PDA

View Full Version : My musical things

Reverberator
12-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Well , I thought I'd show you all my stuff. It's not greatly interesting gear but it serves it's purpose for an average classic rock / blues player that I am.

Now I must apologise for the pics , my camera's fucked so phone pics unfortunatly.

First off.........

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P101209_1823.jpg

'03 USA strat in chrome red.

This is the oldest instrument I own now. It has been used and abused and fucked about with over the years but it's now largely standard apart from the chrome scratchplate . It's the main workhorse.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P101209_1818.jpg

'06 Epi LP custom

This is the other workhorse . This one's also been changed a bit , I had some high output no name zebras in it until recently but I found them too harsh so I replaced them with a Duncan SH-5 and the origional epi neck pup (with cover removed , and all the fucking wax) which I like the tone of.

It's also going yellow....yeeess.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P101209_1819.jpg

The Sunday toy.....'07 YJM strat.

This one had a lot of setup issues and because of that It wasn't nice to play.... to the point that I was going to sell it . Now I was assured that it had been pro set up out of the shop , well it wasn't , it was shit... so I had it set up by a local tech and then it showed its true colours ....FANTASTIC!!!! It did take a sliver of maple in the neck pocket and the nut had to be re-cut but it's great now.I'm still a bit disapointed with fender for this....it was £1200 for fucks sake.

I love the scalloped neck but the thing I really had to get used to was the pups , very low output but again I love 'em now.

Effects

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P101209_1824_01.jpg

I've only got this now .... Digitech GNX4.

I don't do much band wise these days and that was one of the reasons I got this. I wanted to do more recording and I liked it 'cos it's got loads of lights and buttons:biggrin: It's got everything on it and works fine live....and fuck it , it's a multi effects and thats about all I can say about that.

Finally....

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P101209_1824_02.jpg

1997 Marshall vs100 valvestate and 4x10 cab.

I bought this as I do live stuff on my own and with various "bands" from time to time , but not all of the time.... and that's why I got it , cheap power ... no more no less , It's ok and with all the amp modelling I have on the GNX you can get a half decent tone.

It's got red tolex too!!!

The cab is 4x10 celestion 75's from 1991.

So there it is , not great gear but it is what it is.

Hardrock69
12-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Warning: Troll alert:

The garfuckle will soon show up to tell you what you must do with your gear!

jhale667
12-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Warning: Troll alert:

The garfuckle will soon show up to tell you what you must do with your gear!

Yes, and feel free to IGNORE said stupid recommendations. They're most likely Googled anyway. :rolleyes:

Nice axes, Rev! :baaa: Almost picked up a vintage Marshall 8x10 as a kid, but didn't want to lug it around...

:guitar:

jhale667
12-10-2009, 04:20 PM
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P101209_1824_01.jpg

I've only got this now .... Digitech GNX4.

I don't do much band wise these days and that was one of the reasons I got this. I wanted to do more recording and I liked it 'cos it's got loads of lights and buttons:biggrin: It's got everything on it and works fine live....and fuck it , it's a multi effects and thats about all I can say about that.

It's ok and with all the amp modelling I have on the GNX you can get a half decent tone.

You'd be surprised to know, a rather well-known guitarist I teched for on a summer fly-out tour used a GNX3 running to two slaved (rented) Marshall JCM900s for the backline, and got a surprisingly decent sound...no one noticed.

Reverberator
12-10-2009, 04:35 PM
You'd be surprised to know, a rather well-known guitarist I teched for on a summer fly-out tour used a GNX3 running to two slaved (rented) Marshall JCM900s for the backline, and got a surprisingly decent sound...no one noticed.

I can well believe that , these newer mfx's are quite good at replicating most stompboxes and amp/cab models BUT they require endless fiddling....The good thing with the GNX is that you can download many great patches from the Digitech web site straight to the GNX and then fettle them as needed on your PC using a cool interface.

The GNX is the main reason I use a cheap solid state amp.:)

kwame k
12-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Nice gear dude!

jhale667
12-10-2009, 05:40 PM
I can well believe that , these newer mfx's are quite good at replicating most stompboxes and amp/cab models BUT they require endless fiddling....The good thing with the GNX is that you can download many great patches from the Digitech web site straight to the GNX and then fettle them as needed on your PC using a cool interface.

The GNX is the main reason I use a cheap solid state amp.:)

He actually used a Sparkledrive and a couple of other pedals in front of it and it still sounded decent (and was stereo, which is rarely a bad thing)...I should get off my ass and someday scan and post the schematics I did of the rigs of some of the people I worked for...oh, wait - someone would accuse me of name-dropping...:rolleyes:

Reverberator
12-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Well pm them to me then....I'd love to have a look.

jhale667
12-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Well pm them to me then....I'd love to have a look.

Was thinkin' on the way home, I should probably redo them, they're currently sketched in a ledger-type book that was small enough to fit in my Anvil-briefcase/work-box (can't take a ton of shit with ya on a fly-out run), but I'll try to remember to take that to the office tomorrow and see how they scan...got a printer at home, but no scanner.

