PDA

View Full Version : Oasis is finished!

Diamondjimi
08-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Noel Gallagher quits Oasis after Paris 'altercation'

08/28/2009 NME.com

Courtesy of NME.com - Guitarist walks after gig cancellation

Noel Gallagher quit Oasis tonight (August 28).

Following the Manchester band's cancelled show at the Paris Rock en Seine festival this evening, he posted the following statement on Oasisinet.com.

"It's with some sadness and great relief to tell you that I quit Oasis tonight," he wrote. "People will write and say what they like, but I simply could not go on working with [singer, his brother] Liam a day longer."

The band pulled out of the Paris show just before they were due on stage, with organizers allegedly displaying a message explaining an "altercation" had caused the cancellation.

Link (http://ca.music.yahoo.com/read/news/61993357)

chefcraig
08-30-2009, 12:13 PM
In order for Americans to be surprised that Oasis had broken up, wouldn't we first have to be aware that they were still together in the first place? http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-confused-smileys-718.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Sign-Smileys/)

yah
08-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Looks like a solo record is due for Noel; I'm interested enough to listen to at least one or two songs when they come out.
Wonder if it will still sound like the Beatles??

FORD
08-30-2009, 03:09 PM
I only ever really heard one of their albums (the one with "Wonderwall" on it) it was alright for mid 90's BritPop. Obviously Beatle influenced. When Liam didn't even bother to show up for their MTV unplugged episode back then, and Noel did fine without him, I figured their days as a band were extremely short back then, and indeed I am surprised to hear they were still around.

Bands with brothers in them seem to fall into one of two camps.... they either hate each other (The Kinks & Oasis) or hate everyone else in the band (Eddie & Alex)

yah
08-30-2009, 03:26 PM
I think Noel's future songs will be good without Liam, though Liam has a good trashy rock voice for a lot of Oasis songs they released in the past.
Rock and Roll Star and Do You Know What I Mean come to mind.

Nickdfresh
08-30-2009, 04:06 PM
I haven't listened to them as much lately, but I consider myself a fan of Oasis and loved them in the 90s. But yeah, they went from being on the cusp of super-stardom to being another big name band that couldn't quite turn it up to 11 to get them over the cliff...

It's too bad though; their guitar driven songs are just great rock and roll whatever you want to call it stylistically. But they've effectively have been on and off again for a decade, so this isn't really big news. Still kind of sad though, I was hoping they'd sort of mount a comeback and show some of these Emo-pansies how it's done...

BITEYOASS
08-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Good for him! Fuckin Liam always has to have subtitles on the screen during interviews, even though he's speaking english. Or he might be speaking pikey for all we know.

Kristy
08-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Defined all that 90's supercilious-labeled "Britpop" (e.g. Suede, Blur, Pulp) with the most American commercial success that went to their heads and never left; bloated, over-paid, over-rated with lack of ideas. This isn't news. Oasis broke up back in 2001 and have been recording corporate contract albums ever since. Chances are their label dropped them after 15 years with a less than handful of singles. Noel is not John Lennon, Paul Weller or even Damon Albarn no matter how much he parades himself off to be so if he barks off on a solo career it'll be just that - him without his drunken, mic-hugging, monotonous-singing brother. In other words, Oasis recording without the Oasis name.

Mr. Vengeance
08-30-2009, 05:05 PM
They sucked all along.

Isn't this the 50th time they've broken up just before a gig?

They break up more than the WHO have farewell tours.....

hideyoursheep
08-30-2009, 08:52 PM
Oasis?

Never heard of them.

I hear The Mighty Bosstones are planning a comeback?

:smoke:

thome
08-30-2009, 09:40 PM
Kristy:...... Defined all that 90's supercilious-labeled "Britpop" (e.g. Suede, Blur, Pulp) with the most American commercial success that went to their heads and never left; bloated, over-paid, over-rated with lack of ideas. This isn't news. Oasis broke up back in 2001 and have been recording corporate contract albums ever since. Chances are their label dropped them after 15 years with a less than handful of singles. Noel is not John Lennon, Paul Weller or even Damon Albarn no matter how much he parades himself off to be so if he barks off on a solo career it'll be just that - him without his drunken, mic-hugging, monotonous-singing brother. In other words, Oasis recording without the Oasis name.

I wish I could write like that.

All coherent and thinkie..like, words that string together and have meaning, easily understood by the reader.
\
The lameness is apparent to even the douchiest twit, ( evidently not),

who labeled themselves with the, I get it you don't Oasis drooling slack.

Outstanding post.

ppg960
08-31-2009, 12:33 AM
No loss really.
When was the last time they produced anything worth a spin??:hitch:

Dan
08-31-2009, 12:46 AM
About Fucking Time.:D

Diamondjimi
08-31-2009, 12:54 AM
About Fucking Time.:D

No shit! ;)

Panamark
08-31-2009, 02:15 AM
Self admitted Beatles rippoffs who flogged too many dead horses.
Really nice blokes too, how many fans did that fucker punch in
the face for asking for an autograph ? A day for celebration I reckon ! :)

Time for another Beatles Clone, Brits !

Golden AWe
08-31-2009, 02:28 AM
They had some good songs I liked, but never a huge fan. Did see them play a festival back in 2000 though.

GreenBayLA
08-31-2009, 04:38 AM
??? Never liked that whiny Britpop slop.

hideyoursheep
08-31-2009, 06:03 AM
Other than Alice In Chains, Oasis was the band in the '90s that compelled me to run to the record store .

That's odd...they were one of the '90's bands that made me run from the record store...;)

Panamark
08-31-2009, 08:53 AM
Actually, in all seriousness, I thought these dudes were already gone ?

No more Blur either, time for more Brit Beatles ripoffs definately.

And the next one is................................................ ???

Wait five minutes, it will be here...

Golden AWe
08-31-2009, 10:18 AM
Actually, in all seriousness, I thought these dudes were already gone ?

No more Blur either, time for more Brit Beatles ripoffs definately.

Actually I think Blur is headed for a comeback. I recently read about the band's career phases and the battle of the nerds in the band sounded fookin' funny. I mean, looks aren't everything, but f.e. Dave and Eddie having differences sounds way more cuntvincing than two small 50 kg goggle-eyes and their "inner battles" and "studio fights". Fookin' wieners.

The best Brit-Pop/rock band? SUPERGRASS. Now there's a magnificent band that still makes grate music. With tongue in the cheek. The Van Halen of 90's/00's brit pop.

ThrillsNSpills
08-31-2009, 10:38 AM
well Sominex's stock has just gone up.

FORD
08-31-2009, 02:59 PM
I wonder if Sally's still waiting........

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r8OipmKFDeM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r8OipmKFDeM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Golden AWe
08-31-2009, 03:11 PM
I wonder if Sally's still waiting........

Everybody, check out this SMASHING classic Hale and Pace-parody of Oasis..."Oaday"

"Don't talk back you wanker...I heard him say..."

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yjbumn5rjqw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yjbumn5rjqw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"Yeah...John Lennon was ahead of his time...he stole our songs 30 years in advance"

Master Yoda
08-31-2009, 03:29 PM
Shit, Oasis are. To your mother, word.

lesfunk
08-31-2009, 04:17 PM
The only lyrics that are more meaningless than Noel's are hagar's. oasis had a few catchy tunes though. I saw them in 1996. They sucked.

Golden AWe
08-31-2009, 04:23 PM
The only lyrics that are more meaningless than Noel's are hagar's. oasis had a few catchy tunes though. I saw them in 1996. They sucked.

