X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaymack
    Full On Cocktard
    • Jun 2009

I met David Lee Roth

Last month I got a call from my friend saying that David Lee Roth was at a restaurant/hotel in my town, so naturally i was in disbelief and told him that it was probably just someone whor resembled him. He works at this restaurant, and he then told me that the owner had called him and told him that David Lee Roth payed for his lodging and meal with a debit card that said his name on it. He then printed off a current picture of him and went down to make sure it was him, meanwhile i was on my way to the same place.

We both brought our guitars and a sharpie and waited for him to finish eating before we asked him for his autograph. We then walked over to the where he was and politely asked him for his autograph and he said "Well why do you want my autograph? Who do you think I am?. Then I said "Aren't you David Lee Roth". He then just chuckled and said "Your right, but you'd be suprised how many people get that wrong." He then started siging our stuff. Now that was more than enough for me, and i was just happy to get his signature, but he actually took the time to sit and talk with us. We were both sort of star struck though so we could barely keep a conversation going. He asked my friend what kind of music he played and all he could muster was uhhh, and then David said i bet you pass all your tests in school dont you? Its alright though cause that syllable got me through the 80's.

Then when it came my turn to get my guitar signed he asked me what i like to play and i said blues then he actually started playing a 12 bar blues for me, and after that he did some fingerpicking. After that he asked us what song we wanted to hear him play and i told him it didnt matter because this was more than we expected him to do. He then played ice cream man for us, and it was amazing.

He ended up staying in my town for about 3 days because we have a place that teaches you gun tactics and he was here for the sniper training portion. My town has a population of about 6,000 people so this was a pretty big deal, almost the whole damn town knew about it the second day he was here. I still can't believe it happened because ill never get a chance like that to actually sit and talk with someone as famous as him again.

And that's about my whole story, sorry for the wall of text lol... I just wanted to write down everything i remembered so i dont forget it... I know my guitar is priceless right now, but how much would you guys say it's worth? I'm not planning on selling it because it's a great story piece now, but im just curious. I still can't get over how cool and funny he was, I heard most rock stars were snobby.
    Last edited by jaymack; 06-05-2009, 10:50 PM.
  • rustoffa
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

What kind of guitar was it?

Comment

• jaymack
      Full On Cocktard
      • Jun 2009

It might sound kind of stupid but I took my acoustic down there. It's a guitar made by Washburn. I only payed about 350 for it. I was going to take my electric, but it's a wine red les paul so teh autograph wouldnt have shown up very well and it probably would have rubbed off.

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by jaymack
        I still can't believe it happened because ill never get a chance like that to actually sit and talk with someone as famous as him again.
        Did you or Dave even mention Van Halen ??

Comment

• jaymack
          Full On Cocktard
          • Jun 2009

I didn't really think to ask him about a Van Halen Reunion because i know they went on tour with Sammy Hagar last year. I didn't think he was on speaking terms with Eddie so i wouldnt have wanted to make him mad. I dunno if he is though, because while he was playing a song he got to the solo and he kidna butchered it and he went here's the solo, cant do the solo, gotta work on teh solo. It was pretty funny, then one of his friends said, maybe you should leave the soloing up to Eddie. So maybe they are working things out, im not quite sure. He was just having a normal conversation with us.

Comment

• kwame k
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Feb 2008

Dude, Roth went on tour with Van Halen last year, their biggest tour ever and Van Halen hasn't toured with Hagar since the 2004 train wreak.
            Originally posted by vandeleur
            E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• rustoffa
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jaymack
              It might sound kind of stupid but I took my acoustic down there. It's a guitar made by Washburn. I only payed about 350 for it.
              Put it on Ebay with the same elaborate story and start the bidding @ 375. Throw in a "Buy It Now" option @ 415.

Comment

• Angel
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

I smell bullshit...

...and I'm totally stuffed up form N1H1
                "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• kwame k
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Angel
                  I smell bullshit...
                  Yup, me too. How's the new play going?
                  E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Angel
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

It runs next week, and I've been sick with N1H1 since last Sunday. As long as I can breathe, and the rest of the cast isn't infected, we'll be okay!

Thanks for asking!
                    "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• kwame k
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Feb 2008

It runs next week, and I've been sick with N1H1 since last Sunday. As long as I can breathe, and the rest of the cast isn't infected, we'll be okay!

Thanks for asking!
                      Jesus, sorry to hear that!

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

I've been sick with N1H1 since last Sunday.
                        What vaccines have you had in the last few years, if any ??

Comment

• Angel
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

None. Haven't had a flu shot for the last 3 years.

They have tons of unconfirmed cases in this city. So many that if you have a flu right now, assume it's n1h1, not seasonal...

It's a nasty bug, yes, but no different from other flus I've had.

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

That sucks, sorry to hear it...

Thanks for not taking my asking you about vaccines to be a smartass...

I Hope you get over it quickly!

Comment

• jaymack
                              Full On Cocktard
                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by rustoffa
                              Put it on Ebay with the same elaborate story and start the bidding @ 375. Throw in a "Buy It Now" option @ 415.
                              I don't really want to sell it though, I love the way the guitar sounds and it's kinda sentimental now.

And for anyone who doesnt believe me i'll upload a picture of the autograph, i'll upload the video of him playing my guitar once i get them off my friend. They're only 15 seconds long though because he didnt have a memory card in his phone.

Comment

Working...