PDA

View Full Version : Supro Val Trol

WACF
08-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Any thoughts on this guitar?

I do not know the year...but I am thinking late '50's early 60's.

I found it in the father in laws garage...been sitting there for over 30 years he figures...he had a stroke years ago and barely remembers that guitar.

It needs knobs and a new pick guard...strings replaced and some decent paint.

I grabbed it because my daughter really wants an electric...and I really want to learn to play myself.

Been thinking about it for 20 years...it's time.

Is this a decent guitar to learn on?

indeedido
08-27-2009, 12:02 PM
does it look like this?

http://www.joeyace.com/Supro.htm

WACF
08-27-2009, 12:22 PM
No.

It is this model right here....but just imagine some rusty strings and a bad yellow paint job...and missing knobs.

The one we found also has a lower number in the 30,000's versus this one in the ad which is 59,876.

VINTAGE 1961 SUPRO SILVERWOOD VAL-TROL (EXTREMELY RARE) (http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=143477533&back=-8&ImageIndex=0)

another example...

http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-51882-SUPRO-SILVERWOOD-1961-NATIONAL-VALCO-3-PICKUP-VAL-TROL

Diamondjimi
08-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Sounds like ya got an interestin score there. Myself, I would try to find original parts that need replacing and don't mess with the original paint. Keep that guitar and buy your daughter a $100 Fender Squire Strat ! ;)

WACF
08-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Sounds like ya got an interestin score there. Myself, I would try to find original parts that need replacing and don't mess with the original paint. Keep that guitar and buy your daughter a $100 Fender Squire Strat ! ;)

The sad thing is the original paint has been messed with...a poor job on painting it yellow in fact.

The guitar feels nice though I tell ya.

Went to the local music store(Long and Mcquade) in hopes of finding a good lead on knobs..no luck.

I'll have to try and find some somewhere.

Diamondjimi
08-27-2009, 05:52 PM
The sad thing is the original paint has been messed with...a poor job on painting it yellow in fact.

The guitar feels nice though I tell ya.

Went to the local music store(Long and Mcquade) in hopes of finding a good lead on knobs..no luck.

I'll have to try and find some somewhere.

Yeah L&M can be pretty limited in their accessories. Throw up some pics.
So are you sure it's not the original paint?

I'd check Ebay for some parts...

WACF
08-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Yeah L&M can be pretty limited in their accessories. Throw up some pics.
So are you sure it's not the original paint?

I'd check Ebay for some parts...

Yeah...there are some paint runs...thin spots.
The pick guard has some artwork done to it with sparkle paint.
That is easy enough to fix at the very least.

The guy at L&M looked it up in their book too...it should of come blonde like one of the pictures I found of the net...the tech was thrilled to see it. He has not seen one since the late '60s.

I bombed out on the knobs on Ebay, Kijiji ect.

I did find one site though...$49/knob...seems a bit extreme when I need 6 little ones besides the main volume knob.

I will take some picks and put them up...the wife lent out the camera to her mother...so...next week hopefully.

indeedido
08-27-2009, 06:18 PM
From looking at those, that might be a hard one for a young gal to learn on. Be a lot easier on a $99 squire

WACF
08-27-2009, 06:31 PM
From looking at those, that might be a hard one for a young gal to learn on. Be a lot easier on a $99 squire

She is 15...but perhaps that is not a bad plan.

GAR
08-29-2009, 02:59 AM
That is the best plan! Ebay that thing off, you'll get $225 - 400.00 from somebody wanting to restore it back to the natural clear.

If you just want to use it asis, I would get a set chickenhead knobs from mojotone.com they're cheap enough.

My cost on that knob is like 55 cents but I dont' have any at the moment. Also try allparts.com they have a variety of knobs sets available.

Diamondjimi
08-29-2009, 12:27 PM
My cost on that knob is like 55 cents but I dont' have any at the moment.

Now, is that your cost on imaginary knobs or is that your imaginary cost on real knobs?

Igosplut
08-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Now, is that your cost on imaginary knobs or is that your imaginary cost on real knobs?

Shit, that was funny..

GAR
08-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Shit, that was funny..

I bet you know at least 1 recipe for making toast.

kwame k
08-29-2009, 04:52 PM

Nicely played sir!

It's almost like a compulsive behavioral disorder with the little fella isn't it.......he has to try and show how much more he's knows than the rest of us regardless of what the topic in Gear Street is.:barf:

Igosplut
08-29-2009, 07:12 PM
I bet you know at least 1 recipe for making toast.

Out of cowards like you.... easy....

Diamondjimi
08-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Nicely played sir!

It's almost like a compulsive behavioral disorder with the little fella isn't it.......he has to try and show how much more he's knows than the rest of us regardless of what the topic in Gear Street is.:barf:

Yup, pretty much. Verbal diarrhea...

1. Verbal Diarrhea
A condition suffered by an individual who has the inablility to shut the fuck up, I.e the words keep flowing.

2. Verbal diarrhea
A serious disease which, once it has control of a person, causes them to spew forth incoherent babble from the bowels of the voicebox. Often extremely frustrating for the victim and extremely hilarious for the observer.

3. Verbal Diarrhea
1)An adj. given to someone who exspresses their awkwardness through words.

2)Used to describe a person who can not control his random thoughts from exploding, which get them into trouble.

Link... (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=verbal+diarrhea)

GAR
08-30-2009, 08:46 PM
If WACF sells this thing, he could buy 1 MIM strat for himself, and 1 brand-new Indonesian Squier strat for the kid - let her choose the color even because Labor Day weekend Guitar Center is having their annual blowout sale - and for these, they usually overstock on the Squiers because they blow em out cheap. But if you go get up early because you want your pick and not the leftovers because everybody's gonna go in there having saved all summer for the day.

I have spent time stripping, sanding, coating and buffing mediocre, lesser-quality / lesser-demand vintage guitars like this and I have to say its just not worth the time doing it.

Take your profit from a quick ebay or amazon sale, pick out something cool with no paint or electical or hardware issues, and enjoy a lifetime of learning a decent beginners instrument for the each of you.

WACF
08-31-2009, 12:48 PM
That is the best plan! Ebay that thing off, you'll get $225 - 400.00 from somebody wanting to restore it back to the natural clear.

If you just want to use it asis, I would get a set chickenhead knobs from mojotone.com they're cheap enough.

My cost on that knob is like 55 cents but I dont' have any at the moment. Also try allparts.com they have a variety of knobs sets available.

Seeing as how it was the father in-laws...we will be keeping it.
It is a cool looking guitar IMO...the three pickups are live...so I think there is potential there.

Thanks for the links...Looks like I should find something for sure.

I have a couple more places to check out here too...but it seems doubtful.

I will be taking the daughter down to look at some Squiers...she handles her acoustic quite well...so I may as well let her try some out.

I will see what works best for me.

I have tried on her acoustic and quite frankly...my fingers just do not bend that way yet.

Hopefully it comes...

jackassrock
08-31-2009, 05:09 PM
It will. I've been playing the guitar since about 1986, and I'm definitely still learning.

GAR
09-01-2009, 05:04 AM
I play.. the radio!

Diamondjimi
09-01-2009, 03:33 PM
I play the meatwhistle!

You are a virtuoso!