PDA

View Full Version : Def Leppard concert review 9/3/09

atomicpunk5151
09-06-2009, 01:24 PM
MY wife and a bunch of her friends went to DL. I went along to drink and hang out with a couple people from back in the day as well. Full house with 15,000+, even the grass was packed.

Joe Elliot had a pretty tough night vocal wise. His voice was very low in the mix as well.

They dropped Cmon Cmon from the set, maybe to tough to sing? So there was no new material. They also added MLLAM, I haven't seen that on many setlists so far.

Overall fun show with ther usual hits and crowd sing alongs. Both Phil & Viv were loud in the mix, so nice guitar work.

Poison was ok. CC still can barely play. Even did a bit of EVH eruption that wasn't pretty during his solo.

Missed Cheap trick as we were still in the parking lot doing some "pre-game".

atomicpunk5151
09-06-2009, 01:30 PM
couple of small pics

Va Beach VH Fan
09-06-2009, 03:54 PM
I watched Def Lep on the Download Festival on VH1 Classic the other day...

You're right, Elliott has a real hard time nowadays hitting the high notes, much like most of the other 50 year old singers....

Seshmeister
09-06-2009, 08:02 PM
Well at least that means he isn't miming...

Nickdfresh
09-06-2009, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't know for sure, but I believe Elliot may never have hit the high notes all that well night-after-night...

indeedido
09-06-2009, 11:55 PM
He's always been a product of the studio. Without the effects and pitch shifting, he can't do it live.

Alex Mogilny
09-07-2009, 01:35 AM
You're a fag. Why go see a band in 2009 that hasn't written a decent song since 1981? How many songs did they play from 'on through the night' and 'high and dry', one?

GreenBayLA
09-07-2009, 02:36 AM
LOL Alex. DL died for me with Steve Clarke.

atomicpunk5151
09-08-2009, 03:27 PM
You're a fag. Why go see a band in 2009 that hasn't written a decent song since 1981? How many songs did they play from 'on through the night' and 'high and dry', one?

You came out of the woodwork for that? lol...

Your right about the early albums being much better then the later pop shit.

BTW did you ever give LOU a copy of the soundboard (audio) from VH 1981?

THEDOCTOR
09-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Hm I saw DL on the Hysteria tour twice and he did a mighty fine job. Saw them a few years back and two things sucked ass.
His vocals
and the the fact that Former Dio SHREDDER Vivian Campbell left his balls in Whitesnake when he left them. No offense to Phil Colin,but damn, PC totally put him to shame ripping during the solo section, while VC was just....lame-o.
As far as CC Deville? He is what he is, he has ALWAYS snuck in a bit of Eruption. He's just fun to watch ham it up live.

sonrisa salvaje
09-08-2009, 04:57 PM
I saw the Hysteria tour twice as well and Joe hit all the notes at will. His voice is a lot worse than most of the 50 year old singers of his genre. I don't know what happened. Then again, if i had to sing songs from Adrenalize every night my voice would quit too.

Terry
09-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Hm I saw DL on the Hysteria tour twice and he did a mighty fine job. Saw them a few years back and two things sucked ass.
His vocals
and the the fact that Former Dio SHREDDER Vivian Campbell left his balls in Whitesnake when he left them. No offense to Phil Colin,but damn, PC totally put him to shame ripping during the solo section, while VC was just....lame-o.
As far as CC Deville? He is what he is, he has ALWAYS snuck in a bit of Eruption. He's just fun to watch ham it up live.

Saw Lep and Journey in 2006, and had the same type of reaction.

At that show, the songs were arranged in such a way that Elliot was actually able to avoid even having to try and hit any high notes (example: the scream at the end of Photograph - the band actually stopped the song right after Elliot sings "I want to touch you" and went right into another tune).

Also agreed that Vivian Campbell being in that band is a waste of his talent and abilities. I mean, to see that guy, who used to fucking BLAZE with Dio (in both songwriting AND playing) back in the day, choosing to be second fiddle to Phil Collen...fucking disgrace. I presume the money he's making with them must be pretty good to willingly subjugate his talents.

kwame k
09-08-2009, 10:10 PM

Me too.....I was lucky enough to see the Hysteria tour and Tesla opened for them. Great show and after Steve died the band really put out mediocre shit.

