fuck.
why do people still interview him after his Zeppelin comment?

Terry
05-02-2009, 01:22 PM
ed examined his options and went with this

http://hitchworld1969.com/images/queerygrabass.jpg

Reach for the stars.

Hagar should be grateful to VH.
what a classless fuck.
why do people still interview him after his Zeppelin comment?

Totally.

Hagar SHOULD appreciate the fact that Roth quit Van Halen, enabling Hagar to join the group and coast on all the hard work CVH put in all those years ago.

Eddie Van Halen was the best thing to ever happen to Hagar. He knows it. Regardless of how Eddie and Van Halen ended up floundering with that ass grabber Cherone, what CVH did effortlessly eclipses the efforts of Hagar and Satriani combined.

Terry
05-02-2009, 01:26 PM
The issue here is not with Satriani... it's with what a bitch fuck jealous prick baby hagar is.
God damn I wish he'd fucking die already!

Hagar and Anthony are just smarting because, against their publicly stated beliefs and much to their chagrin, the Van Halens were finally able to put it together with Roth for a reunion, and even the fact that Anthony wasn't there didn't stop tickets selling like hotcakes (making the 2004 tour look like the abysmal cluster-fuck it was).

It's just sour grapes because Van Halen 2007-2008 was selling out arenas and Chickenfoot MIGHT be able to fill the Cabo Wabo venue if free tequila is handed out as an incentive to attend.

sadaist
05-02-2009, 03:04 PM
didn't stop tickets selling like hotcakes

We should start an internet petition to change it to "selling like VH tickets". But I agree Terry, you said it perfectly earlier. Satch is a master on the guitar...as are many instructors that have dvd's and lessons on the web, etc... But they can't write a groovin' riff to save their lives, only shred and technical stuff. Sometimes 3 chords is all you need to make a killer song. Look at Kiss or Anthrax. Every song off of Spreading The Disease is extremely simple, but fucking rockin'! Highway To Hell is another example. Angus isn't a master, but his playing sticks with you.

degüello
05-02-2009, 03:37 PM
I got away from listening to Satch after The Extremist, but have since gone back and discovered everything he's done since then, and it's all fantastic. He has been consistently pumping out solid albums for the last two decades or so, and there honestly is not a weak one in the bunch. I especially like Strange Beautiful Music and Is There Love In Space?, as well as Engines of Creation.

(I've been having a blast listening to them with a good set of full-size cans and a tube headphone amp - wicked shit!)

degüello
05-02-2009, 03:41 PM
In general, Joe can write great riffs and melodies, but they're very idiosyncratic and instrumental-focused.

Awesome for their context/purpose, which is absorbing and enganging instrumental music, but not the same sort of pop-oriented/wide-appeal/timeless-feeling vibe as great classic VH, of course. But enjoyable for what they are.

degüello
05-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Satch is amazing as an instrumental composer (shredder or not) and this is what sets him far beyond the average boring shred-fest dude.

He is a genuinely gifted instrumental writer who could be working with any set of instruments and be writing powerful music with depth and soul. In addition to this, he is a true guitar virtuoso and can serve up extreme guitar music/playing within the context of his well-crafted instrumental compositions.

It's a smaller, more niche-focused world, something totally different than say, 'Unchained' or 'Runnin' With The Devil,' and it's where he seems to operate the best. He's just not a write-riffs-for-a-singer-to-sing-over kind of player, no worse, no better, a thing unto itself.

degüello
05-02-2009, 03:46 PM
And yes, this is such an obvious passive-aggressive dig at EVH on Sam's part, it's pathetic.

He has to realize how obvious it is... he can't be that dumb... maybe he just doesn't care about coming across like a spiteful, whiny pussy.

ELVIS
05-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Edward, in his earlier days with hagar had more feeling in his Van hagar solos than Satriani ever had in my opinion, but that's personal preference. Satriani just never impressed me, but he may be pretty good in a band situation, and hagar's best material has been non-Van hagar...

Chickenfoot might turn out to be ok, who knows ??

