PDA

View Full Version : LeBron: 'Never mind 2010, I'm staying' (UPDATE

letsrock
07-08-2009, 11:02 AM
UPDATES THROUGHOUT with LeBron damage control.

The LeBron 2010 story keeps changing, as does the version that James himself reportedly gave to free agent Trevor Ariza.

After it was reported that James personally recruited Ariza by stating that he'd be in Cleveland beyond 2010, people close to LeBron have circled the wagons to refute it. ESPN.com, which ran the initial LeBron-Ariza story, is now running one with the LeBron camp's denials.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer was first to refute the notion that LeBron told Ariza of his intentions for Cleveland in 2010, "I'll be there. Of course I'll be there." The comments seemed to contradict James' public stance on whether he would decline his player option and become an unrestricted free agent after next season. James has consistently stated that he's happy in Cleveland but hasn't decided what he will do.

Either way, James' recruiting pitch didn't work with Ariza, who opted to verbally commit to the Rockets. It was an odd story to begin with, since James would never recruit free agents by telling them he's planning to leave.

Nonetheless, this is an example of how LeBron's clever non-answers and fence-sitting when it comes to what he'll do next summer have come back to bite him. On one hand, he has every right to leverage his player option as a tool for getting the best deal and keeping the pressure on the Cavs to surround him with the best possible talent to win a championship. On the other, could his wavering have hurt GM Danny Ferry's efforts to recruit another free agent to bolster the pre-draft trade for Shaquille O'Neal?

That's where the LeBron conspiracy theory loses me. What is hampering Ferry is not LeBron's uncertain future, but the simple fact that he has only the mid-level exception to offer. Granted, that's what Ariza ultimately got from the Rockets. It's the same deal Ariza turned down from the Lakers. Ron Artest was hell bent on signing with the Lakers, so it didn't matter what anybody else offered. The point is, players are going to sign where they get the most money -- and if money is a wash, they consider a wide array of factors. None of them should be willing to decide the next five years of his career based on what LeBron may or may not do next July. Especially now, since the story changes every five minutes.

Dwyane Wade felt compelled to go public with his position that if the Miami Heat fail to surround him with championship talent, he'll decline his player option after next season and bolt. That's his prerogative. Is Wade going to privately tell free agents and/or players the Heat might target in sign-and-trades that he was just kidding? Either way, the glamour free agents of 2010 reap what they sow in terms of how they choose to leverage their positions. Where LeBron is concerned, his decision has always been and will continue to be about how close the Cavs are to a championship next June.

LeBron: 'Never mind 2010, I'm staying' (UPDATE) - CBSSports.com (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/15931683)

damngoodtimes
07-08-2009, 01:06 PM
there's no actual story here in any of this. nobody has a single quote from LeBron or anyone else for that matter not named "source".

maybe somebody should ask LeBron to answer this one himself.

oh, that's right, he's not available right now because he is at a media power conference as a guest of, that's right, Cavs owner Dan Gilbert.

so, maybe we should ask Dan Gilbert

letsrock
07-08-2009, 05:52 PM
I still say offer a three year extension, see what happens.

ForeverDLR/VH
07-08-2009, 06:18 PM
If the Calvs. don't win a championship in the next couple of years, LeBron is out of Cleveland. SHAQ only has 2 years max left in him and he isn't the player he was 5 years ago. I can see LeBron going to the Lakers or Boston to win a championship, if he can't do it in Cleveland and you know the Lakers are willing to pay him more money than the Calves. would or willing to put up for him!

letsrock
07-09-2009, 08:49 AM
He is a free agent after the upcoming season. So we wont have to wait 2 years.
I see the Lakers or Celtics winning it all next year.
So then Lebron's true colors will come out.
He will be gone. Same with Shaq. Isnt he just in a one year contract?

damngoodtimes
07-09-2009, 12:21 PM
if he can't do it in Cleveland and you know the Lakers are willing to pay him more money than the Calves. would or willing to put up for him!

that's fundamentally incorrect. NBA rules dictate that the his current team can offer more $ and more years than any other team. These are called the Bird rules, put into place originally to allow Boston to resign Larry Bird. The Bird rules also allow a team to exceed the salary cap to resign their own players.

LeBron and Shaq are both eligible to be free agents after this upcoming season. With the projected shrinking of the salary cap for 2010-11 by as much as $8 million, the odds of any of the big names (Bosh, LBJ, Wade, Amare) changing teams just got smaller.

damngoodtimes
07-09-2009, 12:24 PM
I still say offer a three year extension, see what happens.

they will offer one, three, six years, whatever he will sign. I think I had something wrong in an earlier post, they actually can't offer him an extension until 7/18 (three years exactly since he signed his last extension), not 7/8 when the main FA period opened.

letsrock
07-09-2009, 12:27 PM
If they dont win it all i say he is gone.

thoughts?

ForeverDLR/VH
07-10-2009, 05:43 AM
that's fundamentally incorrect. NBA rules dictate that the his current team can offer more $ and more years than any other team. These are called the Bird rules, put into place originally to allow Boston to resign Larry Bird. The Bird rules also allow a team to exceed the salary cap to resign their own players.

LeBron and Shaq are both eligible to be free agents after this upcoming season. With the projected shrinking of the salary cap for 2010-11 by as much as $8 million, the odds of any of the big names (Bosh, LBJ, Wade, Amare) changing teams just got smaller.

This is assuming LBJ wants to stay in Cleveland!

damngoodtimes
07-10-2009, 05:52 AM
no, those are the rules. whether he wants to stay is a separate issue.

you tried to claim earlier that he could get more money elsewhere, which is just wrong. you also went on to try to say the Cavs wouldn't be "willing" to spend as much. this is also completely out of your ass, as Dan Gilbert has shown every indication that he will spend whatever it takes. he's paying as much in luxury tax as anyone in the league, and has spent more non-salary money (facilities upgrades from the practice facility to the Q)

if you're going to state an opinion, try to have a fuckin' clue about some actual facts

now, as to whether he wants to stay - which is the legitimate question, he has said repeatedly (and there's no reason to doubt him on this) that he will play where he feels he has the best chance at winning multiple championships. Cleveland is really high on that list.

don't forget, also, that he already had one chance to leave, and chose to re-sign with the Cavs.

letsrock
07-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Shaq wont be his Pippen. But hopefully Mo can be even better next year. He really elevated that position for the cavs. I just wish they would figure Gibson out, in all of this. Its a shame he is a bench player.

ForeverDLR/VH
07-10-2009, 03:44 PM
no, those are the rules. whether he wants to stay is a separate issue.

you tried to claim earlier that he could get more money elsewhere, which is just wrong. you also went on to try to say the Cavs wouldn't be "willing" to spend as much. this is also completely out of your ass, as Dan Gilbert has shown every indication that he will spend whatever it takes. he's paying as much in luxury tax as anyone in the league, and has spent more non-salary money (facilities upgrades from the practice facility to the Q)

if you're going to state an opinion, try to have a fuckin' clue about some actual facts

now, as to whether he wants to stay - which is the legitimate question, he has said repeatedly (and there's no reason to doubt him on this) that he will play where he feels he has the best chance at winning multiple championships. Cleveland is really high on that list.

don't forget, also, that he already had one chance to leave, and chose to re-sign with the Cavs.

I'm not the biggest NBA, but just assuming as LBJ career goes on and he gets older he is going to at least want a championship ring and might feel his not going to get it in Cleveland. At least Cleveland is trying for him, Unlike Minnesota with KG!

All I'm saying is when he's a free agent, don't be surprise if he decides to sign some place else for one reason or another.

letsrock
07-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Like Charles Barkley in 92.