PDA

View Full Version : Hagarita: EVH "not as prolific" as Satriani

Va Beach VH Fan
08-31-2009, 08:29 AM
I'm not pasting the Chickenshit portion....

Gibson Interview: Sammy Hagar Talks Chickenfoot, Guitars, And Songwriting (http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/sammy-hagar-828/)

How do Joe and Eddie Van Halen differ in their approach to the guitar and in their approach to songwriting?

As a writer, Joe is faster. That makes him easier for me to work with, because I come up with things really fast as well. As soon as I hear a chord structure, I have a melody, instantly. And then five seconds later I’m writing lyrics. Working with Joe is great. If I say to him, “Hey, let’s do something funky,” next thing I know he’s saying, “How about this?” It’s like, bang, he’s done. Whereas with Eddie, he would come back a week later and want to re-do something.

But that said, working with Eddie was great, and we wrote great songs together. The Van-Hagar stuff still holds up fantastically well, but it was a slow process. It took three years to write the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge album. And when I tried to do the Van-Hagar reunion, in 2004, and we were trying to make a new record, Eddie could only squeeze three songs out. He’s just not as prolific, and not as fast. So that’s the difference between them as far as writing.

As far as playing goes, they’re both phenomenal. The innovations Eddie came up with in early Van Halen -- before I was in the band – were just so unique, he gets lots of points for that. But as just a straight-up player, who can play anything, and plays perfect every time, there’s no one better than Joe.

ZahZoo
08-31-2009, 08:44 AM
Seems like a reasonable assessment... Ed's definately not as productive as he used to be.

Fuct Jup
08-31-2009, 08:50 AM
IMO, Ed is a much better song writer. If it takes a little longer for a better CD then its worth it.

fryingdutchman
08-31-2009, 09:52 AM
Hagar just needs to shut the fuck up.

I like Satriani, and he's an amazing guitar player.

But this is just a case of Hagar AGAIN sucking the cock of whatever guitar virtuoso he's using at the moment to garner a little attention for himself.

In a couple of years, it will be someone else.

This is Hagar's M.O. - it's equivalent to EVH's "my new brother" comments all the time.

indeedido
08-31-2009, 10:26 AM
Just because he can do it fast, doesn't mean it's good. I can churn out ten songs in a day, but none of them would be good.

ThrillsNSpills
08-31-2009, 10:33 AM
Yes and the Hagar and Neil Schon project was all quickly written.
How well has that held up?

But all the old VH stuff is Classic.
plus when Ed shreds there's tons of emotion.

Nobody who writes Let Sally Drive and sings about butter, biscuits and bananas should critique someone else's writing.

But at least Hagar's admitting Ed was better before Mach II.

ZahZoo
08-31-2009, 12:04 PM
Nobody who writes Let Sally Drive and sings about butter, biscuits and bananas should critique someone else's writing.

Standard fare for a Class B singer...

bueno bob
08-31-2009, 12:13 PM
I personally don't think Joe has put out anything really interesting, fresh, groundbreaking or innovative since Flying in a Blue Dream; just because he cranks out an album every year doesn't mean it's good.

Of course, the same can be said of Edward, who hasn't recorded one listenable note since 1996...

Seshmeister
08-31-2009, 12:30 PM
If he took more than a morning to write the Chickenshit album then he's an idiot.

negative
08-31-2009, 04:05 PM
Why can't goddamn Hagar just shut the fuck up?? I'm so tired of him running his fucking mouth every other second...

lesfunk
08-31-2009, 04:12 PM
hagar comes up with stuff fast! Yes and it sounds like it. If he actually went back to study what he came up with he may never have released it

yah
08-31-2009, 04:13 PM
Blame the idiots who interview him and consider Chickenhut news.....

Fairwrning
08-31-2009, 05:58 PM
Its real obvious Sammy writes lyrics quickly.:sleepy:

sadaist
08-31-2009, 06:24 PM
IMO, Ed is a much better song writer. If it takes a little longer for a better CD then its worth it.