They should replace hagar with Roth...:D

Just kidding...

:elvis:

Kristy
05-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Um, I stopped being interested in Satriani after the first track of "Flying in a Deep Blue Dream."

I'm not a fan of Satriani myself but Hagar The Horrible will do with him the same shit he pulled with Eddie: take away his talent(s) to serve his own ego. Just wait and see how commercial Chickenshit will sound and how watered-down Satriani's style will become; overnight Hagar The Horrible will have Chickenshit turn into the real-life drama parody of Van Hager metamorphosing into Spinal Tap.

Kristy
05-02-2009, 09:05 PM
And oh yeah, FUCK the "Red Crocker" I want to cut his balls off a la Hostel 2 style and feed them his moronic fan base.

ELVIS
05-02-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm not a fan of Satriani myself but Hagar The Horrible will do with him the same shit he pulled with Eddie: take away his talent(s) to serve his own ego. Just wait and see how commercial Chickenshit will sound and how watered-down Satriani's style will become; overnight Hagar The Horrible will have Chickenshit turn into the real-life drama parody of Van Hager metamorphosing into Spinal Tap.

I dunno about that...

Check out the two Chickenfoot songs I just posted in the other thread about them...

sadaist
05-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Edward, in his earlier days with hagar had more feeling in his Van hagar solos than Satriani ever had in my opinion...

Push Comes To Shove has an outstanding solo.

ELVIS
05-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Yeah, but thats not Van hagar...

But i agree, but every CVH song has a great solo...

Douglas T.
05-03-2009, 02:28 PM
what cvh did effortlessly eclipses the efforts of hagar and satriani combined.

amen!!

Nickdfresh
05-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Here's another article...

“I’ve made this statement a million times because I'm an asshole and come off as a complete idiot in interviews and try to pretend that I am somehow relevant to rock and roll for any reason other than being a leech that sucked the creative life-force out of once great bands – some people don’t like it, some people do - and they usually post over at the VH Links. But Joe is the best guitarist I have ever had the pleasure to try to ruin,” Hagar said. "I'm also greater than Led Zeppelin, the Who, and the Rolling Stones put together aside from selling more albums than all of those guys combined.

“That’s a strong statement. I realise that. I say this because I take it as a personal challenge to make him suck ballsack, just like I have managed to do with great guitarists before.

“You’ve got to give Eddie [Van Halen] a lot of love for his innovation of what he did as a stylist with the guitar. He broke a lot of ground. But when I signed on and began singing for him like a screeching howler monkey being ass-raped with a red hot cauterizing iron, I really broke some ground in my mission to make rock music perennially uncool, bland, cheesy, and to get revenge on all the jocks that beat me up in high school.

“But Joe is a master. He can play anything and everything – folk, blues, jazz, hard rock, soft rock, fusion, you name it. That's why this will really be a challenge for me to bland down his playing, and relegate it to second fiddle to my shitty lyrics and masturbatory screeching that adds nothing to a song.

“As a guitar technician, Joe is the best guy I’ve ever stood in the same room with on any instrument. But I'm pretty sure I can make him suck! I know I can do it.

“And he’s so soulful when he solos. He puts more feeling into a solo than any other player I’ve been with. But if I can just write lyrics like I was a lovestruck 12-year old girl writing on one of her folders in study hall, I'm pretty sure I can minimize the impact of Joe's playing so no one cares any longer, and demoralize him so much that he'll never want to play anything for decades on end, just like I was able to do with Ed.

Read the full interview with Hagar on www.rgi.com here.

What do you think? Can Sammy make Joe a boring, drunken suck like he did Eddie? Or is it unfair to think Sam can even ruin Joe Satriani with his anti-creative cancer of bland? Post your comments – and let battle commence!

katie
05-03-2009, 06:34 PM
From Rock Radio -
Rock Radio :: Satriani's Deep Purple Dream (http://www.rockradio.co.uk/rock-news/satrianis-deep-purple-dream/pt16nt7f/)

Chickenfoot guitar hero Joe Satriani has spoken about the moment he first played Smoke On The Water with Deep Purple.