"My brother Noel having a ball, not so much a Noel he's a bloody know-all.
We're going down oh what a pity, just the same as Manchester City"
"Noel Gallagher's great, but Liam's irate.. he don't like what I say.
He punched me in the face, Don't talk back you wanker.. I heard him say!"

degüello
08-31-2009, 04:49 PM
Always got a kick out of their interviews, some good laughs.

The Elfoid_TFS
08-31-2009, 07:17 PM
Ah, Oasis were a British institution and a reliable part of our culture to lean back on. One of the few interesting groups to emerge from the 90s. Big fan, me, but I only got into them a year ago - I was 8 when they ended the BritPop era with Be Here Now so I missed out on the Oasismania thing and it took me a while to come around to them.

Very, very good band with two very good lead vocalists (for those of you who haven't followed the band in recent years, Noel became a far more prominent singer within the band).

And while all their music retained that huge Beatles influence, their big hit Morning Glory? definitely carried more of The Beatles sound than anything else they did. 2005's Don't Believe The Truth was probably the nearest they came to doing an album of rip-offs but it picked from a greater multitude of sources than just The Beatles.

===

It's quite amazing how many of you are unaware Oasis didn't still exist when their album last year hit number 5 in the US charts and a single hit number 12 in the modern rock charts. I mean, a band don't do that if no one's listening right? Their power to dominate the British singles charts was very impressive in this modern era where nothing's fashionable for more than ten seconds. They weren't what they were, but managed to be a huge presence for 15 years.

A few facts:

60 million album sales.

They were embarking on an absolutely huge tour just recently, which set the record for most British tickets sold in one day by a band (500, 000, for their stadium leg). Total UK shows this tour: 19 UK arenas on the 2008 leg, and 9 stadiums, 2 arenas, 1 theatre and 2 festivals on the 2009 leg (sickness meant a cancellation of one festival). Their last major UK tours were 2006 and 2005 so it's not as if this was the first tours in ages.

Their albums consistently sold a lot and charted highly in the UK and globally, they just felt the death of Britpop more in America than anywhere else. Worldwide sales, UK chart positions and certifications:
1994: Definitely Maybe (7.5 million) - UK 7x Plat, #1
1995: (What's the Story) Morning Glory? (19.5 million) - UK 12x Plat, #1
1997: Be Here Now (7 million) - UK 6x Plat, #1
1998: The Masterplan (b-sides compilation, 1.5 million) - UK Plat, #2
2000: Standing on the Shoulders of Giants (3 million) - UK 2x Plat, #1
2000: Familiar to Millions (live double, 1 million) - UK Plat, #5
2002: Heathen Chemistry (4 million) - UK 3x Plat, #1
2005: Don't Believe the Truth (3.5 million) - UK 3x Plat, #1
2006: Stop The Clocks (double hits set, 2.5 million) - UK 4x Plat, #2
2008: Dig Out Your Soul (2.5 million) - UK 3x Plat, #1

What was truly shocking was their British singles chart run though:
1994: 31, 11, 10, 7, 3 (1 Gold, 3 Silver)
1995: 1, 2, 2 (1 Platinum, 2 Gold)
1996: 1 (1 Platinum)
1997: 1, 2 (1 Platinum, 1 Gold)
1998: 1 (1 Silver)

2000: 1, 4, 4 (1 Silver)

2002: 1, 2, 2 (1 Silver)
2003: 3

2005: 1, 1, 2

2007: 10
2008: 3, 12
2009: 10

Late 94 - Late 08, all 22 singles they put out in a row hit the top 20. 18 of those made the top 5, with 8 hitting number one - including the lead single from the first six studio albums.

Maybe now it makes sense why it's a big deal to us, even if you guys won't bat an eyelid :)

Actually I think Blur is headed for a comeback. I recently read about the band's career phases and the battle of the nerds in the band sounded fookin' funny. I mean, looks aren't everything, but f.e. Dave and Eddie having differences sounds way more cuntvincing than two small 50 kg goggle-eyes and their "inner battles" and "studio fights". Fookin' wieners.

They did a few smaller shows to warm-up culminating with an arena, then a coupla big shows at Hyde Park....the first one sold out in 2 minutes. Then Glastonbury, Oxygen 2009, T In The Park. They're now actively discussing if they'll maintain their reunion.
http://blur.sandbag.uk.com/Store/DisplayItems-1-0-0.html - they're presently organising double albums for each Hyde Park gig. They put out a new hits set (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midlife:_A_Beginner&#37;27s_Guide_to_Blur) to coincide too.

The Elfoid_TFS
08-31-2009, 09:39 PM
Dang this thing's inability to edit, two singles in 2002 were Silver, not one...anyway, you get my point....within the bubble of the UK they remained huge and weren't just a 90s fad

Nickdfresh
08-31-2009, 10:37 PM
??? Never liked that whiny Britpop slop.

Um, they were far from "whiny" and were far more blues rockabilly based than 'Britplop.'

------------------

And the whole "Beatles-rip off" thing is vastly overstated. When I hear "Wonderwall," perhaps one of the top ten songs of the 1990s, I hear nothing even close to a Beatles song stylistically...

Grant
09-01-2009, 04:34 AM
Shame, I was looking forward to their latest tour. I think (and hope) Noel will get back with the group. Bloody hell, after all these years of in-band fighting (not to mention being attacked by Liam with tamborines, as well as being publicly booed on MTV Unplugged) why all of sudden now? If anything though this whole incident will probably inspire him to bring out some more emotionally-charged songs like 'Talk Tonight', 'It's Good To Be Free', and 'Half The World Away' which he done after the first "break-up" in 1994 on the American tour.

I haven't listened to them as much lately, but I consider myself a fan of Oasis and loved them in the 90s.

If you haven't checked out their latest album, Dig Out Your Soul, I totally recommend it. IMO, is their best work since What's The Story.... The highlights are 'Falling Down', 'The Turning', 'The Shock Of The Lightning', and the ballad (written by Liam) 'I'm Outta Time' which features a haunting snippet of John Lennon's last radio interview with the BBC's Andy Peebles.

hideyoursheep
09-01-2009, 06:25 AM
Awww. It's all right. It just means we wouldn't have run into each other in the "O" section of the record store, but we'd have met in the "D" section ("D" for Down and Danzig). ;)

We'd have met in the D section, and I would have followed you to the O section.:biggrin:

Master Yoda
09-01-2009, 07:22 AM
Ah, Oasis were a British institution and a reliable part of our culture to lean back on. One of the few interesting groups to emerge from the 90s. Big fan, me, but I only got into them a year ago - I was 8 when they ended the BritPop era with Be Here Now so I missed out on the Oasismania thing and it took me a while to come around to them.

Very, very good band with two very good lead vocalists (for those of you who haven't followed the band in recent years, Noel became a far more prominent singer within the band).

And while all their music retained that huge Beatles influence, their big hit Morning Glory? definitely carried more of The Beatles sound than anything else they did. 2005's Don't Believe The Truth was probably the nearest they came to doing an album of rip-offs but it picked from a greater multitude of sources than just The Beatles.

===

It's quite amazing how many of you are unaware Oasis didn't still exist when their album last year hit number 5 in the US charts and a single hit number 12 in the modern rock charts. I mean, a band don't do that if no one's listening right? Their power to dominate the British singles charts was very impressive in this modern era where nothing's fashionable for more than ten seconds. They weren't what they were, but managed to be a huge presence for 15 years.

A few facts:

60 million album sales.

They were embarking on an absolutely huge tour just recently, which set the record for most British tickets sold in one day by a band (500, 000, for their stadium leg). Total UK shows this tour: 19 UK arenas on the 2008 leg, and 9 stadiums, 2 arenas, 1 theatre and 2 festivals on the 2009 leg (sickness meant a cancellation of one festival). Their last major UK tours were 2006 and 2005 so it's not as if this was the first tours in ages.

