PDA

View Full Version : AC/DC & Anvil in MA & NJ

Mr Walker
06-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Based on the overwhelming response to and incredible buzz created by the critically acclaimed documentary "Anvil! The Story of Anvil", Canadian heavy metal legedns ANVIL have been chosen to fill the spot as opening act for Anglo-Australian hard rockers AC/DC at their Gillette Stadium show in Foxborough, Massachusetts on July 28 and their Giants Stadium show in East Rutherford, New Jersey on July 31. ANVIL bandmembers Steve "Lips" Kudlow and Robb Reiner will see their dreams come true as they are set to open for one of the greatest hard rock bands in the world, AC/DC, for the two biggest shows on their "Black Ice World Tour". This opportunity marks a stellar comeback for the 30 year-old band that continues to reach new heights with the success and continued expansion of their documentary and recent features in Newsweek and Rolling Stone.

Mr Walker
06-09-2009, 01:43 PM
I was on the fence about going to the Giants Stadium show, but now it seems like it might be a lot of fun with Anvil on the bill.

Igosplut
06-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Too bad it wasn't a wigger thing, WARF lives right by Gillette, he could bop right in.

Diamondjimi
06-09-2009, 04:46 PM
This is great for Anvil. They deserve it for sticking it out and cranking out kick ass metal all these years.

Va Beach VH Fan
06-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Great news for Anvil...

Mr. Vengeance
06-09-2009, 05:30 PM
I wonder if they'll crank out Butter Bust Jerky for these shows?

kwame k
06-09-2009, 09:39 PM
This is great for Anvil. They deserve it for sticking it out and cranking out kick ass metal all these years.

Exactly!!!!

SWEETWILLIAM
06-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Anvil, those old fucks are still around ????

Diamondjimi
06-10-2009, 01:34 AM
They never went away...

Mr Walker
07-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Bought my tickets this morning! or as Brian Johnson would say 'me tickets'.

Strung
07-30-2009, 09:29 AM
I was on the fence about going to the Giants Stadium show, but now it seems like it might be a lot of fun with Anvil on the bill.

L M M F A O!

I saw AC/DC here Walker. It was a great show. You should go for sure now that ANVIL is on the bill. You cunt miss that.

Mr Walker
07-30-2009, 10:05 AM
L M M F A O!

I saw AC/DC here Walker. It was a great show. You should go for sure now that ANVIL is on the bill. You cunt miss that.

Yeah, I'm going... I just hope the weather cooperates.
The forecast is for scattered thunder and lightning storms... I could give a shit, but I'll be pissed if they cancel or shorten the show.

atomicpunk5151
07-30-2009, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I'm going... I just hope the weather cooperates.
The forecast is for scattered thunder and lightning storms... I could give a shit, but I'll be pissed if they cancel or shorten the show.

I read some reviews from the Gillete Stadium show in New England. Most reviews were pretty positive. The only draw back was they kept the same set list as all the other previous 2009 shows. Lots of bitching, felt like all the VH boards in 07-08...lol!

Mr Walker
08-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Holy fuck!
I know they may be past their prime, but this show blew me the fuck away.
I had my doubts about AC/DC doing a stadium show here in NY/NJ but no shit... the place was at least 80% full... probably better... and that was in the face of a forecast for heavy rain, wind and dangerous lightning. BTW, the rain stopped right before 'The Answer' took the stage and never started again.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Good to hear.... How was Anvil, by the way ???

Mr Walker
08-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Good to hear.... How was Anvil, by the way ???

Musically and visually they were great, but the songs and lyrics really are Spinal Tap'ish. They started with an extended version of 'Mothra' one of the guys sitting near me was like 'What the fuck is this? A song about a monster?'. A few Tufnel moments were the times when Lips would start yelling phrases into the pickup of his guitar and then playing a guitar solo with a vibrator (i think?) as a slide. I guess since I was the only person wearing an 'Anvil' shirt, I had to answer for them. Still, they got a pretty warm reception from a really huge crowd. Hopefully when they release the DVD a lot of these people will remember the show and check it out, then maybe they will get it.

Mr Walker
08-03-2009, 09:10 AM
AC/DC Shakes Giants Stadium All Night Long
August 2, 2:47 PM

A foreboding forecast, state-wide traffic jams, and even local flooding did nothing to stop Australian rock gods AC/DC from packing the massive Giants Stadium on Friday night, and proving to much of Northern New Jersey that they really are the world’s loudest rock n’ roll band.

