• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

GM's "Hail Mary?"

GM bondholders accept deal

The agreement could help the automaker avoid bankruptcy. Reports on durable goods and jobless claims are better than expected, but a report on new-home sales disappoints. Time Warner will spin off AOL. Yahoo's CEO says she'd sell to Microsoft for 'boatloads' of cash.

By Charley Blaine and Elizabeth Strott

General Motors (GM, news, msgs) this morning put the brakes on its cruise toward bankruptcy.

The automaker said its major bondholders have accepted a revised deal to exchange their debt for equity in a new company.

The bondholders will get 10% equity and then the option to buy another 15% of the company when the company hits certain market capitalization levels. The bondholders have to accept it pursuant to section 363(b) of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.

The deal still needs acceptance from all of GM's bondholders.

"Implementation of this proposal would result in a New GM with a healthy balance sheet, putting the new company on a clear path toward long-term viability and success," GM said in a statement.

Shares of GM, which had been halted in early trading, were up 14 cents, or 12.2%, to $1.29 this morning.

Stocks turned lower after a disappointing report on new-home sales was released. At 10:15 a.m. ET, the Dow Jones Industrial Average ($INDU) was down 42 points to 8,258. The Nasdaq Composite Index ($COMPX)had lost 12 points to 1,719, and the Standard & Poor's 500 Index ($INX) was down 4 points at 889.

The yield on the 10-year Treasury note jumped Wednesday afternoon to nearly 3.7% from 3.5% Tuesday and 2.24% on Dec. 31. The spread between two-year notes and Treasury notes hit 2.75 percentage points, the biggest gap since August 2003. The higher yield threatened to push up interest rates in key areas like mortgages and consumer loans. The Obama administration needs low interest rates to help the housing market and the broader economy to recover from the steepest recession since World War II.

"The equity market and Treasury market are reflecting the current concerns about increased Treasury issuance," Craig Peckham of Jefferies told The Wall Street Journal. "It's just more and more supply, and we're really concerned about pressure on the dollar from Treasury issuance and the Fed's balance sheet."

This morning, the yield on the 10-year Treasury moved down slightly to 3.68%.

More on GM's Hail Mary deal

Bankruptcy is still likely for GM, bu the deal with bondholders would make it a smoother process.

On Wednesday, bondholders rejected the offer to exchange $27 billion in debt for stock in a new company.

GM has until Monday to present the federal government with a restructuring plan, and it needed deals with its bondholders and with the United Auto Workers union. The UAW announced

In related news, negotiations on the future of General Motors' (GM, news, msgs) European operations broke down overnight after the U.S. carmaker reportedly demanded an additional $415 million in cash.

Meanwhile, New York bankruptcy court judge Arthur Gonzalez is set to rule today on whether Chrysler can emerge from bankruptcy.

He is expected to rule that the sale of the company's most viable assets to a group of investors led by Italy's Fiat (FIATY, news, msgs) can go through. If that's the case, Chrysler will have spent just 30 days in Chapter 11.

MSNBC
  • Big Train
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

If they can coerce them into eating it with a loss and a smaller piece with the option to buy in for another 15% down the road. I imagine a number of bond holders will tell them to pound sand. I'm sure they are being pressured. Gibby is probably threatening them, take or there will be problems.

There choice is try to get a fair share at a highly toxic GM or take a huge hit and a smaller piece of a slightly less toxic GM. That's a shitty choice.

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

So sad. GM filed bankruptcy today. I wish my granddad was alive to discuss it with him. He owned GM dealerships from the mid 50's through 1990 when he sold & retired. At the end he had just the flagship Chevrolet dealership. As a kid, I got to spend weekends messing around there. Sounds lame, but it's a lot more fun than you might think. Playing with the copy machines, there was a huge helium tank & crate of balloons, a 3 wheeled golf cart for the mechanics to get around the back lot in, and a 6 seat cart for shuttling customers around. Sunday afternoons the place was empty and back lot was my personal playground. It was also my first place of employment, as well as my older brothers...both working in the parts dept.

