X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Train
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Was it worth it?

Chrysler documents show the Treasury will forgive the 7.2 billion in financing they recently provided.

Chrysler won't repay federal bailout 'loans' - May. 5, 2009

Now, couldn't we just have let them fail in the first place and save the 7.2 billion that this fun exercise was? Think of the Universal health care, the clean energy, the "shovel ready" projects that could have been funded with this waste.
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
    Chrysler documents show the Treasury will forgive the 7.2 billion in financing they recently provided.

Chrysler won't repay federal bailout 'loans' - May. 5, 2009

Now, couldn't we just have let them fail in the first place and save the 7.2 billion that this fun exercise was? Think of the Universal health care, the clean energy, the "shovel ready" projects that could have been funded with this waste.

This will barely scratch the news cycle. They're still discussing the fact Obama ordered his burger with Dijon mustard and left a $5 tip.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

But it wasn't just a burger, it was a HELL burger. Actually I'm surprised it didn't bring back another round of "Obama is the ANTICHRIST !1!!!!!111!" hysteria.

As for Chrysler, I'm not crazy about the bailout, just like I wasn't crazy about the one Reagan gave them. But to have them go out of business entirely at this point would have been far worse. They certainly could do a lot better as far as adapting to the 21st century, and hopefully they will. But at least they serve a useful purpose.

Which is more than I can say about anyone at Goldman Sachs, AIG, or the health insurance companies that Max Baucus is shilling for. They serve no legitimate purpose at all, and shouldn't get one goddamn thing from any of us.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• LoungeMachine
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

Sounds to me like Chrysler now owes every man, woman, and child in America a new car.

Originally posted by Kristy
        Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
        Originally posted by cadaverdog
        I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
          Sounds to me like Chrysler now owes every man, woman, and child in America a new car.

Ugh, but it would still be a Chrysler.
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Yeah, I hope FIATChrysler builds better cars than the Iacocca post first bailout Chrysler did.

I've owned two Chrysler products. One was an 81 Dodge Diplomat (ex state patrol car) the other was one of those goddamn K cars. Night and day difference.

The Diplomat ran great until it was well over 200K miles. Not to mention all the shit I got away with in that car, because cops never pulled me over, thinking I was one of their own.

The K car? Total piece of shit. Easy enough to work on, but it had to be, because you would spend a lot of time doing so.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by LoungeMachine

A $20 car.

Can you imagine a $20 Chrysler?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

A drop in the bucket compared to what we spent to bail out banks/mortgage brokerage houses....

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by sadaist
                  This will barely scratch the news cycle. They're still discussing the fact Obama ordered his burger with Dijon mustard and left a $5 tip.
                  It's terrible, he should have ordered Freedom mustard...

Comment

• Big Train
                    Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                    But it wasn't just a burger, it was a HELL burger. Actually I'm surprised it didn't bring back another round of "Obama is the ANTICHRIST !1!!!!!111!" hysteria.

As for Chrysler, I'm not crazy about the bailout, just like I wasn't crazy about the one Reagan gave them. But to have them go out of business entirely at this point would have been far worse. They certainly could do a lot better as far as adapting to the 21st century, and hopefully they will. But at least they serve a useful purpose.

Which is more than I can say about anyone at Goldman Sachs, AIG, or the health insurance companies that Max Baucus is shilling for. They serve no legitimate purpose at all, and shouldn't get one goddamn thing from any of us.
                    That's my point, NONE of these businesses should have been given a bailout. They have other means to handle their needs. If they don't, they go out of business and another company steps in.

American auto companies need to be much smaller to be profitable. Yes, some people will get pushed aside, but at the same time, smaller competitors could (and more than likely) would spring up, given the existing idling supply and labor chains available to do so.

This bailout did nothing but buy a quarter to stall and try different schemes out, but the fundamentals and end result were never in doubt.

Nick, it may be a drop in the bucket, but it's one I would love to have back. AIG at least has a shot of paying us back.
                    Last edited by Big Train; 05-07-2009, 11:42 AM.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
                      That's my point, NONE of these businesses should have been given a bailout. They have other means to handle their needs. If they don't, they go out of business and another company steps in.

American auto companies need to be much smaller to be profitable. Yes, some people will get pushed aside, but at the same time, smaller competitors could (and more than likely) would spring up, given the existing idling supply and labor chains available to do so.

This bailout did nothing but buy a quarter to stall and try different schemes out, but the fundamentals and end result were never in doubt.

Nick, it may be a drop in the bucket, but it's one I would love to have back. AIG at least has a shot of paying us back.
                      It's not that simple. You have to look at what the alternative would have been. To let Chrysler fail would have had enormous implications to our economy - much, much worse than the $7.2 billion that was "lost". The snowball effect would have been devastating.

Keep in mind that it still might happen. Chrysler could fail in its efforts to restructure after bankruptcy. GM is an even bigger concern. If GM fails, we are all screwed.
                      ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                      Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        A $20 car.

Can you imagine a $20 Chrysler?

Imagine?

I've owned one.

And $20 was $5 over blue book.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                          It's not that simple. .
                          It's the internets.

Everything is that simple.....

Comment

• Blaze
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

maybe it is that simple, what if a US Agriculture company that grow plants and raise animals commercially had gotten this big and begin to fail or failed.

you say, oh I would grow my own, but gardens do not grow over night and most of us do not have a place to put a dairy animal. Not to mention providing meat and eggs.
                            "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
                            sigpic

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

If Monsanto or ADM failed, it would be the best thing possible for the entire planet. No more GMO's, no more High Fructose Corn Poison, and we could legalize hemp and get on with the business of more efficient biofuels, and growing REAL food again.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...