PDA

View Full Version : Best concerts you've seen

Dolemite!
08-02-2009, 06:25 PM
I did a search for this, didn't see an earlier topic, so here goes.

Iron Maiden 2007
Roger Waters 2002
The Police 2008
Testament 2006
Bryan Ferry 2003
Chic 2009
Duran Duran 2009
Moody Blues 2008
Duran Duran 2006
Bruce Springsteen & E Street Band 2009
Megadeth 2006
Status Quo 2007

hideyoursheep
08-02-2009, 06:58 PM
<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JEVDoL6J_U4&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JEVDoL6J_U4&hl=en&fs&autoplay=0&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

standin
08-02-2009, 07:10 PM
<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JEVDoL6J_U4&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JEVDoL6J_U4&hl=en&fs&autoplay=0&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

hideyoursheep
08-02-2009, 07:25 PM
theif...

:biggrin:

Dolemite!
08-02-2009, 07:27 PM
There's a difference when that happens right at the beginning of a thread and derails it.

Dolemite!
08-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Look, I actually like this thread. I even like the last 2 music threads you've started about the best albums of the '80 and '90s because I like talking about music that's why I've contributed to both of them. But you ought to lighten up. Peace.

Your liking the threads is not the issue.

So you wouldn't mind if I made a first reply similar to the one here in your Tim Burton thread and other similar ones? Which leads to the whole topic being hijacked?

standin
08-02-2009, 07:43 PM
<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VGEHYY8c8VM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VGEHYY8c8VM&hl=en&fs&autoplay=0&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

BTW, you have picked up the code name Stephen. Hope you like it. :hitch:

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VGEHYY8c8VM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VGEHYY8c8VM&hl=en&fs&autoplay=0&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

Nickdfresh
08-02-2009, 07:53 PM
There's a difference when that happens right at the beginning of a thread and derails it.

This from the erratic, troll twat that has tried to derail entire forums on the website...

Dolemite!
08-02-2009, 08:08 PM
This from the erratic, troll twat that has tried to derail entire forums on the website...

Which "entire forum" are we talking about and when did I try to do this?

Dolemite!
08-02-2009, 08:44 PM
I had no intention of hijacking and/or derailing your thread. Notice that I was the only poster other than yourself who did stay on topic, that is, until now. You're actually derailing your own thread now.

Lastly, if my posting a little laughing emoticon in your thread distresses you, I won't do it in the future. Coolio?

If you think I'm derailing my own thread take a look around. I didn't say anything in three other very recent threads of mine, all derailed by the same mindless idiots. So I chose to say something in the fourth such thread in less than a week.

It's not simply a matter of using a laugh emoticon, but it was in encouraging Hideyourbrains to continue his stupid schtick. But thanks if as you say you won't be doing it in future.

hideyoursheep
08-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Van Halen : 24 April, 1980: Cincinnati, OH

Stevie Ray Vaughn, Stray Cats, Duke Tomatoe: Date unknown.Deer Creek, Indiana. Sept. 1989

Monsters Of Rock : 2 September 1984: N&#252;rnberg, Germany

Danzig: 08/03/1993, Bogart's, Cincinnati.

Alvin Lee: Date unknown, Munnerstadt, Germany '86 or 87 (memory a liitle fuzzy)

The Rolling Stones / Living Colour- Cardinal Stadium (Louisville, KY) - September 19, 1989

Guns n Roses / Metallica / Faith No More: 07/22/1992 Indianapolis, Indiana Hoosier Dome

Those are the more memorable shows...too many to list.

Go fuck yourself, Andy.

Dolemite!
08-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Couple of interesting concerts there, shithead.

hideyoursheep
08-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Buy yourself a new dress and piss off.

hideyoursheep
08-02-2009, 11:00 PM
I went to the G'NR/Metallica/Faith No More show in New Jersey, and only got to see FNM and Metallica. I had to leave before G'NR played because it was 1 in the morning yet they hadn't come onstage. I had to take a bus back to NY then get on the subway home, so I just couldn't hang around any longer. There were other people in the parking lot waiting for the next bus back to NY and they were PISSED and cursing at G'NR and about the fact that they were in NJ. Then we heard the music start. G'NR had taken the stage. We were cursing them out even more.

