X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

KANSAS - Live At The Stanley Theater, Pittsburgh, PA 12/2/75

I tell you what....thanks to goddam corporate radio, and the powers that be, the general public these days only knows of the band Kansas through their acoustic ballad "Dust In The Wind". Once in a great while something will break down in Radio Playlist Land and you MIGHT hear "Point Of No Return", or "Carry On My Wayward Son".

They don't make bands like this anymore.

Incredible musicianship. Amazing compositional powers.

Yngwie would allow himself to be ass-raped on Global Television if he could even dream of writing material that was half as good as what Kansas came up with.

So I have this bootleg I am listening to. The album Masque (their third) had only been out a couple of weeks when they played this show at the Stanley Theater in Pittsburgh, which was broadcast on the local FM station.

An absolutely stunning performance.

Everyone in the band was/is a world-class instrumentalist.

Their take on songwriting was not quite as pompous/bombastic/long-winded & 'lite" as a lot of the stuff Yes was putting out, but had a lot more leanings towards Hard Rock than Yes did also.

I have seen them a half-dozen times in my life, first time in Huntsville, AL in the fall of 1977 on the Point Of Know Return tour.

In this current environment of over-the-top prog bands, idiot/mindless Britney-pop, and shouter bands who base their entire image around pretending to be angry, evil, angst-ridden, frustrated, angry, mad and....(did I say Angry?) who all sound alike because all they do is fucking shout the lyrics so people will believe them to be "heavy", IT IS quite the relief to listen to actual Hard Rock Composers of the highest caliber.

I mean, what band these days comes up with stuff like "Mysteries And Mayhem/Pinnacle"?

NOBODY!

Thanks to Asso at Guitars101 for posting this:

Kansas - 1975-12-02 - Pittsburgh, PA
    (Pre-FM mp3@256)

Steve Walsh –Lead Vocals, Keyboards
    Kerry Livgren – Guitars, Keyboards
    Rich Williams –Lead Guitars
    Robby Steinhardt- Violin, Vocals
    Dave Hope –Bass Guitars
    Phil Ehart–Drums & Percussion

01 - Last Minute Soundcheck (1:39)
    02 - Songs For America (10:54)
    03 - Icarus-Borne On Wings Of Steel (6:23)
    04 - Down The Road (3:37)
    05 - Lonely Street (7:26)
    06 - Belexes Incl. Drum Solo (9:26)
    07 - Child Of Innocence (5:39)
    08 - Mysteries And Mayhem - The Pinnacle (16:26)
    09 - Bringing It Back (13:10)
    10 - It Takes A Woman's Love (4:27)

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 11-15-2009, 04:40 PM.
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UJOMliQFEFg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&co lor2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UJOMliQFEFg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&co lor2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Comment

Working...