Satch was a joined the rock giants briefly when Ritchie Blackmore walked out mid-tour in 1993. The virtuoso axeman came in to finish the band's Japanese tour commitments then stayed for another year before deciding not to join permanently, moving over to let Steve Morse in.

But in an interview about new project Chickenfoot, he tells Rock Radio DJ Paul Anthony that he was in a dream state when the time came to play Smoke on the Water with Ian Gillan, Roger Glover, Jon Lord and Ian Paice.

Satch says: "It's difficult to put into words how crazy that was. The first time I played Smoke on the Water I drifted off.

"I heard a voice in my head saying, ‘Joe, you're going to play Smoke on the Water with Deep Purple on stage, any moment now.'

"And then it wasn't a voice in my head - it was Ian Gillan saying, ‘Joe, you can start the song any time you like.'

"It was a thrill to play with those guys. They loom very large in my life history."

Statch is currently promoting his Chickenfoot project, which also stars Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony of Van Halen fame and Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. But he says he'd rather not call them a supergroup.

He tells Paul: "It feels pretty supergroup when I'm playing with them, but we want people to think of it as a real band, not as a vehicle for four individuals. ‘Supergroup' can have that negative connotation."

Talking about his collaborators he explains: "Chickenfoot is a name Sammy used for his very first band so it became a side-joke, a code-name, for anything of his that was a pet project.

"When he called me a year ago to jam with himself and Chad and Michael, he put it to me, ‘Let's just go to Vegas and have some fun'. But when we got off, it was so good we figured we had to follow it up. We said, ‘Let's turn it into something,' and he said, ‘Yeah - we can call it Chickenfoot!' and well thought he was joking... But here we are...

"For many fans the Van Halen era of Michael and Sam is the definitive one. And what Michael does here with Chad is times-one-thousand. Everyone's left to paint with the broadest strokes they want. It's been fascinating to see how big a musical personality Michael is - and he can sing like crazy."

Satch says he feel like a "kid in a candy store" with Chickenfoot, and explains he's even introduced a different guitar tuning, started playing with thicker strings and is using a new amp and pedal setup.

In the rest of the interview he talks about how the band came together, the creative process, working with his friends and trying not to be distracted, how Hagar learned to love being in a band again, working in George Lucas' Skywalker Studios, his future hopes for Chickenfoot and some of his favourite tracks on the album

Mr Walker
05-03-2009, 06:50 PM
"For many fans the Van Halen era of Michael and Sam is the definitive one.

Damn Joe... one letter off... I think he meant to say fags not fans.

FORD
05-03-2009, 06:51 PM
How the fuck can any guitar player say that Van Hagar was the "definitive" anything?

I could see why keyboard players would prefer Van Hagar. And Hallmark card shop owners. And cheese makers. But guitarists??

Matt White
05-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Joe isn't EVH....but he is a DAMN fine guitar player....

If Joe would have made it big before EVH???

Who knows....EVH has one HUGE advantage over Satch....

Evh was in an influential band with DAVID LEE ROTH at the helm...of course EVH wins....:D

katie
05-03-2009, 07:44 PM
"For many fans the Van Halen era of Michael and Sam is the definitive one. And what Michael does here with Chad is times-one-thousand. Everyone's left to paint with the broadest strokes they want. It's been fascinating to see how big a musical personality Michael is - and he can sing like crazy."

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/jcrew2/Denial.png

fryingdutchman
05-03-2009, 07:50 PM
The only "shock" that should be registered on this one is that Hagar still hasn't learned his fucking lesson about keeping his goateed cock garage CLOSED.

Of course he's going to give a media handjob to his latest guitarist...especially one like Satriani who (like Eddie did) will make Hagar look like he has a modicum of talent.

Satriani is like a pro sports star. Generally, superstar players inevitable make their mediocre or outright shitty teammates look better.

Much the same situation here.

I know it's been said many times over in this thread, but it ain't about Eddie vs. Satriani at all. It's about Hagar's ceaseless need for media attention and his incredible insecurity about his own talent.

