• Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Is the Recession Over?

Extra5/21/2009 12:01 PM ET
    The recession? It's over, says economist

Jobless claims have peaked, says a member of the bureau charged with declaring when US recessions begin and end. And in every recession since 1974, the peak in jobless claims has come within weeks of the bottom.
    [Related content: jobs, recession, economy, financial services, stock market]

By Donald Luskin, SmartMoney

When will this horrible recession be over? According to one surprising source, it's over right now.

The source is Robert J. Gordon, an acclaimed macroeconomist and professor at Northwestern University. It's surprising to learn he thinks the recession is over, because he is one of seven members of the elite Business Cycle Dating Committee of the National Bureau of Economic Analysis. These are the people who decide officially, for the record books, when recessions begin and end -- usually many months after the fact, when the decision is really obvious. I'm unaware of any previous case in which a member of this committee has stepped forward and declared the end of a recession in real time.

Gordon bases his gutsy call on an indicator that he says the committee never even looks at: claims for unemployment benefits. He's talking about the so-called jobless claims number that is released every Thursday morning before the market opens.

Based on detailed data from state agencies, it reports the number of workers who have asked for unemployment benefits in the previous week. As Gordon points out, there is no other major macroeconomic statistics that comes out so frequently and so close to real time.

* Talk back: Are Americans really struggling?

According to Gordon's research, in every recession since 1974, the peak in jobless claims came within weeks of the bottom of the recession.

This is a remarkable research result, in my opinion. I was impressed a year ago when economist Edward Leamer of UCLA wrote a paper that accurately explained recession timing with just three variables -- the unemployment rate, total payroll jobs and industrial production. But Gordon has done Leamer two better. Gordon has it down to a single variable: claims. And because claims data are available nearly immediately, investors can use Gordon's insight to make actual trading decisions.

Claims are typically reported as a four-week moving average, to smooth out some of the random noise from week to week. All Gordon has done, really, is to make the simple observation that the peak in the four-week moving average coincides perfectly with the ends of recessions. I charted the data to prove it to myself, and he's right. Here it is:
    Jobless chart © SmartMoney.com

One thing jumps out of the chart that has nothing to do with Gordon's indicator -- the fact that in this recession, we still haven't exceeded the number of claims in the 1981-82 recession.

As bad as it seems today, we've lived through worse, and not all that long ago. It was a lot worse in 1981-82, too, because the size of the work force was smaller then. So the same number of claims represents a larger percentage. Adjusted for the size of the work force, today's claims are just a little more than half of what they were at the 1982 peak.

Now let's ask a tough question about Gordon's indicator. How do you really know when there has been a "peak" in claims? Just because the four-week moving average turns down for a couple weeks, how do we know it won't just turn up again and go to new highs?

Gordon himself takes on this criticism. Writing more than two weeks ago, when the four-week moving average was already 3.1% off its early April peak, he noted that the pattern of the decline in magnitude and timing nearly perfectly matched all the previous instances in which no subsequent higher peak developed. So far he's right. Looking at the data as of May 14, the four-week moving average of claims (pre-adjustment) was down 4.3%, so the early April reading is looking more and more like a real peak. (The Labor Department on Thursday said the number of newly laid-off Americans requesting unemployment insurance dropped slightly last week after spiking due to auto layoffs.)

The weekly claims data released May 14 did show a modest rise in the number of claims after two weeks of declines, causing the four-week moving average to tick higher. That's no reason to throw out Gordon's big idea. No one expects numbers like this to move only in one direction week after week. A smart investor always looks for what might go wrong.

* Video: New jobless claims drop, benefit rolls reach 6.7 million

Claims jumped two weeks ago as Chrysler shut factories after filing for bankruptcy, an event that brings up an unpleasant memory -- a memory of the one time Gordon's indicator got it wrong.

Take a look at the chart again. Note the recession of 1969-1970, in which a seeming peak in claims was then followed by another peak -- not a higher peak, but enough to delay the end of the recession. According to Gordon, this second peak was caused by a bitter strike at General Motors (GM, news, msgs), which lasted 67 grueling days. Gordon says, "This was a big deal at the time when GM had a 50% share of the U.S. automobile market and 400,000 members of the United Auto Workers."

It wouldn't make much sense for autoworkers to go on strike at this point, given the near-death state of the industry. And the industry is a much less important element of the economy than it used to be. Nevertheless, the travails of GM and Chrysler wouldn't be making headlines if they didn't still count for something.
    Slow and painful recovery
    Could the auto industry foil Gordon's indicator today just like it did in 1970?