Their albums consistently sold a lot and charted highly in the UK and globally, they just felt the death of Britpop more in America than anywhere else. Worldwide sales, UK chart positions and certifications:
1994: Definitely Maybe (7.5 million) - UK 7x Plat, #1
1995: (What's the Story) Morning Glory? (19.5 million) - UK 12x Plat, #1
1997: Be Here Now (7 million) - UK 6x Plat, #1
1998: The Masterplan (b-sides compilation, 1.5 million) - UK Plat, #2
2000: Standing on the Shoulders of Giants (3 million) - UK 2x Plat, #1
2000: Familiar to Millions (live double, 1 million) - UK Plat, #5
2002: Heathen Chemistry (4 million) - UK 3x Plat, #1
2005: Don't Believe the Truth (3.5 million) - UK 3x Plat, #1
2006: Stop The Clocks (double hits set, 2.5 million) - UK 4x Plat, #2
2008: Dig Out Your Soul (2.5 million) - UK 3x Plat, #1

What was truly shocking was their British singles chart run though:
1994: 31, 11, 10, 7, 3 (1 Gold, 3 Silver)
1995: 1, 2, 2 (1 Platinum, 2 Gold)
1996: 1 (1 Platinum)
1997: 1, 2 (1 Platinum, 1 Gold)
1998: 1 (1 Silver)

2000: 1, 4, 4 (1 Silver)

2002: 1, 2, 2 (1 Silver)
2003: 3

2005: 1, 1, 2

2007: 10
2008: 3, 12
2009: 10

Late 94 - Late 08, all 22 singles they put out in a row hit the top 20. 18 of those made the top 5, with 8 hitting number one - including the lead single from the first six studio albums.

Maybe now it makes sense why it's a big deal to us, even if you guys won't bat an eyelid :)

They did a few smaller shows to warm-up culminating with an arena, then a coupla big shows at Hyde Park....the first one sold out in 2 minutes. Then Glastonbury, Oxygen 2009, T In The Park. They're now actively discussing if they'll maintain their reunion.
Blur Store (http://blur.sandbag.uk.com/Store/DisplayItems-1-0-0.html) - they're presently organising double albums for each Hyde Park gig. They put out a new hits set (Midlife: A Beginner's Guide to Blur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midlife:_A_Beginner%27s_Guide_to_Blur)) to coincide too.

Many facts there, fact boy padawan. Still shitty, it is.

Master Yoda
09-01-2009, 07:25 AM
more blues rockabilly

------------------

"Wonderwall," perhaps one of the top ten songs of the 1990s

For real are you? Move to Manchester UK you must, limey wannabe.

Nickdfresh
09-01-2009, 08:35 AM
For real are you? Move to Manchester UK you must, limey wannabe.

Right, from the one that leeches onto the Brit humour&#174; of the Dump™, oh Master Yankoff. Get fucked and go listen to your Van Hagar.

The Elfoid_TFS
09-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Many facts there, fact boy padawan. Still shitty, it is.

I wasn't commenting on their quality. Just their impact and integral role in the fabric of British culture and now strange it is to find out you guys really were surprised, a lot of you, to know they still exist. Just like it probably surprises you to know that Van Halen only reached the UK top ten album charts on one occasion (Balance hit number 8).

Golden AWe
09-02-2009, 05:24 AM
I love this version of "Live Forever." And how about the pic of little brother listening to big brother play guitar? Such a lovely harmonious sight.

In this case the song should be called "Fight Forever"...

Master Yoda
09-02-2009, 06:09 AM
Just like it probably surprises you to know that Van Halen only reached the UK top ten album charts on one occasion (Balance hit number 8).

Really?? Surprised I am! Absolutely blown away! Don't stop, grand master of wiki editing, tell me more. But careful when springing something like that on me, you should!

Note that nugget of information down I should. Balance... number 8... UK charts... got it!

binnie
09-02-2009, 07:49 AM
When I was at school 'Brit Pop' was in full swing and everyone, I mean EVERYONE, loved Oasis. Except me.

Maybe it's because I got into music at an early age, but all I heard was re-hashed Stones and Beatles ideas. Good, but certainly not approaching great. So, everyone was obsessed with 'Wonderwall' and I was much more interested in Sepultura's 'Roots'.

At least Blur did something close to original. And Pulp were more fun. But Oasis can still sell out stadiums here in a matter of minutes.

'Definitately Maybe' and 'What's The Story Morning Glory' are good rock n roll albums that ooze with attitude. But after that it was all downhill...

The Elfoid_TFS
09-02-2009, 08:50 AM
When I was at school 'Brit Pop' was in full swing and everyone, I mean EVERYONE, loved Oasis. Except me.

Maybe it's because I got into music at an early age, but all I heard was re-hashed Stones and Beatles ideas. Good, but certainly not approaching great. So, everyone was obsessed with 'Wonderwall' and I was much more interested in Sepultura's 'Roots'.

At least Blur did something close to original. And Pulp were more fun. But Oasis can still sell out stadiums here in a matter of minutes.

'Definitately Maybe' and 'What's The Story Morning Glory' are good rock n roll albums that ooze with attitude. But after that it was all downhill...

I did similar to you I guess...I kinda sat out the music scene. I was raised on The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, jazz and world music but never really listened to it because it's hard to appreciate music when your parents rarely play the same song twice - and it was predominantly jazz, which I still don't like. They name dropped the Stones and Beatles more than they listened to them, really.

And the stuff that people put on in school or radio did nothing for me. Somehow though, I didn't discover what I did like until ages later. I was 14, 15 maybe....friend won tickets in Kerrrang! to see Iron Maiden on their "Gimme 'Ed 'Till I'm Dead Tour" in 2003 and he introduced me to them. Started renting albums from the library and ripping them, then bought some in a store which had a great 2 for £10 deal on all the good stuff....after buying all of Maiden's discography I got into Def Leppard and Whitesnake. I think it was AC/DC after that, then Judas Priest.

Most of my peers either got into 'real' music dead early, or listened to crappy music then slowly worked their way into it - like a lot of guys I know who listen to classic rock and metal now started out with Linkin Park a few years back and then got into metalcore like Atreyu and Killswitch Engage, and they just ended up working backwards until they found themselves at classic rock or 80s/early 90s metal. I just seemed to sit around waiting for it to come along, never had a "shameful childhood tunes" stage.

I'm a child of the Spice Girls generation :(

degüello
09-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Um, they were far from "whiny" and were far more blues rockabilly based...

LOL! That's a stretch. :D

Grant
09-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Maybe it's because I got into music at an early age, but all I heard was re-hashed Stones and Beatles ideas.

Indeed. :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_x4IrKASQ4s&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_x4IrKASQ4s&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Diamondjimi
09-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Yup. Oasis ,posterchildren of the industry hype machine... Borrrrrring......:indifferent0020:

Kristy
09-02-2009, 10:47 PM
...and it was predominantly jazz, which I still don't like...

I have yet to meet a limey that actually does like jazz. No wonder how groups like the Spice Girls flourish in that country.

The Elfoid_TFS
09-03-2009, 08:23 AM
I have yet to meet a limey that actually does like jazz. No wonder how groups like the Spice Girls flourish in that country.

I have a lot of friends who like jazz. My friend Becca noodles away on her sax/piano/guitar (she's a very talented young lady) to jazz all the time. My school had a jazz band that had one guy who really knew his stuff too, always went down well when they performed.

I'd say I know a fair few jazz fans my own age and a number of older ones. I often get into "jazz vs blues" arguments with them, because I view blues as far superior. But my love of blues means I have met enough jazz fans to know they exist!

