PDA

View Full Version : Seller's Remorse

jhale667
11-29-2009, 10:06 AM
We've probably all done it at one time or another, but what's some of the gear (or THE ONE piece) you've sold off over the years due to boredom, financial constraints, stylistic switches, whatEVER....?

Let's hear about 'em.

For me, it was getting rid of my first real guitar (started on a crappy Memphis copy), a 1980 Fender Lake Placid Blue "The" Strat, a then special edition with Gold-plated "Brassmaster" (sounds too much like "assmaster") bridge & hardware, a hotter-wound bridge pickup and a phase switch instead of the second tone control.

http://www.bpjensen.com/bpjensen/Pic/TheStrat_blue.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/jhale667/Lakeplacid80stheStrat.jpg

I sold her a few years later, right after high school to help finance parts for my first Charvel mutt, still in use today, so no regrets there.

The remorse-factor is merely sentimental, because in all honesty I like the way my current Strats sound, play and look better anyway...the neck on that thing was a giant U-boat shape, not comfortable at all...but still she was my first REAL one. :angel10:

I kinda miss my Fender Vibro-Champ too, but those are seemingly a lot easier to find if I ever wanted to replace it...

Anybody else gotten rid of something they're still kicking themselves about decades later? ;)

ThrillsNSpills
11-29-2009, 10:44 AM
I had a BC Rich Warlock that I loved and got rid of.
It was a lot lighter than most models. Wouldn't stay in tune for anything but the neck had a great feel and the tension was such that it was easy to get in the zone where you can play to the best of your ability quickly.

All the other things I've sold I could care less about but that one I miss.
Hmm, got rid of a Jackson Dinky Reverse that I didn't miss after getting a soloist.

jhale667
11-29-2009, 11:19 AM
I kinda regret getting rid of a couple of my original MXR pedals from back in the day too. They've since been replaced with reissues in the last few years, and while I think a MicroAmp is pretty much a MicroAmp, the Distortion + reissue doesn't seem to have the same mojo...not like I need it with my current Boogie set up. I don't need no steeking Distortion pedals! :lmao:
The Phase90 reissue sounds fairly close to how I remember the old block logo ones sounding, but I ended up replacing that on my pedalboard for the EVH Phase90 to take advantage of the extra headroom and the "script" function, which it's pretty much left on, I can't remember the last time I used the "block" mode.

So the reissue block-logo Phase90 and Distortion + are now basically tucked away for a rainy day, as it were....:D

Sarge
11-29-2009, 11:26 AM
That is a nice Strat!
I regret getting rid of this a Gretsch Power Jet.
It ws really nice, but I needed the money for another sale.

I also got rid of the PRS Swamp Ash Special. One of the nicest guitars I have had, but it was showing fretwear.

Diamondjimi
11-29-2009, 02:43 PM
I have a triple regret here. I regret trading my early 80's Hiwatt 50 head (because I worked my ass of to buy it when I was 17) for a Marshall 25/50 Anniversary head(grey tolex) and I regret selling the Marshall head to gather funds for my first rack setup (Rocktron ProGAp w. Midimate controller+ Digitech DSP 256+ Peavey stereo power amp).

The Hiwatt was a 2 input model that could blow away any 100 watter I jammed with. Plus, in hindsite is def. carried sentimental value. The Marshall had unbelievable tone and I wish I'd kept it. (Young and foolish I guess)...
And the Rocktron Progap? It currently sits in a closet collecting dust since I replaced it with my Tech21 PSA-1. (no regrets here, btw). I still use the DSP-256 in my rack. It's 16 bit processing produces warmer delay, chorus and verb tones, to my ears...
The Peavey is collecting dust as well. It can't compete with my Marshal EL 34 Dual Monoblock ...

jhale667
11-29-2009, 05:32 PM
That is a nice Strat!

Thanks, I sorta miss her these days. She's like the one that got away.
Yeah, even if I didn't play it (and I know I probably wouldn't), I wish it were still in the family as it were, even if only sitting on a stand collecting dust.

What's really ironic is I think I saw it (not a similar one) hanging in a GC store here several years back (I sold it before moving to LA)! I can't remember the exact serial number, but it was close, and the real clincher was it has the exact same ding in the finish on the underside of the body (opposite where the output jack is) that my Mom and I'd made them knock $100 off the purchase price when I bought the thing new!
What are the odds of my old guitar making it here, too? The guy that owned the store I sold it to back in the day actually said he'd sold it twice over the years (it was the ONLY one like it in my small town, and the original buyer after me brought it back in years later to trade on something else); he does sell shite online to GC occasionally so I guess it could happen...