Diamondjimi
09-08-2009, 10:56 PM

Leppard lost all ass kickin cred. when they kicked Pete Willis to the curb...

Matt White
09-08-2009, 11:21 PM
HA!!! Saw the PYROMANIA tour...and KROKUS opened....enough DL for me

sadaist
09-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Missed Cheap trick as we were still in the parking lot doing some "pre-game".

That's too bad. Cheap Trick is one of the best live bands I have ever seen. Glad you enjoyed Def Lep. Thanks for the review.

sadaist
09-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Me too.....I was lucky enough to see the Hysteria tour and Tesla opened for them. Great show and after Steve died the band really put out mediocre shit.

Me too! Still ranks as one of my tops 5 shows ever. In the round was just way to cool of an idea. After Hysteria I just can't really enjoy any of the albums. A song here or there, but that's it. I swear I wore Pyromania out once on vinyl, 2 cassettes, and currently on my 3rd cd.

Va Beach VH Fan
09-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Me too! Still ranks as one of my tops 5 shows ever.

Wow, really ??

Just curious, what shows are below theirs in your view ??

sonrisa salvaje
09-09-2009, 05:29 PM
It is a shame. Back at the time Hysteria came out and through the end of that tour, it was really a big deal to see Leppard. In retrospect, it is somehow tainted due to what they have become since. As Roth would say...born today, gone late today.

kwame k
09-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Me too! Still ranks as one of my tops 5 shows ever. In the round was just way to cool of an idea. After Hysteria I just can't really enjoy any of the albums. A song here or there, but that's it. I swear I wore Pyromania out once on vinyl, 2 cassettes, and currently on my 3rd cd.

In the round was cool for it's time, it had been done before but was still cool. Jesus, we used to joke about how many copies of Pyromania you wore out. 3 cassettes for me, 1 vinyl and 1 CD.

Master Yoda
09-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Gay since day1 Lep has been. What kind of faggoty nonsense Hello America is like to know I would. Faggoty gayboy.

Nickdfresh
09-09-2009, 10:40 PM
...What kind of faggoty nonsense Hello America is like to know I would. Faggoty gayboy.

I'm sure you would, and do, GAyR...

sadaist
09-10-2009, 01:08 AM
Wow, really ??

Just curious, what shows are below theirs in your view ??

I'm only speaking of the In-The-Round show. First time seeing Def Leppard. They were coming back from a looooong hiatus and recording process. They played all but 2 songs from Pyromania, and only 2 from the new album (Hysteria). The album I had been wearing out for four years finally got almost a full live performance. The group of friends I was with at the time.

Shows below that?

Van Hagar, Ozzy, Metallica (except on Master Of Puppets tour), Ratt, Crue, Whitesnake, Billy Idol, Megadeth, Rolling Stones (except for Qualcomm Stadium in the rain), Guns & Roses, U2, Yes, Great White..............

Lots. Shows that are in my top 5 are ones where I love almost all the songs, the crowd & atmosphere is electric, some aspect of the show makes it unique (in the round, 1 armed drummers first tour, in the rain, headlining epic festival, people you are with, etc...), unexpected reunion (VH, The Police, Journey w/Steve Perry).

Not so much of the band playing perfect and sounding exactly like the cd. Just many, many things to the experience and this particular show had a lot of them come together for me personally. Really stands out as an epic night and one that I will remember for a long time.

Master Yoda
09-10-2009, 05:14 AM
I'm sure you would, and do, GAyR...

Very intelligent comment. Hmmmph. Medidate on this I will. BIAAATCH!!

Seshmeister
09-10-2009, 10:17 AM
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee43/Seshmeister/RickAllen.jpg :D

Va Beach VH Fan
09-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Shows below that?

Van Hagar, Ozzy, Metallica (except on Master Of Puppets tour), Ratt, Crue, Whitesnake, Billy Idol, Megadeth, Rolling Stones (except for Qualcomm Stadium in the rain), Guns & Roses, U2, Yes, Great White..............

Interesting list... I can definitely see Van Hagarita on that list... Metallica is the one that sticks out, but I understand your reasonings behind it....

Nickdfresh
09-11-2009, 01:11 AM
Very intelligent comment. Hmmmph. Medidate on this I will. BIAAATCH!!

Right, Indian pedophile in Scotland....