Oh, and one of my best friends currently records with a GNX4, and thought it was the shiznit until he came over and heard the sounds I'm getting with PODfarm and Recabinet...his stuff still sounds good!

Matt White
12-10-2009, 08:36 PM
KEWL gear REV................

Reverberator
12-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Cheers guys....I'm gonna talk a bit more here now.

VanHalener
12-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Nice gear. May I make a recommendation?

Turn that shit UP!!!
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k196/solo_matt25/outstanding.gif

jhale667
12-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Cheers guys....I'm gonna talk a bit more here now.

Cool. :D

Oh, and as far as the excessive twiddling on the GNX/Marshall setup? Dude had like six or so sounds/presets (no cab emulations) that he'd worked up: IIRC - Clean, Clean with Reverb/slight chorus, couple of dirty/dirtier stock rhythms and two lead sounds with echoes...all accessed via a Midi Buddy.
He had a Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss CE-5 and a Voodoolab Chorus in front of the GNX3 with a Shure Wireless stuck inbetween. Right and Left outputs of the GNX went to each of the Marshall heads (full stacks but running the bottom cabs only).

Per his preference, the Right and Left outs were color-coded due to the way he set the heads up; didn't write his settings for those down because it was different at every gig, and you couldn't just run either or to either of both heads, if that makes sense...:umm: He had them basically just running as power amps, but still did stuble tonal colorations and slightly bumped up the gain differently for each channel with the heads at soundchecks per venue to get what he wanted to hear, so it mattered which channel/head was which.

It worked -funny, because I'd recently seen the band at the ROXY here as a still-fan (but had met 2 out of 3 of them locally & becoming friends before being asked to work for 'em) and hearing his guitar sound I was like "He's getting that out of 2 JCM900s?!?" When I then saw his rig a few weeks later, I was like "Ooooh, I get it." But with that type of gig (and caliber) player where he showed up with his shit and had two unknown Marshalls provided for Backline in every city, pretty nearly consistent and workable tone. Got to personally wank through it at his encouragement and behest a couple of times (Cool dude, would hand me the guitar and go "check it out", like he wanted to hear someone else play through it plus we became post show party pals so we'd be hangin' out talking guitars), and it was something you could live with every night and do that kinda gig if like him you had it, y'know? He got tagged for a extra fees for the gear-bag and taking a backup guitar in a case in addition to the main one as a carry-on... but still pretty economic (not counting renting the Backline, just travel wise) way to do it for them...no cartage fees for amps, though...

Bassist did something similar, wireless, no back up instrument w/two SVTs. Boiled his own strings (and a backup set) prior to flying to the 2-3 night gigs, never broke one in the 3 months I was there...

And oh yeah, Rev...what kinda pickups are in the red Strat? :D

Reverberator
12-13-2009, 10:28 AM
The pickups are the ones it came with , it's got that hotter bridge pup with that tbx? tone pot .... I had tried it out with a Duncan sh5 about a year ago , then I was playing rhythm in a covers band and wanted to fatten it up as I was competing against a LP. Now that band is 'dead' and as I'm basically playing blues now I wanted the strat tone back and put the duncan where it should be in the LP.

Actually you may remember me fitting the duncan in the strat as I posted it over at rothfans.

Now....that stuff you sent me is good reading and I think you should post it as it's interesting stuff and I'm with you on the Gary Moore thing , his rock playing was the bollox ....out in the fields took some time , still can't play it quite right even now.

As for the 'guy';)with the gnx3 ....I've got the gnx4 ...one better:biggrin:but that's about the only thing that is better:)

I'm going to try to get my nikon working , I'll take some shots of the inputs and everything on the back of the gnx to give you some idea.

jhale667
12-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Actually you may remember me fitting the duncan in the strat as I posted it over at rothfans.

Now that you mention it, stirring a memory. :D Crap, where's that archive site addy when you need it? There were some cool threads there, hope RF pops back up some day.

Now....that stuff you sent me is good reading and I think you should post it as it's interesting stuff and I'm with you on the Gary Moore thing , his rock playing was the bollox ....out in the fields took some time , still can't play it quite right even now.

Will do. The one I sent you is the only "Holy Handwritting Batman" one in the bunch, 'course I started on that one first...:rolleyes: But none of them will scan so will be redoing them as per the example. ;)
Funny how most hardcore guitar players know of pre "Still Got the Blues" Gary. And how many more well-known (particularly Euro, but a few US) guitarists of the day worshiped him...like on the same level as EVH, and justifiably so! I mean, Ozzy approached him after Rhoads death...monster player.

As for the 'guy';)with the gnx3 ....I've got the gnx4 ...one better:biggrin:but that's about the only thing that is better:)

I'm going to try to get my nikon working , I'll take some shots of the inputs and everything on the back of the gnx to give you some idea.

That'll be killer. Please do.:baaa:
The 'guy''s :D rig would also be the simplest schematic to re-do and post. And he went for the gnx3 because it fit in a carry-on. ;)
Could still do it anonymously...."That 'guys' rig"...:hee:

GAR
12-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Funny how most hardcore guitar players know of pre "Still Got the Blues" Gary.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ga8ahi7jJg8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ga8ahi7jJg8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Metalhead, or Blues-imposter. You decide.

