• Show
Clear All
  • Little Texan
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Water discovered on the moon

Link

Missions find evidence of water on the moon

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Three separate missions examining the moon have found clear evidence of water there, apparently concentrated at the poles and possibly formed by the solar wind.

The reports, to be published in the journal Science on Friday, show the water may be actively moving around, forming and reforming as particles mixed up in the dust on the surface of the moon.

Carle Pieters of Brown University in Rhode Island and colleagues reviewed data from India's Chandrayaan-1 mission -- India's first mission to the moon -- and found spectrographic evidence of water. The water seems thicker closer to the poles, they reported.

"When we say 'water on the moon,' we are not talking about lakes, oceans or even puddles. Water on the moon means molecules of water and hydroxyl (hydrogen and oxygen) that interact with molecules of rock and dust specifically in the top millimeters of the moon's surface," Pieters said in a statement.

Jessica Sunshine of the University of Maryland and colleagues used infrared mapping from the Deep Impact spacecraft to show water all over the moon, while Roger Clark of the U.S. Geological Survey and colleagues used a spectrometer -- which breaks down light waves to analyze elements and chemicals reflecting them -- from the Cassini spacecraft to identify water.

"These reports of lunar surface water coincide with intense interest in water at the poles of the Moon," Paul Lucey of the University of Hawaii, who was not involved in the research, wrote in a commentary.

"There may be much 'wetter' regions to be discovered far from the sites that have been sampled to date," Lucey added.

"It is also possible that rare water-bearing minerals previously observed in lunar samples, but argued to be terrestrial contamination, might be indigenous. Perhaps the most valuable result of these new observations is that they prompt a critical reexamination of the notion that the Moon is dry. It is not."

Next month, NASA's Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite or LCROSS mission will try to detect water by deliberately crashing a large spacecraft onto the moon.
  • Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Exciting news if reserves are substantial and naturally regenerative !
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Water? Swell. Wake me up when the find beer or that weird alien base that's supposed to be up there.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Coyote
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Cool. Just tell NASA to stop airbrushing the pictures...
        Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• standin
          Veteran
          • Apr 2009

<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XdIeFyPy3Ks&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe8 7a9f&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XdIeFyPy3Ks&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe8 7a9f&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object>

To put it simply, we need to worry a lot less about how to communicate our actions and much more about what our actions communicate.
          MICHAEL G. MULLEN

Comment

• Anonymous
            Banned
            • May 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
            Water? Swell. Wake me up when the find beer or that weird alien base that's supposed to be up there.
            Water is important. It's used on most alcoholic drinks.

Water is a good start.

But please, no alien shit.

This God bullshit is more than enough, we don't need to believe in hyper-advanced races that can travel through space & time coming to Earth just to pile some rocks on top of other rocks in a square cone motif.

Unless, of course, they're members of the Society to Put Things on Top of Other Things.

That would explain it.

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
              Or they could use the moon water to make beer?

Might make all the difference... both the now defunct Olympia Brewery and the Fish Tales microbrewery swear by their Artesian well water. Coors claims their Rocky Mountain water makes it better (though I would dispute that one)

Maybe moon water would produce some great micro brews?

NASA IPA? Apollo Stout? Moonbeam Porter?
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Coyote
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                Or they could use the moon water to make beer?

Might make all the difference... both the now defunct Olympia Brewery and the Fish Tales microbrewery swear by their Artesian well water. Coors claims their Rocky Mountain water makes it better (though I would dispute that one)

Maybe moon water would produce some great micro brews?

NASA IPA? Apollo Stout? Moonbeam Porter?
                Fuck that, let's try making some Lunar Moonshine™!

"It'll put you in orbit!"©®
                Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Comment

• thome
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Mar 2005

Are there still ZOMBIES!@!@@@@ the MOON...?

I pissed behinD a moon rock one time...with Beaver and Buttmunch, the cartoon tv starts.
                  Life is just a breeze blowing thru the trees.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
                    Fuck that, let's try making some Lunar Moonshine™!

"It'll put you in orbit!"©®
                    I wonder how lower gravitational pull effect the operation of a still?
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Coyote
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                      I wonder how lower gravitational pull effect the operation of a still?
                      Most likely it'll take a little bit more time, but the hangover should be outta this world...

Comment

• Anonymous
                        Banned
                        • May 2004

Ok, I'll bite... noone else seems to want to be the sacrificed - though Coyote IS making an effort - so I'll take one for the team.

Hey, how about growing some weed up there?

Then you could smoke it and get SPACED OUT!

Dear Gawd, what a horrible joke...

Comment

• Coyote
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Imapus_Sylicker
                          Ok, I'll bite... noone else seems to want to be the sacrificed - though Coyote IS making an effort - so I'll take one for the team.

Hey, how about growing some weed up there?

Then you could smoke it and get SPACED OUT!

Dear Gawd, what a horrible joke...

Y'know... I'd take a toke.
                          Last edited by Coyote; 09-24-2009, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Imapus_Sylicker
                            Water is important. It's used on most alcoholic drinks.

Water is a good start.

But please, no alien shit.

This God bullshit is more than enough, we don't need to believe in hyper-advanced races that can travel through space & time coming to Earth just to pile some rocks on top of other rocks in a square cone motif.

Unless, of course, they're members of the Society to Put Things on Top of Other Things.

That would explain it.

I've heard of that society. A bunch of fucking weirdos if you ask me.

Comment

• Anonymous
                              Banned
                              • May 2004

Not true good sir, not true.

Why, I, myself, am a proud, long-standing member of said society.

Hence my remark that it would explain, even justify, the fact that a vastly advanced race would travel quadrillions of miles just to put things on top of other things.

It is a noble and fine art.

I have, this year alone, put no fewer than 925 things on top of other things, substantially reducing, in my area, the number of things not on top of other things.

Of course that is not counting the times I put myself, as it were, on top of other things. Or other things on top of me.

Last edited by Anonymous; 09-24-2009, 10:18 PM. Reason: Removed the object joke. Was a bit harsh. :p

Comment

Working...