Never say never, but I actually doubt it. There is too much other evidence that the worst is over for this economy. I continue to believe that the only truly profound problem facing the economy has been the banking crisis, and all the evidence is that it has now passed. The government's "stress tests" of the banking system have identified the weak ones, and there is a coherent plan to bolster them.

This is confirmed by evidence from the most risk-sensitive markets. The global markets for credit default swaps -- what amount to insurance policies on risk in financial instruments of all kinds, from commercial real estate to emerging markets -- have recovered profoundly from the panic lows of two months ago.

I still think that the recovery from this recession will be slow and painful. The economy is going to have to fight the headwinds of the enormous government debt that has been loaded on to deal with the recession, and with the higher taxes and inflation that will flow from that.

But I agree with Gordon. We've seen the worst. The bottom is in.
    Stock

SmartMoney.com
    Fund data provided by Morningstar, Inc. © 2009. All rights reserved.
  • Bob_R
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Q. Is the Recession Over?

A. No!
    Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

The Fed is flooding the world with more dollars and it's creating a sucker's rally. It won't last and there will be no real recovery until we get a real economy of producing and selling instead of shuffling paper and telling lies.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

Not by a long stretch.

Reports are out this week that both the USA and UK are in danger of losing their AAA rating on the global market due to the size of government debt.
        The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

I don't believe the really bad times have begun yet...

How many jobs have been created under the Obamanation ??

How many smaller banks have failed since Obama has been in office compared to the big banks that have been bailed out more than once ??

This recession will last for YEARS!

Comment

• sadaist
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jul 2004

Definitely not in California. We are about to go totally bust as a state. Sucks for sure, but will be interesting to see how or if we can pull ourselves out of this current mess. Arnold has fucked this state real good. But in all fairness, he's not the only politician in the state. Pelosi, Feinstein, and the rest of the lot (can't forget about Grey Davis) are all a bunch of idiots.
            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I think we've bottomed.

To clarify, the 'recession ending' doesn't mean that the hard times are over, merely that we've stabilized and stopped the downward slope...

Comment

• sadaist
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                I think we've bottomed.

To clarify, the 'recession ending' doesn't mean that the hard times are over, merely that we've stabilized and stopped the downward slope...
                Then the big question...how long do we sit in this "stabilized" period of recession before we begin to heal? I'm guessing most of the country will begin doing well far earlier than CA.
                “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                  Then the big question...how long do we sit in this "stabilized" period of recession before we begin to heal? I'm guessing most of the country will begin doing well far earlier than CA.
                  The prediction is like five years before we get back to full employment...

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

The downward slope is just gaining momentum...

Comment

• sadaist
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                      The downward slope is just gaining momentum...
                      You think it's going to get a lot worse? You might be right, but damn...for everyone's sake I hope you're wrong.

Comment

• Big Train
                        Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

I think Nick you are partially right, we are stable for the moment. There are any number of complicating factors (mentioned already) that could throw us off the cliff. To get it going again is whole other story. What new growth industries is America truly engaged in? Not many by my count.

Call me pleasantly surprised by my state's votes this week. Let the cutting begin, finally...

Comment

• sadaist
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Big Train

Call me pleasantly surprised by my state's votes this week. Let the cutting begin, finally...
                          The problem is that the state starts with teachers & police force. Here's a terrible example of govt waste. In La Jolla, there is a man made jetty forming a small ocean pool with no waves or rip current. From this you can swim out to the ocean, or remain safely inside this small cove. It's called the Childrens Pool and has been around for 75+ years. A rich lady donated the money for it long ago so children of SD could have a great place to swim in the ocean. Anyways, about 15 years ago seals began to take over. Now people aren't allowed to swim there, the water in the pool is heavily polluted from the seals, and animal rights activists have been fighting the whole way. The city has wasted tons of money fighting lawsuits from both sides. Well, the supreme court finally decided the seals gotta go and it needs to be used for it's original intended use...human swimming. So their plan to get rid of the seals? Several years of recorded dog barking from 6 am to sunset to drive them away at a cost to taxpayers of just over $684,000 per year. And this is not on the cutting block? WTF!

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2007

The falling may be over, but we're still in the hole.

Comment

• GAR
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                              In La Jolla, there is a man made jetty forming a small ocean pool with no waves or rip current. From this you can swim out to the ocean, or remain safely inside this small cove. It's called the Childrens Pool
                              I think it's time we all joined the Baby Seals' Club and went to "bat" for the children, if you know what I mean.

Comment

Working...