X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Guitar Shark
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Palin Stepping Down as Governor

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Gov. Sarah Palin announced Friday that she will step down as Alaska's chief executive by the end of the month. She will not seek election to a second gubernatorial term in 2010.

"People who know me know that besides faith and family, nothing's more important to me than our beloved Alaska," Palin said at an announcement from her home in Wasilla. "Serving her people is the greatest honor I could imagine."

Palin, a Republican, was elected governor in 2006. She was tapped as Arizona Sen. John McCain's vice presidential running mate last year.

Palin said she was transferring authority to Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell, who will be sworn in at the Governor's Picnic on July 26. Watch Palin's announcement »

Palin added in a statement that she was "determined to take the right path for Alaska even though it is not the easiest path. ... Once I decided not to run for re-election, I also felt that to embrace the conventional lame duck status in this particular climate would just be another dose of politics as usual, something I campaigned against and will always oppose."

A Republican source close to her political team told CNN's John King that it was a "calculation" she made that "it was time to move on." The governor's "book deal and other issues" were "causing a lot of friction" in her home state, the source said, adding that he believes she is "mapping out a path to 2012."

Another source, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said Palin "thinks she has accomplished goals she has set forward. ... She sees what a positive influence she has had on people's lives from traveling the country in the last year."

Following Palin's announcement, the Democratic National Committee blasted what it called her "bizarre behavior."

"Either Sarah Palin is leaving the people of Alaska high and dry to pursue her long shot national political ambitions or she simply can't handle the job now that her popularity has dimmed and oil revenues are down," DNC spokesman Brad Woodhouse said.

"Either way, her decision to abandon her post and the people of Alaska who elected her continues a pattern of bizarre behavior that more than anything else may explain the decision she made today."

Republican strategist and CNN contributor Ed Rollins said, to a certain extent, Palin's announcement makes her look "terribly inept."

"I think everyone is shocked by this, and I think to a certain extent everyone is going to assume there's another story. You don't just quit with a year and a half to go. You certainly don't do this as a stepping stone to run for president. You finish the job that you're in, and obviously she's not doing that," he said.

"I think people are going to be very suspicious because of the timing. You don't quit on the Friday of a three-day holiday. If you are going to do this, you think it through, you give a good speech," Rollins said.

As the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee, Palin had been considered one of the front-runners for the GOP nomination in 2012.

In an interview last month with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, Palin said she was unsure about her re-election bid because she needed to focus on her state and her family.

"So, no decision yet on either 2010 or let alone 2012?" Blitzer asked.

"No decision that I'd want to announce today," Palin responded.

Palin catapulted on the national stage last August when McCain, the Republican presidential nominee, chose her as his running mate.

Palin stepping down this month - CNN.com
    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

Definitely a surprise to me. Going to be interesting to see why she did this.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Maybe Argentina ain't the only place Mark Sanford's been spending his vacations?

Hiking the Alaskan t(r)ail, maybe?
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ULTRAMAN VH
        Commando
        • May 2004

Originally posted by FORD
        Maybe Argentina ain't the only place Mark Sanford's been spending his vacations?

Hiking the Alaskan t(r)ail, maybe?
        I knew it would not take long for a Libby to make a derogatory statement. Dude if Palin grabbed you by the crank you would be knockin the bottom out of her, unless the rumors are true and you really are a homo. On a serious note, I think she is planning a run to dethrone King Obama. She scares the shit out of the left. They can't degrade her executive experience, which Obama has none, so they go after her with personal attacks. It will be interesting.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
          She scares the shit out of the left.
          Honestly, I think she scares the right more than the left. She is a distraction and is hurting the republican party.
          ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
          Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I knew it would not take long for a Libby to make a derogatory statement. Dude if Palin grabbed you by the crank you would be knockin the bottom out of her, unless the rumors are true and you really are a homo.
            Nah, stupidity's a total turn-off for me.

Now on the other hand, Tina Fey dressed up like Moosealini, I'd definitely hit that!
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ULTRAMAN VH
              Commando
              • May 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
              Honestly, I think she scares the right more than the left. She is a distraction and is hurting the republican party.
              I agree to a point, but it may come down to personal opinion as to whether she is a distraction or hurtful. Some say she is energizing the party.

Comment

• kwame k
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Feb 2008

I knew it would not take long for a Libby to make a derogatory statement. Dude if Palin grabbed you by the crank you would be knockin the bottom out of her, unless the rumors are true and you really are a homo. On a serious note, I think she is planning a run to dethrone King Obama. She scares the shit out of the left. They can't degrade her executive experience, which Obama has none, so they go after her with personal attacks. It will be interesting.
                The experience debate will be out the window because Obama has more experience at the Top Executive position than she does.

She's a joke and was a novelty act for McCain's campaign. Quiting the way she did will only come back and bite her in the ass. All the bullshit she did in Alaska....Troppergate and what not will come back and bite her in the ass.

She'll never make it through the Repukes primary.
                Originally posted by vandeleur
                E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by FORD
                  Nah, stupidity's a total turn-off for me.

Now on the other hand, Tina Fey dressed up like Moosealini, I'd definitely hit that!
                  That's an odd post...

You didn't say homos turn you off, just stupidity...

BTW, Palin is WAY hotter that Tina Fey...

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Looks like Moosealini's been a very naughty girl, and not in the Larry Craig sense.

Embezzlement, investigations by the IRS (tax fraud?)

Looks like another potential Repuke candidate for 2012 hit the proverbial iceberg.

The Immoral Minority: ICEBERG!!! Three more ethics charges and an IRS scandal are headed Sarah Palin's way. Collision is unavoidable.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                      That's an odd post...

You didn't say homos turn you off, just stupidity...

BTW, Palin is WAY hotter that Tina Fey...

Unlike you, I'm not always preoccupied with "homos". And since the subject matter was the question of Sarah Palin's fuckability, then homosexuality is only relevant for females, in this case.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Like...what ???

Comment

• Dolemite!
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2009

Sarah Palin has never been attractive to me. She looks creepy... maybe fingerable on occassion where you're bored.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I admit she's sort of attractive. But that whiny, nasal voice coupled with the "Fargo" accent makes me cringe...

Comment

• GAR
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2004

Maybe the ninja assasins that are getting all the celebrities the past month have been after Sarah Palin. We sure don't wanna see her tied up unconscious in the closet with a cord wrapped round her coch.

Comment

Working...