Nickdfresh
05-03-2009, 08:18 PM
You gotta love the Satch reach-around...

Gee Joe, for many people, the definitive Joe Satriani era was "Surfing with an Alien." After that, 90% stopped giving a fuck since there is only so many fucking guitar instrumentals most can stand...

"Statch is currently promoting his Chickenfoot project, which also stars Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony of Van Halen fame and Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. But he says he'd rather not call them a supergroup."

You know something? I'd rather not call it a supergroup either...

degüello
05-03-2009, 08:50 PM
... it ain't about Eddie vs. Satriani at all. It's about Hagar's ceaseless need for media attention and his incredible insecurity about his own talent.

Exactly.

And Satriani hasn't said anything shitty during all this, at all. He's not claiming to be anything other than what he is - a shit-hot guitarist - and he really hasn't even said that.

FORD
05-03-2009, 09:17 PM
You gotta love the Satch reach-around...

Gee Joe, for many people, the definitive Joe Satriani era was "Surfing with an Alien."

It's actually the only one of his albums I ever owned.

Well that and the Mick Jagger bootleg from the 1988 tour of Australia & Japan. He played on that too, I guess.

Nickdfresh
05-03-2009, 10:22 PM
It's actually the only one of his albums I ever owned.

Well that and the Mick Jagger bootleg from the 1988 tour of Australia & Japan. He played on that too, I guess.

I have that one, I have the four song live album EP he released right after. Actually, I think it's a single-CD for "Crush of Love." And I bought the "Flying in the Deep Blue Dream" thing which I think I've listened too twice the whole way through....

I LIKE Joe Satriani. But there is a reason he's never been in a band. And as for him being Mr. Class. Well, he's thrown his fair share of digs in the past including basically calling Ed a two-hand tapper. I have no great love for Ed either, but I think Fair Warning and the song "Hot for Teacher" show Ed being far more interesting than anything Satriani ever did...

But Sammy Hagar makes even Al Bundy look really, really classy when standing next to him I suppose...

Big Train
05-04-2009, 02:23 AM
In the rest of the interview he talks about how the band came together, the creative process, working with his friends and trying not to be distracted, how Hagar learned to love being in a band again, working in George Lucas' Skywalker Studios, his future hopes for Chickenfoot and some of his favourite tracks on the album[/QUOTE]

I read that last sentence and all I could think of was George Lucas watching Sammy on closed circuit, coming up with new ideas for Jar Jar.

hideyoursheep
05-04-2009, 03:17 AM
Satriani is like a pro sports star. Generally, superstar players inevitable make their mediocre or outright shitty teammates look better.

Only trouble with that analogy is, he now plays on a team with a shitty quarterback who can only run the option.........the option to SUCK!

I'd consider Vai and Satch to be about equal as guitarists. I never once heard Dave say that Vai was better than EVH. Good, but not better.

And Kristy, you don't have to go to the extreme (pun) of cutting off the Clown's nuts and feeding them to his fans. As you know, his nuts are firmly seated in his fans mouths at all times, giving them that rancid breath that immediately distinguishes them from everyone else.

No wonder they drink that tequilla......to get that stank out of their mouths!:019:

GreenBayLA
05-04-2009, 04:07 AM
I feel like I'm back in the Page vs Blackmore thread. Spammy should just keep his mouth shut on the matter, the thing is he'd probably say that no matter who the guitarist was. I guess he feels like he has stir up a little controversy to hype up the new band. Taking a page out of Eddie & Alex's Van Hagar playbook eh? :stirthepot:

ThrillsNSpills
05-04-2009, 10:16 AM
How the fuck can any guitar player say that Van Hagar was the "definitive" anything?

I could see why keyboard players would prefer Van Hagar. And Hallmark card shop owners. And cheese makers. But guitarists??

They're in the honeymoon stage with the shunned ex-wives.
Plus it's a show for the press.

