PDA

View Full Version : New Class 5, 5 watt Marshall

indeedido
07-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Here is a pretty cool little amp I stumbled across in my interweb travels. Check it

Marshall Theatre (http://www.marshallamps.com/marshall_theatre_popup.asp?clipNo=0&clipCat=class5)

Marshall Amps :: Class5 (http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=Class5)

Street Price of $399 What do you think?

Class5 delivers all-valve pure tone in a simple format which puts your customers directly in contact with the amplifier’s raw abilities and tone. The 5W output allows you to really drive the amplifier to a level where both the pre-amp and power amplifier stages deliver to their full potential for an unmistakable all-valve playing experience, without traditional high volume levels. The Class5 answers the needs of both novice players and artists alike. At last, the valve sound, sensation and all-valve power of a Marshall stack, but in a more compact lower wattage amplifier.

Combining elements of classic looks, the Class5 will appeal to users who like a more traditional styling. The Class5 ‘top loading’ format is indicative of more traditional Marshall combo amplifiers. This format makes navigating the controls on the fly very easy without having to crouch down to find the right dials. Finished in traditional Black Levant covering and the same fret cloth as used on other traditional Marshall amplifiers and furnished with the highest cabinet components, the Class5 stands out in the crowd with its true Marshall pedigree.

The cabinet’s looks and quality don’t end at what you can see. Underneath the vinyl covering is a quality, hand-built, birch ply cabinet using traditional finger joints for additional strength and superior tone. Every Class5 is subject to Marshall’s rigorous testing procedure and quality control, meaning that not only can it achieve fantastic tone but it also lives up to the requirements of roadworthiness that is dictated by every guitarist.

The incredible thing about the Class5 is its volume, it is 5 Watts of REAL valve power, much louder than many would expect. Also, it is impossible to mistake its true class A tone, richer in second harmonic distortion making it pleasant sounding to the ear. The simple layout of the controls for the Class5 makes easy work of reaching great tone.

indeedido
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/indeedido/Untitled-1copy.jpg

indeedido
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/indeedido/Untitled-2copy.jpg

indeedido
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/indeedido/Untitled-3copy.jpg

jhale667
07-30-2009, 04:59 PM
Interesting. Probably would sound great pushing a 4x12.

:guitar:

Nitro Express
07-30-2009, 10:39 PM
A lot of these 5 watt amps do sound great. A pushed EL-84 sounds simular to a EL-34 and you can get the good ol dimed power section sound without rattling the drywall loose in your home.

Nitro Express
07-30-2009, 10:41 PM
Face it. Frying tubes and transformers is still fun. It's just a lot cheaper to do it with a 5 watt class A amp than a vintage 100 watt head. Amps are like women. Sometimes you just have to fuck em hard and slap them around a bit. :D

Panamark
07-31-2009, 01:33 AM
Anyone tried one of these side by side with the
15watt Marshall Mid Stack in the other thread here ?

This looks interesting for sure !

GAR
07-31-2009, 04:01 AM
Nice find! I'll look into this..

indeedido
07-31-2009, 10:24 AM
Interesting that the Class 5 amp is made in the UK, but the Haze is made in India. Both are affordable low wattage amps. If they outsourced the Haze to India, I'm surprised the Class 5 didn't get outsourced too. I didn't dig the Haze, but I'll definately try one of these out when I can find one.

GAR
08-01-2009, 05:20 AM
If it has a secondary 16 ohm output, it may not be of the transformerless tube design.

Panamark
08-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Well thats great news !

Panamark
08-01-2009, 11:02 AM
oops thought you said "it had a scondary output"

I just wanna know if it sounds great and can drive a
standard Marsahll cab 4 x 12 Celestions...

Coyote
08-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Nice, even though I'm not giving up my Laney for this...

Panamark
08-02-2009, 01:47 AM
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/indeedido/Untitled-2copy.jpg

DOH !!

Theres the answer, thanks indeedido I was salivating over the pics
so much I missed the fineprint...
SO it can drive a CAB ! Now I gotta find one of these and try it !!
Would be awesome for home recording if it does infact sound like
its big brothers cranked right out...

Panamark
08-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Only thing I would wish for was maybe an ohm selector on
the secondary output.
I assume the secondary out switches off the internal 10" speaker ??

indeedido
08-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Yeah I never understood why amps would have an output for a cab but no ohm selector.

jhale667
08-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Yeah I never understood why amps would have an output for a cab but no ohm selector.

That's one thing I love about Boogies...you never have to worry about that, they're impervious to mis-matches. They actually encourage you to try mis-matched cabs for different tones...

GAR
08-05-2009, 02:36 AM
How is THAT possible?

You mean I can run two cabs fulla 16ohm celestions, wire em all parallel to become a single 2 ohm load and the output transformer will not fail?

That's not only impossible, it's as foolish a claim as it is bold. Thermal breakdown from the resistance alone, heating it up, would cause the polyester coating on the inside trans coils to melt and short out.

Link that badassed claim, I wanna see it in text form.. or were you just told this bullshit by somebody? Because that is a buncha bullshit right there.

You can, and will, harm the output trannys permanently on a below-impedanced mismatch of output loads on anything, eventually.

Do not do this to any equipment you expect to enjoy for very long.

Panamark
08-05-2009, 03:07 AM
But is Jay referring to Mesa cabs only, or all brands ?
The Boogers may have impedance matching built in ?

(You would probably know if that was the case, Gar ?)

I've seen many power amps that rate outputs from
2-16 ohm... (Without having to switch anything)