I don't hate jazz, I just like blues a lot more. And I kinda got knowledge of the blues world from rock music - artists like the Stones and Clapton namechecking blues guys and all that. It's kinda within my "sphere of knowledge" (which Britpop and Grunge and nu-metal only really entered about a year ago, because I'm still predominantly all about the 60s-80s in my interests), wheras Jazz is uncharted....a continent without a map. Somewhat unsure where to begin.

Kristy
09-03-2009, 12:17 PM
I don't hate jazz, I just like blues a lot more. And I kinda got knowledge of the blues world from rock music - artists like the Stones and Clapton namechecking blues guys and all that. It's kinda within my "sphere of knowledge" (which Britpop and Grunge and nu-metal only really entered about a year ago, because I'm still predominantly all about the 60s-80s in my interests), wheras Jazz is uncharted....a continent without a map. Somewhat unsure where to begin.

Jazz uncharted? Where do you live? In a cave? A van down by the river? Jazz is largely an American phenomenon birthed from Dixieland brass (which came from American Civil War marching bands) to big band swing to east coast bop. In fact bop or hard bop grew out of the malevolent racism that was present throughout most of America's history in the early 20th Century. Play a Charlie Parker record sometime and tell me if that is "uncharted".

And while predictable, it's sad that your knowledge of blues artist come out of the Clapton/Stones page. You can make for a solid argument that most of blues genesis (i.e., the basic polyrhythms) stem from African roots but all that 12-bar shuffle is largely an American tradition tribute to people like Freddie King or Lighting Hopkins who developed their playing ideas from listening to trains strike rail joints or listening to the way people walked (hence the term "blues shuffle"). Much like jazz, American blues grew out of different areas of the country from the Delta (i.e., Charlie Patton) to Chicago (i.e., Muddy Waters) to Texas (i.e., T-Bone Walker). Clapton, yeah, I'll say the guy is talented but is also a douchebag who blatantly stole from people like Freddie King (and don't get started on rock's biggest plagiarist Jimmy Page) although his playing on Mayall's first Blues Breaker Album is outstanding.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/cf/e6/8b6e024128a034ce4c960110.L._AA240_.jpg

Gimmie me Freddie playing 'Hideaway' over Clapton any day.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rbqtnNorgQA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rbqtnNorgQA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Master Yoda
09-03-2009, 01:29 PM
True, this much is. Limey loves shitty indie music with annoying jangly strumming. To see Oasis and other shit sucking mop haired assholes stick to their side of the pond, bring warm feelings to my heart it does. Hmmpph.

Anonymous
09-03-2009, 01:48 PM
And while predictable, it's sad that your knowledge of blues artist come out of the Clapton/Stones page. You can make for a solid argument that most of blues genesis (i.e., the basic polyrhythms) stem from African roots but all that 12-bar shuffle is largely an American tradition tribute to people like Freddie King or Lighting Hopkins who developed their playing ideas from listening to trains strike rail joints or listening to the way people walked (hence the term "blues shuffle"). Much like jazz, American blues grew out of different areas of the country from the Delta (i.e., Charlie Patton) to Chicago (i.e., Muddy Waters) to Texas (i.e., T-Bone Walker). Clapton, yeah, I'll say the guy is talented but is also a douchebag who blatantly stole from people like Freddie King (and don't get started on rock's biggest plagiarist Jimmy Page) although his playing on Mayall's first Blues Breaker Album is outstanding.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/cf/e6/8b6e024128a034ce4c960110.L._AA240_.jpg

Gimmie me Freddie playing 'Hideaway' over Clapton any day.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rbqtnNorgQA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rbqtnNorgQA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Er... Kristy... sorry, babe, but you should realize that the British listened to REAL blues long before the white american ever did. In fact, all the names you quoted were somewhat big in Britain, and influenced many people, like Eric Clapton, to play the blues, who then went to the US to do their thing and became quite successful over there.

The best thing is, the American audience would listen to these guys, but NOT their own bluesmen. You know, 'coz they were black...

It seems that most Americans, due to racism, were ignoring what was going on musically in their country at the time, while the British were learning from it, and then going to the US to play American music to Americans who wouldn't've heard it otherwise.

It wasn't until afterwards that you guys realized where Clapton & the Stones & many others were getting their stuff from...

Other than that, I agree. Blues is more American than African, and gimme some John Lee Hooker, Lightnin' Hopkins, Howlin' Wolf, etc. over anything else, but I wouldn't be snob about it. Clapton is VERY good when he plays the blues, the real thing. So is John Mayall, etc. And you have them to thank.

Cheers! :bottle:

Kristy
09-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Er... Kristy... sorry, babe, but you should realize that the British listened to REAL blues long before the white american ever did. In fact, all the names you quoted were somewhat big in Britain, and influenced many people, like Eric Clapton, to play the blues, who then went to the US to do their thing and became quite successful over there.

Ah, the limey myth that they are (somehow) responsible for the blues. I won't argue or counterpoint a single word of your myth. Instead, I'll laugh at it.

The Elfoid_TFS
09-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Jazz uncharted? Where do you live? In a cave? A van down by the river? Jazz is largely an American phenomenon birthed from Dixieland brass (which came from American Civil War marching bands) to big band swing to east coast bop. In fact bop or hard bop grew out of the malevolent racism that was present throughout most of America's history in the early 20th Century. Play a Charlie Parker record sometime and tell me if that is "uncharted".

I mean it's uncharted to me as in, I have heard a million and one "big names" and how the hell am I meant to know where to start, you know? It's totally out of my comfort zone of knowledge.

Clapton "blatantly" stole from people he credited as huge influences and tended to cover both on album and in concert. There's few artists he took influence from that he didn't namecheck. Led Zeppelin....Page drastically changed the sound of anything he took as a starting point for a song, any plagiarism really lies in the hands of Robert Plant not changing the lyrics. Page would use a traditional standard as a starting point and let it evolve into something all of his own, and while Plant made his mark on the songs he didn't change the lyrics enough but even he made enough changes that I'd say it's unfair to claim he wasn't the main creative voice coming out of the music he sang. (See http://www.iem.ac.ru/zeppelin/docs/interviews/page_77.trp)

Clapton and the Stones and big heavy blues rock bands were my gateway to the blues because they namechecked a lot of artists and did a lot of covers. I am well versed in blues. One of my best purchases ever was my "Ultimate Blues Collection" which features [checks back of box] a 16 track John Lee Hooker album, a 10 track B.B. King album, a 21 track Lightnin' Hopkins album, an 11 track Muddy Waters album, a 20 track Leadbelly album, a 9 track Howlin' Wolf album, a 21 track Mississippi John Hurt album, a 29 track Robert Johnson album, a 22 track Bill Broonzy album and a 22 track Bessie Smith album. Some are hits sets, some are live records. I went on and bought the Robert Johnson set and "His Greatest Hits" by B.B. King as well as a bunch of Howlin' Wolf stuff.

My friend Bruce is very into his blues...all he listens to is old blues, Black Sabbath, doom metal and Roth-era Van Halen but 90% of his listening material is blues. He'd not let me get away with just pretending I know this stuff!

Here he is covering Robert Johnson:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-S6_FXFga2U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-S6_FXFga2U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

And just to make a point that British blues artists can meld in perfectly with the old school of black American "authentic" blues artists that you seem to think they rip-off so badly:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/724c8pQ9bRo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/724c8pQ9bRo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yeah. The Rolling Stones were recording an album in the USA and met I think it was Muddy Waters (don't quote me, it was someone hugely influential like that) painting their recording studio because he had no money at all and no one wanted to hear him in that country. He wasn't getting royalties from their covers at that point. Without Clapton, Beck, Page and Jagger/Richards making those artists famous they almost certainly wouldn't have released a large portion of the classic works that they did.