Sentimental vibe wasn't hitting me as hard then, and I didn't have the cash anyway...and there was still that 'neck like a baseball bat' issue... ;)

Igosplut
11-29-2009, 06:34 PM
All I have is car regret, but know what you're talkin about....

jhale667
11-29-2009, 06:46 PM

Me too, but that's a whole 'nother thread, pal...:D

standin
11-29-2009, 09:04 PM
I always wonder about most all the cars I have had...

GAR
11-30-2009, 12:09 AM
I had traded my first guitar, a Kay that was so shitty and insufficient an instrument that it begat all the guitar-buying I've done to this day.

I traded that (130 plus tax paid), plus a Lotus hollowbody 335-style copy (15), and the Harmony 300 (25) amp plus $100 cash for my Ibanez Les Paul goldtop I got from Bill Hicks at the Peck Road DriveIn swap-meet. Bill was this jazz guy from Monrovia who sat and played under the screen all morning selling amps and guitars. He wanted $250, and I haggled him for months over it.

I had that two years, then traded it to a guy who moved to South Carolina for a car that went junk a month after I got it running, a FORD. I was working in a factory and needed a car because I was always late.

It had a certain distinctive band logo screened on the hardshell case.. I always wondered what happened to it: "IC" logo on Gibson-copy headstock no serial, the neck was super-slim mahogany, the body was of the same honey-colored Koa they made the following years' Flying V and Destroyers from.

That one was my biggest remorse, the Paul copy.

I had other gear worth way more, but meant less: a 61 Bassman blonde w matching cab, also had my first Marshall stack.. sold off piece by piece after I moved to Hollywood and learned from the other bands that nobody pays attention to perfect tolex so I started getting into the torn cabs thing. I got that stack from Dr Music, apparently owned previously by Ronnie Montrose and traded towards a Martin. Paid 1000, sold 5 years later for 1100 serial #1550L and wonder what happened to that one. But it was nothing special besides that classic steel-panel master vol sound.

I've had guitars I built from scratch however, that friends had really really pressured me to sell that held grudges on me for not selling. That is more uncomfortable than that "Rosebud" effect, for me.

But every piece of gear I've sold has had the money put into a replacment piece. For example (and this is just my rule) lets' say you have a guitar you paid $1000 for, you sell it for 12 well you made 200. My rule is, you put at least the 1000 back into a new guitar, or towards a better quality guitar costing more.

I'll never find that IC goldtop Les Paul copy though with the band logo case. Some collector fag has it and it will never ever turn up. I know that!

LoungeMachine
11-30-2009, 12:13 AM

All I have is Gar regret....

I regret he ever got a library card....

:gulp:

GAR
11-30-2009, 12:21 AM
What - no buttplug remorse from a torn sphinx?

Sarge
11-30-2009, 03:09 AM
http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1723&d=1259497609

Opps here we go...
Actual picture of the guitar by the way.
No car remorse here..
I do have a few remorses when it comes to women.
:pullinghair:

GAR
11-30-2009, 04:45 AM
my first real guitar a 1980 Fender Lake Placid Blue "The" Strat

I was talking about Lakwood Pawn before, I've picked a few guitars out of there and stop by sometimes since it's right off the 405.. well, there's one of those Fender Elite series just like this, 1983 the last year but in Shoreline Gold for $699 asking price:

Custom Color body and matching headstock, made in USA
Custom Alembic Active preamps
Custom Alembic single single humbucker config pickups
Custom Roland GK-1 MIDI internal installation
Hardshell case

Only problem, like its really a problem, is it's a Hardtail. No tremolo.

Good semi-dingless condition, soft-V neck shape, factory Schallers. Just saw that tonite..

Hardrock69
11-30-2009, 08:39 AM
I found a brand new Gibson Explorer in a pawn shop for $250. Had to sell it as I needed the money. Got $350 for it, but it was such a steal I regret having to sell it.

In the late 80s, I found an early 70s 50-watt Marshall head for 300 bucks. Had to sell it, needed the money. Regret selling it.

