X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Sting Thinks Simon Cowell is a Douche

Sting says Simon Cowell's only talent is 'self-promotion,' calls 'The X Factor' 'appalling'

By Joe Dziemianowicz
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Thursday, November 12th 2009, 1:10 PM
    Sting called a music competition series similar to 'American Idol' 'preposterous,' and said judges like Simon Cowell 'have no recogizable talent except for self-promotion.'
    AP/Getty
    Sting called a music competition series similar to 'American Idol' 'preposterous,' and said judges like Simon Cowell 'have no recogizable talent except for self-promotion.'

Rock star Sting has come out slugging against "X Factor," a hit British TV music competition that's often compared to "American Idol."

In an interview with London's Evening Standard, the singer's harsh words made it clear he can't stand any move "X" makes, any breath "X" takes.

In the story, done in support of his new album "If On a Winter's Night," Sting referred to "X Factor" as "televised karaoke," "preposterous" and "appalling."

The former Police frontman's icy comments came shortly after "X Factor" judge Simon Cowell — yes, that Simon Cowell, known in the U.S. as the caustic "American Idol" judge — came under fire for allegedly rigging results so the show would play better.

Thousands of angry fans renamed it the "Fix Factor."

Sting had his own description. "It is a soap opera which has nothing to do with music," he told the Evening Standard. "In fact, it has put music back decades. Television is very cynical."

The rocker expressed sympathy for the contestants. "I am sorry but none of those kids are going to go anywhere, and I say that sadly," he said. "They are humiliated when they get sent off. How appalling for a young person to feel that rejection."

In the same week Forbes proclaimed Cowell the highest paid man in television, Sting didn't hold back on his criticism for the judges, either. "The 'X Factor' is a preposterous show and you have judges who have no recognizable talent apart from self-promotion," the singer said.

Sting says Simon Cowell's only talent is 'self-promotion,' calls 'The X Factor' 'appalling'
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

I don't care for American idol or Simon Cowell, but I would imagine he's not worried about what Sting thinks of him...

Comment

• IceCreamBlondie
      Head Fluffer
      • Dec 2008

Frankly, I think Simon is a breath of fresh air on American Idol. I'm glad he speaks his mind and that he's not impressed with everyone. All the rest of the judges seem too timid and "afraid to hurt someone's feelings".

Of course, Simon speaking his mind is what made him so rich.
      I'm Stayin' Frosty!

Comment

• Coyote
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
        Thank you, Captain Obvious!
        Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Mr Walker
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jan 2004

I was a little disappointed with the new Sting Christmas CD...
          The new Tori Amos Christmas CD pisses all over it... pisses all over all of them actually... even Halford's.

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS
            I don't care for American idol or Simon Cowell, but I would imagine he's not worried about what Sting thinks of him...
            Actually Cunty Cowell whined about it on the X Factor at the weekend so it seems to bother him a bit.

He's untouchable though because he is using even this for self promotion.

All we can hope for is some sort of terminal disease preferably a quick one.

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr Walker
              The new Tori Amos Christmas CD pisses all over it... pisses all over all of them actually... even Halford's.
              What about Dylan's Christmas album? Is that one any good?
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Mr Walker
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                What about Dylan's Christmas album? Is that one any good?
                Yes it is... I love it... the arrangements are great and although his voice is completely shot, it gives the songs a lot of character and warmth.

But, I still think the Tori Amos one is the best new Christmas release of 2009 that I've purchased so far... that is since I haven't received my CD of Yuletide Beat from Los Straitjackets yet.

A song that gets an honorable mention is a cover of 'The Little Drummer Boy' by Robbie Krieger of The Doors that's on a compilation disc that I downloaded off Amazon... excellent!

Comment

• lesfunk
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr Walker
                  Not Andy Williams'
                  http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Yes, it's all televised karoke. On that point I agree.

Sting's probably bitching because the amount of people watching those shows way outnumber the amount of people who will pony up to buy a Sting solo record these days.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Mr Walker
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by lesfunk
                      Not Andy Williams'
                      No of course not, I was only speaking on the batch of new 2009 releases... Sting, Halford, Amos, Bocceli, REO and a few others.

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by IceCreamBlondie
                        Frankly, I think Simon is a breath of fresh air on American Idol. I'm glad he speaks his mind and that he's not impressed with everyone. All the rest of the judges seem too timid and "afraid to hurt someone's feelings".
                        so they hired another judge that will just fawn over people, and this one knows even less about the music industry and "real" singing than Paula Abdul did.

Sting had his own description. "It is a soap opera which has nothing to do with music," he told the Evening Standard. "In fact, it has put music back decades. Television is very cynical."
                        i know i may be biased but Sting's got a point here. if X Factor is as schlocky as American Idol, then he's right, it's shit.
                        Last edited by twonabomber; 11-17-2009, 11:31 AM.
                        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Golden AWe
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Mr Walker should be on the show promoting all the christmas cd's instead of himself
                          Originally posted by Cato
                          Golden, why are you FAT?
                          Originally posted by lesfunk
                          Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
                          http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                            Yes, it's all televised karoke. On that point I agree.

Sting's probably bitching because the amount of people watching those shows way outnumber the amount of people who will pony up to buy a Sting solo record these days.
                            Maybe, but I don't think he's hurting either...

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Apr 2004

Sting is an idiot.

I think we all know that when it comes to the music business, anyone with a paper asshole need not apply.
                              “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

Working...