PDA

View Full Version : Priest to play entire Bristish Steel album this tour!

Mr. Vengeance
05-05-2009, 10:58 PM
This will RULE!!!!

>>As previously reported, JUDAS PRIEST announced recently that they would celebrating the 30th anniversary of their legendary 1980 album British Steel by performing the whole album in its entirety during their upcoming North American tour with WHITESNAKE. When you hear bands from the black and death metal scenes citing Judas Priest as an influence, you can't help but think that some of them were weaned on tracks like 'Rapid Fire' and 'Steeler'. They are the precursor to extreme metal. "They are angry aren't they? Very angry," Halford concurs. "And I can't wait for that moment in the show to see the trade-off between Glenn (Tipton) and K.K. (Downing) as they start flying. It's a relentless attack; that's what it is. I love the way that it ends - the ending makes you feel that you are either dangling over the edge of a cliff or about to leap off the Tower Bridge in London. The emotional climax is amazing. You are dancing on hell-fire." "It's going to be great of course and to be going out with David and the Whitesnake boys is an extra kick. Isn't Slide It In 25 years old as well? (note: yes, released in 1984). It's just a great combination of these two bands performing together. As you know we did it in South America a few years ago and we said if we ever have the opportunity to hook up again in North America we'd do it."

Mr. Vengeance
05-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Uh...make that British...

lesfunk
05-05-2009, 11:30 PM
What? No Nostradamus?? Bullshit I say!

Mr. Vengeance
05-06-2009, 09:40 AM
What? No Nostradamus?? Bullshit I say!

They'd prefer the audience not sleep during the show....

atomicpunk5151
05-06-2009, 11:58 PM
How bout they play the whole.........

SAD WINGS OF DESTINY!

Bill Lumbergh
05-07-2009, 02:57 AM
Yeah, I was never really a big Sad Wings fan, but I'm totally fucking into it lately for some reason....

atomicpunk5151
05-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Yeah, I was never really a big Sad Wings fan, but I'm totally fucking into it lately for some reason....

Back in the 80s I was much more into 80s Priest as well. But now I really dig the old stuff as well. Victim of Changes is epic.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hXqb_3fR6Ok&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hXqb_3fR6Ok&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TXToYkkSg9M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TXToYkkSg9M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Bill Lumbergh
05-08-2009, 01:58 AM
Epic stuff....Sad Wings and Stained Class are at the top of the heap for me now....

Seshmeister
05-08-2009, 05:09 AM
The shocking thing is that they will be wearing the same costumes too...

binnie
05-08-2009, 05:40 AM
The shocking thing is that they will be wearing the same costumes too...

Indeed - Halford is the Widow Twanky of heavy metal these days. The problem is that he takes himself WAY too seriously, as though he actually believes that he is a metal GOD.

The last tour was much, much better than the 'Angel of Retribution' jaunt, and I was mightily impressed with their performance - once Halford took off his silly 'Nostradamus' costume, that is.

I'm looking forward to this tour though - assuming that they bring it to the UK. 'British Steel' was the high watermark of Priest as a creative force - everything for 'Sad Wings...' up to then was a wave of classic metal.

Then it was a rapid journey to mediocre-ville, IMO

sonrisa salvaje
05-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Indeed - Halford is the Widow Twanky of heavy metal these days. The problem is that he takes himself WAY too seriously, as though he actually believes that he is a metal GOD.

In my humble opinion, i think Rob Halford is absolutely a metal god. Just not metal God.

Seshmeister
05-09-2009, 03:18 PM

The last tour was much, much better than the 'Angel of Retribution' jaunt, and I was mightily impressed with their performance - once Halford took off his silly 'Nostradamus' costume, that is.

I was at the one before with the Scorpions and we left early.

As you say it was completely without humour even though you had men in their late 50s wearing spandex led by something from the Blue Oyster Bar...

ELVIS
05-09-2009, 03:26 PM
'British Steel' was the high watermark of Priest as a creative force

No. Screaming For Vengance was...

And they could never play that stuff again...

:elvis:

ELVIS
05-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Oh great...

Whitesnake will be there too...

Count me out!

binnie
05-10-2009, 03:24 PM
No. Screaming For Vengance was...

And they could never play that stuff again...

Nah, I really think that were entering the downward spiral by that point. I think that 70s Priest is infinitely superior to 80s Priest, and I see 'British Steel' as the end of the glory-era. Just my opinion.........

atomicpunk5151
05-26-2009, 10:05 PM
I will be picking up tickets this weekend when they go on sale.

Priest, Whitesnake & Tesla in Sacramento, CA in August. Should be a good time.

rocknrolldork
05-27-2009, 08:40 AM
JP is going to be rehearsing here in Indy for a couple weeks prior to the next leg of the tour. I may need to take a day or 2 off work and try to get into the practice venue.

katie
05-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Nah, I really think that were entering the downward spiral by that point. I think that 70s Priest is infinitely superior to 80s Priest, and I see 'British Steel' as the end of the glory-era. Just my opinion.........

Spot on Binnie!

Point of Entry from 1981 comes across as rushed with a dull mix.

But Screaming 1982 was a great album.

Defenders of the faith 1984 - 1st couple of tracks then it's shitsville all the way on that record and for the rest of their career musically.

Why the hell did they stay with that boring pub drummer Dave Holland for so long?

He was shite

Mr. Vengeance
05-27-2009, 09:08 PM
I really have no problem with any Priest albums until Turbo. Up until then, they made albums that always had scorching metal, even if it was getting more poppy. Turbo and then Ram it Down were just wimpy, synthy albums with no guts or metal.

But c'mon, they came back in fine form with Painkiller. That was KICKASS!!!!

sonrisa salvaje
05-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Hopefully, Whitesnake will not be performing their Slip of the Tongue album in its entirity. :hee::biggrin:

Mr. Vengeance
05-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Hopefully, Whitesnake will not be performing their Slip of the Tongue album in its entirity. :hee::biggrin:

If they did Slide it In in it's entirety, I'd love it!

Hardrock69
05-29-2009, 10:08 AM
This will rule. I got a good seat on the floor for their show in Gnashville.

Last time I saw Whitesnake in 1986 I was excited to see David Coverdale for the first time.

Unfortunately they bored the living shit outta me. I could not wait for them to be done.

sonrisa salvaje
05-29-2009, 12:05 PM
This will rule. I got a good seat on the floor for their show in Gnashville.

Last time I saw Whitesnake in 1986 I was excited to see David Coverdale for the first time.

Unfortunately they bored the living shit outta me. I could not wait for them to be done.

Was Great White opening at that point or was that later in 87?

Hardrock69
06-01-2009, 04:32 PM
No. Whitesnake was opening for Motley Crue. it was 1986

WACF
06-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Was Great White opening at that point or was that later in 87?

Great White opened for Whitesnake on the "Slip of the tongue" tour...