(hes a fookn METAL roeet)

Reverberator
12-13-2009, 06:18 PM
Did you know Gary sold THE Peter Green LP?

I was mega surprised at that.....apparently it went for 2 million dollars.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FjIkl2IAC7I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FjIkl2IAC7I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

GAR
12-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Speechless.

Just think, in our lifetime that Jimmy Page flametop will change hands and you KNOW it is more desirable than the Peter Green one by a factor of ten.

Especially if someone buys Wacko Jacko's shoes for 20mil for charity.. the led zep guitar could be - ? Forty mil?

jhale667
12-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Metalhead, or Blues-imposter. You decide.

Judging by the shred-level on Dirty Fingers, Corridors of Power, and Victims of the Future, seems like there was just more money in being a blues imposter in the early 90s...;)

$2million for the Peter Green LP? Damn.

GAR
12-14-2009, 12:04 AM
I had the thing in my hands in 2006!

I was very persistent on taking a plaster casting of the neck shape from the heel to the first 2 tuners, but the guy said "no I can't its not mine, if something were to go wrong.."

Geez, what's to go wrong by pouring plaster of paris over a 2 million dollar neck? It's not like the owner would have had to know.. unless we couldn't get it released from the mold.

Hardrock69
12-14-2009, 12:07 AM
Funny how most hardcore guitar players know of pre "Still Got the Blues" Gary. And how many more well-known (particularly Euro, but a few US) guitarists of the day worshiped him...like on the same level as EVH, and justifiably so! I mean, Ozzy approached him after Rhoads death...monster player.

Saw Gary at Cardi's in Dallas (probably capacity only 200 peeps or so) on the Corridors Of Power Tour, with Ian Paice on drums.

Blew my motherfucking mind!

He is a GOD among guitarists.

Too strange that he has been able to sell out arenas in the UK for years, but is relatively unknown to the public at large in the US.

Hardrock69
12-14-2009, 12:08 AM
I had the thing in my hands in 2006!

I was very persistent on taking a plaster casting of the neck shape from the heel to the first 2 tuners, but the guy said "no I can't its not mine, if something were to go wrong.."

Geez, what's to go wrong by pouring plaster of paris over a 2 million dollar neck? It's not like the owner would have had to know.. unless we couldn't get it released from the mold.

Only an idiot would make a suggestion like that.

GAR
12-14-2009, 12:11 AM
Yeah, he suffered from a terrible leftover-70's scruff-rock image during the Metal Years, outfitted more like Sammy Hagar than someone who can shred.

Had he gone out in denim and leather, kids woulda taken more notice of him for sure and bought up his albums.

jhale667
12-14-2009, 12:13 AM
I saw him open for Def Leppard and Krokus that year (insert Marc Storace joke), and Phil Collen and Steve Clark, as well as the Krokus guys were sitting off to the side of the stage mesmerized watching him just like the awestruck kids we were...

kwame k
12-14-2009, 12:13 AM
Only an idiot would make a suggestion like that.

Only an idiot did:baaa:

GAR
12-14-2009, 12:29 AM
I saw him open for Def Leppard and Krokus that year (insert Marc Storace joke), and Phil Collen and Steve Clark, as well as the Krokus guys were sitting off to the side of the stage mesmerized watching him just like the awestruck kids we were...

HA! Anyone who's ever seen him play says the same thing.

Albert Molinaro of the old GuitarsRUs store, first started out of Roman Rist's shop across the street from the then-new Guitar Center.. he rented the front of Rist's shop and had the wall with a dozen guitars, one orange one was like a 62 Strat with a bitchin' thin neck with the name 'GARY' carved in the body paint above the pickguard.

He wanted 1300 in 1985 dollars but he "couldn't sell it just yet, the guy might have a deal on hold" cuz it was a trade for something else Al had going.. week after week kept buggin him "oh that belonged to Gary Moore he might be buying it back, have to wait"

I just thought the thing literally had my name on it.. for me!

jhale667
12-14-2009, 12:50 AM
Was it orange or faded-ass fiesta red? Because he had a '62 fiest red strat with a rosewood board on the Corridors Tour...I remember reading about it, and have pics of it somewhere...

I smell a Gary Moore thread...:D

GAR
12-14-2009, 01:10 AM
Looked pretty orange to me, look for "gary" knifed into the paint on those pics and that's the one I'm on about.

Reverberator
12-14-2009, 01:08 PM
I've seen gary quite a few times over the years and he never fails to impress....suppose I'm quite lucky as he tours the UK just about every year.

Hardrock69
12-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Gary in Stockholm - Wild Frontier Tour Video

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZBWV7AWT)

Reverberator
12-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Merry xmas gear fuckers.

Diamondjimi
12-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Merry xmas gear fuckers.

Back at cha, Verbie ! :gulp:

jhale667
12-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Merry xmas gear fuckers.

