PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood actor Karl Malden dies

Seshmeister
07-01-2009, 11:34 PM
US actor Karl Malden, best known for his roles in films such as A Streetcar Named Desire and On the Waterfront, has died at the age of 97.

http://www.filmdope.com/Gallery/ActorsM/10939-3439.gif

He was also famous for playing Lt Mike Stone in the long-running TV series, The Streets of San Francisco.

Malden won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in 1951, for his performance in A Streetcar Named Desire, and was nominated again in 1954.

Malden, who died at home, had been in poor health for several years.

His family said he had died of natural causes.

Early on in his career, Malden said he realised that his average looks and distinctive nose - twice broken on the sports field - were unlikely to make him a leading man.

Many of his more memorable performances came in supporting roles.

Homicide detective

His film career flourished in the 1950s and '60s, with parts in movies such as Birdman of Alcatraz, How the West Was Won, Gypsy, The Cincinnati Kid and Patton.

He avoided moving into television for many years, but succumbed to the role of the gruff homicide detective Mike Stone in The Streets of San Francisco, which ran from 1972 to 1977.

His young on-screen police partner, Insp Steve Keller, was played by Michael Douglas.

Malden was nominated four consecutive times for an Emmy for The Streets of San Francisco. He finally won one in 1984, for the mini-series "Fatal Vision".

He was married to actress Mona Graham for more than 70 years, one of the longest partnerships in Hollywood history.

---------------------------

I suppose 97 is an ok innings.

You want to die at an age when they don't even mention what you died of or call it natural. :)

BITEYOASS
07-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Now who is gonna tell me to not leave home without my American Express card? :(

FORD
07-02-2009, 01:45 AM
Now who is gonna tell me to not leave home without my American Express card? :(

Jerry?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VLuPTg8HcMY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VLuPTg8HcMY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DavidLeeNatra
07-02-2009, 03:25 AM
One of my childhood heros...loved Street of SF! RIP, Mike Stone!

FORD
07-02-2009, 03:59 AM
Well, at least he was 97. All these 50 year olds dropping dead lately, I was starting to get nervous that the average life expectancy suddenly jumped off a cliff.

Streets of SF was a great show for the time though. Launched the career of Michael Douglas, in fact.

GAR
07-02-2009, 05:07 AM
Those Ninja Assasins got Detective Stone now?!?!

ForeverDLR/VH
07-02-2009, 06:21 AM
WOW, What a shitty time in Hollywood, 5 deaths in the last 2 weeks!

Seshmeister
07-02-2009, 06:48 AM
At least we got rid of the miming pedo.

Seshmeister
07-02-2009, 06:55 AM
Well, at least he was 97. All these 50 year olds dropping dead lately, I was starting to get nervous that the average life expectancy suddenly jumped off a cliff.

Watching Columbo with IMDB open is terrifying - all the actors are dead...

Nickdfresh
07-02-2009, 08:07 AM
I had no idea he was 97...

He was a great actor though...