Same deal here. Didn't come out for 2 fucking hours. No beer sold. Played about 10 minutes, went on a 5 minute sermon about Mike Tyson being in prison, about 4 more songs, and another FUCKING 1 HOUR INTERMISSION!

If not for FNM and Metallica, that place would have been trashed, but people were too fucking tired....many of them left before GnR finished jerking around.

I forgot about the time Axl Pose stopped a song to pick a fight with some dude in the crowd over a goddamed rose he threw to some chick who didn't want it.

Got to the car at 4 am..

hideyoursheep
08-02-2009, 11:04 PM
The 94 summer shit tour with Danzig and Suicidal Tendencies was much better...

VH Drummer
08-02-2009, 11:19 PM
This is a tough one...because I've enjoyed some concerts more than others but they weren't necessarily the best shows.

But I will say #1 for me is:
Motley Crue, 12/31/05 at the Palace of Auburn Hills. Just an awesome, awesome time out and it was basically the only real 'original' show they did on that tour since all of their stage talk was completely different.

The others...
Velvet Revolver, 5/12/07 at the Royal Oak Music Theater. Seeing these guys in a small theater blocks from my house was incredible. I was a lukewarm fan going into the show and a die hard leaving. I was about 15' from Slash and was just in awe of the legends rocking out in my hometown.

Van Halen, 10/20/07 at Joe Louis Arena. This wasn't that great of a show by any means but it was the first time I saw Ed and Dave on stage together. I had goosebumps when the lights when out; the emotional impact was so strong, especially during "Runnin' with the Devil"; seeing 20,000 fists pumping under the red lights. It was an amazing sight and I'm sure only a taste of what it used to be like.

Van Halen, 6/2/08 at Van Andel Arena. This was the best of the 3 shows I saw last tour. The band was tight and their interactions were fairly loose; Dave acted more like Dave than any other point of the tour. And to boot, I walked away with an amazing audio recording.

Velvet Revolver, 1/26/08 at the Fillmore Detroit. This was their last show here with Scott Weiland and vocals. The band hated each other at this point and it provided enough adrenaline for them to put on the best show I had ever seen from them. Non-stop adrenaline and power for almost two hours. God, I miss that band.

Motley Crue/Aerosmith, 10/11/06 at DTE Energy Music Theater. Why a show was scheduled outside for mid-October in Michigan is beyond me but it was a damn good time. It was by far the worst Motley Crue show I had ever attended--but it was so bad that it was actually kind of good. It was the first time I saw Aerosmith and while their set list disappointed the shit out of me, they kicked ass. It was cold, rainy, windy and muddy but it was a night I'll never forget (especially considering the fact I was humming "Toys in the Attic" all day in school before the show).

Then after that, two "honorable" mentions would be:

The Who, either 9/29/06, 12/5/06 or 10/21/08. For the first show, it just blew me away how POWERFUL their music is live even without Keith and John. The second show was in Grand Rapids and my dad and I snuck down to the front row which was absolutely unreal. The most recent show was the opening night of the tour--the set list was great and brought back a lot of good memories for me; the opening band was fucking stellar (INWARD EYE) and I've seen them every time they've come back here since, and even sort of befriended them. Check them out, their drummer is the second coming of Keith Moon and he's my age.

Stone Temple Pilots on 7/7/09 in Lansing. I ended up getting about 10' from the stage and it was just friggin' awesome watching these guys play that close. When I saw them last year I wasn't all that impressed nor was I familiar with all the tunes. But by the time this show came around, I was a die hard fan so I enjoyed myself immensely; not to mention the band absolutely kicked ass.

Terry
08-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Have seen a lot of shows, but the one that stands out the most (even more than the Stones in 1989, or Van Halen / Dio / Scorpions / Ozzy / Judas Priest - all seen in 1984) was a show in Providence Rhode Island in 1987 at a club called The Living Room.

Gary Moore was touring his Wild Frontier album, and had Bob Daisley on bass and Eric Singer on drums. Place was small, maybe 1,000 people at most, so the sound was excellent and the band was just shit hot.

Second place would be Iron Maiden in 1985.

hideyoursheep
08-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Oh, seen Rush and Ozzy numerous times over the years ending around 93..