To you as well, Sir Verb. :gulp:

ace diamond
12-24-2009, 12:11 AM
Merry xmas gear fuckers.

whatever dude.
:rolleyes:
humbug!

GAR
12-24-2009, 12:14 AM
"verbie..." what a stall-sporter!

Diamondjimi
12-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Fuck off Troll. This another thread of someone posting their gear. Until you do the same, maybe you should stay the fuck out.
If I were Mod of this forum I'd delete every single fucking post of yours.
J is a good man. You should buy him a Christmas gift for putting up with your Trolling in his forum..

BTW, Merry Christmas to ya brutha Hale!:baaa:

Reverberator
12-27-2009, 07:33 AM
Ok , so just lately this blues thing has taken over and It's been going down rather well with the good folk in the pubs that I frequent ...maybe they're just pissed but I'm looking into forming a permanent thing.

Anyway I saw a great little trio in a pub .. they were playing SRV , Rory Gallagher and a bit of Gary Moore , the strat he was playing looked rather unusual and so after the gig I got talking to him about it. He came over to us and proceeded to literally throw the strat down on the table with such force I thought he'd dropped it accidently....but he hadn't , it was just to relic it up a bit more...I thought that was fucking cool. So this strat was a squire body with a good aftermarket neck and decet pups , if I remember rightly in the bridge was a duncan humbucker (single coil size) and the other two were texas specials.

So I thought this was all rather good ... and then I thought fuck it I'm going to have a go at that myself as my stuff is all spiffingly shiney and dosn't look at all like it's been dragged behind your car as your wife's driving off with your best friend , all your money , your dog , your blue suede shoes and your Robert Johnson lp's.....If you get my meaning.

So.....

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P261209_1450_01.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P261209_1450.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P261209_1451.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P261209_1451_01.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P261209_1451_02.jpg

Cheap squire body from ebay £20 already with two decent dings .... I'm in the process of relicing it as we speak ... I've ordered a neck and vintage machine heads , gonna have to wait a bit for the pups though.

This might turn out ok or it might turn out shit , but either way it's going to be fun trying.

GAR
12-27-2009, 11:13 PM
Rag down the body with muriatic acid reduced 50% with hot water, it should pickle the surface abit and take some of that shine off.

Or you could use 1200 wet-dry sandpaper, dipped in warm water with just a hint of bar soap rubbed into the water to lube the sandpaper.

Or the safest way to degloss the body would be to use automotive rubbing compound (red, not the white stuff), and handbuff the hell out of it, that finish is really really hard and thick stuff.

It won't easily take to wear n tear.

Reverberator
12-28-2009, 05:05 PM
I have already took the shine of with 1000 grit , I've dinged it up some more and have done all sorts of shit . waiting for the neck now.

GAR
12-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Judging by the grain in the neck pocket, that's that shit Chinese Elm they call Asian Maple. But its no relation to Maple.

They're okay bodies, not very resonant but you could do alot worser for equiv of fifty bucks.

Reverberator
12-29-2009, 06:28 AM
It's Agathis , I bought it primarily for the sunburst finish and to try out the techniques of 'relicing' ... If it goes tits up it dosn't matter because it cost bugger all , and if it dosn't sound too good I've got a far better quality body to do the same to if required.

Hardrock69
12-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Hey, do whatever the fuck with it you want. It is YOUR project after all. Gar is just an envious bystander.:hee:

Reverberator
12-29-2009, 06:32 PM
Exactly...

But this is not a Gar and his enemies thread , and with all due respect I am big enough and experienced enough to fight my own corner.

So let's just get on with the subject and not the shit eh?

Hardrock69
12-30-2009, 12:09 AM
True, dat!

I yield the floor to the distinguished gentleman. :D

Reverberator
12-30-2009, 05:38 AM
Still waiting for the neck ...should be here today.

Reverberator
12-31-2009, 01:12 PM
I have recieved the neck ...

It's a lovely piece of soft flame maple , skunk striped , 22 fret (LFO) ..

I think it's probably too good to go with that body , might have to re-think.

GAR
12-31-2009, 02:08 PM
NO! Just throw it on.. I got necks I've had on 3 different bodies.

You won't harm the neck if you predrill correctly.

jhale667
12-31-2009, 03:51 PM
I have recieved the neck ...

It's a lovely piece of soft flame maple , skunk striped , 22 fret (LFO) ..

I think it's probably too good to go with that body , might have to re-think.

Hmm, dilemma...ultimately your call, but post some pics and let us take a look...:biggrin:

Reverberator
12-31-2009, 07:33 PM
Pics tomorrow girls ... I'm fucking pissed Tom Jones is on the TV ...happy new year fuckers.

kwame k
12-31-2009, 10:21 PM
Pics tomorrow girls ... I'm fucking pissed Tom Jones is on the TV ...happy new year fuckers.

Outstanding.......happy new years to you to, ya cunt:beers8:

Hardrock69
12-31-2009, 11:55 PM
LMFAO!

