X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

U.S. general calls for Afghan strategy shift

Men walk past burnt vehicles along Chaman's Pakistan-Afghanistan border on Monday. Suspected Taliban militants set fire to 18 container trucks carrying supplies for Western forces in neighboring Afghanistan.
    NATO officials say McChrystal separately expected to request more troops
    The Associated Press
    updated 1:46 p.m. ET, Mon., Aug 31, 2009

KABUL - The commander of U.S. and NATO troops in Afghanistan called Monday for a new strategy against the Taliban in an assessment of the 8-year-old conflict, saying the situation is serious but victory was achievable.

NATO officials disclosed that Gen. Stanley McChrystal is expected to separately request more forces to fight an increasingly deadly insurgency.

Explosions killed two more U.S. troops, raising the record death toll in August to 47 — the deadliest month of the eight-year war for American forces.

Boosting the number of U.S. forces in Afghanistan is a hot-button issue that could ignite furious debate in Washington on the U.S. military's future in an increasingly unpopular war. Some Democratic senators have increased calls for a timeline to draw down troops.

McChrystal sent his strategic review of the Afghan war to the Pentagon and NATO headquarters Monday. U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates ordered the 60-day review to size up the rapidly deteriorating security situation in Afghanistan as Taliban attacks rise and U.S. deaths spiral upward.

"The situation in Afghanistan is serious, but success is achievable and demands a revised implementation strategy, commitment and resolve, and increased unity of effort," McChrystal said in a statement Monday.

Request for more troops forthcoming?
    A NATO statement said McChrystal's assessment seeks to implement President Barack Obama's strategy "to reduce the capability and will" of insurgents and extremists, including al-Qaida, and support the growth and development of Afghan security forces and Afghan governance.

McChrystal did not ask for more troops but is expected to do so in a separate request, two NATO officials told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak on the matter.

The United States already has some 62,000 troops in Afghanistan — a record number — and will have 68,000 by the end of the year. In total there are more than 100,000 U.S. and NATO troops in the country.

Thousands of U.S. forces moved into the Afghan south this summer after Obama ordered 21,000 more troops to the country this year, forces who helped protect the country's Aug. 20 presidential election. McChrystal, who took over command in Afghanistan on June 15, delayed the release of the review so that it would not interfere with the vote.

Karzai leads vote tally
    New vote tallies released Monday showed President Hamid Karzai with a strong lead over top challenger Abdullah Abdullah. Karzai had 45.8 percent of votes counted, while Abdullah had 33.2 percent. Ballots have been counted from almost half of the country's voting stations, meaning results could still change dramatically. Karzai will need 50 percent of the votes to avoid a two-man runoff.

Hundreds of allegations of fraud and voter intimidation threaten to mar the election, and female turnout was low. Voters who cast ballots faced retaliatory attacks from militants who told Afghans not to vote. Results are not expected to be finalized until mid- or late September, after officials work through the fraud allegations.

Extreme danger
    In an example of the extreme threats that voters faced, an Afghan man said Monday that Taliban militants cut off his nose and both ears as he tried to vote.

"I was on my way to a polling station when Taliban stopped me and searched me. They found my voter registration card," Lal Mohammad said from a hospital bed in Kabul. He said they cut off his nose and ears before beating him unconscious with a weapon.

Afghan farmer Lal Mohammad, who claims his nose and ears were cut of by the Taliban.
    "I regret that I went to vote," Mohammad said, crying and trying to hide his disfigured face. "What is the benefit of voting to me?"

Bolstering troop levels
    The U.S. strategy in Afghanistan hinges on increasing the number of Afghan soldiers and police so U.S. forces can one day withdraw. Some 134,000 Afghan troops are to be trained by late 2011, but U.S. officials say that number will need to be greatly increased, an expansion that will be paid for by U.S. funds.

Afghanistan has long been seen as the "good" war by many in the United States, especially in comparison with U.S. efforts in Iraq, where U.S. troops are now drawing down. But some Democratic senators are beginning to question whether U.S. goals in Afghanistan are achievable, and when U.S. troops will be brought home.

© 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

GoogleAP
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    I expect to see Mel Gibson ride through here on a motorcycle.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

The real strategy is wear down the invaders and outlast them. This strategy worked on Alexander the Great, the British, the Russians, and now the United States. This will run it's course, we will leave and Afganistahn will go on being well uh, Afganistahn.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Yup. It is a complete waste of lives, time and money.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2007

62 thousand?

