PDA

View Full Version : 80's Director John Hughes Is Dead

Kristy
08-06-2009, 05:34 PM
NEW YORK (CBS)

The 1985 film "The Breakfast Club," directed by John Hughes, became the quintessential coming of age film of its era. It starred, left to right, Judd Nelson, Emelio Estevez, Ally Sheedy, Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall.

A spokeswoman for John Hughes says the director of 1980s coming-of-age films like "Sixteen Candles" and "The Breakfast Club" has died in Manhattan.

Michelle Bega says the 59-year-old Hughes died of a heart attack during a morning walk. He was in Manhattan to visit family.

He made a teen star of Molly Ringwald with 1984's "Sixteen Candles" about a girl's nightmarish birthday on the eve of her sister's wedding.

Ringwald also starred in "The Breakfast Club," about a group of high school misfits during Saturday detention, and "Pretty in Pink."

Hughes also directed "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and wrote "Home Alone." He lived in Illinois and set many of his films in the Chicago area.

Hughes' iconic coming-of-age work included such films as "The Breakfast Club," "Sixteen Candles" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off." He also directed 1985's "Weird Sience," 1987's "Planes, Trains & Automobiles," 1988's "She's Having a Baby," 1989's "Uncle Buck" and 1991's "Curly Sue."

(© 2009 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved)

Apparently from a heart attack. Personally, I thought he was much younger than 59 and that 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' was the last movie he did that was worth seeing. Geesh, life is short.

Dolemite!
08-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Looks like I might be watching Breakfast Club later today.

fryingdutchman
08-06-2009, 06:38 PM
FUCK!!

That sucks. Much too young to go.

"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" is one of my all-time favorite movies.

Rest In Peace, John.

FORD
08-06-2009, 07:04 PM
The brat pack movies..... Ferris Bueller.....National Lampoon's Vacation. the John Candy flicks.... shit, those movies WERE the 80's.

R.I.P. Mr. Hughes :(

twonabomber
08-06-2009, 07:24 PM
"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" is one of my all-time favorite movies.

with Weird Science close behind.

Curly Sue was an enormous piece of shit...and my ex-fiance loved it.

Kristy
08-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Curly Sue was an enormous piece of shit...and my ex-fiance loved it.

For some reason Hugues decided to commit career suicide in the 90's - starting with 'Home Alone.' What in the hell ever made him do 'Beethoven' is beyond me.

BITEYOASS
08-06-2009, 09:19 PM
All I have to say is AUTOMOBILE! ROFLAO RIP! :D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tktNZpUTMoQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tktNZpUTMoQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

bueno bob
08-07-2009, 02:07 AM
Well, fuck. There goes my dream of Ferris Bueller Part 2.

But seriously, the hidden understory of Ferris Bueller, now THAT was genius.

Consider:

Ferris Bueller didn't exist. Cameron Fry imagined the whole notion of "Ferris Bueller" and skipping school to go party in Chicago directly from his house as he stayed home sick. If he went out into Chicago at all, it was just to the art museum (and I say that due to the huge impact of Fry staring at the picture...very moving scene, I think).

You see, "Ferris Bueller" didn't exist. "Ferris Bueller" was Fry's alter ego that could do no wrong and was infinitely cool...Sloane was the hot girl in school that Fry was in love with but could never get - she'd never pay any attention to a dweeb like him - but Ferris, now...Ferris she would.

And he finally, at the end of the film, went out into his Dads shop and destroyed the car as a way of kickstarting the life that he knew he could only dream about unless he did something drastic in order to begin it. Sieze the day, so to speak.

That, of course, explains how they were able to see SO MUCH of Chicago in such a short amount of time...all Fry's fantasy. Every bit of it. Ferris Bueller, his imaginary alter ego, his mirror image reversed, inspired him to achieve a life that could someday become the life of Ferris Bueller.

It's Fight Club before Fight Club, when you get right down to it. The scenes with Ferris' sister? His dominant ego trying to "catch him in the act of skipping" - his dominant ego arguing with him that "skipping school" (i.e. "embracing life without restraint") wasn't the "right" thing to do. As is Principle Rooney..."the man" (or maybe his Dad) trying to reel him in. Ferris' sister protecting him at the end from their "parents" was Frys dominant ego finally letting go and saying "Fuckin' go for it, dude!"