When AC/DC last rolled through town last November, they played three sold out shows at Madison Square Garden and the Izod Center, and proved that despite the band’s advancing age, they could still rock just as loud and fast as ever. With an enthusiastic response around the country, an encore performance on the second leg of their Black Ice tour was inevitable, and at what better venue than the 80,000 seat Giants Stadium?

Interestingly enough, initial sales were reportedly very low, with the $89.95 ticket price (plus fees if bought through Ticketmaster) likely being a major factor in these tight economic times. However, faced with a half-sold show, last week ticket prices for the upper mezzanine section were reduced to a bargain-basement price of $29.95, and $99 four-packs were offered as well, and by show time there was an impressive force of AC/DC fans filling the massive stands and floor of Giants Stadium.

With dark black rainclouds unleashing violent torrents of rain over the tri-state area Friday afternoon, the night’s open-air show seemed to be in jeopardy, but by 8pm the skies were clear. A fiery orange sunset filled the skies around the Meadowlands for opening act Anvil, who played a loud, if stagnant, set. The subjects of a recently highly acclaimed documentary, Anvil: The Story of Anvil, the band seemed to be almost a parody of themselves, with uninspiring, and often inaudible lyrics and music. If AC/DC is a rock band that has managed to play on well into their 50’s, Anvil is a band that probably should’ve stopped in their 20’s. Nonetheless, in the world of rock n’ roll, respect must be paid to those who came first, and so Anvil was properly and enthusiastically applauded at the end of their set.

It was almost 10pm when the lights dimmed, and AC/DC’s opening video appeared on 4 massive video screens. The comically crude animated video culminated in a ‘rock n’ roll train’ crashing onto the actual stage, and against the backdrop of the smoking locomotive, AC/DC took the stage.

For fans who had seen AC/DC’s previous shows in 2008, the setlist was nothing new, as the band plowed through new songs such as Rock N’ Roll Train and Big Jack, and their massive radio hits such as Back In Black and Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap with all the subtlety of a chainsaw through a brick wall . But even if it was someone’s second or even third or fourth showing, the raw power of Angus Young’s overdriven guitar and Brian Johnson’s high pitched vocals had the entire stadium singing along to the rock classics.

Crowd participation peaked during the group’s bluesy ode to VD, The Jack, as cameras panned across the cheering audience. Fans both young and old screamed along during mega-hits Hells Bells, T.N.T, and You Shook Me All Night Long. Leaving no hit untouched, after an almost 10 minute, extended solo on Let There Be Rock, which saw the 54 year old Angus Young running all over the stage as he wildly shredded almost out of control, the band returned for a midnight encore with their two biggest hits, Highway To Hell and For Those About To Rock.

With the cannon blasts which punctuated For Those About To Rock still ringing out, the night was closed by a short, but intense fireworks display shot straight out of the stage, leaving the emptying stadium full of thick white smoke and thousands of empty beer cups.

As the art of the rock concert continues to evolve along with video technology and increasingly complex music venues, AC/DC stands as a poster child for the ultimate rock show. While wholeheartedly embracing HD video screens and complex pyrotechnics, the group never let the special effects get in the way of delivering their 90 minute long heavy metal assault (* Uh, if they started before 10 and played encores at midnight, that's pretty much a two hour plus set... do the math - Mr Walker). With top of the line stage production buffering their incomparable setlist, AC/DC’s concerts should serve as the golden standard for every other rock band aspiring to scream “Thank you New York!"

Mr Walker
08-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Funny story from the show... we were sitting two rows behind Tony Siragusa (Super Bowl winning DT and FOX NFL Analyst) and about 10-12 people in his 'posse' (I could swear one of them may have been Bob Papa from NFL Network/Sirius NFL Radio). The Goose was cool to those who recognized him... chatting, laughing and taking pictures. Anyway, about 5 minutes after they took their seats, the guy sitting next to The Goose (maybe an uncle? he kinda looked like Don Vito from Viva la Bam) has his seat break and collapse. Instead of jumping to his aid, the entourage all start laughing and yelling shit at him... just as you would expect from a group of Jersey guys out for the evening... "Have another sausage sandwich, you fat fuck ya!" "Maybe you shouldn't have had that third fucking hot dog you sonofabitch!"... laughing the whole time.

OldNo.7
08-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Yup> iwas thinking they have been on the road awhile. Glad it was a good show. I enjoyed the hell out of the one I saw.