X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atomicpunk5151
    Head Fluffer
    • Aug 2004

Def Leppard concert review 9/3/09

MY wife and a bunch of her friends went to DL. I went along to drink and hang out with a couple people from back in the day as well. Full house with 15,000+, even the grass was packed.

Joe Elliot had a pretty tough night vocal wise. His voice was very low in the mix as well.

They dropped Cmon Cmon from the set, maybe to tough to sing? So there was no new material. They also added MLLAM, I haven't seen that on many setlists so far.

Overall fun show with ther usual hits and crowd sing alongs. Both Phil & Viv were loud in the mix, so nice guitar work.

Poison was ok. CC still can barely play. Even did a bit of EVH eruption that wasn't pretty during his solo.

Missed Cheap trick as we were still in the parking lot doing some "pre-game".
  • atomicpunk5151
    Head Fluffer
    • Aug 2004

couple of small pics
    Attached Files

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

I watched Def Lep on the Download Festival on VH1 Classic the other day...

You're right, Elliott has a real hard time nowadays hitting the high notes, much like most of the other 50 year old singers....
      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Well at least that means he isn't miming...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I wouldn't know for sure, but I believe Elliot may never have hit the high notes all that well night-after-night...

Comment

• indeedido
            Veteran
            • Feb 2004

He's always been a product of the studio. Without the effects and pitch shifting, he can't do it live.
            This space for rent.

Comment

• Alex Mogilny
              Head Fluffer
              • Apr 2004

You're a fag. Why go see a band in 2009 that hasn't written a decent song since 1981? How many songs did they play from 'on through the night' and 'high and dry', one?

Comment

• GreenBayLA
                Sniper
                • Jan 2006

LOL Alex. DL died for me with Steve Clarke.
                "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Comment

• atomicpunk5151
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Alex Mogilny
                  You're a fag. Why go see a band in 2009 that hasn't written a decent song since 1981? How many songs did they play from 'on through the night' and 'high and dry', one?
                  You came out of the woodwork for that? lol...

Your right about the early albums being much better then the later pop shit.

BTW did you ever give LOU a copy of the soundboard (audio) from VH 1981?

Comment

• THEDOCTOR
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Mar 2009

Hm I saw DL on the Hysteria tour twice and he did a mighty fine job. Saw them a few years back and two things sucked ass.
                    His vocals
                    and the the fact that Former Dio SHREDDER Vivian Campbell left his balls in Whitesnake when he left them. No offense to Phil Colin,but damn, PC totally put him to shame ripping during the solo section, while VC was just....lame-o.
                    As far as CC Deville? He is what he is, he has ALWAYS snuck in a bit of Eruption. He's just fun to watch ham it up live.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                      Veteran
                      • Jun 2005

I saw the Hysteria tour twice as well and Joe hit all the notes at will. His voice is a lot worse than most of the 50 year old singers of his genre. I don't know what happened. Then again, if i had to sing songs from Adrenalize every night my voice would quit too.
                      RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                      LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by THEDOCTOR
                        Hm I saw DL on the Hysteria tour twice and he did a mighty fine job. Saw them a few years back and two things sucked ass.
                        His vocals
                        and the the fact that Former Dio SHREDDER Vivian Campbell left his balls in Whitesnake when he left them. No offense to Phil Colin,but damn, PC totally put him to shame ripping during the solo section, while VC was just....lame-o.
                        As far as CC Deville? He is what he is, he has ALWAYS snuck in a bit of Eruption. He's just fun to watch ham it up live.

Saw Lep and Journey in 2006, and had the same type of reaction.

At that show, the songs were arranged in such a way that Elliot was actually able to avoid even having to try and hit any high notes (example: the scream at the end of Photograph - the band actually stopped the song right after Elliot sings "I want to touch you" and went right into another tune).

Also agreed that Vivian Campbell being in that band is a waste of his talent and abilities. I mean, to see that guy, who used to fucking BLAZE with Dio (in both songwriting AND playing) back in the day, choosing to be second fiddle to Phil Collen...fucking disgrace. I presume the money he's making with them must be pretty good to willingly subjugate his talents.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• kwame k
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by GreenBayLA
                          Me too.....I was lucky enough to see the Hysteria tour and Tesla opened for them. Great show and after Steve died the band really put out mediocre shit.
                          Originally posted by vandeleur
                          E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2004

Originally posted by Alex Mogilny
                            Originally posted by GreenBayLA

Leppard lost all ass kickin cred. when they kicked Pete Willis to the curb...
                            Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Matt White
                              • Jun 2004

HA!!! Saw the PYROMANIA tour...and KROKUS opened....enough DL for me

Comment

Working...