Next time you watch it, think about that. You'll watch that movie in a COMPLETELY different light every time thereafter.

binnie
08-07-2009, 02:38 AM
Budd Schulberg has also passed away. He wrote the screenplay for 'On The Waterfront' and was an outstanding boxing writer.

fryingdutchman
08-07-2009, 04:35 AM

Consider:

Ferris Bueller didn't exist. Cameron Fry imagined the whole notion of "Ferris Bueller" and skipping school to go party in Chicago directly from his house as he stayed home sick. If he went out into Chicago at all, it was just to the art museum (and I say that due to the huge impact of Fry staring at the picture...very moving scene, I think).

You see, "Ferris Bueller" didn't exist. "Ferris Bueller" was Fry's alter ego that could do no wrong and was infinitely cool...Sloane was the hot girl in school that Fry was in love with but could never get - she'd never pay any attention to a dweeb like him - but Ferris, now...Ferris she would.

And he finally, at the end of the film, went out into his Dads shop and destroyed the car as a way of kickstarting the life that he knew he could only dream about unless he did something drastic in order to begin it. Sieze the day, so to speak.

That, of course, explains how they were able to see SO MUCH of Chicago in such a short amount of time...all Fry's fantasy. Every bit of it. Ferris Bueller, his imaginary alter ego, his mirror image reversed, inspired him to achieve a life that could someday become the life of Ferris Bueller.

It's Fight Club before Fight Club, when you get right down to it. The scenes with Ferris' sister? His dominant ego trying to "catch him in the act of skipping" - his dominant ego arguing with him that "skipping school" (i.e. "embracing life without restraint") wasn't the "right" thing to do. As is Principle Rooney..."the man" (or maybe his Dad) trying to reel him in. Ferris' sister protecting him at the end from their "parents" was Frys dominant ego finally letting go and saying "Fuckin' go for it, dude!"

Next time you watch it, think about that. You'll watch that movie in a COMPLETELY different light every time thereafter.

Holy FUCK, Bob!

That's some deep shit!

That movie defined the cultural zeitgeist at the time...and now I will look at it in a whole different light!

hideyoursheep
08-07-2009, 07:05 AM
One of the greatest scenes in movie history! :lol:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NEZv0FUPtcc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NEZv0FUPtcc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Baby's On Fire
08-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Followed closely by:

"where are your hands"

"between two pillows"

"THOSE AREN'T PILLOWS!!!!"

ppg960
08-07-2009, 11:52 PM
The brat pack movies..... Ferris Bueller.....National Lampoon's Vacation. the John Candy flicks.... shit, those movies WERE the 80's.

I agree Ford. John Hughes really made the 80's what it was.
He had a huge influence on society because of his movies.
RIP

ace diamond
08-08-2009, 05:27 PM
new york (cbs)

the 1985 film "the breakfast club," directed by john hughes, became the quintessential coming of age film of its era. It starred, left to right, judd nelson, emelio estevez, ally sheedy, molly ringwald and anthony michael hall.

A spokeswoman for john hughes says the director of 1980s coming-of-age films like "sixteen candles" and "the breakfast club" has died in manhattan.

Michelle bega says the 59-year-old hughes died of a heart attack during a morning walk. He was in manhattan to visit family.

He made a teen star of molly ringwald with 1984's "sixteen candles" about a girl's nightmarish birthday on the eve of her sister's wedding.

Ringwald also starred in "the breakfast club," about a group of high school misfits during saturday detention, and "pretty in pink."

hughes also directed "ferris bueller's day off" and wrote "home alone." he lived in illinois and set many of his films in the chicago area.

Hughes' iconic coming-of-age work included such films as "the breakfast club," "sixteen candles" and "ferris bueller's day off." he also directed 1985's "weird sience," 1987's "planes, trains & automobiles," 1988's "she's having a baby," 1989's "uncle buck" and 1991's "curly sue."

(© 2009 cbs broadcasting inc. All rights reserved)

apparently from a heart attack. Personally, i thought he was much younger than 59 and that 'ferris bueller's day off' was the last movie he did that was worth seeing. Geesh, life is short.

what a way to find out i've lost my dad.

jhale667
08-08-2009, 05:56 PM

Consider:

That IS some deep shit right there! :D

Nitro Express
08-08-2009, 07:34 PM

The 80's were a unique and fun time. My high school and college years were in the 80's and I wouldn't trade those for anything today.

ace diamond
08-23-2009, 01:10 AM
ford, you forget, my real name is Sean Hughes. John Hughes is my father. that is a fact. it is on my birth certificate.