Well, could be worse...I suppose. Tom Jones is a pretty decent singer. Would you rather have Bananarama?
:D

Reverberator
01-01-2010, 06:42 AM
Bananarama were quite fuckable back in the day...

There were all sorts on Jools Holland last night , Tom was on with the Stereophonics so not all bad.

Reverberator
01-01-2010, 09:55 AM
The Neck.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P010110_1055.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P010110_1055_01.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P010110_1056.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P010110_1056_01.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P010110_1056_02.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P010110_1057.jpg

So there it is £60 , cheap because it has a small ding at the 9th fret side dot marker.

Now do I use it with that sunburst body? ... or do I use it with this? ....

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P010110_1314.jpg

This is a squire body from a guitar I used to own and have now found myself back in possesion of , it's 40mm thick as opposed to 45mm on the sunburst and the new neck is as tight as a nuns cunt in the pocket.On the sunburst one it's a little sloppy like a 70 year old prostitutes arsehole.

So , decisions , decisions.....

Diamondjimi
01-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Go with the Squire. A tight fit is crucial. OR you can follow GARfail's school of thought and simply glue it in the sunburst with carpenters glue and hope for the best...:hee:

Hardrock69
01-01-2010, 04:40 PM
LOL @ Reverb's description of the neck fit. :biggrin:

GAR
01-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Have to think about this - if you wait, I'll do a pictorial of how to drill and mount a neck.

Diamondjimi
01-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Have to think about this - if you wait, I'll do a pictorial of how to drill and mount a neck.

Riiiight. Never gonna happen! :Loser: :shiznit:

GAR
01-02-2010, 02:02 AM
I should say more like "how I drill and mount a neck."

We've talked about it before: the two back screws angle into the hole, pulling the neck into the pocket. The outer two screws go straight down into neck, gripping it flat.

Nitro Express
01-02-2010, 03:32 AM
Hmmmm. I've taken lot's of guitars apart and all four, three, and sometimes five screws are drilled and seated straight. I saw one angled neck screw once and that was on an Epiphone with a bolt on neck. Kwan must have had too much rice wine that day.

Reverberator
01-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Next installment....

I've just finished installing a set of vintage style klusons....

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P020110_1305_01.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P020110_1305.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the result.

Now I really can't decide what to do with the body choice....I don't really want to have another shiny axe but I also don't want to fuck up the finish on the green one....but as I've said the neck fits better on it.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P020110_1204_01.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P020110_1204.jpg

Gotta have a good long think about this.

Matt White
01-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Hmmmm....I like the look of the Green...

Reverberator
01-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Yes Matt , I think that's the way to go...

The green body is from a Squier 20th anniversary....now I've read somewhere that the anniversary models were made from better wood ...I don't know but it feels as heavy as the sunburst one but it's 5mm thinner.

The neck fits the pocket that well that I can pick it up with it just slotted in ( I haven't drilled it yet ).... so I'd rather go with that than have one that's sloppy.

Now , I want it to be different , but I don't know how yet.

GAR
01-02-2010, 01:39 PM
I had a 20th Anniversary! That body has a good shaping to it, it's not bad.

Some early 60's strats I've picked up, have been a slight bit thinner than standard. I don't think it's that big a deal.

I picked mine up in a pawn shop for 85, wound up selling the body and electrics on ebay for about the same and kept the CBS headstock - which is what I wanted out of the deal anyways - for free.

However, do make sure your intonation point will match up with the neck: take a measuring tape or yardstick, tape the trem down where the bridge holes will line up, and then measure from the forward edge of the nut to the arcpoint of the string saddle.

You should have 25 1/2" inches and if not, adjust the saddle as far as it can go forward to see if you got enough travel to get 25.5"

jhale667
01-02-2010, 02:40 PM
The green version looks cool. Go with that.

Wish I could just scan and post the Chapter from Dan Erlewine's book on neck-attachment...lays it out fairly simply...with measurements for neck-bridge alignments for vintage trems, Floyds...the whole shebang. :umm:

Reverberator
01-02-2010, 04:19 PM
I am thinking about a floyd in here now ... fuck !! what a change of direction!!!!

I'm not au fait with floyds and how they might fit ( if they do) in a squier body .. but I know J will put me in the right direction.

Advice...Please.

GAR
01-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Better check your string-length measurements first before you do anything. You may not be able to use that neck at all with these bodies.

Reverberator
01-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Better check your string-length measurements first before you do anything. You may not be able to use that neck at all with these bodies.

Yep ,good call .... but I've already got that covered.

GAR
01-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Then I suggest the sunburst if you go with a Floyd, due to additional thickness.

jhale667
01-02-2010, 06:55 PM
I am thinking about a floyd in here now ... fuck !! what a change of direction!!!!

I'm not au fait with floyds and how they might fit ( if they do) in a squier body .. but I know J will put me in the right direction.

Advice...Please.

I found a couple of online installation Tutorials in a quick search..

Floyd Install (http://www.georgemangos.com/floyd/index.htm)

...but the best thing I've seen is the Dan Erlewine video from StewMac...he's the man for that kind of thing...