Other than that, I agree. Blues is more American than African, and gimme some John Lee Hooker, Lightnin' Hopkins, Howlin' Wolf, etc. over anything else, but I wouldn't be snob about it. Clapton is VERY good when he plays the blues, the real thing. So is John Mayall, etc. And you have them to thank.

Yeah, Clapton's done some stellar stuff. People tend to forget that post-Hendrix he was completely turned off being a guitar hero and focussed much more on being a singer-songwriter, and the novelty of his voice now being as important to the masses as his guitar playing....if you go back to his Yardbirds, Bluesbreakers and Cream material it's incredible and the latter two he is remembered for for a reason. He's done some brilliant things since, sporadically.

True, this much is. Limey loves shitty indie music with annoying jangly strumming. To see Oasis and other shit sucking mop haired assholes stick to their side of the pond, bring warm feelings to my heart it does. Hmmpph.

"loves". I'd say I love Oasis, but that's it for BritPop, which doesn't sound the same as indie. I'm a heavy metal kid who listens to classic rock, heavy blues rock, glam metal, NWOBHM and thrash more than anything else. You silly little Goblin.

Anonymous
09-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Ah, the limey myth that they are (somehow) responsible for the blues. I won't argue or counterpoint a single word of your myth. Instead, I'll laugh at it.

I never said they were responsible for the blues. The blues were already there. All they did was perform them to the racist americans of that time.

Oh, you want something to laff at, do you? Well, I'll give you something to laff at:

There was this friend of mine, who was feeling that his marriage was rather... monotonous, and he wanted to spice it up. However, his wife is quite conservative and fixed in the old ways, so he didn't know how to approach her for a bit of backside love. But he's a genious, he is. Here's what he did - he got himself a Napoleon bust and glued it to the ceiling. Sure enough, when his wife got home, she spotted the bust and shouted "L---! There's a bust on the ceiling!" "Yeah, yeah, sure it is", he said, coming out of the bedroom with only his boxer shorts on "you just want me to f*ck you in the arse."

True story.

Kristy
09-04-2009, 03:39 PM
I never said they were responsible for the blues. The blues were already there. All they did was perform them to the racist americans of that time.

More of the limey myth personified.

Anonymous
09-04-2009, 03:51 PM
That may be. The only access I have to stuff from that time is from documentaries, books & stuff. I wasn't there, obviously, so I cannot state for certain that it's the way it really happened. But it's what I've gathered/understood. I may be wrong.

However, if you know otherwise, I'd appreciate if you'd expand on your points of view. Simply denying one thing without backing that denial up with another point of view doesn't exactly amount to much. But hey... I may be wrong.

Kristy
09-04-2009, 04:24 PM
I will say this about the limeys and the blues in that when many a blues artist traveled there they were actually PAID for their performances (well, under a live audience that is - until Jimmy Page ripped them off blind. Did I ever mention how much I hate that guy?)

Coyote
09-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Ah, the limey myth that they are (somehow) responsible for the blues.

Personally, I'd say the Brits are responsible for blues-rock.

Major difference, IMO.

Kristy
09-04-2009, 06:38 PM
If the Brits invented anything they can solely call their own, it was goth.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-11/1227628/bauhaus002_small.jpg

chefcraig
09-04-2009, 06:50 PM
If the Brits invented anything they can solely call their own, it was goth.

Nah, America's own Velvet Underground had been doing the pale, dark and mopey routine since 1966. ;)

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8706/98892124.jpg (http://img268.imageshack.us/i/98892124.jpg/)

Kristy
09-04-2009, 08:05 PM
VU was psychedelic rock. And they were nowhere gloomy enough to be considered goth.

chefcraig
09-04-2009, 08:24 PM
VU was psychedelic rock. And they were nowhere gloomy enough to be considered goth.

They sang about scoring drugs, heroin addiction, transvestites, destitution and a hopeless worldview that was anything but psychedelic. "Sister Ray", "Heroin" and "I'm Waiting For The Man" have nothing whatsoever to do with that San Fransisco crap, and if the subject matter isn't gloomy enough for ya, what can I say. This band invented the "heroin-chic" look and attitude that predated goth by nearly twenty years. And Lou Reed later put out some album covers that apparently did not go unnoticed by Robert Smith of The Cure.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QayI_q6AU9E&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QayI_q6AU9E&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5053/loug.jpg (http://img228.imageshack.us/i/loug.jpg/)

The Elfoid_TFS
09-04-2009, 08:34 PM
I will say this about the limeys and the blues in that when many a blues artist traveled there they were actually PAID for their performances (well, under a live audience that is - until Jimmy Page ripped them off blind. Did I ever mention how much I hate that guy?)

Are you aware that when some lawsuits about some of the artists Page was accused of plagiarising were settled, the original artists still didn't receive the money. That's why giving the credit was a waste of time - the money went to the label, not the original artist unless it was sales of their own recordings. Page not wanting to share money with a label he doesn't care about's fair game, the artists tended to get nothing out of it whether they won the lawsuit or not.

Panamark
09-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Ah the good old James Page rapes the Mississippi Delta debate again...

Personally I never got into those old rehashed blues numbers,
but I did like Led Zep's originals. Page's solo on the studio version
of Stairway is absolutely mind blowing. Show me the poor old
black cotton picker he ripped off when playin that, and you
will shatter my world.. YES I have heard the 2 bar samples of
other songs that sound similar to Stairway. But that final solo is
fookin ace..... The use of the pentatonic scales, unreal.
Wish I could put that much expression into 5 notes.

Delete all the "suspect" blues copies of Led Zep and I would
be happy... Their best music was their own.

binnie
09-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Wow, a lot of hate for the Brits in this thread:

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Kinks
The Who
David Bowie
The Small Faces
Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin
Joy Division
Iron Maiden
Pink Floyd
The Clash
Sex Pistols...........

We deserve to be hated for the Spice Girls though, but at least America has repaid the favour with Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson and Miley Cyrus......:D

Master Yoda
09-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Reading this thread, made me yearn for some lime juice it has. A couple of limes one of you limeys has?

Master Yoda
09-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Ah, the limey myth that ... your myth.

Insult the limeys by comparing them to Portugays, do not. Hmmmph.

Kristy
09-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Ah the good old James Page rapes the Mississippi Delta debate again...

Personally I never got into those old rehashed blues numbers,
but I did like Led Zep's originals. Page's solo on the studio version
of Stairway is absolutely mind blowing. Show me the poor old
black cotton picker he ripped off when playin that, and you
will shatter my world.. YES I have heard the 2 bar samples of
other songs that sound similar to Stairway. But that final solo is
fookin ace..... The use of the pentatonic scales, unreal.
Wish I could put that much expression into 5 notes.

Delete all the "suspect" blues copies of Led Zep and I would
be happy... Their best music was their own.

That's the trouble with Zep, Mark. THEIR MUSIC WASN'T THEIR OWN. At least not all of it.

Page stole from the band 'Spirit" (Taurus) for his inspiration on Stairway. Not every one of Page's (obvious) thefts resulted from Mississippi cotton pickers.

Anonymous
09-05-2009, 05:27 PM
We deserve to be hated for the Spice Girls though, but at least America has repaid the favour with Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson and Miley Cyrus......:D

Don't worry. Canada has Bryan Adams AND CELINE DION!

Noone can EVER beat that.

And by the way, Portugal had the original Spice Girls back in the 80's...

Anonymous
09-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Nah, America's own Velvet Underground had been doing the pale, dark and mopey routine since 1966. ;)

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8706/98892124.jpg (http://img268.imageshack.us/i/98892124.jpg/)

What, emos?