But time is apparently also the problem. Leave a casserole in the oven too long it turns to utter crap. Proof? 3 years to make F.U.C.K.

Maybe Hagar will hook up with Vai in a couple years. Then we can hear how mediocre Satch is too.

Keep your lips on the ass of the gravy train Sam.

Terry
08-31-2009, 06:56 PM
To me, the word 'prolific' not only refers to a quantity of material produced, but the quality as well.

What use is it to be prolific if the output is average at best?

Terry
08-31-2009, 07:21 PM
It's like the only way Hagar could generate any press interest for Chickenfoot is by attempting to stir the pot and remind people in a multitude of interviews that he was once in Van Halen.

Contrast that with Van Halen 2007 holding one press conference the entire tour.

joe d'amato
08-31-2009, 08:05 PM
. . . bless sammy's heart for saying such kind words about satch . . .

. . . but come on. eddie's not prolific?!?!?! total unmitiaged unadulterated congenital b.s. of the highest order. there's no comparison between the two. eddie and satch are in two completely different leagues entirely. hell, they're not even playing the same game. satriani's got one killer album, his first one, and it doesn't even compare to eddie on his worst day. just look at eddie's output: decade after decade of one stellar album after another . . .

. . . what's sammy talking about -- only three songs for the best of both worlds??? that was paltry to sammy h? how many original songs do greatest hits albums usually contain. none maybe. and eddie gave us THREE brand new vibrant, vital songs. thank you, eddie van halen . . .

. . . i quite like sammy and i've come to recognize his contribution to rock. he helped to keep van halen as a going concern for one thing. of course, whenever there's a new project it's always the best project ever and we all know sammy is professionally obligated to praise the players he's working with currently. let him. but come on, is there any reason to put down the great eddie van halen in the process of propping up satriani?

. . . david lee roth is number one and thank you thank you thank you to the dlr army for giving us this free forum to praise the great genius of the diamond man, the magnificent diamond dave . . .

chefcraig
08-31-2009, 08:10 PM
I dunno...calling EVH non-prolific isn't exactly a slight, considering the vast amount of VH music that has been released in the past 11 years. It's more a statement of the redundantly obvious. What is astounding (taking into account the lack of thinking involved) is that Hagar could even stumble to the idea first place.

sadaist
08-31-2009, 08:11 PM
david lee roth is number one and thank you thank you thank you to the dlr army for giving us this free forum to praise the great genius of the diamond man, the magnificent diamond dave . . .

I second that. :rockon:

VanHalener
08-31-2009, 10:26 PM
How are they able to understand Bette with all that coch in his mouth? That transcriber is a real pro.

The Red Cockgobbler has mad skills as a baffoon.

Nitro Express
09-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Whoever Sammy is currently playing with is the BEST GUITAR PLAYER IN THE WORLD! He said this about Eddie Van Halen, the Cabo Waboritta dude Vincent what's his name, Joe Satriani. I wonder if Sam makes that tequila fast as well. Yeah man we don't bother to age it. Eddie Van Halen would do it that way. We just throw blue aguava roots, dirt, and shit in a blender and cut it with some cheap white rum or wood alcohol. Yeah man. I don't do it like Dave. He's a fucking rockstar and would want to put it in barrels and age it. I just blend it fast and put it in a bottle of piss.

bueno bob
09-01-2009, 12:58 AM
Whoever Sammy is currently playing with is the BEST GUITAR PLAYER IN THE WORLD! He said this about Eddie Van Halen, the Cabo Waboritta dude Vincent what's his name, Joe Satriani.

I believe he also said the same thing about Neal, didn't he?

bueno bob
09-01-2009, 01:02 AM
What can ya say, though?

Good ole Sam is nothing if not ever reliable for a steady flow of bullshit...

ZahZoo
09-01-2009, 08:56 AM
I personally don't think Joe has put out anything really interesting, fresh, groundbreaking or innovative since Flying in a Blue Dream; just because he cranks out an album every year doesn't mean it's good.

