X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GAR
    Banned
    • Jan 2004

Why is Steve Vai so pretentious?

Can someone - anyone tel me: Why is Steve Vai so pretentious?

He had something to do with the new "Where the Wild Things Are" movie, which I hated.

That whole storyline got fucked up. The main character Max got turned into a mental-case latchkey kid who actually runs away from home instead of dreaming about it.

That wasn't how the story went. If I was doing music for that I'd bail on the project, cuz that's fucking with people's heads I wouldn't want on my conscience (didn't bother the author though, he was listed as a "consultant.")

So I checked his website to see what he'd actually assisted to disaccomplish for the film, and reading just a little bit caused my supper to become slightly dislodged in my gut and could stomach no further bullshitting.

So long story shortened: could someone tell me what in fuck this guy's done that is so badassed, so very-well-versed.. something that one could point at to verify his greatness and goodness?

First of all: if you ever tried to talk to the guy, he has no sense of humor and he's supposed to be this lighthearted, regular-guy funnyman/musician. I've had lunch with Eric Clapton and THERE is a dude who will keep you in stitches every ten seconds.. I think Vai is pathetic.

Secunt of all: this whole alien-theme bullshit, way too pretentious.. Eric Clapton is all about pretentions, but he I can stomach because he'll let you in it's all a joke. But not Little Stevie Vai, he's like the energizer bunny just goin and goin on with it. Yawn, okay? Big yawn there dudesky.

Third: I wonder why Sammy Hagar didn't hire him instead of his one-time guitar tutor Joe Satriani because both Vai and Hagar got that whole Alien Abductee/Contactee thing goin' on. Was Vai asked to do the Chickenstick thing? Is Satrianis' career so much worser than Vai (or White Golds' for that matter) that he had to felch out his services with Hagar - if so that sucked. It also sucks that Vai has a shard of career left in him that he didn't initiate hitting up Hagar in the first place, when Satriani is so much more entertaining.

Lastly: When Vai takes a photo op, why must he always suck in his cheeks? Does his chick always fart when throwing the flash down or what? Does his amp fart worse that he sucks in his cheeks from embarrassment?

I defy anyone to throw out proof this guy Vai is still a virtuoso. He played masterful air guitar in a scene from the movie "Crossroads" in a crucial climax, and in my mind that doesn't qualify as the making moment to carry you for a lifetime.

AND I also defy anyone to find proof this guy still rocks. I have not like him since about 1988... I thought Flex-Able which I liked was never followed through with, since he joined a slew of 80s pop bands, which sold the soul of his creativity. Evident of this, is he hasn't made a decent disc since, and that's not okay.

In summary, Steve Vai is a big bore. And given such an exciting instrument to supposedly "master" and come up lacking substance, a big pretencious BORE.
    Last edited by GAR; 10-24-2009, 03:10 AM.
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

I think Vai is one of those Orion/Sirrus UFO cult dudes. Look at his logo. Yeah it's got the all seeing eye and pyramid shapes. These people claim to be visited by alliens who are going to restore a New Atlantis and a New Age. Many in Hollywood believe this shit and they love to name things Orion (Orion Pictures, Tri-Star Pictures ect.) Regarding this New Age stuff, some people in it seem decent and others are like it's another flavor of Satanism and they are fucked in the head.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Vai's radio show is ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz as well. Satriani is ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz and looks like a geek wad so he fits nicely into Sammy's clan. I guess Vai and adorn his Zorro mask and be one with the mother ship in 2012 and become an enlightened light being.

Comment

• jackassrock
        Head Fluffer
        • Sep 2004

It's easy to take yourself way too seriously when you are in the spotlight. You've got people telling you how fuckin' great you are all the time, and you are inclined to agree with them. I whole heartedly agree with your assesment of him BTW, aside from a decent tune here and there he hasn't done anything cool since EEAS. He does at least have a style and sound that are unmistakably his own, no small feat in the rock and roll world. I bet you could pick his playing out of a lineup easier that Satriani's.

That being said, I would listen to Flexable over anything by Clapton any fucking day of the week.
        It's a shame that families should be torn apart by something as simple as....wild dogs

Comment

• lesfunk
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I don't know from Vai and his weirdness. I don't follow his music. I always thought he was a pretty serious player though. I wouldn't want to have to follow him and Bissionette around on bass. It could get embarassing
          http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• twonabomber
            formerly F A T
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

GAR doesn't like Vai because Vai is making a living in the music industry, and GAR isn't.
            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• letsrock
              Veteran
              • Mar 2007

Well does all this mean that old man Zappa was a bore? He had Steve for awhile.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by letsrock
                Well does all this mean that old man Zappa was a bore? He had Steve for awhile.
                Zappa was a master of the wierd. Vai is a wannabe. He is technically good but in a real artistic sense ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz. I would rather go to the dentist and have a root canal than see Steve Vai.

