PDA

View Full Version : Ken Ober of MTV's "Remote Control" - dead at 52

FORD
11-16-2009, 06:35 PM
New York Times
November 16, 2009, 3:48 pm
Ken Ober, ‘Remote Control’ Host, Is Dead
By DAVE ITZKOFF

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/11/16/arts/16remotecontrol/articleInline.jpg
MTV Ken Ober, right, and the rest of the cast of “Remote Control” in 1987.

Updated | 4:29 p.m. Ken Ober, a brassy comedian best known as the host of the 1980s-era MTV game show “Remote Control,” died this weekend, Mark Measures, an agent at Abrams Artists who worked with him, said on Monday. Mr. Ober, who lived in Santa Monica, Calif., was 52. The cause of death was not immediately known.

Lee Kernis, a manager at Brillstein Entertainment Partners who represented Mr. Ober for more than 20 years, said that Mr. Ober was found dead on Sunday. He said that Mr. Ober was last heard from on Saturday night, when he spoke to a friend and complained of a headache and flu-like symptoms. Mr. Ober told the friend that he was going to take something and would see a doctor as soon as possible.

Mr. Ober, who was born in Brookline, Mass. and raised in Hartford, Conn., grew up idolizing game show hosts like Bob Barker and Bob Eubanks, and went on to host four game shows of his own, including a revived version of “Make Me Laugh” in 1997. But his breakthrough came a decade earlier when Mr. Ober, a contestant on the televised talent show “Star Search,” became the host of the MTV series “Remote Control” in 1987.

That show, which was the network’s first original series to focus on non-musical content, tested participants on their knowledge of television, music-video and pop-culture trivia. The show, which also provided a launching pad for the careers of comedians like Adam Sandler and Colin Quinn, drew much of its sarcastic, self-mocking spirit from the culturally obsessive Mr. Ober, who ran the program like a late-night talk show (or frat party) and gleefully teased players who gave wrong answers.

Van Toffler, the president of MTV Networks, said on Monday, “Ken was a great guy. His personality really brought ‘Remote Control’ to life, as well as a new style of programming for MTV. We were really flying by the seat of of our pants then, and Ken was the reason it worked.”

In recent years Mr. Ober also worked as a producer on comedy series like “Mind of Mencia” and “The New Adventures of Old Christine.”

Mr. Kernis said, “He was a terrific friend. I’m still shocked.”

Watch Ken Ober in a clip from “Remote Control” from 1989:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CkC3OpnzMMc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CkC3OpnzMMc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

FORD
11-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Adam Sandler as "Stud Boy"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/grK66SReEFA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/grK66SReEFA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ELVIS
11-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Should we really give a crap ??

My heart goes out to whatever family he had...

Screw the show and MTV!

Jesus Christ
11-16-2009, 07:13 PM
How "Christian" of thee, Gregory :(

twonabomber
11-16-2009, 07:25 PM
That show, which was the network’s first original series to focus on non-musical content

and the beginning of the decline of MTV...

ELVIS
11-16-2009, 07:28 PM
How "Christian" of thee, Gregory :(

What do you want me to do, pray for him ??

It's too late, he's dead. I never knew who the heck he was...

hambon4lif
11-16-2009, 08:27 PM
featuring Femme Fatales Lorraine Lewis: delicious-looking piece of ass.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/grK66SReEFA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/grK66SReEFA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>It's a case of "if a tree falls in the woods".

By this time, Mtv had turned into a joke, and people had turned the channel.

Back in the day, we had that channel on lock, get stoned, and wait for one of Van Halens "Oakland '81" live clips to come on (it was usually "So This Is Love" at 3 in the fuckin' morning), this was even before 1984 when David Lee took the channel by the throat and held it hostage.

Afterward, bands put more emphasis on their videos than on their music, and Mtv began their mudslide into hell with cheesy-ass gameshows like this one, other bullshit shows, and everything else that had fuck-all to do with music.

It's downright pathetic that an Mtv gameshow was the zenith of homeboys career, but I'm guessing he's got family and friends somewhere in this world givin' a shit 'n stuff, so 'Farewell Holmes!'.

Maybe he will be buried next to 'Music Television'....or at least in the same plot.

Terry
11-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Huh.

Would have thought he was a few years younger than that.

Kinda like twonabomber said, though: non-music video programming was certainly the decline of MTV.

Bummer for him and the ones who cared for him.

Ah, well. Sometimes life'll kill ya.

FORD
11-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Nov 16 2009 6:23 PM EST
Ken Ober: A Remembrance, By Kurt Loder
Comedian/ show host passed away early this week.

http://www.mtv.com/shared/promoimages/news/o/ober_ken/comedy_central/281x211.jpg

"Remote Control," in all its fearless goofiness, was a game show so far ahead of its time that TV land still hasn't caught up with it. It was packed with soon-to-be-famous wild-card performers — the wonderfully demented Denis Leary, "Stud Boy" Adam Sandler, and gravelly sidekick Colin Quinn.