Of course, the same can be said of Edward, who hasn't recorded one listenable note since 1996...

There was the one listenable note... but he fucked that up with that gawd damned sustainer pickup he got addicted to!!!

Agreed Ed hasn't put out anything decent since 96... A few of the songs on III had potenial but the total lack of a producer and Cherone's shitty vocals fucked all that up.

Hell for that matter it goes further back. Good majority of the CVH gems were written before 1978... MWM & CGTSNM weren't written in 96. They were left-overs from years before.

When was the last time Ed wrote a great song?

Nickdfresh
09-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Its real obvious Sammy writes lyrics quickly.:sleepy:

Usually from random words generated in a morning of watching cartoons...

Va Beach VH Fan
09-01-2009, 09:33 AM
[ Activate sarcasm... ]

Excuse me, Senor Fresh, but Samuel Roy Hagar is a musical genius !!!!

I mean, look at these magical lyrics !!!

(woohoohoo!)

If I were a healer, id use my hands
i'd put a spell on you, if I were a magic man
If I were jesus, buddah, or a king
If I were a blues man oh lord I could sing about
how I want to be your hoochie coochie man
you got me eating out of your hand

oh, yeah! come on baby tell me what you want
oh, yeah! come on baby tell me what you need
oh, yeah! ain't nothing I wouldn't do for you
oh yeah!

When I was a young man, I slept around
When I turned 30, time settled down
To be your doctor, preacher, teacher, thats the truth, hey!
I'm prayin' on my knees, my soul is waterproof!
And I just want to be your hoochie coochie man,
To get you eating out of my hand, yeah!

oh (woo!), yeah! come on baby tell me what you want
oh yeah!

ooh baby...
ooh baby...

Whoooaaaaa!
Yeah!
Oh!
Ow!

ooh baby...
ooh...
yeah!

well, well, well!
If I were a potter , i'd make you real
I'd mold and touch you on my, spinning wheel!

oh, yeah! (ahh!) come on baby tell me what you want
oh, yeah! tell me what I could do for you!
oh yeah!
I said oh, yeah! come on baby tell me what you want
oh, yeah! I'd do anything for you
oh yeah!
oh, yeah!
hey!
oh!
YEAH

Lennon and Mccartney don't have SHIT on Hagar !!!

[ Deactivate sarcasm.... ]

chefcraig
09-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Usually from random words generated in a morning of watching cartoons...

Judging solely by some of the responses offered in the Front Line section, I'd say this is a widely adhered to practice, fairly common amongst most helium-heads.

Vinnie Velvet
09-01-2009, 10:02 AM

I was going to say the same thing.

I fully concur here. Satch hasn't IMO released anything groundbreaking or kick ass since 1989 (Flying in a Blue Dream).

Vinnie Velvet
09-01-2009, 10:04 AM

Correction: Edward doesn't know how to write a "song". Never did. That's why Dave was in the band (and I guess Fagar as well).

Great riffmaster and jammer but songwriter?? No.

kwf
09-01-2009, 01:50 PM

Hagar gets Bozo buttons if the records are done fast....

Nitro Express
09-01-2009, 02:14 PM
What can ya say, though?

Good ole Sam is nothing if not ever reliable for a steady flow of bullshit...

He's made more money selling bullshit than music. If he wore a suit and tie, he would be a politician.

Nitro Express
09-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Sammy is does things so quick, he prematurely ejaculates before penetrating hot sauce Mike's asshole.

sadaist
09-01-2009, 04:16 PM

I hope to get back to you with an answer next year on that. Hopefully I will say "2009".
(fingers crossed, holding breath, lucky penny in pocket, rabbits foot keychain, salt over the shoulder, etc...)

Satan
09-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Funniest thing about that interview is that Spam actually admits that Eddie's best stuff was on the Van HALEN albums. And yet he continues to say "Dave's not a musician".

joe d'amato
09-01-2009, 07:10 PM
. . . here's why i find it hard to compare joe satriani with eddie van halen . . .

