PDA

View Full Version : My New Band

VH Drummer
06-17-2009, 12:44 AM
We settled on this name, The Roundhouse Kicks the other night. I like, reminds me of DLR, has a cool late 60's vibe to it and isn't a stupid sentence fragment like all other bands seem to be nowadays.

The recordings on there are mostly from this band with the exception of the final three which are from my old band (but I still like them). The only "studio" cut is the first one and it's a rough demo more than anything. We're looking for a singer still and wow, it's tough to find someone around here.

So it's me on drums, an old poster on DDLR.com (rhoadsfan5150) on guitar and a youngin' on bass; at 17, the kid is DAMN good.

THE ROUNDHOUSE KICKS on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads (http://www.myspace.com/roudhousekicksband)

GAR
06-17-2009, 02:22 AM
You had this internet-band thing going for 2 years before you tell us about it?

letsrock
06-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Drummer,

Good to hear you got it going again. So are you auditioning some singers? Is it not going good? When are you hoping to hit the scene and be playing out again?

John

VH Drummer
06-17-2009, 07:23 PM
You had this internet-band thing going for 2 years before you tell us about it?

Well, him and I first jammed about two years ago but nothing really came of it. The other band I was in dissolved last August and I started this one up in January 2009. It is only now that we're beginning to make a push to get shit going because we've got enough songs. A friend of mine is back in town from school for the summer who sings so hopefully he'll work out, at least temporarily.

VH Drummer
06-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Drummer,

Good to hear you got it going again. So are you auditioning some singers? Is it not going good? When are you hoping to hit the scene and be playing out again?

John

I have posting ads on Craigslist and MySpace for months. We've got a lot of interested people. They wanted to audition and we'd set up a date and time; and I'd never get confirmation that they were coming and no one ever did.

We had one guy who was interested--his voice was not that great nor was he all that "good looking" (let's face, you have to have a good looking or extremely ugly/talented frontman) but he had the passion and rock and roll attitude. He was very interested but kept on having scheduling issues.

Once we get a singer, I'd say we'd be out playing immediately. I want to cut either an EP or CD very soon, sell it for dirt cheap and in some instances, give it away. I also want to hang out at the parking lots before big name rock acts in the areas arenas and amphitheaters and sell/give away CDs and get people to go to our shows. It's hard to find an audience if you're a rock band on MySpace because that whole scene is for tight pants, straight hair and eyeliner. So we figure finding our audience person-to-person is the best option.

Just need that frontman to get this going...

GAR
06-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Look into a chick singer.

Look into a younger guy, maybe less experienced who's daddy is a Jew eye surgeon that you work to death until he either quits, or gets a work ethic going and gets better!

Or maybe look into anyone that will show up to get you that first show you can get a video demo goin on with, to find the next-level singer. You gotta make a move with someone quickly because you're in the Michigan with nothing going on and the only thing to keep aband like this together for any length of time is to do shows.

At least you get the shows going, even if the singer sucks.

VH Drummer
06-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Yeah, you're right, something is better than nothing; at least by getting out there, we might expose ourselves to a potential singer in our audience.

And yes, there is absolutely nothing going on around here in terms of rock music...in Detroit. It's all metal or pop/punk, emo bullshit.

atomicpunk5151
06-18-2009, 01:27 AM
We settled on this name, The Roundhouse Kicks the other night. I like, reminds me of DLR, has a cool late 60's vibe to it and isn't a stupid sentence fragment like all other bands seem to be nowadays.

The recordings on there are mostly from this band with the exception of the final three which are from my old band (but I still like them). The only "studio" cut is the first one and it's a rough demo more than anything. We're looking for a singer still and wow, it's tough to find someone around here.

So it's me on drums, an old poster on DDLR.com (rhoadsfan5150) on guitar and a youngin' on bass; at 17, the kid is DAMN good.

THE ROUNDHOUSE KICKS on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads (http://www.myspace.com/roudhousekicksband)

Zack that is good to hear that you are still at it. I think we all (@DDLR) gave you some postive comments about your last jam sessions.

Also good to hear that you kept in contact with RF5150. We used to trade quite a bit as well. He was pretty good on the guitar. ALSO ask him if he is to good to now start posting over at Rotharmy or something....lol! Where has he been?

Panamark
06-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Hey VH Drummer,

Are you in charge of the mixing desk by any chance :biggrin: ??
Was just listening to Romeo Delight...

Seshmeister
06-18-2009, 08:21 AM

It's not just all drums then?

I need some better speakers... :)

kwame k
06-18-2009, 10:38 AM
V, having suffered through the Detroit music scene for years, it's tough to find quality players. I agree that you guys should just get out there and play. What we used to do is play every open mic night you can, even without a singer. The music scene is totally different in Detroit, in the sense that no one is really from Detroit, you know what I mean. So the musicians you are looking for are spread out all over the metro area. It's a clickish scene and tons of musicians don't look in the music rags. Back in the day the Metro-Times was the one to advertise in but that's probably obsolete now.

The best way to find musicians, IMO, is to go to every bar that has live music and try to steal whatever you are looking for, you may not find the right person that way but you do 2 things. 1) Meet local musicians and 2) you already are auditioning by seeing what they can do live. Weeding out people before you even invite them to jam.

VH Drummer
06-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Hey VH Drummer,

Are you in charge of the mixing desk by any chance :biggrin: ??
Was just listening to Romeo Delight...

I should have made a note about that. The last three songs are live recordings, the first one is a rough demo, then everything else (including "Romeo Delight") was recorded in my basement with a Mini Disc. I think we plan on recording that soon, I know we plan on using that as an opener.

VH Drummer
06-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Zack that is good to hear that you are still at it. I think we all (@DDLR) gave you some postive comments about your last jam sessions.

Also good to hear that you kept in contact with RF5150. We used to trade quite a bit as well. He was pretty good on the guitar. ALSO ask him if he is to good to now start posting over at Rotharmy or something....lol! Where has he been?

He asked me the other week if DDLR.com was back up but I don't think he's got out of all the forums and trading. He lost all of his shows in a hard drive crash and has no interest in starting back up.

VH Drummer
06-18-2009, 11:20 AM
The best way to find musicians, IMO, is to go to every bar that has live music and try to steal whatever you are looking for, you may not find the right person that way but you do 2 things. 1) Meet local musicians and 2) you already are auditioning by seeing what they can do live. Weeding out people before you even invite them to jam.

That's what we plan to do next. Another gripe I have is the cost of local shows: $10-$12?! It's tough to fork over that money for 4-5 bands playing 30 minutes when you only care for one band--especially I can get lawn tickets for a 2-hour headlining act at DTE, Freedom Hill or Meadowbrook.

:mad2: Lots of crooks in the "promoting" business around here.

letsrock
06-18-2009, 11:23 AM
And dont forget to post flyers on the bulletin boards at music stores. Not just instrument stores, but some stores that sell CD's will let you. And dont forget about a flyer at the used CD stores as well.

Make it happen bro.

kwame k
06-18-2009, 11:30 AM
That's what we plan to do next. Another gripe I have is the cost of local shows: $10-$12?! It's tough to fork over that money for 4-5 bands playing 30 minutes when you only care for one band--especially I can get lawn tickets for a 2-hour headlining act at DTE, Freedom Hill or Meadowbrook.

:mad2: Lots of crooks in the "promoting" business around here.

I hear ya, try the local cover bar band scene that don't charge a cover.

I feel for ya.

Igosplut
06-18-2009, 02:23 PM
And don't take advice from GARgle.

All he can do is imagine things....

letsrock
06-18-2009, 02:46 PM
And don't take advice from GARgle.

All he can do is imagine things....

That and google info, or use wikipedia.

rocknrolldork
06-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Great stuff VHD!!!!!!! My wife and I get up to MI to see shows about 4 times a year. Keep me posted about your shows if you can.

VH Drummer
06-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Great stuff VHD!!!!!!! My wife and I get up to MI to see shows about 4 times a year. Keep me posted about your shows if you can.

Thanks. Hopefully, we'll be playing a decent amount between mid July and late August.

Worked on a new one today that sounds really old school AC/DC-ish.

VH Drummer
06-30-2009, 08:07 PM
We've been talking to this guy and he calls himself a big Van Halen fan. I told him to learn vocals on "Romeo Delight" but he said he never heard it (!!!!!) but would give it a listen. Today, I heard back from him:

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there's 2 things I gotta telly you. Don't really like the song, and I don't think I'd be able to sing it for that reason. sorry guys. Play any alice in chains?

You CAN'T be a Van Halen fan and not like "Romeo Delight." That's just...crazy.