Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Iran Election

Mousavi's aides fear dirty tricks could swing result

By Abigail Fielding-Smith in Tehran

Friday, 12 June 2009

Iranians cast their votes today amid widespread fears that the result could be rigged, as opponents of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad believe happened four years ago.

Mir Hossein Mousavi

Mr Ahmadinejad came from behind in 2005 to win 62 per cent of the vote in a second round, a victory popularly attributed to his support in the Basiji, a quasi-military volunteer group involved in administering elections.

"If there is no cheating, I am sure of [Mr Mousavi's victory in] the first round," said Saeed Laylaz, an analyst associated with the Mousavi campaign. Borrowing a football analogy, he said: "We started the campaign 3-0 down, now we are 4-3 up, so long as there is not a goal by the referee."

Mr Mousavi's supporters say it would only take a small amount of ballot-box tampering at each of Iran's 45,000 polling stations to swing the result. "Two million votes could change the elections," said Mohammed Atrianfar, a member of Mr Mousavi's campaign team.

Text messages have been circulating warning voters of potential traps at the polling stations: don't wear green, (the colour of the Mousavi campaign) and vote at schools, not mosques. In an indication of the paranoia among Mousavi supporters, some saw this advice as a trap in itself. Others told voters to bring their own pens because those at the polling stations could be filled with invisible ink.

There is no reliable polling data so it is unclear if Mr Ahmadinejad would need to interfere with votes to win. Mr Mousavi's camp is confident of a simple majority victory in the event of a 75 per cent turnout, obviating the need for a second round, but Mr Ahmadinejad has a strong populist appeal.

A victory for either side could create problems. "Iran has become more militarised recently and I am worried that if Mousavi's supporters feel he has lost because of cheating there will be clashes," Mr Laylaz said.

Sara, a Mousavi supporter, said: "I'm frightened about what will happen if Ahmadinejad loses. He is not a good loser."

• GAR
    Banned
    • Jan 2004

It's not Ahmadinejad they have to fear, it's chaos of an uncontrollable population who know too much off the internet and ignoring their own local staterun press.

On the news, the opposition party is out in full green running the streets!

It looks pretty obvious the Iranians are done with the idiots in charge. They'll go chaos on 'em if the election results are crooked.

Iranians need to overthrow and go back to calling their country what they call themselves: Persia.

I have flatulated the Power Cosmic~!!
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 06-14-2009, 03:26 AM.

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

What ??

Comment

• Jesus Christ
        Veteran
        • Jan 2004

The lips of the righteous feed many: but fools die for want of wisdom.

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

What's wrong with that ??

Americans used to have that kind of courage...

Comment

• Jesus Christ
            Veteran
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS

Verily.... Americans were once willing to cast the moneychangers out of the Temple. But ye hath been deceived by the Whore of Babylon media.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

By Abigail Fielding-Smith in Tehran

Mr Ahmadinejad came from behind in 2005 to win 62 per cent of the vote in a second round...

Largely because of the bellicose rhetoric coming from the Bush Administration...

Comment

• letsrock
                Veteran
                • Mar 2007

The guy holding the AK-47 next to the ballot box will have the biggest influence.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

Pre-Patriot Act you mean?

Originally posted by Kristy
                  Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                  Originally posted by cadaverdog
                  I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Yes, but going much further back...

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jul 2004

My point being so much public opinion and mood is influenced by the media, and BushCO made sure to silence them with the anthrax attack, the patriot act, other methods....

Let's not foget who were the targets of the anthrax, both in the media, and congress...
                      Originally posted by Kristy
                      Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                      Originally posted by cadaverdog
                      I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Great...... both sides claiming victory, although AP press on the ground can't find anyone who will admit to voting for Ahmadinnerjacket.

Fucking Mossad probably jacked the election so they could get the war that NuttyYahoo wants with every fiber of his black Satanic soul.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

"TEHRAN, Iran — Iran's state news agency is reporting that President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has won re-election, but a reformist rival is also claiming victory. The rival claims came even before the close of polls on Friday. Official results are not expected until Saturday."

*sigh* Politics as usual. My best estimate is that it will be Ahmahole-in-the-head-jad.

Comment

• letsrock
                            Veteran
                            • Mar 2007

Like the results are correct?

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Who knows? It could be a case of a "close election" (real or "assisted") in which case Iranian law requires a runoff which would be in two weeks. I don't remember how close it has to be for that to happen though.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...