PDA

View Full Version : District attorney wants jail time for Burress

letsrock
07-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Paper: District attorney wants jail time for Burress - NFL - CBSSports.com Football (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11990658)

NEW YORK -- Manhattan's district attorney says he wants former Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress to serve time in prison, the New York Post reported.

Advertisement

Robert Morgenthau told the newspaper that Burress, who shot himself with an unlicensed gun in November, was willing to agree to spend a year in jail, but prosecutors insisted on two, the Post reported.

"We've always taken the position that he's going to have to go to jail, whether by trial or by plea," Morgenthau told the Post for a story in Monday's edition.

Burress shot himself in the thigh at a nightclub early on the morning of Nov. 29. He was charged with criminal possession of a weapon and faces up to 3½ years in prison. Burress has pleaded not guilty and is free on $100,000 bail. The Giants released Burress in April.

His attorney, Benjamin Brafman, said he was "disappointed and surprised" that Morgenthau spoke publicly while a grand jury decision on indicting Burress is pending.

"My concern is that the comments by the district attorney's office may have irreparably prejudiced those proceedings," Brafman said Monday. "I am now considering the legal options available to respond."

Brafman had previously said he no longer thought the matter would be resolved through a plea agreement and that prosecutors would take the case to a grand jury. He also said Burress would plead not guilty if the case went to trial.

"Now that they have drawn a line in the sand, this is going to be a battle," Brafman said.

Burress, who caught the go-ahead touchdown in the final minute for New York in the 2008 Super Bowl, also could face disciplinary action by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell under the league's personal conduct policy.

letsrock
07-27-2009, 11:24 AM
I know this is NY and Donte Stallworth incident was Florida. But this is wierd. Plax shoots himself. Why dont they just laugh at him? Donte kills a guy and does 24 days.
What type of jail time? 5 days.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-20-2009, 11:15 AM
He just agreed to a plea deal.... 2 years in the booty house....

fryingdutchman
08-21-2009, 05:32 AM
I believe they said with good behavior he could be out in 20 months.

I can hear Andy Reid drawing up the contract papers for the 2011-2012 season...

fryingdutchman
08-21-2009, 05:37 AM
I know this is NY and Donte Stallworth incident was Florida. But this is wierd. Plax shoots himself. Why dont they just laugh at him? Donte kills a guy and does 24 days.
What type of jail time? 5 days.

Mostly because Stallworth's incident was deemed an "accident." Stallworth was at fault for DUI, but the guy he hit was crossing a causeway in the wrong spot, and ignored the crosswalk.

Burress, on the other hand, was wielding an unlicensed gun around a nightclub.

Law enforcement is really trying to get out the message of "zero tolerance" for gun crimes.

That's why.

Maybe Officer ULTRAMAN can corroborate this notion?

TAKIN WHISKEY
08-21-2009, 10:28 AM
I think in NYC that the minimum sentence for carrying an unregistered firearm is 3 1/2 years. His attorney seemed to think that 20 months was as good as it could possibly get.

Kristy
08-21-2009, 04:12 PM
He just agreed to a plea deal.... 2 years in the booty house....

Which is a pretty lenient deal for a gun felony.