Fuck!

chefcraig
09-05-2009, 05:45 PM
What, emos?

Fuck!

Well...pale, dark and mopey, yet prone to slicing up other people with their switchblades, as opposed to themselves. ;)

The Elfoid_TFS
09-05-2009, 06:00 PM
That's the trouble with Zep, Mark. THEIR MUSIC WASN'T THEIR OWN. At least not all of it.

Like I said, the original artists for the blues material (where most of these issues sprang up from) wouldn't have received money if Page did credit them - just their labels. Would you rather labels who had nothing to do with it had gotten the money? I doubt it.

In those days, copyrighted material was dodgy ground. So many artists would perform their version of a traditional song then copyright it that the whole thing was considered impossible to control. Music's always been about feeding off and modifying previous work. That's why when Noel Gallagher got ripped off, he didn't sue - he just said it's part of how these things are done. Very few people genuinely re-invent music, they just put another spin on what they grew up with.

Page doesn't resent the fact that "Still Of The Night" is loaded with Zeppisms.

Page stole from the band 'Spirit" (Taurus) for his inspiration on Stairway. Not every one of Page's (obvious) thefts resulted from Mississippi cotton pickers.

"Taurus" is similar to Stairway. Yes. Very similar. But not similar enough that to deliver a songwriting credit to Spirit was fair. Page just thought "Oh, that sounds good. But if I do this, and I do that, and we add this kinda electric build near the end followed by a fast bit then a mammoth solo, and cut out the synths, and add a vocal line" and by then it barely sounded the same bar that one chord sequence.

I'll also point out Led Zeppelin have acknowledged and admitted to every accusation of plagiarism ever pointed at them. In the case of Spirit, Spirit acknowledge Zep were influenced by them and do not resent the band for it at all. Randy California's made it clear that it'd be nice if they'd thanked him, or shared some of their boatload of money, but he doesn't resent them for it. He spelt out that he thinks that'd be the fair and just thing to do, but at the same time he's aware that technically speaking it's not the same song and that it's not just his music reworked. He never desired to share a songwriting credit or get a percentage, and was perfectly ready to just let it go. Why don't you do the same instead of being angry on behalf of someone who wasn't angry in the first place?

Plus I'd say that's Zeppelin's biggest piece of plagiarism. That one is open to some debate and Page probably shoulda done something. But I'd say it's the only case where I think this, since most of the old blues ones got resolved.

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Kinks
The Who
David Bowie
The Small Faces
Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin
Joy Division
Iron Maiden
Pink Floyd
The Clash
Sex Pistols...........

Yeah, and I'd add Queen, Judas Priest, Def Leppard, The Buzzcocks, Genesis, The Jeff Beck Group, The Yardbirds, Cream, T-Rex, Van Morisson, The Spencer Davis Group, Wishbone Ash, Wings, Yes, Jethro Tull, Mott the Hoople, Deep Purple, The Darkness, The Police, The Specials, Madness, The Psychedelic Furs, The Pogues, The Cure, The Sisters Of Mercy, Stone Roses, Saxon, Motorhead, Whitesnake (yes I'm aware they became more an American band), Status Quo, Cathedral, Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride...and that's just the bands that have existed long enough to have had a lasting influence, excluding the current ones.

When you look at all that list, it makes me wonder exactly who the many anti-Brit posters on here think has produced the best music if not the UK. Even leaving out people from that list who went on to be huge solo successes (e.g. Paul McCartney, Ozzy Osbourne), I struggle to comprehend which nation they could possibly consider superior to the apparently inferior UK when it comes to music.

Presently I think the European metal scene's where it's at, but historically? The UK were at the forefront of things from the late 50s through mid 80s, and with the advent of Doom Metal and Britpop in the early 90s, pretty quickly took back that throne for the rest of the 90s too.

And all that will be proven soon. Mick Jagger is putting together a supergroup to perform at the opening ceremony to the 2012 Olympic Games. The Rolling Stones have signed on to perform and Jagger's in the process of expanding it. David Bowie, Jimmy Page, Van Morrison and Elton John are already significantly involved in it. A lot of other big names (Brian May, David Gilmour, Sting and suchlike) may well end up involved, but presently they're still figuring out how to make the whole thing work. Should be jaw dropping.

chefcraig
09-05-2009, 06:35 PM
When you look at all that list, it makes me wonder exactly who the many anti-Brit posters on here think has produced the best music if not the UK. Even leaving out people from that list who went on to be huge solo successes (e.g. Paul McCartney, Ozzy Osbourne), I struggle to comprehend which nation they could possibly consider superior to the apparently inferior UK when it comes to music.

binnie was being sarcastic, which obviously sailed right over your head. No one is being anti-British here. The rift started between two folks arguing who was responsible for the popularity of the blues in America. The answer being British blues-boom bands, who like the early Beatles merely adapted American music in their own form and threw it right back at them (the American audience).

Satan
09-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Didn't Ringo's kid actually play drums for Oasis for a while before he became the "substitute" for Keith Moon?

kwame k
09-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Sure did your Unholiness. Killer drummer.

chefcraig
09-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Didn't Ringo's kid actually play drums for Oasis for a while before he became the "substitute" for Keith Moon?

To his credit although offered the job, Zak Starkey never accepted the offer to join Oasis, even after playing with the group for over three years. Furthermore, it was due to his skills that The Who returned to their roots as an extremely loud garage band live, at least in my opinion. Interestingly enough, when given the opportunity to join The Who as a full-fledged member, he turned that down as well.

yah
09-06-2009, 12:56 AM

You may hate Page but he was a brilliant player and showman all those yrs with Zep and beyond.
I never heard an old bluesman play a frenzied guitar solo like Page did, as well I never heard them play songs like Ten Yrs Gone, Song Remains The Same or Celebration Day.
He did some great Scotty Moore stuff as well as Link Wray riffs and leads as well.....paying tribute to both those guys and more.
I put Page up there with Keith as being one of the most entertaining guitar players ever in Rock and Blues.
Do you actually play guitar, Kristy?

Panamark
09-06-2009, 03:21 AM

Totally agree, my point was I only like their bona fide originals.
In regards to stairway I have heard the "Spirit"s side
of the argument. Totally agree that it sounds similar,
but its only the first two intro bars of that entire song.
And note for note, they are not identical. I will give you
that one, but I digress. Tell me the name of the old
black bluesman in the Delta that played the solo at the
end of Stairway ? If you can, I will consider Led Zep as
the ultimate plaguerists.

Led Zep had excellent moments of originality and its totally wrong to
dismiss those masterpieces, even knowng about them ripping off
all that old Blues. Dont care for the blues rehashes they did,
never did, never will..

Kristy
09-06-2009, 01:45 PM
They sang about scoring drugs, heroin addiction, transvestites, destitution and a hopeless worldview that was anything but psychedelic. "Sister Ray", "Heroin" and "I'm Waiting For The Man" have nothing whatsoever to do with that San Fransisco crap, and if the subject matter isn't gloomy enough for ya, what can I say. This band invented the "heroin-chic" look and attitude that predated goth by nearly twenty years. And Lou Reed later put out some album covers that apparently did not go unnoticed by Robert Smith of The Cure.

Tunes about heroin, waiting to buy heroin or even Reed's weird, abstract view of fetishistic sex hardly qualify as goth, Craig. True goth (and by that I mean early 80's goth) channeled the Gestalt of one's personal poignant struggles in life. In a lot of ways it was (as all music is) a reactionary answer to the disillusionment of punk at the time when unemployment in Britain was at an all-time high with so much hopelessness abound and the "youth of the day" soon learned that their punk brethren sold them out. As influential as Velvet Underground was, in retrospect, they were a Warhol project where Reed saturated his lyrics mainly to drug use along with a warped view of growing up in New York. Depressing, yes, but not really goth to me.

