X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Hagarita: EVH "not as prolific" as Satriani

I'm not pasting the Chickenshit portion....

Gibson Interview: Sammy Hagar Talks Chickenfoot, Guitars, And Songwriting

How do Joe and Eddie Van Halen differ in their approach to the guitar and in their approach to songwriting?

As a writer, Joe is faster. That makes him easier for me to work with, because I come up with things really fast as well. As soon as I hear a chord structure, I have a melody, instantly. And then five seconds later I’m writing lyrics. Working with Joe is great. If I say to him, “Hey, let’s do something funky,” next thing I know he’s saying, “How about this?” It’s like, bang, he’s done. Whereas with Eddie, he would come back a week later and want to re-do something.

But that said, working with Eddie was great, and we wrote great songs together. The Van-Hagar stuff still holds up fantastically well, but it was a slow process. It took three years to write the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge album. And when I tried to do the Van-Hagar reunion, in 2004, and we were trying to make a new record, Eddie could only squeeze three songs out. He’s just not as prolific, and not as fast. So that’s the difference between them as far as writing.

As far as playing goes, they’re both phenomenal. The innovations Eddie came up with in early Van Halen -- before I was in the band – were just so unique, he gets lots of points for that. But as just a straight-up player, who can play anything, and plays perfect every time, there’s no one better than Joe.
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth
  • ZahZoo
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Seems like a reasonable assessment... Ed's definately not as productive as he used to be.
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Fuct Jup
      Head Fluffer
      • Nov 2006

IMO, Ed is a much better song writer. If it takes a little longer for a better CD then its worth it.
      Anything left in that bottle?

Comment

• fryingdutchman
        Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Hagar just needs to shut the fuck up.

I like Satriani, and he's an amazing guitar player.

But this is just a case of Hagar AGAIN sucking the cock of whatever guitar virtuoso he's using at the moment to garner a little attention for himself.

In a couple of years, it will be someone else.

This is Hagar's M.O. - it's equivalent to EVH's "my new brother" comments all the time.
        Originally posted by perilouspete
        fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• indeedido
          Veteran
          • Feb 2004

Just because he can do it fast, doesn't mean it's good. I can churn out ten songs in a day, but none of them would be good.
          This space for rent.

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

Yes and the Hagar and Neil Schon project was all quickly written.
            How well has that held up?

But all the old VH stuff is Classic.
            plus when Ed shreds there's tons of emotion.

Nobody who writes Let Sally Drive and sings about butter, biscuits and bananas should critique someone else's writing.

But at least Hagar's admitting Ed was better before Mach II.

Comment

• ZahZoo
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
              Nobody who writes Let Sally Drive and sings about butter, biscuits and bananas should critique someone else's writing.
              Standard fare for a Class B singer...
              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• bueno bob
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jul 2004

I personally don't think Joe has put out anything really interesting, fresh, groundbreaking or innovative since Flying in a Blue Dream; just because he cranks out an album every year doesn't mean it's good.

Of course, the same can be said of Edward, who hasn't recorded one listenable note since 1996...
                Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

If he took more than a morning to write the Chickenshit album then he's an idiot.

Comment

• negative
                    Groupie
                    • Dec 2007

Why can't goddamn Hagar just shut the fuck up?? I'm so tired of him running his fucking mouth every other second...

Comment

• lesfunk
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

hagar comes up with stuff fast! Yes and it sounds like it. If he actually went back to study what he came up with he may never have released it
                      http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• yah
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Jan 2006

Blame the idiots who interview him and consider Chickenhut news.....

Comment

• Fairwrning
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Its real obvious Sammy writes lyrics quickly.

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Fuct Jup
                            IMO, Ed is a much better song writer. If it takes a little longer for a better CD then its worth it.
                            But time is apparently also the problem. Leave a casserole in the oven too long it turns to utter crap. Proof? 3 years to make F.U.C.K.

Maybe Hagar will hook up with Vai in a couple years. Then we can hear how mediocre Satch is too.

Keep your lips on the ass of the gravy train Sam.
                            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

To me, the word 'prolific' not only refers to a quantity of material produced, but the quality as well.

What use is it to be prolific if the output is average at best?
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...