Nitro Express
01-02-2010, 09:30 PM
I installed a Floyd nut using a Dremel tool with a router attachment and it worked great.

GAR
01-03-2010, 12:27 AM
The Charvel neck I'm gonna use tomorrow for my pictorial has what looks like the nut ledge sawed off with a radial arm saw.

If you have access to a radial arm saw and can sit there to meticulously lower the depth till it's right, that's one way to go.

And if you order from Warmoth I believe they do the nut slot either way, Floyd or standard at no extra charge, am I wrong?

jhale667
01-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Floyd nut prep's a $35 upcharge from Warmoth, I believe....

Diamondjimi
01-03-2010, 01:04 AM
I installed a Floyd nut using a Dremel tool with a router attachment and it worked great.

Did the same thing. Very easy to make a template/jig for this method of making the nut shelf.

The Charvel neck I'm gonna use tomorrow for my pictorial has what looks like the nut ledge sawed off with a radial arm saw.

When it comes to horseshit like this, tomorrow never comes. This is called the inevitable 24hr latency fail. You know, like depositing a blank check into a machine and telling youself there's gonna be money in there tomorrow.

If you have access to a radial arm saw and can sit there to meticulously lower the depth till it's right, that's one way to go.

Yeah, the foolish way! :Loser:

GAR
01-03-2010, 01:17 AM
$35.00! WTF is that all about!

Diamondjimi
01-03-2010, 01:22 AM

Short arms , deep pockets, eh? :Loser:

jhale667
01-03-2010, 02:32 AM
It's $25 from Musikraft... ;) (with holes, $20 w/o)

Diamondjimi
01-03-2010, 02:46 AM
Floyd nut prep's a $35 upcharge from Warmoth, I believe....

It's $25 from Musikraft... ;) (with holes, $20 w/o)

Why bother giving The Fail any help. Ya know he's just gonna go 'n swindle some poor crackhead down the street out of a guitar for it's neck and post it as his own handywork.
Or better yet he's simply gonna Macgyver his old Hondo neck/hood prop with random old tools lying around the van...

Diamondjimi
01-03-2010, 11:41 PM
The Charvel neck I'm gonna use tomorrow for my pictorial

Well, where's the pictorial, Bitch?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/SmellslikeFAIL-dj-10.jpg

Diamondjimi
01-08-2010, 02:01 AM

Well, where the fuck are they?

Hmm..... thought so...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/FAILflash.gif

Hardrock69
01-12-2010, 01:39 AM
Goddam, Garfuckle just has to keep on with the river of shit whenever he opens his mouth.

Oh well. Different day, same old Garfuckle.

GAR
01-12-2010, 01:46 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q0trTWS0rcw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q0trTWS0rcw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Is this really you over at IMDB forums?

Reverberator
01-16-2010, 09:39 AM
While perusing some old photos I came across this....

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/kramer.jpg

Now ... I can't remember much about this , I know I bought it from a shop in Birmingham city centre and I know it would have been in the first half of 1987 as there is an England football shirt (world cup 1986) hanging next to it , and also I went to Birmingham on the train ( didn't have a car 'til late '87.

What I can't remember is the model , I think I paid around £150 for it .

I went to the shop with an old friend of mine who was a decent player for his advice . Now I must say that I was pretty much starting out then and couldn't play much let alone know what a good guitar was ( was playing a SG copy) so my friend said for the money it was a good starter Kramer.

Sad thing is this guitar couldn't have meant much to me as I left it at a birds house who I'd been seeing and I never saw it again.

Anyway ...can anyone shed some light on the model and specs for me , any information would be cool.

jhale667
01-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Looks like an old starter-model non-Floyd Pacer...check VintageKramer.com to see if you can find the specific model...:baaa:

Reverberator
01-16-2010, 04:16 PM
Will do.

I noticed that it had a coil tap switch on the photo , not that that meant anything to me at the time.

Reverberator
01-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Hey... my pc fucked up , but I have a new mega fucker now.

No news on the project but I have put another humbucker in the red one.

jhale667
02-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Hey... my pc fucked up , but I have a new mega fucker now.

No news on the project but I have put another humbucker in the red one.

Cool - what kind?

Reverberator
02-02-2010, 03:50 PM
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P300110_1429.jpg

A friend of mine who deals in gear from time to time gave it to me to try , there's no name all I know is it's 11.5k . It's probably quite a cheap pup as he gave it to me ....but it sounds very good , in fact I like it a lot.

It also allows me to keep my fender chrome scratchplate which I like with that guitar.We'll see how it copes live if and when I do anything!

Hardrock69
02-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Actually that mystery Strat coulda been a JB Player from the mid-80s. They made a model just like it....there are a couple on eBay right now.

GAR
02-03-2010, 12:07 AM
Actually my Tele came with one of those bladed S-sized humbuckers, it says Duncan Performer which I'm putting into one of my Jap strats.

I think they're made in Korea. Mine's not bad.

Reverberator
02-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Actually that mystery Strat coulda been a JB Player from the mid-80s. They made a model just like it....there are a couple on eBay right now.

