X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Hollywood actor Karl Malden dies

US actor Karl Malden, best known for his roles in films such as A Streetcar Named Desire and On the Waterfront, has died at the age of 97.

He was also famous for playing Lt Mike Stone in the long-running TV series, The Streets of San Francisco.

Malden won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in 1951, for his performance in A Streetcar Named Desire, and was nominated again in 1954.

Malden, who died at home, had been in poor health for several years.

His family said he had died of natural causes.

Early on in his career, Malden said he realised that his average looks and distinctive nose - twice broken on the sports field - were unlikely to make him a leading man.

Many of his more memorable performances came in supporting roles.

Homicide detective

His film career flourished in the 1950s and '60s, with parts in movies such as Birdman of Alcatraz, How the West Was Won, Gypsy, The Cincinnati Kid and Patton.

He avoided moving into television for many years, but succumbed to the role of the gruff homicide detective Mike Stone in The Streets of San Francisco, which ran from 1972 to 1977.

His young on-screen police partner, Insp Steve Keller, was played by Michael Douglas.

Malden was nominated four consecutive times for an Emmy for The Streets of San Francisco. He finally won one in 1984, for the mini-series "Fatal Vision".

He was married to actress Mona Graham for more than 70 years, one of the longest partnerships in Hollywood history.

---------------------------

I suppose 97 is an ok innings.

You want to die at an age when they don't even mention what you died of or call it natural.
  • BITEYOASS
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

Now who is gonna tell me to not leave home without my American Express card?

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by BITEYOASS
      Now who is gonna tell me to not leave home without my American Express card?
      Jerry?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VLuPTg8HcMY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VLuPTg8HcMY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

One of my childhood heros...loved Street of SF! RIP, Mike Stone!
        Roth Army Icon
        First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Well, at least he was 97. All these 50 year olds dropping dead lately, I was starting to get nervous that the average life expectancy suddenly jumped off a cliff.

Streets of SF was a great show for the time though. Launched the career of Michael Douglas, in fact.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• GAR
            Banned
            • Jan 2004

Those Ninja Assasins got Detective Stone now?!?!

Comment

• ForeverDLR/VH
              Roadie
              • Feb 2009

WOW, What a shitty time in Hollywood, 5 deaths in the last 2 weeks!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

At least we got rid of the miming pedo.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by FORD
                  Well, at least he was 97. All these 50 year olds dropping dead lately, I was starting to get nervous that the average life expectancy suddenly jumped off a cliff.
                  Watching Columbo with IMDB open is terrifying - all the actors are dead...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I had no idea he was 97...

He was a great actor though...

Comment

Working...