PDA

View Full Version : RIP Jim Johnson - Former Eagles Def Coordinator

Mr Walker
07-29-2009, 09:57 AM
The NFL reacts to Johnson's passing
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 28, 2009 9:18 PM ET
On a day when a certain still-retired quarterback made news with a capital N, the passing of former Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson brought the football community some perspective and sadness.

The tributes to Johnson began pouring in as soon as the news of his death spread to all those he touched during his years in the NFL, which included two as a player.

"For ten years, Jim Johnson was an exceptional coach for the Philadelphia Eagles, but more importantly, he was an outstanding human being," said Eagles Chairman Jeffrey Lurie.

"As an integral part of the Eagles family, Jim epitomized the traits of what a great coach should be - a teacher, a leader, and a winner. He positively touched the lives of so many people in and out of the Eagles organization. It was easy to feel close to him. Our hearts go out to his wife, Vicky and his wonderful family. We will miss him greatly."

Others who worked with and for Johnson spoke about what he meant to them.

Steve Spagnuolo, now coach of the Rams: "Jim meant the world to me personally and professionally. I am very blessed to have had the priviledge to work for him and with him. The NFL has lost a good man."

John Harbaugh, now coach of the Ravens: "I loved Jim Johnson. . . . He had a special ability to bring about the best in people while getting you to see the best in yourself. He saw potential and developed it. He made believe I could coach at this level.

"In football, he was a pioneering and brilliant strategist, changing the way defense is played in the NFL. For me, he was a father-type mentor, and above all, a cherished friend. He belongs in the Hall of Fame. I will miss him so much.

Commissioner Roger Goodell: "Jim Johnson was a beloved coach who spent 22 years in the NFL as one of the best defensive coaches in league history. He was a teacher to many players both on and off the field and devoted his life to the game of football.

"He had a positive influence on scores of young men and leaves behind a wonderful legacy."

Brian Dawkins: "This is a sad, sad day for myself and my Philadelphia family. Jim was tailor-made to coach in Philadelphia. He was a tough coach who wasn't afraid to let you know how he was feeling, but at the same time, he cared about us deeply."

More tributes pour in by the minute, and it's possible the Eagles will recognize Johnson later in some official capacity.

The loss is reminiscent of when popular Eagles defender Jerome Brown passed away a month before training camp in 1992. The life circumstances of the two are obviously vastly different, but both were known as the heart and soul of a proud defense.

There was a popular saying during the '92 season: "Bring it home for Jerome."

Those Eagles weren't able to win a title, but the 2009 version may be similarly motivated for a long playoff run in Johnson's honor.

Mr Walker
07-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Not a big Eagles fan, but I was real sad to hear this news... I knew he was sick, but still. Being on the East Coast, I'll miss seeing him on the sidelines. This might just kick things into gear for a Superbowl run for the Eagles.

Mr Walker
07-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Kinda sucks how this NFL news gets buried by the Favre and Vick shit in the press.
Johnson was a class act!

redblkwht
07-29-2009, 01:30 PM
WOW nobody said he was this sick..RIP JJ.
hopefully philly gets revved up this year in his honor.

TAKIN WHISKEY
08-07-2009, 09:50 AM
I am a Cowboys fan and one thing I know, Jim Johnson was one of the best defensive football coaches in the history of the league. He will be missed by the entire NFL. THe Eagles will have a hard time replacing him.

fryingdutchman
08-07-2009, 11:36 AM
WOW nobody said he was this sick..RIP JJ.

Well....maybe not directly, but it became pretty obvious if you read between the lines.

He coached the last few games of last season from the press box because he couldn't stand on the sidelines.

And then a couple of weeks ago they named Sean McDermott as the new defensive coordinator.

So it became pretty obvious that he wasn't doing well.

It's a real shame. Jim was a class guy who had the respect of all of the players.

He would pull stuff out of his bag of tricks on the fly that would destroy opposing offenses.

Hopefully McDermott will continue in the Johnson tradition and the Eagles grab a ring this year.

TAKIN WHISKEY
08-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Hey fryingdutchman, the Eagles should be unbelievable this year. McNabb has some damn good weapons and knows how to use them. My Cowboys have there work cut out for them, especially after that beating we took week 17 last season. McDermott SHOULD be able to step in and do a decent job, considering he has been an understudy of JJ, BUT there is only one Jim Johnson. Can't wait till week 1.

ppg960
08-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Hey fryingdutchman, the Eagles should be unbelievable this year. McNabb has some damn good weapons and knows how to use them. My Cowboys have there work cut out for them, especially after that beating we took week 17 last season. McDermott SHOULD be able to step in and do a decent job, considering he has been an understudy of JJ, BUT there is only one Jim Johnson. Can't wait till week 1.

I think so as well. It's going to interesting with the Eagles, Giants and Cowboys.
Jim Johnson was a great coach-the Eagles will miss him.