PDA

View Full Version : Judas Priest fan listens to shitty album every day.

Mr. Vengeance
07-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Seriously...get a life or at least listen to British Steel or Stained Class .....Jeez.

Judas Priest superfan Jim 'Nostradamus' Bartek gets a taste of stardom for himself
by John Petkovic/Plain Dealer Reporter
Friday July 17, 2009, 3:06 PM
COURTESY JIM BARTEK Jim Bartek, left, was the honored guest of Judas Priest, led by singer Rob Halford, right -- when the heavy-metal band played Cleveland Tuesday. Halford sought out Bartek to congratulate him on listening to the band's album "Nostradamus" every day since it came out June 17, 2008.

Jim "Nostradamus" Bartek's heavy-metal dream came true -- but he isn't forgetting what it took to make it happen. The 49-year-old Maple Heights superfan has became a star himself -- for listening to one album at least once a day for 395 consecutive days. Not just any album, but the one-hour-45-minute double disc, "Nostradamus," by Judas Priest.

Members of the British heavy-metal band took notice, requesting to meet with Bartek before their show Tuesday at the Time-Warner Cable Amphitheater in Cleveland.

They posed for photos with Bartek and discussed the life of Nostradamus, the 16th-century seer who is credited with prophesizing cataclysmic events. They also marveled at the listening streak -- and not just Bartek's.

"[Singer] Rob Halford really loved that I listened to the record with Clarence," says Bartek, referring to his furry, metal-loving dog. "I do a lot of listening at midnight, so Clarence will come up to me right on time and be like, "Break out some 'Nostradamus.' "

Halford had long been aware of Bartek, who works in a parts room of a truck shop. Within weeks, friends started calling Bartek Nostradamus. By day 100, he became a cause celebre on heavy-metal blogs around the world.

". . . Halford knew me right away when I came onto the tour bus," Bartek said. "He was like, 'Wow, I read about you in the newspaper this morning."

Halford was referring to an article in The Plain Dealer on Bartek's streak. Versions of the story appeared in more than 100 publications, and on Rollingstone.com.

"It's crazy, but I'm getting so many people calling me about it," Bartek said. "I have interviews with 30 big classic-radio stations across the country booked for next week."

But fame isn't what drives Bartek.

"Friends keep on telling me, 'OK, you got a chance to meet Judas Priest, so how about you put an end to this crazy streak?' " Bartek said. "But to me it's all about the music. I love the record so much that 500 days is not only doable, but seems easy."

Especially after being inspired by Halford.

Bartek had a third-row-center concert ticket that arrived anonymously in the mail. He never found out who sent it to him, but Halford knew where Bartek was sitting. He pointed at Bartek during the show and gave him a thumbs up. Bartek responded by holding up the album.

"Rob was like, 'You have to keep the streak going, because you really get the whole "Nostradamus" concept,' " says Bartek.

Bartek was so pumped when he got home after the concert that he . . . Well, take a guess.

Anonymous
07-17-2009, 08:27 PM
Wow. Just... wow.

Nostradamus may actually be the worst - or really close - Metal album in history. How can this guy do it?

Guess you really can't discuss/account for tastes.

And, ah... what did Halford ask for, in return for that ticket?...

I'd be wary of such offers.

Cheers! :bottle:

sonrisa salvaje
07-17-2009, 08:30 PM
I think we have had a "lets hate Nostradamus" thread before. I don't agree with you guys. I think it is a decent album.

Mr. Vengeance
07-17-2009, 09:26 PM
I think we have had a "lets hate Nostradamus" thread before. I don't agree with you guys. I think it is a decent album.

You're entitled to your opinion just as is this guy in the article, but for me, that album is awful and not something I'd listen to every day.

Dolemite!
07-17-2009, 09:34 PM
All I can say is, I'm glad this guy isn't a room mate. For this or any other Priest albums he may be playing.

sadaist
07-17-2009, 09:37 PM

I bought it on a cross country road trip. Listened to it about 4 times through. Not a bad album, but haven't heard it since.

sonrisa salvaje
07-17-2009, 11:29 PM
You're entitled to your opinion just as is this guy in the article, but for me, that album is awful and not something I'd listen to every day.

Obviously if it was awful, you wouldn't listen to it everyday. I just don't get why people such as yourself think that. Granted, it's not Screamin for Vengeance or Painkiller but then again its a hell of a lot better than Turbo and Ram It Down isn't it?

sonrisa salvaje
07-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Nostradamus may actually be the worst - or really close - Metal album in history.

At least someone admits that it is a heavy metal album.

sadaist
07-18-2009, 04:06 AM
To me, any new Priest album where Rob Halford is still the lead singer is a good one.

Mr. Vengeance
07-18-2009, 07:29 AM
Obviously if it was awful, you wouldn't listen to it everyday. I just don't get why people such as yourself think that. Granted, it's not Screamin for Vengeance or Painkiller but then again its a hell of a lot better than Turbo and Ram It Down isn't it?

I can actually listen to Turbo and Ram it down. This piece of crap I cannot. It is self-indulgent, boring crap. But that's just my opinion.

sonrisa salvaje
07-18-2009, 10:26 AM
To me, any new Priest album where Rob Halford is still the lead singer is a good one.

This is where i am at. Maybe i am so happy that Halford is back and the Ripper Owens days are over. Its not that Owens was bad; their stuff with him was pretty cool but it wasn't Priest. I get where Mr. Vengeance is coming from. It is a concept album and most people either like it or hate it.

sonrisa salvaje
07-18-2009, 10:28 AM
On a side note. When Eatem and Smile came out, I may have done the same thing as this guy did with Nostradomus.

jackassrock
07-19-2009, 10:04 AM
I'll say this as a long time priest fan... that album sucks, but not as bad as the Tipton, Entwhistle, & Powell record.

jackassrock
07-19-2009, 10:05 AM
I'll say this as a long time priest fan... that album sucks, but not as bad as the Tipton, Entwistle, & Powell record.

Mr Badguy
07-19-2009, 11:37 AM
I'll say this as a long time priest fan... that album sucks, but not as bad as the Tipton, Entwistle, & Powell record.

Mr Badguy
07-19-2009, 11:41 AM
I used to listen to "Unleashed in the East" everyday for about six months.

Seriously, I loved it, still do.

Then I burned myself out on it.

It amazes me that anyone can do it with "Nostradamus".

There is a good album in there somewhere but there`s too much filler.

Like if Maiden padded "Seventh Son..." with an interlude song between each track that would be a shitty album too.

They knew how to edit their work, even at the price of the "concept".

binnie
07-20-2009, 02:36 AM
I am guessing that this guy is single........

BITEYOASS
07-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Rock albums should all be less than 40 minutes!

Seshmeister
07-20-2009, 07:42 AM
<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nptr3pgEIPA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nptr3pgEIPA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Seshmeister
07-20-2009, 07:43 AM
On a side note. When Eatem and Smile came out, I may have done the same thing as this guy did with Nostradomus.

I was just thinking that too - at least 6 months. :)

But EEAS is a lot shorter.