It's a Kramer but I don't know the model.

Reverberator
03-07-2010, 08:13 AM
I think the nearest match for that kramer is the Aerostar model , it was a far eastern made guitar and was probably plywood.

Not an exact match but close enough , unless anyone knows different.

Diamondjimi
03-07-2010, 01:13 PM

Not bad guitars...

Reverberator
03-13-2010, 07:03 PM
No news on the project at the moment . I'm looking to buy a Candy apple red body but I'm spending loads on a motorbike project as well.

Better put the Missus on the street.

Reverberator
04-06-2010, 04:14 PM
I have acquired this tonight.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P050410_2112.jpg

An old friend called me to say he was down on his luck and needed a bit of cash , he offered me this six month old , barely played and in mint condition , jewel blue Ibanez GRG270B.

I gave him £80 for it!

Worth a punt I thought:)

jhale667
04-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Congrats! :D

Reverberator
04-06-2010, 06:12 PM
I know they're only base entry , although this looks like it was the top base entry . Anyway ,after playing it for a few HOURS it's really taken me back to my old 1987 RG550 , and for £80!!!!

I bought it 'cos it was cheap and I knew I could sell it on for a profit whilst helping out a mate....But I might just keep it!

Diamondjimi
04-06-2010, 06:39 PM
I bought it 'cos it was cheap and I knew I could sell it on for a profit whilst helping out a mate....But I might just keep it!

Seeing as you got it for a deal, you could sit on it for a while and sell it back to him when he gets back on his feet (if he really like this guitar) ...just a thought.

Good on ya for helping him out,btw. ;)

Reverberator
04-15-2010, 05:46 PM
I have acquired this tonight.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P050410_2112.jpg

An old friend called me to say he was down on his luck and needed a bit of cash , he offered me this six month old , barely played and in mint condition , jewel blue Ibanez GRG270B.

I gave him £80 for it!

Worth a punt I thought:)

It's not six months old , it's a 2007 but it's still mint .... I'm really enjoying playing a 'floyd' ( Ibanez edge lll ) again .... so much so that I'm looking into offloading the Malmsteen and buying a cool prestige RG.

Reverberator
12-27-2010, 08:06 AM
Ok ....an update!!

I sold on that blue Ibanez to a mate for £100 , but the best bit is that he also gave me two cheap '80s superstrats....

The natural coloured on was made in korea or similar by a company called Maison , the Maison name on the headstock is in the Gibson font !! it's a pretty crappy guitar but i bet theres not that many around.

The black one is a marlin sidewinder , a cheap strat copy in it's day made in Wales UK , it has a Kahler style locking bridge , BUT the best thing is that the body is fender dimensions almost exactly so you remember that neck i got? .... it fits the body perfectly and the body is naturally reliced as it's around 25 years old.

A David Gilmour strat project is what I'm planning to do.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P271210_1148.jpg

Seshmeister
12-27-2010, 08:24 AM
I tried a couple of Marlins back in the day, they were shocking. :)

Reverberator
12-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Yep Sesh .... but if you think a marlin is bad you should try a maison, truly awful

lesfunk
12-27-2010, 07:11 PM
OK Bitches, Here be some of my musical things past and present.

lesfunk
12-27-2010, 07:13 PM
more of dem

lesfunk
12-27-2010, 07:15 PM
Yet still more Warwicks

Reverberator
12-30-2010, 05:35 AM
Nice basses Les.

New addition!

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P301210_0955_01.jpg

Ibanez RG 350 DX .... I liked the feel of that Ibanez I just sold and have thought for a long time about a better model , so yeah let's have one .... and it's good , very good.

But the other story concerns my Malmsteen , as I was going to the store to buy the Ibanez I thought I'd get some idea on what I could get in part ex for it if in the future I wanted to swap for something like a Les Paul etc. So bearing in mind that I bought this guitar from this store and also spent a lot of cash on other things namely digitech pedal and the epi lp , I was hopeful that they would be fair .....Looking around in the store I found the Ibanez , ok that's what I'm here for so I found one of the assistants and asked him two questions " How much is the Ibanez as I would like to buy it" and " What would you give me for my Malmsteen as I'm thinking of a Les Paul in the near future" his replies were " £350 for the RG" and " I'll get someone to look at the Malmsteen" . So after a couple of minutes this guy comes up and I recognise him as the guy who sold me the Malm 3 years ago , and he recognises me too ....... I open the case " that's in mint condition " he says " I remember you buying it " he says " what did you pay for it?" " £1350 three years ago" I said ....." hmmm " he goes " it's only worth £600 " ..... " there's no market for them , even on ebay they only go for that , no one wants them" so I said " On your website the same model goes for £1450 and this is a mint one " " well it's still only worth £600 ( as he's nooding on it the cheeky bastard) , so you want to buy that Ibanez then?" ...... " Yeah I do mate .... but not from you , goodbye"

I walked a mile across City and bought the Ibanez from another smaller shop , £20 cheaper .... but this is the rub , I have spent £1000's in that store over the years , they know I have, and to be insulted with an offer of £600 for a 2007 mint bullet Malmsteen is sticking in my craw , I don't need or particulary want to sell it but I find i don't use it too much , so I'll be hanging on to it.