It was after I sold it I decided to never again sell a piece of gear due to "needing the money". And so I have not.

jhale667
11-30-2009, 09:47 AM
I was talking about Lakwood Pawn before.. well, there's one of those Fender Elite series just like this, 1983 the last year but in Shoreline Gold for $699 asking price:

"The Strat" proceeds the Elite and was nothing like it electronically or otherwise - different pickups, hardware, the input jack was even in a different location than a traditional Strat...apples and oranges, but thanks for playing.

twonabomber
11-30-2009, 12:01 PM
i had a mid 90's Hamer Diablo i wish i wouldn't have sold. trans red, two humbuckers, Floyd...oh, well. there's more out there.

yeah...in my case, i shoulda slit that cunt's throat when i had the chance. :D

jhale667
11-30-2009, 12:15 PM

Don't get me started... :biggrin:
Much like a car remorse thread, that one could go on for decades if we all got going...:lmao:

Igosplut
11-30-2009, 12:38 PM
http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1723&d=1259497609

No car remorse here..

Yea, me too.... But it was the actual involvement with them, not the absence of it.........

ZahZoo
11-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Had a 72 Gibson ES335 I traded for an old Harley. The bike damn near killed me.

Traded the bike for a 1970 Marshall JMP 100W Super Lead. The damn amp almost killed me when I was soldering a broken joint and cap discharged on me...

Should have kept the guitar... it never tried to kill me!!

Reverberator
11-30-2009, 05:07 PM
Sellers remorse ! how about buyers remorse!

I've been looking for a signature aurora for 5 or 6 years with no luck whatsoever , then yesterday one pops up on ebay for £500 buy it now . Ok it was a 2nd revision with the carved top ( I prefer the non carved ) but was in great condition.

Unfortunately yesterday I was £300 short but after some fiddling about I raised it . ( was even thinking of selling the malmsteen!!) So I got home from work , straight on to ebay and guess...... some bastard had bought it ten minutes before..

That's remorse.

jhale667
11-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Sellers remorse ! how about buyers remorse!

I've been looking for a signature aurora for 5 or 6 years with no luck whatsoever , then yesterday one pops up on ebay for £500 buy it now . Ok it was a 2nd revision with the carved top ( I prefer the non carved ) but was in great condition.

Unfortunately yesterday I was £300 short but after some fiddling about I raised it . ( was even thinking of selling the malmsteen!!) So I got home from work , straight on to ebay and guess...... some bastard had bought it ten minutes before..

That's remorse.

Oh, that sucks! Missed it by this much....sorry, dude.

Maybe you'll get lucky and a non-carved one like you really want will pop up soon.

Diamondjimi
11-30-2009, 07:14 PM
I was talking ...

And nobody gives a fuck... :Loser:

Do us all a favour and throw yourself under the next bus. Or better yet douse yourself in the nearest flammable liquid... :dafinger:

jhale667
11-30-2009, 10:16 PM
I realized as I was posting in the GAS thread, my two current projects-in-limbo are somewhat, no- fully buyer/seller remorse & sentimetality related...:D

The first one (not really "buyers" remorse since the part in question cost me nada, but): My second of two mutt with real vintage Charvel necks on them: Got the first one's body the same time (and from the same dealer) I got the neck(s) from, but the second one, I let my then gf's cousin (wood-worker, furniture-builder, all around guitar freak) talk me into letting him make the body for it. "I can make one just as good as these if not better!" he exclaimed, and being a broke 20-yr old, I took him up on the offer....

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs037.snc1/3305_93600152245_620012245_2502205_1643688_n.jpg

Sounded great in theory - he made a seemingly accurate template off my other Strat body, took pictures of the contours, everything - then he decided to get "fancy" with it, and I was too much of an un-assertive wuss at the time to tell him no, and besides, what was I paying for it?
So he did something wacky with the cutaways where the neck joins ("The way Fender does it is stupid" he said - ok, maybe - but still looks cooler than that!), and I further contributed to the fuckup by using MAPLE because I'd read George Lynch said it was cool (turns out maple bodies sound, IMO like ASS), and I'd also around that time read about EVH moving his rear pickup closer to the bridge for more "bite" - bad idea(s).
I never liked the looks (or sound, no matter the pickup used) of the body itself, but I always dug the original concept, and the bolted-steel finish motif. But rather than selling it and feeling terrible about, I let it sit on a stand and taunt me for years...daily remorse as opposed to the occasional ones we're talking about here..:biggrin:
So I'm basically re-creating it on a new (exact Charvel copy) body, and having a WAAAAAAAAY better artist (who does paint work for Charvel/Jackson) re-imagine the finish. Should turn out pretty cool, and like it SHOULD have the first time!

THEN.....(lol) there's my high-school sweetheart Kramer; got that because I HATED the Pacer bodies (looks like a Strat's inbred cousin melted, worse even than the body above, IMO), and because it looked like the body of EVH's "Shark" guitar...

