PDA

View Full Version : Old School Beer

FORD
08-04-2009, 03:52 PM
http://theawesomer.com/photos/2008/09/091108_fossil_1.jpg

Pint glasses full of Fossil Fuels Beer are raising eyebrows around northern California. This could be due to the fact that the unique ingredient for the line of Fossil Fuels beer is a yeast strain dating back to the Eocene Epoch, which is about 45 million years ago. A team of scientists, Dr. Raul Cano (Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, CA) and Lewis “Chip” Lambert (Fremont, CA), are partnering with brew masters Peter Hackett (Stumptown Brewery, Guerneville, CA), Joe Kelley (Kelley Bros. Brewing, Manteca, CA) and attorney Scott Bonzell (Oakland, CA) to produce what is surely one of the most interesting and unique beers of this or any time. With the green light from beer critics, brewers and end consumers alike, the team that comprises Fossil Fuels Brewing Co. is gearing up to share the product with the public.

The history of the yeast literally dates back before the dawn of man, to a time when the earth was warm, tropical and teeming with life. Ancient Amber Modern mammals that we see today were beginning to appear in what is known as the Eocene epoch (from the Greek word eos meaning “dawn”). During this time, a snapshot of biological life was trapped by tropical tree sap. Over the course of millions of years, the sap hardened into amber, which preserved and protected its contents. That is, until Dr. Cano, using amber obtained from locations around the world (including Burma, Central and North America), isolated and revived a bacterium, which had lain dormant in the gut of an encased bee for approximately 40 million years (Science 268, pp. 1060-1064, 1995). During his research, Dr. Cano, periodically working with Mr. Lambert, isolated a few yeast strains that resembled modern Saccharomyces cerevisiae. In other words, they are similar to the yeast we use every day for brewing and baking, except the newly discovered yeasts were much further back in the evolutionary chain. Essentially, Dr. Cano isolated the long lost ancestors of modern brewing yeast.

Fossil Fuels Brewing Co. hosted a launch party at Kelly Brothers Brewing Co. in the summer of 2008 to commence the release of their new beer brewed with its truly remarkable yeast to the public.

More on this here (http://www.fossilfuelsbrewingco.com/)

Damn, I gotta track down some of this shit.... :gulp:

Anonymous
08-04-2009, 04:07 PM
I'll try it if I can.

But I really don't understand people's obsession with the "old" or "ancient" thing.

Old is when you crapped out of the window and didn't bathe. Maybe in your wedding day, but not more than that.

Old is when you drank warm, flat beer.

Old sucks. Still, I guess it's romantic, and all.

Like I said, I will try that beer, if I find it. Not sure if it'll be any good, though.

Remarkable yeast. Indeed.

Cheers! :bottle:

Coyote
08-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Is this stuff 2.50$ a gallon?

Anonymous
08-04-2009, 07:20 PM
I bet it'll be expensive as hell. Trappist beer is the price of gold. Just imagine a beer made with a yeast that isn't even yeast yet.

Cheers! :bottle:

TAKIN WHISKEY
08-07-2009, 09:28 AM
I'm guessing that they only use a VERY small amount of that yeast, and the rest is regular yeast. It's a gimmick for sure, but I will give it a try, and see what it tastes like. The last time I tried a beer recommended on a thread here at the Army was King Midas or something like that. Scientists had taken a gold goblet of King Midas, that he used for drinking his beer/mead and analyzed its contents, and then brewed a beer that would have been very close to what he had been drinking. Needless to say, the King was drinking some very good shit. I think it was like $13 for 4 bottles. Well worth it.