• Show
Clear All
  • DR CHIP
    Foot Soldier
    • Jan 2004

Vai kicks Ed's Ass

It is an age old debate here...

Who is better Ed or Vai....

Seriously...Vai would kick Ed's ass on stage right now...

After hearing the new song...Vai would simply kick Ed's ass all over the stage...

"Steve Vai is to the guitar what DLR is to the stage"
  • tjvhou812
    Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

eddie would run circles around vai,
    i thought you was stuppid, now i know it
    Originally posted by RIKK

Now, tj was indeed a major cunt. Indeed, he probably still is.

Comment

• DR CHIP
      Foot Soldier
      • Jan 2004

tjv...word to the wise...better to be thought a fool than to post and remove all doubt...

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Is it an age old debate even worth having?

How do you quantify who's a "better" guitarist? Speed? Technical ability? If what was played provokes an emotional response (and isn't that all going to depend on the individual listener?)

Vai and Satriani...gotta be honest, here. The way both of them make themselves a little too readily available for every guitar mag on the planet and consciously portray themselves as guitar "heroes" does nothing to alter my perceptions of them. Neither are the be-all, end-all of guitarists. Wouldn't call either of them innovative, or especially original. Two talented players with high visibility.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DR CHIP
          Foot Soldier
          • Jan 2004

Vai sounds like Vai to me...he sure packs in guitar players every night to hear him...

But you are correct, music is subjective....

My point though is that Vai would kick Ed's ass on stage right now...IMHO

Comment

• dave_is_vh
            Sniper
            • Apr 2004

Vai is very good and has his own unique style. But Ed is a legend and more talented.

However, Vai is much more intelligent, not addicted to alcohol and being an asshole, and gives his fans what they want. The same can't be said for pitiful Ed.
            "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Comment

• darkknight
              Groupie
              • Mar 2004

I grew up acknowledging Ed as a guitargod and nobody could touch him. However, that view slowly disappeared over time. To say that EVH is more talented than Vai is ridiculous. True, Ed is a guitar legend and Vai rode his coattails to fame, but Vai has surpassed him and there's no way Ed can touch him. Vai has continued to grow as a player, musician, writer, arranger, producer, engineer, etc. Ed has remained stagnant as a drunk, drug addict, a perpetual manic depressant and hasn't played a new lick since VH1. If there are any doubts, buy Vai's new dvd and watch him rip it up with Billy Sheehan and Tony MacAlpine. Ed got showed up by Steve Morse and Albert Lee on stage about 12 years ago. Oh yeah, he did his elephant call and horsie sounds. That was cute.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

ed ruined his own legend with touching the keyboards and letting the bridge drone troll do the guitar playing in stage...that's when ed appeared in the keyboard - sections of the magazines...

when was the last time that you'd hear ed play something innovative and that made you go "wow"? not on that new "song"... he hasn't got "it" anymore...he's like an old tennis legend who invented a new spin on the ball....but now all the youngsters know how to play it...only better, faster and with more drive...
                Roth Army Icon
                First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• dave_is_vh
                  Sniper
                  • Apr 2004

Vai may be more innovative than Ed now, but if you look at their entire careers Vai is no match for Ed. In fact, if it wasn't for Ed, Vai might be working at the Via Vai Italian restaurant in San Francisco for a living.

Of course, the most innovative rock star of all is Dave.
                  "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Comment

• clod speeney
                    Full On Cocktard
                    • Jan 2004

Ed has more respect as a "guitar player" but Vai has more respect as a person. That's why Vai can be continuously creative and productive. Whereas Ed has to make up a bout with cancer (it was prevention, right?) so people can feel sorry for him.

Well Ed, I don't.
                    The jellies kicked out the jams...

Comment

• classicdude
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Apr 2004

Ed was the master when it came to coming up with unheard of sounds or trying things nobody tried before. Judging from the latest spam song, I'd have to say the torch was passed to Vai or Satriani.

Comment

• freak
                        Sniper
                        • May 2004

Vai grew as a musician.

Eddie played the same solo for 20 plus years.

Vai started a record label dedicated to releases by real musicians.

Eddie drank himself out of a marriage and a recording contract.

Vai is clearly ahead in the game of life.

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

When it comes to solos, Vai can play faster than Ed. Probably has more technical ability than Ed as well.

In terms of expanding the borders of the instrument, Ed did more for guitar than Vai did. Not saying Vai isn't talented, but what he does isn't anything new. Sounds great, but not quite as original.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• freak
                            Sniper
                            • May 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                            In terms of expanding the borders of the instrument, Ed did more for guitar than Vai did. Not saying Vai isn't talented, but what he does isn't anything new. Sounds great, but not quite as original.
                            Sure, the blueprint of 80's guitar was his. You just can't rest on your laurels though.

It's pretty telling when a musician of that stature and influence can fuck up enough to be dropped by the label they made millions for.

If he were to drop his bullshit and just get out there and play, he could easily regain his place.

I'm not holding my breath though.

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Outside of Guitar World-philes, not really sure there's a mass audience for the style Ed pioneered, so even if Ed makes the effort there may not be a summit to reach. When I listen to what's on contemporary rock radio today, I'm not hearing a lot put out in terms of technical ability.

Think the timing was right when Van Halen reached their peak in the early 1980s regarding what a rock audience wanted in terms of both great songwriting and musicianship from a band along with sheer entertainment.

Seems like these days many are willing to settle for less on all fronts from today's bands.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...