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs037.snc1/3305_93594047245_620012245_2502123_32109_n.jpg

Problem: The neck (in addition to being a tiny, girlie-man 1 5/8" R2 nut-width, WHICH I HATE), the back contour was (again) like a baseball bat, and if I'd wanted something that felt like THAT I would've kept my Blue Strat...lol! So I scavenged the Floyd off that (that's it on the Strat in the pic above, actually) and sold everything else except the body - not the last time I'd do something like that over the years.

So now that's getting all redone and tricked out too... already looks cooler. It's just awaiting the final piece of the puzzle...

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs037.snc1/3305_93598487245_620012245_2502202_299537_n.jpg

But hey, here's two instances of actually being able to reverse a remorse/regret situation...not bad, huh? :baaa:

Thought of another one that got away, too...around 1985ish, a local buddy custom-ordered a Charvel EXACT VH II copy (except the headstock was pointy) and when he decided to sell it (for a fraction of what he paid) didn't have the cash...it was one of the FULL-ON "lawsuit" Charvels, and I passed on it... probably worth a mint now... :(

jhale667
11-30-2009, 10:20 PM
We could probably also lump "modifications I wish I'd never done" in here too (rather than another thread)...I'm sure somebody out there say, ruined their (now) vintage Strat (so to speak) by routing it for a humbucker and/or Floyd back in the day?

Anyone?

:guitar:

indeedido
11-30-2009, 11:26 PM
I have so many gear regrets. Pretty much all from bordom/tone chasing.

Marshall 6100 head- The most flexible Marshall to me. So many tones.

Marshall Slash model head - Great single tone

1973 Gibson Les Paul Custom- I had a hankering to be Ace Frehley so I chased down a '73 custom. Put some cream Dimarzios in it, but didn't have it in me to route the middle pickup cavity.

Modded 5150 II - I emailed James Brown (the designer of the amp at Peavey) and he sent me the schematic to change the lead channel back to the specs of the original 5150. Had it modded so I had the flexibility of the footswitchable crunch on one channel, and the brutal gain of the original on the lead channel.

Hardrock69
12-01-2009, 01:04 AM
Marshall Slash head? Isn't that a JCM 800?

Another regret.....and I don't even remember why....I musta needed the money.

I had a 2 X 12 JCM 800 combo amp from the early 80s. In 1986 I went into the studio to record a demo....when checking out their amps (they had about a dozen different amps, Laney, Marshall, Fender, Hiwatt and more) none of them gave me the tone that combo amp did.

Fuck. Wish I had never parted with that one for sure.

GAR
12-01-2009, 03:25 AM
I have a Kramer 3000 cherry-red hockey-head Kramer neck in rosewood fingerboard for that thing. Told you almost a year ago.

Hardrock69
12-01-2009, 08:34 AM
You mean you LIED to us almost a year ago.

Post pics or STFU!

jhale667
12-01-2009, 11:01 AM
I have a Kramer 3000 cherry-red hockey-head Kramer neck in rosewood fingerboard for that thing. Told you almost a year ago.

And I told you I wasn't interested. Almost a year ago. So what part of "NO" did you not get?

GAR
12-02-2009, 12:00 AM
.. the part about its the same-color headstock, from the same factory.

That's a Focus body. It's Jap-made Charvel Star copy, don't tell me you're gonna relive more Eddie mirror-posing days with a strathead neck on it?>

Nitro Express
12-02-2009, 01:45 AM
Trading my three pickup Les Paul Custom for a fucking Kramer. That Les Paul sounded and played great and the Kramer sucked. I'm still kicking myself.

Nitro Express
12-02-2009, 01:51 AM
I have so many gear regrets. Pretty much all from bordom/tone chasing.

Marshall 6100 head- The most flexible Marshall to me. So many tones.

Marshall Slash model head - Great single tone

1973 Gibson Les Paul Custom- I had a hankering to be Ace Frehley so I chased down a '73 custom. Put some cream Dimarzios in it, but didn't have it in me to route the middle pickup cavity.

Modded 5150 II - I emailed James Brown (the designer of the amp at Peavey) and he sent me the schematic to change the lead channel back to the specs of the original 5150. Had it modded so I had the flexibility of the footswitchable crunch on one channel, and the brutal gain of the original on the lead channel.

Hey! Same here! Ace Frehley. Sounds like we both made the same mistake getting rid of our beloved Les Pauls Customs.

