X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ally_Kat
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Rwd?

So I'm going and scoping out some cars that are for sale in my area. Spotted one for a good price and I'm all excited until some of my girlfriends start complaining about it being RWD and how I'll die in it if the ground's wet.

Now, I love them dearly, but they know nothing about cars.

So, I ask you, car knowledgeable peeps of the Army, is RWD really that bad on wet roads? Wouldn't it be just as safe if you took it slow and did regular driving safety in bad weather? We normally don't get snow in the streets because we're the city and it either melts on the street or is plowed - so all we deal is with wet.

?
    Roth Army Militia
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

What car are you looking at? RWD isn't all that common, but in NYC, I can't see it being much of an issue. If you have Electronic/Dynamic/Vehicle Stability Control/Assist, it won't matter much what drive it is.

Comment

• Ally_Kat
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
      What car are you looking at? RWD isn't all that common, but in NYC, I can't see it being much of an issue. If you have Electronic/Dynamic/Vehicle Stability Control/Assist, it won't matter much what drive it is.
      99 Mustang. Insurance isn't as bad as I thought it would be and I see a lot of other broads my age driving them in my 'hood, so I didn't think it would be that much of a "deathtrap." Actually, I was very surprised at the recent rise of female drivers of the 'stangs than guys. But, then again, maybe we're getting the better insurance deal for our age group.

I deffy do know that it'll prob feel different than the Malibu I've been driving, Maybe not size-wise. I go later this week to check it out.
      Roth Army Militia

Comment

• kwame k
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Feb 2008

Here's the thing with rear wheel drive as opposed to front or all wheels. Rear wheel doesn't have the weight behind it as say a front wheel, the engine, rear wheel has a tendency to break loose because of no weight in the back. If you drive it right no worries.

For snow front wheel rocks!
        Originally posted by vandeleur
        E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• rustoffa
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

RWD is more fun to spin the tires on wet roads than FWD. FWD is better for icy roads. Have you considered getting a 4WD? It'd blow people's minds if you busted out a '79 Bronco 4WD with a body lift and like 13.75 Super Swamper mud grips....like freaking charging around the village with a rebel flag on the back!!

Comment

• WACF
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

I grew up on RWDs...and lots of snow and ice.

No worries.

RWD is alot more fun...but I find if it is real icy...you will recover a RWD faster and easier than a FWD.

The key is rubber...winter tires are deadly awesome...but at the very least good all seasons if you don't wanna change over every fall and spring.

But...if all you deal with is wet...damn....it would make no difference front or back.
            Last edited by WACF; 09-06-2009, 12:35 AM.

Comment

• yah
              Head Fluffer
              • Jan 2006

I drove RWD cars for most of the 80's and 90's.
              Mostly big boat American cars like Buicks and Oldsmobiles, some muscle cars like a '70 Cutlass S coupe and a few Mustangs.
              Load down the trunk in the winter with some weight, and make sure you have good tires on the car (all 4)
              Bridgestone Blizzacs are great winter tires....try 4 of them or some Michelin snow tires.

Comment

• Little Texan
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I've driven RWD cars and trucks all my life and I've never had any problems. I don't know where your friends got their information from, but they are full of shit. That's the first I've ever heard of RWD vehicles being death traps. As long as you're not driving like a total dipshit such as driving 80+ down a wet road weaving in and out of traffic and drive safely at a safe rate of speed, there shouldn't be anything to worry about. Any vehicle is a potential death trap if you drive like an idiot.

Comment

• Dan
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Make Sure You Get The Car Checked Out.

Car History Log Book Is All Good.

No Rust in Good.

Check Belts And Every-Thing.

That's My Advice.
                  First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• GAR
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2004

I think it depends on how you drive, if you're poke thru traffic with lots of hesitations, FWD may be more suitable.

Comment

• GAR
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2004