. . . eddie van halen plays rock guitar. what satriani composes sounds to me more like rock jazz or rock fusion, not straight ahead rock and roll. he's one of the best (if not the best) of the b-level post van halen players though . . .

. . . interesting firsthand comments from hagar about eddie van halen's songwriting process . . .

yah
09-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Unfortunately; Spagar has a valid point about Sped;
It's true that his output and creativity were severely affected for yrs upon yrs...
1996 to 2006 were horrible times for the band and Ed, obviously with impaired playing and impaired crap songs.
The bright point for Ed was his playing on the Cheroney tour but the vocals and staging just never really worked- everyone with taste would have loved a Dave tour with VH instead at this time-Me Wise Magic and CGTSNM live would've KILLED!!!
Otherwise, Spagar seems all about quantity and song filler year after year---nothing really stands out.

VAiN
09-02-2009, 01:07 AM
. . . here's why i find it hard to compare joe satriani with eddie van halen . . .

. . . eddie van halen plays rock guitar. what satriani composes sounds to me more like rock jazz or rock fusion, not straight ahead rock and roll. he's one of the best (if not the best) of the b-level post van halen players though . . .

. . . interesting firsthand comments from hagar about eddie van halen's songwriting process . . .

Do you have a link for that? I'd love to pass it along...

Panamark
09-02-2009, 03:47 AM
Funniest thing about that interview is that Spam actually admits that Eddie's best stuff was on the Van HALEN albums. And yet he continues to say "Dave's not a musician".

And totally refers to his tenure as "Van Hagar" :biggrin:

GAR
09-02-2009, 04:16 AM
If he took more than a morning to write the Chickenshit album then he's an idiot.

Chickenfoot is the only iTune seller to both download gold, and go pay-dispute platinum.

binnie
09-02-2009, 11:19 AM
It's like the only way Hagar could generate any press interest for Chickenfoot is by attempting to stir the pot and remind people in a multitude of interviews that he was once in Van Halen.

Bingo.

standin
09-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Chickenfoot is the only iTune seller to both download gold, and go pay-dispute platinum.

It is common knowledge that the accounting pratices of "the industry" have never taken a serious audit, have little to no fraud prevention , and that the position of "platium" and "gold" is industry politics and marketing.

A glass ceiling that effects artist of every age, gender, race, creed and socioeconomic status.

news + public affairs player: video (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/video/flv/generic.html?s=tavi08s2554q8dd)

Terry
09-03-2009, 12:27 PM

Yes, and Paul Blart Mall Cop was the number one movie in America and grossed 150 million domestically.

So much for the correlation between the amount of sales being an indication of how good something is.

VanHalener
09-03-2009, 02:18 PM
[ Activate sarcasm... ]

Excuse me, Senor Fresh, but Samuel Roy Hagar is a musical genius !!!!

I mean, look at these magical lyrics !!!

(woohoohoo!)

If I were a healer, id use my hands
i'd put a spell on you, if I were a magic man
If I were jesus, buddah, or a king
If I were a blues man oh lord I could sing about
how I want to be your hoochie coochie man
you got me eating out of your hand

oh, yeah! come on baby tell me what you want
oh yeah!

When I was a young man, I slept around
When I turned 30, time settled down
To be your doctor, preacher, teacher, thats the truth, hey!
I'm prayin' on my knees, my soul is waterproof!
And I just want to be your hoochie coochie man,
To get you eating out of my hand, yeah!

oh (woo!), yeah! come on baby tell me what you want
oh yeah!

ooh baby...
ooh baby...

Whoooaaaaa!
Yeah!
Oh!
Ow!

ooh baby...
ooh...
yeah!

well, well, well!
If I were a potter , i'd make you real
I'd mold and touch you on my, spinning wheel!

oh, yeah! (ahh!) come on baby tell me what you want
oh, yeah! tell me what I could do for you!
oh yeah!
I said oh, yeah! come on baby tell me what you want
oh, yeah! I'd do anything for you
oh yeah!
oh, yeah!
hey!
oh!
YEAH

Lennon and Mccartney don't have SHIT on Hagar !!!