I still have my 5150 II. I modded mine by putting a lower value resistor on the bias so I can run my tubes hotter. It's my main gigging amp. The crunch sounds very classic VH with the right pickups and EQ and the lead has all the balls of fire I want. It screams!

jhale667
12-02-2009, 02:09 AM
.. the part about its the same-color headstock, from the same factory.

Which does NOT have the nut width, fretboard, compound radius or fretwire I want on it. Shall I go on? I typed it REEEEEALLLLY SLOW so maybe this time it will sink in....

That's a Focus body.

No, it's not - idiot. It was the top of the line in the Voyager series when I got it, NOT a FOCUS. Did your parents have any kids that WEREN'T retarded?

It's Jap-made Charvel Star copy

Thanks, Captain Obvious. ALL Kramers were Japanese parts. The better "American made" ones were assembled in the Neptune NJ factory - this was one of those, and the serial number proves it. The Focus series guitars were plywood (your favorite!) parts assembled overseas.

don't tell me you're gonna relive more Eddie mirror-posing days with a strathead neck on it?>

Riiiiight....you're the pussy who QUIT playing and thus only gets to pose now, failboy. And no, not a Strat headstock - it's getting an Explorer headstock - as a nod to the original Shark, not a hockey-stick Kramer copy.

So STFU.

Unless of course, you have some imaginary gear-remorse story you'd like to share...:rolleyes:

GAR
12-02-2009, 02:17 AM
I can pick it up soon enough.

Forgot you like the 1-3/4" aborigine nutwidth, I know they didn't make that stuff in Japan stock.

But don't tell me you're spending $300 dollars on a neck for a $40 ebay body that weighs less than a loaf of bread!

If you want a star, build a star. It's not like Warmoth doesn't own a pinrouter. My G-d.. your attitude sux.

jhale667
12-02-2009, 02:23 AM
Actually, it's a decent weight Alder body, and didn't sound bad as I recall. And I said STFU.

Now that we got that out of the way, back on topic -

I thought of another piece I wish I'd hung on to...I had a Chandler rack-mount Tube Driver preamp..

http://rossdesigngroup.com/misc/4sale/imgp1112.jpg

...it was a little on the noisy side, but it sounded amazing...ripped when put in front of a Marshall or any other tube amp with even a halfway decent basic overdrive sound...(like the Carvin X-100 head I had at the time).
Dumped it when I got the Boogie (no need for overdrive or boosting!), but I should have held on to it.
:guitar:

GAR
12-02-2009, 03:35 AM
The pedal version is one of the few pedals I recommend.

Nitro Express
12-02-2009, 06:07 AM
A Tube Driver matches well with a Big Muff Pie. You get a wonderful moaning sound if you get the right rythum going.

Hardrock69
12-02-2009, 10:31 AM
This is not a regret story, but if you ever find a rack-mount Roland Dimension-D in a pawn shop for cheap, get that fucker. They sell for a grand on eBay and are extremely rare these days. Any studio with a good supply of gear should have one.
http://i47.tinypic.com/1z3qg5y.jpg

78/84 guy
01-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Sold a white Explorer 15 years ago for 600 large because it was so mint !! The fucking case was nicer than a couple of my guitars !! Tweed & Pink fur inside, I put a small scratch in the clear on the top edge that nobody could see including myself unless I searched for it and said that's it, I can't play this thing anymore !! Stupid. The neck was awesome. Can't remember what year it was. had it for a couple years.

kwame k
01-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Not seller's remorse, yet.....I'm thinking about selling my 60th Anniversary Tele and unlike Gar, I have the pics to prove it.......

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll103/realtodd/Telebackheadstock.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll103/realtodd/telefront.jpg

rocknrolldork
01-22-2010, 11:52 PM
73 Marshall blonde 4 x 12 cab. Always regretted letting that one go.

jhale667
01-23-2010, 02:00 AM
Not seller's remorse, yet.....I'm thinking about selling my 60th Anniversary Tele and unlike Gar, I have the pics to prove it.......

Seems nice, think you'll regret it if you dump it?

Doctor Dude
01-23-2010, 03:43 AM
I might be interested...

Is the pick guard in good shape?

Doctor Dude
01-23-2010, 03:44 AM
Kidding...

Sorry, wish I could afford it right now, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

kwame k
01-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Seems nice, think you'll regret it if you dump it?

I only use it to write with and I plug directly into my board when recording. I love the neck but really an acoustic would do the same for me.

kwame k
01-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Kidding...

Sorry, wish I could afford it right now, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Story of my life, too:beers8: