• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Train
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

7 Months after Stimulus 49 of 50 states have lost jobs

House Committee on Ways & Means - Republican

To pull a Ford, it IS a Republican thing, but it IS also from the Ways and Means. Numbers are numbers...

7 Months After Stimulus 49 of 50 States Have Lost Jobs
    America Now Over 6 Million Jobs Shy of Administration's Projections
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The table below compares the White House's February 2009 projection of the number of jobs that would be created by the 2009 stimulus law (through the end of 2010) with the actual change in state payroll employment through September 2009 (the latest figures available). According to the data, 49 States and the District of Columbia have lost jobs since stimulus was enacted. Only North Dakota has seen net job creation following the February 2009 stimulus. While President Obama claimed the result of his stimulus bill would be the creation of 3.5 million jobs, the Nation has already lost a total of 2.7 million – a difference of 6.2 million jobs. To see how stimulus has failed your state, see the table below.
    Last edited by Big Train; 10-21-2009, 05:13 PM.
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

If the stimulus "failed", it's because the Repukes gutted it before it passed.

Reality is that most of this economic damage was already done last year, and some of the employers (greedy Repuke bastards that they are) held off on dropping the ax until after January 20 so they could blame it on a Democratic administration. All the jobs that got cut in late January and February? How transparent can you get?
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Guitar Shark
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
      While President Obama claimed the result of his stimulus bill would be the creation of 3.5 million jobs, the Nation has already lost a total of 2.7 million – a difference of 6.2 million jobs.
      I'm pretty confident the claim was that the stimulus package would either create new jobs or retain existing jobs that would otherwise have been lost. So the above statement seems highly misleading to me.
      ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
      Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
        Lame argument made even lamer by continued use of the "Repuke" term.
        ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
        Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Mushroom
          Commando
          • Jul 2009

the White House's February 2009 projection... (through the end of 2010)
          We still have time. the "Stimulus Package" wasn't only for saving jobs, but also investing in the future (education, infrastructure)

Comment

• Big Train
            Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
            I'm pretty confident the claim was that the stimulus package would either create new jobs or retain existing jobs that would otherwise have been lost. So the above statement seems highly misleading to me.
            So maybe it should read "lost and/or failed to retain existing jobs".

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Here was our two choices:

Choice A) Let the banks and corporations fail. This would have taken the commercial real estate sector with it. The result would be huge job losses overnight, empty shells of commercial real estate all over. General Motors would be out of business. This would result in lot of angry people and probably lot's of civil unrest and riots. Then the survivors would come in and rebuild the economy (in theory).

Choice B) The taxpayer bails out the losers. The stimulus package. We avoid overnight mass job loses and lose jobs at a slower pace. Taxes go up substantially. The govt. runs failing businesses. This lessens the pain but prolongs it. Hopefully you die early so the tax burdon is on your kids and grandkids.

It was all a decision on what type of fucking we get. Hard, quick, and violent or slow and prolonged.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Big Train
                Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Disagree. Looking at the numbers, we got both with or without the bailout.

Since the banks basically hoarded it anyway, we just gave away a shitload of money, got the job losses and are now getting the higher taxes.

The banks that were well positioned (i.e. Wells Fargo) swallowed up assests (Wachovia) dirt cheap and offered to return the money because the restrictions were too onerous. The poorly positioned ones (i.e Bof A) took the beating they were supposed to.

GM SHOULD have gone out of business. The TARP money would have been much better spent investing in new domestic automakers (i.e. Tesla) rather than trying to keep an old one with a toxic balance sheet going. Essentially they tried to do that with banks and automakers (clean the balance sheets Something that would advance his agenda (i.e. climate) and have created jobs.

NONE of it created jobs.
                Last edited by Big Train; 10-21-2009, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

All it did was slow the job loses and keep the economy going a bit. The banks were the big winners. How would you like it if you could speculate wildly and if you win, you keep the money and if you lose the taxpayer pays for your loses? The banks can intimidate people because they own everybody and everything. Big bullies they are.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Disagree. Looking at the numbers, we got both with or without the bailout.

Since the banks basically hoarded it anyway, we just gave away a shitload of money, got the job losses and are now getting the higher taxes.

The banks that were well positioned (i.e. Wells Fargo) swallowed up assests (Wachovia) dirt cheap and offered to return the money because the restrictions were too onerous. The poorly positioned ones (i.e Bof A) took the beating they were supposed to.

GM SHOULD have gone out of business. The TARP money would have been much better spent investing in new domestic automakers (i.e. Tesla) rather than trying to keep an old one with a toxic balance sheet going. Essentially they tried to do that with banks and automakers (clean the balance sheets Something that would advance his agenda (i.e. climate) and have created jobs.

NONE of it created jobs.
                    The Stimulus has retrenched jobs from one sector to another. For instance, construction workers that would have been laid off early working for home contractors are now working on projects being funded. Secondly, relatively little of the TARP has been spent as of yet and the economy is in the beginnings of a recovery.

And would the gutting of GM to fund a niche electric sports car company have only destroyed more jobs? Especially when GM is set to release a small car (The Chevy Cruz) that is far more refined than the dated, last generation Astra Cobalt/Pontiac G5 econobox they'd been schilling. BTW, the Cruz also may reportedly get 44 miles per gallon with a conventional gasoline (turbocharged) engine. Better than most hybrids!

Comment

• Big Train
                      Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

The "retrenched" jobs part is debatable given the overall job losses (See the other thread for the numbers). The projects being funded for the most part aren't even underway yet and have been dribbling out, as you said, so it's not as is the mass of workers in any industry has seen a benefit thus far.

A niche car company with technology being licensed to several major automakers (Daimler who recently bought a 10% stake) a new "common man" EV, a clean balance sheet (with investment, which would be attractive with government matching dollars, to hire workers and buy idle plants) and a willing worker base ready to rock, I don't understand what holding up GM did but cost a lot of money for very little bang in return.

Comment

• sadaist
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by FORD

It was nearly a Trillion dollars. How is that "gutted"?
                        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark

The whole problem with the entire "retain existing jobs" argument is there is absolutely no way to account for that. It's like measuring with units of smiles/joy/hope. Sounds great, but no way to prove success...and no way to disprove it.
                          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                            The whole problem with the entire "retain existing jobs" argument is there is absolutely no way to account for that. It's like measuring with units of smiles/joy/hope. Sounds great, but no way to prove success...and no way to disprove it.
                            There's no way to get hard numbers as to how many jobs were saved where. But just about every mainstream economist believes that the Stimulus efforts prevented an even worse recession and shortened things...

Comment

• Big Train
                              Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Which must mean that there was no way to accurately project those job saving numbers in the first place...which makes it bullshit, no?

Comment

Working...