• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Train
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

The Next Detroit

The Next Detroit - Forbes.com

Excellent article in the current Forbes issue on the new American car makers. It's time to start looking at different ways to build cars in America (or in Fiskers case, around the world). A nationwide Carbon Motors, Fisker Auto and Tesla for example could replace what is now the Big Three. New business models, clean balance sheets, ready for expansion and retraining of UAW workers (again except Fisker with a worldwide, outsourced model). It's time to let the big three be and move on to fresher companies and ideas.
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

The problem with the 'outsourced model' is that one day petroleum will be so expensive that it will cost more to do energy intensive shipping than it will to pay union workers even...

One energy analyst sort of mentioned the "bright side" of peak oil, that it will largely localize economies again...

Comment

• Big Train
      Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

I agree, but I think that is a ploy. In the article, Fisker says "if they were to get federal funds, which they are seeking, they would build the next car in America, as required". To get this first car done though, it makes total sense to outsource it.

Comment

• GAR
        Banned
        • Jan 2004

The Big 3 have made the NHTSA and auto safety in general such a red-tape issue, the only cars sold in the US are the ones willing to walk the coals and wait years for approval and it's the fault of Big 3 for painting the industry into a corner against developing new cars people want.

When I see the word Detroit I think of the word Ghosttown.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

We probably will import Chinese made cars and put American name brands on them. It's easier to import than to do shit in the USA anymore.

Plus. Car companies are trivial. I'm wondering if our country is going to survive or is it going to melt down into a piss and vinegar revolution and come apart?
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...