But only the Jake / Zac era Ozzy. :(

hideyoursheep
08-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Have seen a lot of shows, but the one that stands out the most (even more than the Stones in 1989, or Van Halen / Dio / Scorpions / Ozzy / Judas Priest - all seen in 1984) was a show in Providence Rhode Island in 1987 at a club called The Living Room.

Gary Moore was touring his Wild Frontier album, and had Bob Daisley on bass and Eric Singer on drums. Place was small, maybe 1,000 people at most, so the sound was excellent and the band was just shit hot.

Those are the best! :baaa:

bueno bob
08-03-2009, 12:00 AM
Um...

Black Sabbath / Motorhead / Tiamat - 1995, Roseland, Portland.
GREAT fucking show! Tiamat was all black prog metal, Motorhead kicked ass and Sabbath was just the perfect touch to end the night off with. Forbidden stuff sounded great live, all around awesome show.

Dio - 2000, Roseland, Portland.
Wild Dawgs opened that night and was alright, the second band I don't remember much...some three piece that nobody liked...but Ronnie was in full form, sounded great, played a lot of oddball stuff and also played the entire Magica album front to back (and it didn't even get released until the following Tuesday). Topped it off with some Rainbow and Sabbath classics...gem of a night...

Dokken / Great White - 1999, Roseland, Portland.
Only downside to the night was that I bought a friend of mine a ticket - he downed 9 Long Island Ice Teas, threw up repeatedly and passed out before Dokken even got on the stage. Waste of a ticket. But Great White put on a fun show, and Dokken was completely firing on all cylinders. Don was having fun and his voice was holding up - Reb Beach was tearing shit up, last tour with Jeff Pilson, Erase the Slate was a kickass album, great tour to see them on.

Grayceon - Berbati's Pan, Plan B and The Rotture, all in Portland
I first discovered these cats when I went to Berbatis Pan here in Portland to see Agalloch (who should be noted as having put on a fucking GREAT show too). Grayceon is ALWAYS the best band to see live. They're a trio - hard to sum up, but look at it like this - Jackie plays cello and sings, Max plays guitar and sings, Zack plays drums. No bass. It's like post rock meets speed metal, progressive doom and jazz and folk rock. Rest assured - it's POWER. RAW FUCKING POWER live. And its very beautiful. Check them out, if you want to hear something that'll blow your mind: Grayceon Official Web Site: Band (http://www.grayceon.com/band.shtml)

Just went and saw them last night with Sedan, Giant Squid and Thrones...wow...

Kiss - Tiger Stadium, Detroit 1996.
I was back in Michigan at the time this happened. Paul, Ace, Gene, Peter...what else do you need to know?

The Misfits - La Luna, Portland, 1997.
I don't remember who all opened (Earth Crisis? Sick of it All?), but I was morbidly curious, so I went. During the mic check, the tester calls out "Whoa oh oh!" to which the 1000+ in the audience all responded "HATE BREEDERS WHOA OH OH!". You knew magic was going to happen that night, and it did - Graves wasn't anywhere near Danzig, but it was still a great long set and we finally had a chance to hear the stuff live that we all figured we never would.

Savatage - 1991, Roseland, Portland
Even thought the current album they were on flopped big time ("Streets"), I was still a fan of it and had been DYING to see Savatage since I first heard of them in 1987 with the "Hall of the Mountain King" album. Man...why they never truly hit is just fucking astonishing...Jon Oliva was (and is) one of the best five frontmen of ANY band EVER...Criss Oliva would have left Eddie crying in his beer, and was (in my estimation) MILES better than anything Randy Rhoads could have EVER aspired to being...sheer fucking PERFECTION on guitar and the world is a shittier place without him by a LONG, LONG margin. First and last time I was ever able to see them, and even though the new material didn't fly with the audience too much, it was just in-fuckin-credible to watch them do it...

binnie
08-03-2009, 02:18 AM
Metallica - Wembley Stadium July 2007

Mastodon and Machine Head opened and it was a day of brutal metal in front of 70,000 people. Awesome sound, incredibly heavy, and two and a half hours of metal magic. I doubt I'll ever see a gig that tops it.

