Music from "1984" Performed at U-M/MSU Game Today!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VH Drummer
    Roadie
    • May 2009

Music from "1984" Performed at U-M/MSU Game Today!

I just got back from the game which was a bit of a heartbreaker, but Michigan made it interesting at the end and had a chance to win, so I really can't complain; plus the atmosphere was awesome.

But anyway, during halftime, the University of Michigan's marching band came onto the field (with boos so loud I could hardly think) and they played three cuts from "1984": "Jump," "Panama," and "Hot for Teacher." It was very interesting hearing a marching band take on those songs. Perhaps the coolest part though was that their formation while playing was the Van Halen logo! The band was formed along the field as the =VH= logo playing those songs.

That was just something cool I thought I'd pass along; so 70,000 people were exposed to Van Halen today.
    2012: 2/10 The Darkness, 2/20 Van Halen, 3/3 The Black Keys
  • VAiN
    Use my hand, I won't look
    ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Nice! That's too cool... If they had more time, they would have formed a big fat 0 and played 'When it's Love'
    Originally posted by wiseguy
    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• what waz zat
      Roadie
      • Jan 2004

That's very cool. I'm surprised it was the Michigan band doing it...seems like something that MSU might do.

Comment

• VH Drummer
        Roadie
        • May 2009

Is that a patch in your signature? Where did you come across that? I've been looking for a VH patch for a coat I have forever.

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

Fucking A!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YnXpGeLG9fs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YnXpGeLG9fs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• VH Drummer
            Roadie
            • May 2009

Yup! I was on the 15-yard line in the student section (upper right section in white). I couldn't see it very well from my view but this is great!

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by VH Drummer
              Yup! I was on the 15-yard line in the student section (upper right section in white). I couldn't see it very well from my view but this is great!

When I first saw the thread title, I figured you meant during a time out over the PA system. Which teams do all the time. This is awesome though. Hopefully a more complete clip will make Youtube with sound.

BTW, was Eddie on Tuba?
              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• steve
                Sniper
                • Feb 2004

Halftime performace link

YouTube - 9 19 2009 Van Halen Halftime Show
                here's the whole performance, the drum intro to Hot For Teacher is impressive!

Comment

• VH Drummer
                  Roadie
                  • May 2009

I couldn't hear it very well because of all the boos so I could only makes out the choruses.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Dec 2003

That was great !!!!
                    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• VAiN
                      Use my hand, I won't look
                      ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Very cool!! I love how there's a noticeable CVH resurgence lately!
                      Originally posted by wiseguy
                      That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• vaijuju
                        Sniper
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by steve
                        YouTube - 9 19 2009 Van Halen Halftime Show
                        here's the whole performance, the drum intro to Hot For Teacher is impressive!
                        cool! at the end "a la vida" coldplay
                        http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2004

FUCKIN EH! I CAN'T BELIEVE I MISSED THAT! BOTH THAT MARCHING BAND AND MSU BEATING THE SHIT OUT OF U of M!

Comment

• High Life Man
                            Commando
                            • Jan 2004

I hate halftime shows.

Tributes to Boz Scaggs or showtunes. Gay.

Comment

• VH Drummer
                              Roadie
                              • May 2009

Originally posted by deero
                              Why did they BOO them? Was Dave(as Head Drum Major) out of step or something? That would be a super job for Dave--HEAD Drum Major!!
                              Because of the bitter hatred between MSU and U-M. When the U-M marching band performed before the game, the MSU student section turned its back from the field.

Comment

Working...