[ Deactivate sarcasm.... ]

I just need 3 things...

One Claymore Mine
One roll of tape
Hagar's clownlike head.

Now that would make beautiful music.

Sucker of Satan's Penis
09-04-2009, 02:29 AM
So much for the correlation between the amount of sales being an indication of how good something is.

O Infidel of Misunderstandings:

.. the inferrance is the ratio of returns for product sold is 10:1, which is virtually impossible.

The Wormwood meteor of 2012 will destroy you Unbelievers long before Chickenfoot sells 500 iTunes downloads let along 500,000 okay..

Sucker of Satan's Penis
09-04-2009, 02:34 AM
I just need 3 things...

One Claymore Mine
One roll of tape
Hagar's clownlike head.

Now that would make beautiful music.

Back in the Old Country, we found these to make the Sons of Lebanon sing like fuckin' FAIRIES..

http://www.mithrasswordfightclub.com/images/Weapons/Scimitars.gif

Forget the duct-tape. That shit's expensive in this economy!

Hardrock69
09-04-2009, 03:49 AM
Only time will tell if we stand the test of time......

Terry
09-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Back in the Old Country, we found these to make the Sons of Lebanon sing like fuckin' FAIRIES..

http://www.mithrasswordfightclub.com/images/Weapons/Scimitars.gif

Forget the duct-tape. That shit's expensive in this economy!

Wow.

Best posts by an alias yet...

:hee:

:biggrin:

:lmao:

mott5607
09-05-2009, 04:11 PM
"Up for Breakfast"
She put the cream in my coffee (first thing in the morning)
Put that butter on my biscuit (honeydew my melons)
Cherries on bananas (gonna need a second helpin')
You know I'm up for breakfast so early in the morning

Lock the front ...Leave the back door open
Hot tub loosen up ...baby been soaking
Been tokin'...been sippin'
Slip slide slippin ... all got me tripping

How does this guy keep getting gigs with great guitar players anyway??
Honeydew my melons?!?!?! Good Lord....

DavidLeeNatra
09-06-2009, 02:45 AM
comitting lyrical felonies...that's what dave called it...and nailed it...

Panamark
09-06-2009, 03:11 AM
Im suddenly realizing that everytime I walk my dog and it drops a
big dump, I instantly think of Sammy. I think the aliens zapped me too
and now everytime I see shit, my brain automagically informs me its
Hagar !

standin
09-06-2009, 07:01 AM
:barf:
This is not morning coffee breakfast viewing.
Tsk, Tsk! I just HAD to look!:pullinghair:

Carloscda
09-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Sorry to say hagar, but here it is 25+ yrs later we're still loving & blasting the 6pk!!

A yr or so from now... chickenscratch who??!!

lesfunk
09-06-2009, 06:26 PM
The goose that shits even one golden egg is better than the goose who shits 100 brass ones.
Ed has shit at least 6

GAR
09-06-2009, 07:07 PM
:fuhagar:
:fuhagar2:
:fuhagar3:

78/84 guy
09-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Joe's very good, I love him. But his last 4 cd's sound the same. Blue Dream was his last great cd. I would take Ed any day of the week over Joe. Even in 2009. Sam has a way of slamming people he is pissed at but making it sound good !! What else is new ??

yah
09-12-2009, 01:45 PM
:fuhagar:
:fuhagar2:
:fuhagar3:

Good signs Gar,
read 'em up close Hagar....we can't stand you or your drivel,
Fuck Off already!!!!:barf:

ELVIS
09-13-2009, 01:22 PM
how many original songs do greatest hits albums usually contain. none maybe. and eddie gave us THREE brand new vibrant, vital songs. thank you, eddie van halen . . .

I wouldn't go that far...
. . . i quite like sammy and i've come to recognize his contribution to rock.

Moving this crap...

:elvis: