X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • letsrock
    Veteran
    • Mar 2007

North Korean Ship is being tracked

U.S. Military Tracking North Korean Ship Suspected of Proliferating Missiles, Nukes - Political News - FOXNews.com

U.S. Military Tracking North Korean Ship Suspected of Proliferating Missiles, Nukes
    A ship named Kang Nam left a port in North Korea Wednesday and could be carrying missile parts or nuclear materials in violation of a U.N. Security Council resolution.

The U.S. military is tracking a flagged North Korean ship suspected of proliferating weapons material in violation of a U.N. Security Council resolution passed last Friday, FOX News has learned.

The ship, Kang Nam, left a port in North Korea Wednesday and appears to be heading toward Singapore, according to a senior U.S. military source. The vessel, which the military has been tracking since its departure, could be carrying weaponry, missile parts or nuclear materials.

"It is believed to be 'of interest,'" a senior U.S. official told FOX News.

This is the first suspected "proliferator" that the U.S. and its allies have tracked from North Korea since the United Nations authorized the world's navies to enforce compliance with a variety of U.N. sanctions aimed at punishing North Korea for its recent nuclear test.

The ship is currently along the coast of China and being monitored around-the-clock by air.

The apparent violation raises the question of how the United States and its allies will respond, particularly since the U.N. resolution does not have a lot of teeth to it.

The resolution would not allow the United States to board the ship forcibly. Rather, U.S. military would have to request permission to board -- a request North Korea is unlikely to grant.

North Korea has said that any attempt to board its ships would be viewed as an act of war and promised "100- or 1,000-fold" retaliation if provoked.

If there is cause to pursue the ship, sources told FOX News the U.S. military would instead likely follow the slow-moving vessel until it goes into port to refuel.

At that point, sources said, the U.S. military could request that the host country not provide fuel to the ship.

One U.S. official said that the U.S. military could be waiting for the ship to distance itself from China before confronting it, to avoid agitating the Chinese.

The Kang Nam is known to be a ship that has been involved in proliferation activities in the past -- it is "a repeat offender," according to one military source.

The tension follows a Japanese news report that North Korea may fire a long-range ballistic missile toward Hawaii in early July.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Thursday the military is "watching" that situation "very closely," and would have "some concerns" if North Korea launched a missile in the direction of Hawaii. But he expressed confidence in U.S. ability to handle such a launch.

Gates said he's directed the deployment of the Theater High Altitude Area Defense, a mobile missile defense system used for knocking down long- and medium-range missiles.

"The ground-based interceptors are clearly in a position to take action. So, without telegraphing what we will do, I would just say ... I think we are in a good position, should it become necessary, to protect the American territory."

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs stayed mum on the latest developments at Thursday's press briefing, commenting generally on the nature of the U.N. resolution.

"There are some specific actions that have to be taken by countries who are near these ships, whose water these ships are in, ports that they might be destined for that are all part of this process," Gibbs said. "The White House feels comfortable and confident that we have an understanding of what this resolution does."
  • ZahZoo
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

It would be a shame if that ship just mysteriously sank...
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• letsrock
      Veteran
      • Mar 2007

I'm willing to bet that a sub is close by.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

North Korea always goes wacko after a new president comes in. They are testing Obama to see what he does. You can't use logic with North Korea though. It's a crazy ass regime. I have the gut feeling they are going to shoot their full load just to do it. I think their president is sick and dying and doesn't give a fuck, so he's going to start some shit.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• High Life Man
          Commando
          • Jan 2004

I think it's about time to finish the job MacArthur started.
          Last edited by High Life Man; 06-18-2009, 08:59 PM.

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Obama will do nothing...

He's not on our side!

You dumb fucks...

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

The Korean war never ended. I think they are going to act majorly stupid to the point we will have to go in there and mop it up finally. They have nukes now and are totally nutball, iresponsible with them. China is going to let them go on their tirade just so we have to respond and that thins the US military out to the point we won't be a viable force anywhere in the world. China bennefits if we go in and I think we will.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

We are already thinned out...

Soon 59 year old people will be drafted...

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS

Chimpy already did that. I remember reading about several such cases. Of course it was some red tape technicality and not a straight up draft, but Chimpy's handlers knew better than that. An actual draft would have ended that sorry Iraq bullshit before it started, because the right wingers would have been right out there marching with us when their kids got forced into it.

There will be no war with North Korea. The very worst that might happen is a mini-Cuban Missile Crisis sort of thing, and I doubt it even goes that far.

But if it did, thank God Almighty that fucking Kennebunkport imbecile isn't in office anymore.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by High Life Man
                    I think it's about time to finish the job MacArthur started.
                    Dude, please. MacArthur was an incompetent jackoff...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Obama will do nothing...

He's not on our side!

You dumb fucks...

What's "our side" fuckwit nurse? Aren't you the one running around stating that 9/11 was an inside job? What fucking side are YOU on?

Comment

• thome
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Mar 2005

I'm ready, lets go!

I am 11 years younger than that,,, full piss cum and ,,,wait,...mmmm..... that it's is fighting for ...This is my gunpon....wait ..4score and sixteen will get you 20, Oh fukkit point me towards tha'Mf'ers....

Nickdfreshude, please. MacArthur was an incompetent jackoff...

Oh, how soon they forget. sad really...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by thome
                          I'm ready, lets go!

I am 11 years younger than that,,, full piss cum and ,,,wait,...mmmm..... that it's is fighting for ...This is my gunpon....wait ..4score and sixteen will get you 20, Oh fukkit point me towards tha'Mf'ers....

Oh, how soon they forget. sad really...

Why are you waiting for a call or letter? Just enlist already, tough guy....

Comment

• thome
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                            Why are you waiting for a call or letter? Just enlist already, tough guy....

Dude, I am allways ready, cocked ,locked and loaded for Bear.

I played COD all day yesterday and I can fukk up some Nazi ScheissKoff.

I just can't wait to get over the next obstacle and get my medi pakk .

P.S. Because you need to know: I am not tough at all. I am mean and am posessed with a intemperate disposition. To a detrement at times.

We Americans who care, are in posession of the interior of this country due to the 2nd amendment.

As far as I am concerned the military on active duty controls the borders in time of war and if needed we control thier backs..nuff said.

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by thome
                              Dude, I am allways ready, cocked ,locked and loaded for Bear.

I played COD all day yesterday and I can fukk up some Nazi ScheissKoff.

I just can't wait to get over the next obstacle and get my medi pakk .

P.S. Because you need to know: I am not tough at all. I am mean and am posessed with a intemperate disposition. To a detrement at times.

We Americans who care, are in posession of the interior of this country due to the 2nd amendment.

As far as I am concerned the military on active duty controls the borders in time of war and if needed we control thier backs..nuff said.
                              Just join you fuckin pussy! I did it for 9 god damn years! Besides you don't want to be fighting next to some beer belly paranoid militia types with inferior weapons now do you? DO YOU?!?!?!?

Comment

Working...