Velvet Revolver - Birmingham 2008 (I think)

Scott was on the verge of being kicked out of the band (there were two or three more gigs after this I think.) The tension and aggression fuelled the band, and Scott went mental, jumping into the crowd.

Machine Head - Leeds Town & Country 1997.

A band on fire. The performance of 'Violate' was also the most overpowering slab of emotion I've ever witnessed.

Nine Inch Nails - Manchester Apollo 2007

Intense and powerful. There's something different about a N.I.N gig.

Fu Manchu - Nottingham Rock City 2006 (I think.)

Had to wait until 2AM for them to come on, but it was more than worth it. How anyone manages to combine so much heaviness and so much groove is beyond me.

Panamark
08-03-2009, 06:33 AM
I just crashed on my desk with those relaxing eco noises

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

standin
08-03-2009, 08:08 AM
I donno...
I have been in some backwoods places where the crickets where so loud there was no way to sleep....

Best concerts I have ever been to was were the bonfire and the people gather.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-03-2009, 10:30 AM
I turned off the autoplays....

Dolemite!
08-03-2009, 04:33 PM
That's a relief. Thanks.

WARF
08-03-2009, 04:38 PM
I did a search for this, didn't see an earlier topic, so here goes.

Iron Maiden 2007
Roger Waters 2002
The Police 2008
Testament 2006
Bryan Ferry 2003
Chic 2009
Duran Duran 2009
Moody Blues 2008
Duran Duran 2006
Bruce Springsteen & E Street Band 2009
Megadeth 2006
Status Quo 2007

Didn't you take a date recently to DORA EXPLORER??

bueno bob
08-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Didn't you take a date recently to DORA EXPLORER??

What the fuck? Of COURSE he didn't!

It was American Idol Live... :D

rocknrolldork
08-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughn, Stray Cats, Duke Tomatoe: Date unknown.Deer Creek, Indiana. Sept. 1989

The Rolling Stones / Living Colour- Cardinal Stadium (Louisville, KY) - September 19, 1989

I was at those shows. Stevie Ray was unbelievably awesome that night. Played a long time too.

I had front row center for that Stones show in Louisville. It was incredibly hot when the fire shot up at the beginning of Start Me Up. I saw Ozzy and Metallica at that stadium during the MoP/Ultimate Sin tour, except it wasn't set up like the Stones show.

I've seen too many great shows to list. Most of my fav's were small club or house shows.

hideyoursheep
08-04-2009, 05:36 AM
I was at those shows. Stevie Ray was unbelievably awesome that night. Played a long time too.

I had front row center for that Stones show in Louisville. It was incredibly hot when the fire shot up at the beginning of Start Me Up.

Thank God!!

I can't remember what the date was...I lost my stub that night.

Stevie was on fucking fire, man...

The Stones in Louisville....WHEW!!! What a night that turned out to be for me..

I'd better keep that one to myself..:hee:

katie
08-04-2009, 05:47 AM
.Every Rollins Band and Henry Rollins show in NYC that I've seen since 1993, except the 1997 at Webster Hall because the show was cut short and HR's voice was barely audible. Years later I found out from reading Rollins's book that he had voice problems that night.

You don't say...:lmao:

Nickdfresh
08-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Hey Trolmite!, did you see the Gary Glitter show?

http://www.moneymad.org/Previous/gary_glitter_paedo_paedophile.jpg

Dolemite!
08-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Trollmod strikes again ^.

sadaist
08-04-2009, 12:03 PM
The Police 2008

I will agree with that one 100%. I saw them in Los Angeles and had the choice of the Staples center (indoor arena) or Dodger Stadium. I chose Dodger Stadium. Although maybe the sound isn't as good there and parking is much more of a nightmare. The difference of 12,000 indoors and 65,000 outdoors can not truly be explained. Turns a concert into an event. Fucking incredible show. Made even more special as I've always been a big fan of The Police yet had never seen them live.

Dolemite!
08-04-2009, 12:14 PM
It's one of those concerts where I enjoyed about every song. I arrived late so I wasn't able to get up to the front. But I'm definitely glad I caught them before they split. I think I would have gone for the indoors one, it allows me to get closer to the stage. But I saw them as part of a festival.