Oh yeah, I got to play catch with Mark Malone...quarterback for the Steelers, came to the Chargers for a short stint. He did a commercial for us and his mom worked for my granddad. That was kinda cool. Got to play catch with an NFL QB. Met a few other minor stars like Bill Muncie (hydroplane boat champion..RIP), local radio personalities & such.

I just mention this stuff to show that I basically grew up on a Chevy lot, so I'm very saddened by this current state of affairs. I always wished this kind of thing onto Ford...(the car, not the conspiracy theorist beer connoisseur).

“Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Big Train
        Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

It is a sad day. I actually found myself agreeing with Michael Moore, so it is a crazy day at least.

His "goodbye, GM" speech on his site actually made economic sense. If we are going in the direction of Government Motors, as we ARE now owners, we might as well use the facilities to to start making things on the wish list a reality (i.e. high speed rail, clean buses, electric vehicles, parts for wind and solar). The plants are there and we own them. The worker base is still there and something has to be done. Why not pull a WWII at this point and convert those factories and workers to do what we need for the future. The associated costs are staggering, but the One has us on this path now, so put up or shut up at this point.

Comment

• Big Train
          Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Hummer was purchased by a Chinese company today who claim they will keep it all intact, yet future models will get much better gas mileage. I believe that claim from the Chinese. Why can't I from Detroit?

Comment

• kwame k
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Big Train
            It is a sad day. I actually found myself agreeing with Michael Moore, so it is a crazy day at least.

His "goodbye, GM" speech on his site actually made economic sense. If we are going in the direction of Government Motors, as we ARE now owners, we might as well use the facilities to to start making things on the wish list a reality (i.e. high speed rail, clean buses, electric vehicles, parts for wind and solar). The plants are there and we own them. The worker base is still there and something has to be done. Why not pull a WWII at this point and convert those factories and workers to do what we need for the future. The associated costs are staggering, but the One has us on this path now, so put up or shut up at this point.
            The one thing Obama said in one of his speeches, in Detroit, was that we should be the leading manufacture of green technology. We have the factories and the skilled labor, too. Why Granholm hasn't done more towards this end is criminal, IMO.
            Originally posted by vandeleur
            E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Hummer was purchased by a Chinese company today who claim they will keep it all intact, yet future models will get much better gas mileage. I believe that claim from the Chinese. Why can't I from Detroit?
              LOL You believe a claims from executives whose fellow companies put lead in childrens' toys and antifreeze in toothpaste? Mmmm'kay....

Comment

• Big Train
                Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Well because they build cheap reliable cars that get good mileage, which Americans seem to prefer 3 to 1 which is why we are in this mess. That's why.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Well because they build cheap reliable cars that get good mileage, which Americans seem to prefer 3 to 1 which is why we are in this mess. That's why.

Chinese cars are reliable? Who knew?! Do you own a Cherry or something?

Comment

• Big Train
                    Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

They certainly will be and they will sell to the majority of the world. I would bet that China can do things for Hummer (mileage, price, quality) that GM could not.

Comment

• GAR
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2004

I'm proud to say I've never worked
                      Last edited by LoungeMachine; 06-05-2009, 05:51 PM. Reason: because Gaydar is a fucking tool, and this will piss him off

Comment

• letsrock
                        Veteran
                        • Mar 2007

to bad ford motor didnt get the government help. Now they still have the asian companies with thier unfair advantage, and now GM and Chrysler have it as well.

Well the USA is good at flipping burgers.

Comment

• twonabomber
                          formerly F A T
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Ford didn't want help, and they had already secured financing before the banks went to shit.
                          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• letsrock
                            Veteran
                            • Mar 2007

True, but the auto workers talk about the Jap government offsetting costs to the auto industry giving thier brands an unfair advantage. Looks like Chrysler and GM are in that crowd now.

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by GAR

I'm proud to say I've never worked for a scummy labor union.
                              Which is how you end up working for assholes who give your job to an "illegal alien" when they realize what a worthless lazy bitchy fuck you are.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...