X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Okay, Who Bought Windows 7?

I did (back in September - arrived today)

Looks like a bad apple to me. Right lame joke. But this can't be any worse than that abomination before the Lord that is/was Vista. Actually, I like what I experienced from using the RC back in summer but as with all Micro$oft products I'm expecting a few bugs but, hey, IT'S NOT VISTA!

So has anyone else been a consumer fool and purchased this?
    Last edited by Kristy; 10-20-2009, 04:51 PM.
  • Coyote
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

I'm still trying to figure out the inner works in Ubuntu...
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Well as long as you remember to stay away from Best Buy's "Geek Squad" you'll be okay.

Comment

• Coyote
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Should be easy, since there's no Best Buy in Funland...

Good buys are abundant, since it's a part of etiquette.
        Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

My Nokia phone crashes about 5 times a day...

Comment

• letsrock
            Veteran
            • Mar 2007

If you want Vista use Enterprise. All other Vista versions are raped version of the Enterprise, get it you will love it.

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I didn't buy Windows 7. But I do have a copy.

Short answer - W7 is to Vista what XP was to Windows 2000, or Win98 was to Win95.

If you have an existing Vista system, it's definitely worth the upgrade. If you're looking for a new PC, definitely wait until the W7 installed machines are in stock. If you're still using XP with your existing older hardware, you'll probably want to keep it. W7 would probably run slower than XP, and you can't directly upgrade on top of XP anyway, so you would have to back up your data, wipe the drive and start over, even if you wanted to.

Considering how fast Micro$oft turned out Vista SP1, SP2, and now W7 all within 2 years (compared to the 5 year gap between Windows XP and the initial Vista release) it's obvious that Billy & the boys know they fucked up big time, and can't wait to leave the Vista fiasco behind them once and for all. (even though a direct upgrade path for XP users might have helped, in that respect)

The one thing I haven't been able to do yet in W7 when I tested it was to get it to work with my USB digital tuner. It will get the over the air antenna channels (in theory, since I don't have an antenna) but not the QAM channels on cable, despite the fact that Microsoft advertises native QAM capabilities in the new OS. Oh well, the software that came with the tuner still does that job, even in XP, so no big loss there.

When I buy a new machine, I'll probably go with W7, but I'm not in any hurry.

And as always, whichever version of Windows you run, know how to turn off the useless crap that will only slow your PC down, and do nothing at all useful for you.....

Black Viper's Web Site
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Fairwrning
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                Well as long as you remember to stay away from Best Buy's "Geek Squad" you'll be okay.
                I bought my laptop there 2 months ago..got a free W7 upgrade. Are you saying I shouldnt take it back to let them install...?

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

They should have named it "Bad Apple". My cousin works for Microsoft and says the company has gotten sloppy because it has too much money and can afford to make lots of mistakes. She also says the infighting there is increadable. She hates the company but is making six figures there so she's staying put but hates Microsoft and constantly bad mouths it. She calls herself a Microsoft whore. LOL!
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Coyote
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

My Nokia phone crashes about 5 times a day...
                    Well, stop throwing it around!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                      Well as long as you remember to stay away from Best Buy's "Geek Squad" you'll be.
                      No shit! Stay far away from those hacking, virus installing fuckstains. I have a friend whose computer keeps having a texting box opening up for a Geek Squad tech to communicate with. Her idiot ex-boyfriend took it to them to have it "fixed," but refused to pay over $100 to those cockbags. I solved 90% of her problems by correcting a failed update patch install -- there had been no Vista updates since June of 08 I think, which caused it to be massively unstable and buggy, but I got it up to date. Mostly its fine, but the gay GS text box keeps popping up everytime its turned on...

As for Windows7, waiting to get a new 'puter and for them to work out the 968 bugs in the system.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                        I didn't buy Windows 7. But I do have a copy.

Short answer - W7 is to Vista what XP was to Windows 2000, or Win98 was to Win95.

If you have an existing Vista system, it's definitely worth the upgrade. If you're looking for a new PC, definitely wait until the W7 installed machines are in stock....
                        They're just coming on the shelf now...

And I never even bothered getting Vista for my current laptop...
                        Last edited by Nickdfresh; 10-20-2009, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2004

I was able to get a free W7 upgrade after I purchased my HP desktop a few weeks ago. I should be getting it in the mail a couple of weeks from now.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Feb 2005

I also have W7 but have yet to buy it. Have not bothered installing it on any machine (I have 5 plus my laptop, only 2 and my laptop meet the specs to run it).

I do want it, and I will buy it. As I am an extremely small OEM, I still qualify for OEM pricing.

$140 bucks is not bad for the pro version.

I am an XP guru, learning how to tweak the fucking thing to death, so I could get maximum horsepower for my limited fundage.....I figure I am always about 25% of the cutting edge as far as the speed and power of my main machine.

Right now I have a Phenom X4, 4 gigs of ram on a SATA rig. Thing runs really well.
                            The machine WILL obey the Master!

PERIOD! END OF FUCKING STORY!

So I am not in any great hurry to buy Win7. Even when I do buy it, I want to wait for awhile to install it, as I want a lot of the initial bugs to get worked out, etc.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
                              Well, stop throwing it around!
                              I think he puts in on vibrate and shoves it up his ass and hopes someone calls.
                              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...