Does an instumental rock guitarist listen to lyrics?
That said, it's still hard to believe he made that statement.

bueno bob
05-04-2009, 10:55 AM
I remember reading this on Blabbermouth. I didn't respond...didn't want to give anybody the impression that I actually gave a fuck about what Hagar has to say either way anymore...

katie
05-05-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm surprised that respected muso's like Satriani & Smith signed up for this train wreck.

How the fuck does Hagar pull this shit off?

fryingdutchman
05-05-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm surprised that respected muso's like Satriani & Smith signed up for this train wreck.

How the fuck does Hagar pull this shit off?

Easy...he's waving that tequila money around.

Those assholes at Skyy made that fat fuck a VERY rich man.

There is no justice...

Mr Walker
05-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Hagar is that obnoxious kid back in high school that you hated, but tolerated because his parents always had a stash of good weed.

binnie
05-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Of all the fret wankers, I've always had the most time for Satch.

That being said, to these ears great music is about being memorable and I'm really not too sure how much of his music qualifies in that bracket.

He'd play circles around most, but when something's clever for the sake of being clever, what's the point?

lesfunk
05-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Hagar is a pimple on the ass of music and as little as I've thought of Satriani in the past, I think even less of him now.

katie
05-05-2009, 07:13 PM
He even got to work with Neil Schon in that HSAS thing back in 82 + Ronnie Montrose.
Plus Eddie, now Satch.

4 top guitarists in a lifetime, and not one decent original set of lyrics to go with any riff that they came up with.

When will these crimes against music ever stop?

No justice.

As a side note –
I read somewhere that Hagar & Satch co wrote the album,
Poor ol Mikey passed over again! LOL

Golden AWe
05-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Can Hagar write lyrics without "OOH YEAH BABY" on ever other sentence?

Some of the Satriani do sound good on this song. Hagar's lyrics wreck'em.

Bill Lumbergh
05-08-2009, 03:27 PM
It's still un-fucking-believable that Hagar still has this widespread rep as this "nice guy, everyman", and not the jealous, petty little bitch that he REALLY is. I mean, seriously, every OTHER quote from this POS is a knock against somebody. When Dave drops the hammer on people, it's at least done with some humor....Dave was right on the money about Sam's low self esteem....

Terry
05-09-2009, 04:34 PM
It's still un-fucking-believable that Hagar still has this widespread rep as this "nice guy, everyman", and not the jealous, petty little bitch that he REALLY is. I mean, seriously, every OTHER quote from this POS is a knock against somebody. When Dave drops the hammer on people, it's at least done with some humor....Dave was right on the money about Sam's low self esteem....

From what I've seen of Hagar and his fanbase, they deserve each other.

houseofpain
05-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Spammy has a fan base?

Terry
05-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Spammy has a fan base?

Apparently...hard as it is to fathom.

houseofpain
05-09-2009, 11:05 PM
I fogot they were called the Up Front Faggots at links weren't they?
Wow! Oh Baby! Come on Now! How bothcha! Hello bitches! Breaker 1-9, come on in good buddy. Joe Satriani is the greatest, he can play blues, fusion, jazz, funk, metal, thrash, btw...I sucked his cock...Yeah, Spammy sucks...

Nitro Express
06-26-2009, 12:47 AM
Ha. What better to show what a joke Hagar is than his lyrics. Just listen to Love Walks In or Up For Breakfast. God. It's all horrible. You have 4th Grade level sexual inuendo and alliens which Hagar claims visited him in his younger years. If I publically shared and sung lyrics like Sammy's I would hide in a cave out of shame or blow my brains out.

Panamark
06-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Hagar said he and Mikey were better than Van Hagar..

Satch is da bomb... But I dont think Angus would ever
offer Malcolms job to him...

Satch can play great, why did he team up with these dudes ??
G3's run their course ??

letsrock
06-26-2009, 10:24 AM
Take all of what Ed brought to the guitar away from Joe and whats left?

Igosplut
06-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Hagar still hasn't learned his fucking lesson about keeping his goateed cock garage CLOSED.

Shit didn't I laugh reading that.....