British goth acts such as Joy Division or Bauhaus operated in the period just before pop culture was (finally) taken over by mass media and came out of a British landscape littered with music-trailed regeneration and instead of writing about girls, or cars, or shit like that which most bands do, the music reflected a more negative connotation of flirting with the forbidden and subjects of taboo; it sought to bring the dark to light, and, ideally sought to integrate the two unlike ideological pop music. Depeche Mode and even The Cure in their early heyday were brilliant at this until they became "pop goth" giving rise to every two-bit shit goth act that has followed ever since such as H.I.M. or Opeth or what in the hell ever.

The Velvet Underground may be worshiped by heavily-medicated suburban emo kids today but emo is hardly goth. Emo is spoiled rich kids with shit haircuts who love to bellyache about how luxuriously pampered their lives are and who refuse to engage in anything that doesn't involve their own self-centered vanity; a commercial reaction to the horror that was the 90's.

Kristy
09-06-2009, 01:49 PM
You may hate Page but he was a brilliant player and showman all those yrs with Zep and beyond.
I never heard an old bluesman play a frenzied guitar solo like Page did, as well I never heard them play songs like Ten Yrs Gone, Song Remains The Same or Celebration Day.
He did some great Scotty Moore stuff as well as Link Wray riffs and leads as well.....paying tribute to both those guys and more.
I put Page up there with Keith as being one of the most entertaining guitar players ever in Rock and Blues.
Do you actually play guitar, Kristy?

Obviously, you're not listening to "old bluesman" playing guitar at all. Because if you did, you'd know where Page stole his chops from.

The Elfoid_TFS
09-06-2009, 03:46 PM

I'm with craig on this one. And it somewhat pains me to admit how right I so often think he is, given how frequently he disagrees with my comments. Definitely the blueprint and starting point for that whole scene, more than just a "major influence" (I'd call them proto-goth rather like some Zeppelin was proto-metal, rather than just the older equivalent which I'd apply more to Cream, who didn't seek to expand their sound so much).

I can see Kirsty and I developing a beautiful habit for disagreeing with each other from here on in. She's now claiming that Page isn't even a talented songwriter in his own right, regardless of what he did take from elsewhere.

Kristy
09-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Whoa! I'm not saying Jimmy Page is without talent What I am saying is that a lot the shit he pulled off weren't off his own blueprints. As his songwriting is concerned, he did manage a few decent ideas of his own such as 'Down By The Seaside', 'Tangerine', 'Over The Hills & Far Away', even his all-time signature riff playing of 'Black Dog' but like fuckwits who choose to do heroin Page lost his edge and, tell me, what did he do that was so memorable after Zeppelin?

People seem to want to remember him for his heyday work with Zep and completely forget his outings with The Firm and that er...other thing he did.

http://www.whitesnake-blog.com/img/coverdalepage_foto.jpg

Both were piss poor excuses of Page wanting another Xerox-Zep-esque juggernaut and he must have known his well ran bone dry; his true colors of plagiarism were evidently starting to show.

As for the Velvet Underground being goth, I can see where they were an influence on bands like Bauhaus, Siouxie, early Fat Bob of The Cure but the times were way, way different to be considered a parallel. For one, there was hardly a psychedelic vibe with goth and two, goth grew out of a more industrial influence far from the pages of art pop halcyon days of Warhol.

chefcraig
09-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Tangerine was cowritten with Keith Relf and recorded by the Yardbirds under the title Knowing That I'm Losing You. For some reason, when it was adapted for use on Led Zep III, it only had Page's name in the credits. The two tunes are virtually identical, sparing the chorus.

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fPh1r32TCMY&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fPh1r32TCMY&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

Black Dog was a tune written entirely by John Paul Jones, based on a riff from the God-awful Electric Mud album by Muddy Waters. (The album was a cynical attempt at dressing Waters in psychedelia, with wah-wah guitars and a too-loud band.) I have a bootleg laying around here somewhere featuring Jones teaching the song to Page and Bonham.

Seshmeister
09-06-2009, 08:30 PM
That is of course partly because Oasis like Van Hagar the other way around never put in the time working the other side of the Atlanic. In the case of Oasis this was because the retarded fucks couldn't go a week without taking a swing at each other.

I'm ashamed that Oasis were so big in the UK because they are a couple of prick criminal ripoff scumfuck manc pricks who got lucky churning out rehashed Beatles numbers for 90s teenagers who didn't know better.

Seshmeister
09-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Wow it's over 10 years now since I decided I would happily kick the fuck out of that cowardly twat if I ever had the misfortune to meet him...

In the news - Liam Gallagher: Bad boy can't stop looking back in anger - News - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/in-the-news--liam-gallagher-bad-boy-cant-stop-looking-back-in-anger-1148670.html)

In the news - Liam Gallagher: Bad boy can't stop looking back in anger

Kate Watson-Smyth

Saturday, 7 March 1998
ONCE AGAIN Oasis are in the headlines, and once again it is not for their music, but for their so-called "rock'n'roll behaviour".

Only days after Noel Gallagher launched an attack on Diana, Princess of Wales, his brother Liam has been charged with assault occasioning bodily harm after allegedly head-butting a British fan and breaking his nose. Police said a 19-year-old English fan had been taking a photograph when a member of the band walked up to him, wrapped his arm around him and broke his nose.

Liam Gallagher pleaded not guilty before magistrates, and was released on bail until 9 June with the condition that he provide a $A10,000 surety (pounds 3,906).

It is the latest exploit from the brothers, who have been called the Kray Twins of rock, and by no means the first time that Liam has been in trouble with the police.

John Peel, the Radio 1 DJ, said yesterday that Liam should grow up. "It's old-fashioned rock'n'roll, but it's also a pain in the neck," he said. It seems to be all right for him to behave like that because he's in a successful rock band, but if he did that in the real world he would probably get a kicking. It's really stupid behaviour.

"He should grow up, and he'd probably find he'd enjoy life a lot more if he did."

Steve Penk, of Capital Radio, said: "The guy is a thug. It's a good job he got a lucky break in a pop band, or he would certainly be in the slammer by now."

But Jim Irvin, deputy editor of Mojo magazine, said Gallagher was simply fulfilling his job description.

"There is a tradition of the front man of a band being cocky and arrogant, and that is all he is doing.

"He is not the creative one, and when he is not actually out there performing, he is like a caged tiger. He ends up in a cycle of pent-up aggression and truculence, but one does wonder how long they can go on behaving like that and keep people interested. We must be getting close to saturation point."

Certainly Liam has always appeared to revel in his bad-boy image.

Last July he was cautioned for criminal damage after allegedly grabbing a cyclist's shirt and dragging him alongside the car in which he was a passenger. A few months later Liam was reported to have been ejected by police from a bar in Glasgow Airport, after he began ripping pages out of a book by Sir Paul McCartney.

But this tour has received more bad publicity than is usual - even for Oasis. The band was accused of unruly behaviour during the flight to Australia at the start of the tour, and narrowly escaped an airline ban.

Liam has also been accused of making advances to a young woman in Sydney. Julia Kerrigan said she planned to lodge a complaint, claiming that the singer had followed her from her hotel and had stuffed a used tissue down the front of her shirt, saying: "Here, I have something for you", before running away.

As so often happens when Oasis go on tour, the real reason for them to be there - the music - seems to disappear under an avalanche of rowdy behaviour and complaints.

Ticket sales for last night's concert were reported to be poor, and in Adelaide they attracted only 7,000 fans at pounds 20 a ticket. A week earlier U2 had packed the stadium (capacity 12,000) at pounds 60 a head.