And Ken Ober, who died earlier this week of undisclosed causes, presided over their elaborate shenanigans — often just this side of out-of-control — with cheery aplomb. As Ken guided contestants through brilliant question categories like "Dead or Canadian?" and "Beat the Bishop," you could feel a new comedy form being invented by guys who had little in the way of dignity or better prospects to lose. What a time it was.

Ken was a wonderfully warm and grounded guy — the iconic success he achieved with "Remote Control" never seemed to go to his head. (Then again, if "Remote Control" went to your head, your head would have to be a very troubled place.) I stopped by to see him one time in Los Angeles, after the show had run its course, in a little bungalow he was renting up in the hills. He'd moved to Hollywood in search of better prospects himself, and he apparently had considerable success. He also flew back to New York in 2001, for a big MTV 20th-anniversary party at which his old show, of course, loomed large. He was as cheery and upbeat as ever, and it was really good to see him in such high spirits.

But "Remote Control" was a once-in-a-lifetime score, and I hope he was proud of what he and his buddies achieved. The show is long gone from the airwaves, but who knows, maybe it'll be brought back one day. Can there be any more timeless a pop-culture classic? It's terribly sad, and very hard to process, that Ken himself is suddenly gone for good.

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:videolist:mtv.com:1626385" width="512" height="319" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashVars="configParams=id%3D1626385%26uri%3Dmgid%3Auma%3Avid eolist%3Amtv.com%3A1626385" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="."></embed>

chefcraig
11-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Should we really give a crap ??

My heart goes out to whatever family he had...

Screw the show and MTV!

What do you want me to do, pray for him ??

It's too late, he's dead. I never knew who the heck he was...

Never heard of the guy or the show, so in a memorial thread you offer the above nonsense. Impeccable logic.

RIP, Ken.

Va Beach VH Fan
11-17-2009, 06:39 PM
I was overseas for this crap, thankfully....

This was way before Jon Stewart had his show on there, right ??

FORD
11-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Yeah, by a couple years, I think. "Remote Control" was MTV's first "other than videos" program, as far as I remember.

The main reason I watched it though......

http://scifisizzle.com/imagegallery/images/kari_wuhrer/kari_wuhrer_0.jpg

It was all about Kari :eatit: :sex:

GAR
11-18-2009, 01:49 AM
and the beginning of the decline of MTV...

exactly the point. he was an unfunny stupid old man.

GAR
11-18-2009, 01:52 AM
Nov 16 2009 6:23 PM EST
Ken Ober: A Remembrance, By Kurt Loder

oh well, now I'm justified.. an obituary of a stupid old fucker, by the stupidest oldest fucker who began to fuck up MTV with his boring fuckedup delivery of music news blurbs.

I'll be glad to write Kurt's obituary on how he sucked. Anyone reading this from Viacom newsdesk, just PM message me from this site no sweat. I'll do it for free..

twonabomber
11-18-2009, 06:37 AM
Loder was hired to give MTV "credibility."

the other guy from Rolling Stone (that DeCurtis guy) ended up on VH1 and he was just as bad.

sonrisa salvaje
11-18-2009, 04:20 PM
Loved the show. Thought Ken Ober was pretty cool but thought Adam Sandler was insanely funny as stud boy. If MTV would re-run these old shows i would watch the hell out of them. Agree that this should be associated with the decline of MTV but the channel was already stale as shit and going down hill. I think that is the reason they tried something new along the lines of this show.

sonrisa salvaje
11-18-2009, 04:24 PM
Yeah, by a couple years, I think. "Remote Control" was MTV's first "other than videos" program, as far as I remember.

Didn't MTV run reruns of the show "The Young Ones" starting around 1986 or so? That seems like the first non video related thing they did, not counting concerts and the VMA's.

FORD
11-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Didn't MTV run reruns of the show "The Young Ones" starting around 1986 or so? That seems like the first non video related thing they did, not counting concerts and the VMA's.

Maybe, though I was thinking that was on later... probably because I'm mentally associating "The Young Ones" with a girlfriend I had from 1990-91 who was really into that show, Red Dwarf, and pretty much every other Britcom of that era.

But of course that was a BBC show, which would still leave Remote Control as the first non-musical thing MTV produced themselves.

Terry
11-18-2009, 10:33 PM

Yeah, but The Young Ones were the fucking bomb!!

sonrisa salvaje
11-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Yeah, but The Young Ones were the fucking bomb!!

Oh hell yeah!