Comment

• bueno bob
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

Steve Vai is the kiss of death for everything he touches.

Zappa? Eh.
                  Alcatrazz? LOL
                  Roth? Down the toilet as a solo act.
                  Whitesnake? Broke up.
                  His own solo career? zzzzzzzzz

Most overrated guitarist ever.
                  Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

He would have never been in Zappa's band if he wasn't good technically but he has no magic. I've never been blown away by Vai. Ever. I never got that "Holly Shit! This is Wonderful!" from him. He has never given me goose bumps. I mean I just got done watching Billy Gibbons play some simple three chord blues and I'm going holly fuck he's brilliant. He can say more with three chords than Vai can say in a hurricane of note. Vai is like fucking a dead girl in the missionary position.

Comment

• Dr. Love
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                      Can someone - anyone tel me: Why is Steve Vai so pretentious?

He had something to do with the new "Where the Wild Things Are" movie, which I hated.

That whole storyline got fucked up. The main character Max got turned into a mental-case latchkey kid who actually runs away from home instead of dreaming about it.

That wasn't how the story went. If I was doing music for that I'd bail on the project, cuz that's fucking with people's heads I wouldn't want on my conscience (didn't bother the author though, he was listed as a "consultant.")

So I checked his website to see what he'd actually assisted to disaccomplish for the film, and reading just a little bit caused my supper to become slightly dislodged in my gut and could stomach no further bullshitting.

So long story shortened: could someone tell me what in fuck this guy's done that is so badassed, so very-well-versed.. something that one could point at to verify his greatness and goodness?

First of all: if you ever tried to talk to the guy, he has no sense of humor and he's supposed to be this lighthearted, regular-guy funnyman/musician. I've had lunch with Eric Clapton and THERE is a dude who will keep you in stitches every ten seconds.. I think Vai is pathetic.

Secunt of all: this whole alien-theme bullshit, way too pretentious.. Eric Clapton is all about pretentions, but he I can stomach because he'll let you in it's all a joke. But not Little Stevie Vai, he's like the energizer bunny just goin and goin on with it. Yawn, okay? Big yawn there dudesky.

Third: I wonder why Sammy Hagar didn't hire him instead of his one-time guitar tutor Joe Satriani because both Vai and Hagar got that whole Alien Abductee/Contactee thing goin' on. Was Vai asked to do the Chickenstick thing? Is Satrianis' career so much worser than Vai (or White Golds' for that matter) that he had to felch out his services with Hagar - if so that sucked. It also sucks that Vai has a shard of career left in him that he didn't initiate hitting up Hagar in the first place, when Satriani is so much more entertaining.

Lastly: When Vai takes a photo op, why must he always suck in his cheeks? Does his chick always fart when throwing the flash down or what? Does his amp fart worse that he sucks in his cheeks from embarrassment?

I defy anyone to throw out proof this guy Vai is still a virtuoso. He played masterful air guitar in a scene from the movie "Crossroads" in a crucial climax, and in my mind that doesn't qualify as the making moment to carry you for a lifetime.

AND I also defy anyone to find proof this guy still rocks. I have not like him since about 1988... I thought Flex-Able which I liked was never followed through with, since he joined a slew of 80s pop bands, which sold the soul of his creativity. Evident of this, is he hasn't made a decent disc since, and that's not okay.

In summary, Steve Vai is a big bore. And given such an exciting instrument to supposedly "master" and come up lacking substance, a big pretencious BORE.
                      you misspelled "pretentious"
                      I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• GAR
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jackassrock
                        That being said, I would listen to Flexable over anything by Clapton any fucking day of the week.
                        You got that right: that was done at a time he was still associated with Zappa and his influence. And was still in touch with his soul.

Comment

• GAR
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                          GAR doesn't like Vai because Vai is making a living in the music industry, and GAR isn't.
                          Is Vai still living in Chatsworth or what.. no he got a place overlooking the Cahuenga pass - sucking fumes off the 101 freeway isn't he?

Fuck that. I'll never live in Hollywood again.

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by bueno bob
                            Steve Vai is the kiss of death for everything he touches.

Zappa? Eh.
                            Alcatrazz? LOL
                            Roth? Down the toilet as a solo act.
                            Whitesnake? Broke up.
                            His own solo career? zzzzzzzzz

Most overrated guitarist ever.
                            I alrgely agree. However, 'Passion And Warfare' was an outstanding record....
                            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber

Mexican immigrants stole his studio janitor jobz...

Comment

Working...