Anonymous
08-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Dolemite tells us about his lust for the cock: http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/website-related-discussion-webmaster-feedback/55957-why-no-dick-pics-2.html#post1371436

Dolemite... HE'S TROLLING FOR THE COCK!!!

Cheers! :bottle:

ODShowtime
08-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Some of the best for me:

1. Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes E-Center Camden New Jersey 2000 - the most drunk I've ever been in my life. I woke up the next morning in a car somewhere in Philly with a splitting headache and a cheeseburger in my pocket (WTF?). 100% perfect rock and roll.

2. Stone Temple Pilots & others Rolling Rock Town Fair Latrobe PA 2001 - STP showed why they were headlining. Sleazy sexy LA Rawk. Too bad the lazy cocksuckers blew off Tampa this year. Great way to piss of fans.

3. Gov't Mule Tampa Theater 2005 - just a perfect show

4. Van Halen Hershey Park 1998 - I don't care who the singer was, this was when Ed could still play guitar. This compared to Tampa w/ Dave is night and day and I have the tapes to prove it.

5. David Bowie Hershey Park 2004 - Only concert I ever scalped tickets to and one of the best ever. The guitar work from Earl slick and company was mind-blowing. Still have Sister Midnight stuck in my head.

6. Alice in Chains Orlando 2006 - Holy shit these guys are hard-core. The Them Bones/Damn that River combo still gives me chills. Remember when people knew how to write a fuckin riff?

The best thing is that I have the tapes of all of these shows, some in perfect FM quality (VH) or even professional DVD(STP). The only exception is the Bowie show, but he released a DVD of the tour, which is pretty close. I am very blessed to be able to relive these great events.

sonrisa salvaje
08-15-2009, 01:46 PM
I'll tell you one of the more interesting concerts i went to. Definitely one of the most memorable but the quality wasn't anything to speak of. It was in 1988 and 2 Live Crew was the headliner in Birmingham, AL. Here is the full list from headliner down:
2 Live Crew
N.W.A.
Eazy E
M.C. Hammer
Sir Mixalot
Tone Loc
J.J. Fad

Me and my friends started out on the floor -4 white guys lookiing like a few grains of salt in a pepper shaker. The crowd was pretty much into JJ Fad because they had a hit "Supersonic" that was popular at the time. However, when Tone Loc came out the crowd started booing and i heard insults being yelled like "sissy m'f'"; i guess the crowd considered him to be a sellout. Interestingly enough, M.C. Hammer wasn't overly popular yet and he was still on his first album and wasn't considered to be a sellout yet so the crowd was actually quite respectful of him. 2 Live Crew came out and just fell apart. All they did was rap over a record of themselves rapping so you could actually hear the vocal tracks from the record as well. 2 Live's monitors proceeded to go out so that they couldn't hear themselves and they stopped rapping. Then all you could hear was the record with the vocal tracks and the band seemed embarrassed. They kicked over their monitors in anger and left the stage. After about 10 minutes they were convinced to come back for 1 song. 2 Live Crew brought all the acts back on stage to share in a singalong of "Hey We Want Some P...."; M.C. Hammer was up there waving his hands and singing this, and in retrospect that is a funny remembrance.
When i said i started out on the floor, i forgot to mention we had to move up into the stands about half way because fights started breaking out. When i say fights, i mean 5 on 1 muggings and beatdowns. Being the only white people in a crowd of about 10,000 we got pretty paranoid and went to the upper deck. I asked a couple of brothers up there what was going on with all the fights and they told me that the fraternities were doing there hazing rituals. They would walk around until they saw pledges and then they would jump on them and beat the shit out of them. I hope it was worth it to those kids because i saw guys bleeding and having to run over to security to get to safety. It was little more than an organized riot.

ppg960
08-15-2009, 10:56 PM
DLR- Eat'em and Smile 1986 Wpg. Arena
U2 - Wpg Stadium 1995
VH - 1984 Wpg Arena
Iron Maiden / Twisted Sister 1985 Wpg Arena
VH-2004 Spammy Tour - MTS Center / Decent show
Motley Crue / Tesla 1989 Wpg Arena
Rolling Stones - 1996 Stadium in Winnipeg

My top ones anyway.

Dave's Bitch
08-16-2009, 04:45 AM