As for the big store in Birmingham England ..... Fuck you.

Seshmeister
12-30-2010, 05:57 AM
Was this Guitar Guitar?

I see they are selling a Playboy Strat for £15 000. I will never understand that kind of nonsense.

Seshmeister
12-30-2010, 06:12 AM
My new toy Yamaha 01X thingy from eBay.

http://en.audiofanzine.com/utilities/a.provider,m.96348,mod.media,th.thumbs2,s.pictures .jpg

Still on page 2 of 160 of the instruction manual so all I can do is switch it on and off and watch the motorised faders going up and down.

Diamondjimi
12-30-2010, 08:17 AM
My new toy Yamaha 01X thingy from eBay.

http://en.audiofanzine.com/utilities/a.provider,m.96348,mod.media,th.thumbs2,s.pictures .jpg

Still on page 2 of 160 of the instruction manual so all I can do is switch it on and off and watch the motorised faders going up and down.

I've used that one in the past for demo-ing. Great unit.

How much $$$ ?

Seshmeister
12-30-2010, 08:27 AM
About $400 but the poor £ exchange rate confuses these things a bit at the moment.

They were 5 times that new when they came out here 5 or 6 years ago so I thought a good deal. Although they don't make them any more there is lots of stuff on the web.

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/fit,400by400/quality,85/brand,zzounds/01X-221c4679164a0424fc6f54cb51f34cfa.jpg

Diamondjimi
12-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Not a bad price. It's got all the bells and whistles you need. Navigation takes a bit of getting used to. But once you do it's a piece of cake..

Reverberator
06-23-2011, 06:59 PM
I have done a deal a few days ago for something that I have wanted for years and years .... this is momentous for me regarding gear ... the holy grail .... for me .

Won't get my hands on it until Tuesday but as soon as I do I'll post some pics.

YEAH!!

Seshmeister
06-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Yeah I saw the advert too, looking forward to hearing how you get on.

http://www.edifyingspectacle.org/strange-erosexual-com/Jesus-Christ-Homosexual-Love-Sex-Doll.jpg

Reverberator
06-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Christ.... you will all be envious ...or mildly disinterested but ....it's going to happen.

OH YEAH!

jhale667
06-24-2011, 12:42 AM
Is it Tuesday yet? What, no hints just a cryptic "I did something" post or two? Details, man! :lmao:

Seshmeister
06-24-2011, 07:02 AM
He's too busy with those stigmata openings... :D

Reverberator
06-24-2011, 05:22 PM
It might be tomorrow now.... hopefully , I won't say anything until it's in my possesion .... but God my holy grail is near.

PETE'S BROTHER
06-24-2011, 05:25 PM
you gettin' the new vh disc before everybody?

Reverberator
06-24-2011, 05:34 PM
No Pete ... better than that.

It's gear ...remember!

And when I get it hopefully tomorrow I'll share it with you all.

jhale667
06-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Cool, hope to see something tomorrow. :D

Reverberator
06-24-2011, 06:06 PM
So do I Jay , so do I.

Reverberator
06-25-2011, 09:36 AM
Here it is ! my new amp ... 1972 Hiwatt DR 103 . I fuckin finally got one!!

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P250611_1448.jpg

Reverberator
06-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Yeah!

Seshmeister
06-25-2011, 10:29 AM
And how exactly are you going to fuck that? :D

jackassrock
06-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Nice!

Diamondjimi
06-25-2011, 03:09 PM
Hiwatt's kick ass. Loud as fuck. Why else would Townshend use 'em?! :lol:

My first "real" amp was a 50 watt Hiwatt. Wish I still had it....

Reverberator
06-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Yep , this bastard is fucking unbelievably LOUD. I will have to sort a few issues with it ... keeps blowing fuses , but is a honest well used and abused Hiwatt , a bit of tlc here and there and were in buisness.

kwame k
06-25-2011, 07:09 PM
My ears are still ringing from the twin Hiwatts my old band used.......

jhale667
06-26-2011, 02:48 AM
Nice score, Rev! :baaa:

ashstralia
06-26-2011, 04:53 AM
love to be your neighbour for the next month..... hehe

Reverberator
06-28-2011, 01:18 PM
I solved the fuse blowing problem , wrong value fuses ! and I think i'll treat it to a cap job..... I paid £800 for this amp and although it's been gigged for the last 25 years with my mate from whom I bought it , and almost certainly been gigged since 1972 I feel I got quite a bargain.

Happy days.

Reverberator
07-01-2011, 05:25 PM
1972 DR 103 ... fuck ... I'm still blown away that I finally own one .... I was only three years old when this fucker was crafted by Dave Reeves / Harry Joyce , proper vintage Hiwatt .

I'l post some pics of the chassis soon.

Reverberator
07-05-2011, 07:58 PM
All of my gear as of now ... apart from projects and a few pedals.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/reverberator_2007/P290611_2045.jpg