A record number?

For the REAL front of the WOT?

Imagine the progress that could have been made with all those sent to Iraq sent here instead.

the US wouldn't be as broke, no one would be in Iraq, and our troops would have been home from Afghanistan 2 years ago! They could have went back to killing each other as nature intended by now!

Comment

• standin
            Veteran
            • Apr 2009

Russia was bringing some real infrastructure to that region eons ago. We stepped in funded anyone that would disrupt. Disruption occurred. We did not keep our word to collaborate with the radicals that we recruited. We were seen as greedy, dishonest, and casuistic. That set in place angry at the world scenario. Neither Russia with its lack of religion that equated to evil (1), nor had America with its freedom of religion, (2) proved to be of use to the man that versioned himself a savior figure. In addition, that had learned manipulation and competition for basic affection and needs at the feet of his parents.
            He is like the unchecked Michael Jackson of the Religion industry.

1. If or if not that was the case, it was the propaganda. Region was allowed, however it was heavily regulated
            2. However, allows any cult to flourish unchecked when useful or benign.
            Last edited by standin; 09-01-2009, 08:18 AM.
            To put it simply, we need to worry a lot less about how to communicate our actions and much more about what our actions communicate.
            MICHAEL G. MULLEN

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by standin
              Russia was bringing some real infrastructure to that region eons ago. We stepped in funded anyone that would disrupt. Disruption occurred.
              So what are the chances a country such as Russia is doing the same thing now to us as we did to them?
              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                Yup. It is a complete waste of lives, time and money.
                I will forgive if I get a cut of the herione trade money.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• bueno bob
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                  I will forgive if I get a cut of the herione trade money.
                  You know, if we let them enjoy their own product long enough, maybe they'll destroy themselves and we won't have to worry about it...
                  Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Instead of trying to wipe out the opium farmers, they should legitimize them. Hook them up with the pharmaceutical companies, and make it the source material for the morphine in your local hospital, rather than the smack on the street.

Rush Limbaugh should easily get on board with this idea. It might bring the price of his Oxycontin down a little.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• standin
                      Veteran
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by sadaist
                      So what are the chances a country such as Russia is doing the same thing now to us as we did to them?
                      The drug cartels are, with their own governmental system in place.
                      The drug cartel's governmental system is a form of the global world government that is feared by some that have not come to realize we already have global communications.

One reason why I compare Osama bin laden to Michael Jackson is, both are brilliant and produce incredible results in some aspects and completely totally misguided and delusional in other aspects. Moreover, their cult followings are damn devout.
                      Last edited by standin; 09-01-2009, 04:17 PM.
                      To put it simply, we need to worry a lot less about how to communicate our actions and much more about what our actions communicate.
                      MICHAEL G. MULLEN

Comment

• sadaist
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                        Instead of trying to wipe out the opium farmers, they should legitimize them. Hook them up with the pharmaceutical companies, and make it the source material for the morphine in your local hospital
                        Are the opiates used in Vicodin, Percocet, Lortab, Norco, Oxycodone, Oxycontin, etc... synthetic?

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by FORD
                          Instead of trying to wipe out the opium farmers, they should legitimize them. Hook them up with the pharmaceutical companies, and make it the source material for the morphine in your local hospital, rather than the smack on the street.

Rush Limbaugh should easily get on board with this idea. It might bring the price of his Oxycontin down a little.
                          We don't even need to do that. We could buy it and put it down the toilet and it would still cost a millionth of the money being pissed away in that shithole on the 'war'.

Comment

• Satan
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by standin
                            One reason why I compare Osama bin laden to Michael Jackson is, both are brilliant and produce incredible results in some aspects and completely totally misguided and delusional in other aspects. Moreover, their cult followings are damn devout.
                            And also, they're both dead, and current residents here in Hell.
                            Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                            I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                              The real strategy is wear down the invaders and outlast them. This strategy worked on Alexander the Great, the British, the Russians, and now the United States. This will run it's course, we will leave and Afganistahn will go on being well uh, Afganistahn.
                              see also: Viet Nam

Originally posted by Kristy
                              Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                              Originally posted by cadaverdog
                              I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

Working...