It would seem that the Gallagher master-plan of becoming the "biggest rock band in the world" is in danger of collapsing unless they learn to show a little more respect to their fans.

But whatever the Gallaghers get up to, back at home their mum, Peggy, remains full of pride.

"They will always be my little boys," she says.

WINNING BEHAVIOUR

At the 1996 Brit Awards, Liam grabbed the gold statuette and said: "Anyone tough enough to take us off the stage can come up now." Referring to the presenter, Chris Evans, he added: "It will take more than Ginger Bollocks to throw us off."

He then turned his back on the audience, bent over and pretended to ram the award up his bottom. He sniffed the end of the statuette as he staggered off stage.

BROTHERLY LOVE

Liam's acceptance of his brother's domination - Noel refers to him only as "our kid" - has caused regular punch-ups between the two. They go days without speaking, even on tour, and Noel once broke a chair over his brother's head. "Our kid can only talk about himself, how many birds he's s**gged and how many tables he's thrown across the bar," said Noel.

PHILOSOPHY

"I live for now, not for what happens after I die," said Liam. "I'm going to hell, not heaven. The devil has all the good gear."

In 1996 Liam pulled out of the band's American tour 15 minutes before the plane was due to take off, claiming he had to go house-hunting with his fiancee, Patsy Kensit (left).

"We've got to be out by the weekend. I'm not going around touring the US when I've got nowhere to live. I've got to pack my gear and get a home sorted out. I can't go and look at houses while I'm in America trying to perform for silly f***ing yanks."

degüello
09-06-2009, 09:24 PM
See, I love that shit. LOL! :D:D:D

Seshmeister
09-06-2009, 09:29 PM
I like my rock stars to behave appallingly but not to be pricks.

The classic example is Ozzy. He did all sorts of stupid crap in the early 80s but you got the sense it was done either through stupidity or loveable silliness.

There is nothing cool, interesting or clevr about sucker headbutting a fan and breaking their nose for fucking nothing.

Kristy
09-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Black Dog was a tune written entirely by John Paul Jones, based on a riff from the God-awful Electric Mud album by Muddy Waters. (The album was a cynical attempt at dressing Waters in psychedelia, with wah-wah guitars and a too-loud band.) I have a bootleg laying around here somewhere featuring Jones teaching the song to Page and Bonham.

Ha! It's worse than originally thought.

Alex Mogilny
09-07-2009, 01:40 AM
I saw Oasis a couple of years ago in a small theater. Great fucking show.

hideyoursheep
09-09-2009, 07:07 AM

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Kinks
The Who
David Bowie
The Small Faces
Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin
Joy Division
Iron Maiden
Pink Floyd
The Clash
Sex Pistols
Motorhead
Deep Purple
Slade
Sweet
Queen
Ten Years After

There's been a lot of good shit come out of that relatively small corner of the globe!!

Anonymous
09-09-2009, 12:53 PM
All this talk about Page ripping off bluesmen... How about the Beach Boys rippin' off Chuck Berry? Surfin' USA? More like Sweet Little Sixteen.

Almost exact copy, to these ears.

chefcraig
09-09-2009, 03:32 PM
All this talk about Page ripping off bluesmen... How about the Beach Boys rippin' off Chuck Berry? Surfin' USA? More like Sweet Little Sixteen.

Almost exact copy, to these ears.

Check the writing credits. On "Surfin' USA", they read as Brian Wilson/Chuck Berry. Berry received full credit and royalties for the song's adaptation.

Anonymous
09-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Rite, my bad. Not much of a Beach Boys fan, so I never had an album to look at the credits of the song. Don't mind listening to a couple of songs, though... just don't like 'em enough to buy/pirate any of their stuff.

Kristy
09-09-2009, 03:40 PM
One Beach Boy song per year is all I can handle by them.

chefcraig
09-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Rite, my bad. Not much of a Beach Boys fan, so I never had an album to look at the credits of the song. Don't mind listening to a couple of songs, though... just don't like 'em enough to buy/pirate any of their stuff.

Yeah, I'm with ya. I honestly could get by with one of their better assembled anthologies and perhaps one or two complete studio albums, and that would be about it.

I'll tell you this, their story makes for some compelling as hell reading. If you thought the Jackson family was a fucked-up mess, check out The Nearest Far Away Place: Brian Wilson, the Beach Boys, and the Southern California Experience by Tim White (http://www.amazon.com/Nearest-Far-Away-Place-California/dp/0805047026). Seriously, it reads much differently than any other rock bio I've picked up, more like a novel than anything else.

Guitar Shark
09-09-2009, 03:49 PM
One Beach Boy song per year is all I can handle by them.

That "Kokomo" song actually makes me nauseous.

Kristy
09-09-2009, 03:57 PM
It makes me want to punch someone.

Anonymous
09-09-2009, 04:00 PM
What about Surfin' Safari?

Ain't that gret?

Diamondjimi
09-09-2009, 06:26 PM
That "Kokomo" song actually makes me nauseous.

Same here. John Phillips wrote it. It put the Beach Boys back on the radar for a bit, but yeah, I hate that one too....

hideyoursheep
09-11-2009, 03:50 AM
The best thing is, the American audience would listen to these guys, but NOT their own bluesmen. You know, 'coz they were black...

It seems that most Americans, due to racism, were ignoring what was going on musically in their country at the time, while the British were learning from it, and then going to the US to play American music to Americans who wouldn't've heard it otherwise.

You are absolutely right.

It took a Brit to dig up a great blues guitarist from the states, fly him across the pond, repackage him with 2 white guys, dress him up like Austin Powers and change the spelling of his name from Jimmy to Jimi.

The rest is history.

Panamark
09-11-2009, 04:39 AM
Im surprised anyone who ever recorded a song in basic 12 bar blues, doesnt
have to credit Chuck Berry. Even Chuck Berry ripped himself off..
Listen to "School Days" and "No Particular Place to Go"

Most bands have at least one 12 bar blues composition in their
catalog...

Panamark
09-11-2009, 04:40 AM
And just to throw one out there thats more modern times,
Megadeths "Aint Superstitous"

Panamark
09-11-2009, 04:41 AM
Status Quo would be fucked without 12 bar blues :)

hideyoursheep
09-11-2009, 05:54 AM
We would all be fucked, really...I can't imagine rock n roll without it.:D

Panamark
09-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Yeah, everyone has used it, even the Beatles on several occasions.
(Roll over Beethoven) without thinking too hard...

Led Zep "Rock and Roll" although Pagey jazzed up the usual
riff....

We could probably have a 12 bar blues thread !

Nickdfresh
10-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Noel Gallagher confirms solo career plan
Ex-Oasis man 'looking forward' to getting new music out

October 23, 2009

Noel Gallagher has confirmed that he plans to embark on a solo career following the break-up of Oasis in August.

The guitarist told the Daily Mirror that he was looking forward to releasing music of his own now he was free of the band's shackles.

"I'm looking forward to doing my own thing, bringing out my own music," he said. "I'm glad that's what people want to hear. I am not thinking about much else, Oasis or Liam, I'm just having a good time."

Liam Gallagher recently said that he too would continue to make music, but not under the Oasis guise, as had previously been rumoured.

Noel Gallagher confirms solo career plan | News | NME.COM (http://www.nme.com/news/oasis/48012)

Coyote
10-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Depeche Mode and even The Cure in their early heyday were brilliant at this until they became "pop goth" giving rise to every two-bit shit goth act that has followed ever since such as H.I.M. or Opeth or what in the hell ever.

Ok, hold it. HIM sounds more B.Ö.C./Sabbath influenced (to my ears, anyway).

Can't say much 'bout their fans, though... :D