X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GAR
    Banned
    • Jan 2004

What's a good wireless?

What's a good wireless? I don't even know.

I know there's two kinds: analogue, and digital.

I know digital, as in Spectrasonics, is very very clear. I saw Ronnie Montrose from the wings a couple years ago and stood next to his rig a few feet away. Although I know how he sounded which was fine as can be, I don't know how his Spectrasonics added or detracted from the normal "corded" signal sound.

I also know analogue, which can range from mild added compression to quite alot of it gained due to the compander circuitry they all add to cut transmission noise.. some of it's good, some not - usually the cheaper stuff isn't.

But the really good Nadys they used to make that had grate compression can't be had anymore.

Are the wirelesses now a part of vintage fictional lore, or are the newer ones better in the way the newer digital reverbs, and the newer analogue delays are better with clearer signal, less filtration but less noise too?

Tell me people what you think is a good wireless, I may have to go get one soon..
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Wow, an actual ON TOPIC thead, and a second post...congratulations.

Awww...

2 out of the 3 "name" (well, one sorta) players I've teched for were cable-only "purists", but the one guy that was using one was a Shure (not 'boutique' or anything), and worked without fail in every city they played in (said he'd rarely as in once or twice, encountered a drop-out or the unit not being able to find a frequency), but never did in the 3 month tour I did with 'em. I've gotta find my notes (not in the Anvil briefcase, crap) to send something to Rev, but I'll see it I've got the model number notated so we can figure out what this year's spiffy new model equivalent is...
    Anyway, it didn't color his tone much, and it worked...never personally tried one that didn't sound weird besides that one...

They're kinda useless, IMO unless your playing big stages, or doing backflips at your cover gig or whatever...

But with this unit (and most I'm told) god (or somebody) help you if during a switch you turned both transmitters off, the receiver started searching for their signals and made the white noise of doom thru the amps.... :eek:
    Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• jhale667
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

OK, let's try a serious question.

So...gonna play the Enormo-dome or perhaps a club gig soon, or do you just wanna be able to walk around the house? In other words, need or want one?
      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• GAR
        Banned
        • Jan 2004

I need one.

Comment

• jhale667
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by GAR
          I need one.
          So...after careful research, you're getting a...?

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2004

Why the fuck would anyone invest in a wireless to connect to a plywood Charvette?

And play where, the library audio room?
            Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• GAR
              Banned
              • Jan 2004

I have hit up at NAMM: Nady, Samson, Spectrasonics, and some others but they all seem so cheap. All are housed in little plastic shells that look really breakable.

I don't know. Try dealing with some GC cunt, and you go plug into a half stack with some volume, and they go "oh dude, that's enough Brah.. can't do that Brah.. "

Well, FUCK you "Breh" I'm NOT your fucking brother. I hate "brother" are we in prison yet, Brother?

Dont call me brother, Fuckin Zitfaced Knownothing.

I just wanna smash people in GC Hollywood. And they don't know shit, "uh sounds like you know way more then me bout it Brah.."

Stupid. Uneducated. Fucks.

Comment

• GAR
                Banned
                • Jan 2004

I know its not their fault, but Guitar Center spends absolutely no money training the salespeople. Its like they want them to fail in sales or something, so they can just churn more job applications!

I like that they're freindly, but freindly doesn't really do it, does it when it comes to spending your money wisely, and you're trying to calculate features VS benefits of a wireless.

They don't care.

They will never use a wireless, they'll knock up their girlfriend and spend another 20 years working at a home improvement center to pay for upbringing and college they never got, and shit.

If I'm stuck using shitty microphonic cords, that's fine with them because thats what they like and use. I don't like cords.

Cords these days are so bad, I just brought home a set of the LiveWires send-return cables for one of my Hush units.. TOTALLY microphonic.

I mean: totally. As in, you could use it as a microphone with my gear.

Comment

• jhale667
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

If CA OSHA's in the building while you're in one of the wank tanks trying to play rock gawd (and they frequently are) they're in trouble, so yeah, they'll tell you to STFU. They aren't just being dicks to you in this instance, they have to be.

The answer would be to research the one you want beforehand...however: Are wireless units, much like microphones in general still one of the few things not covered under their 30-day exchange policy?
                  Otherwise I'd say take your best guess home and get loud with it (gotten something out of "storage", possibly)....?

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• jhale667
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                    I know its not their fault, but Guitar Center spends absolutely no money training the salespeople. Its like they want them to fail in sales or something, so they can just churn more job applications!
                    Exactly, it's part of their corporate design...get 'em, burn 'em out, get 'em out, and god forbid someone does learn (or know) something - they'll want more money! They for the most part pretty much want dipshits with no sales experience.
                    GC pretty much aspires to be the Wal-Mart or Home Depot of guitars.

There are people there that know what they're talking about, but you have to first find them, and then be cool to them (if you plan on being a regular customer).
                    If you're a know-nothing (especially if they throw you in the wrong department) when you walk in the door for the job, just aspiring not be may not help you if all you do is read their training manuals enough to pass their "certifications".

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2005

What is sad to begin with is they do not give a fuck if you know anything about music equipment, they only are concerned about prospective employees having sales experience. It figures that they have regressed to the point now that they do not even want people with sales experience.

Why the fuck do they even call themselves "Guitar" Center? They should rename all their stores "Ignorant Salespeople Center".

Comment

• jhale667
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

One of my friends is currently working there (not Hollywood, but a SoCal store) part-time while putting himself back through school (he and his wife are collecting degrees, lol and he actually does know his shit guitar wise) for fun $$ says it ain't that much fun or $$ these days...

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

A unit that shuts off when someone who sucks plays through it.
                          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                            What is sad to begin with is they do not give a fuck if you know anything about music equipment, they only are concerned about prospective employees having sales experience. It figures that they have regressed to the point now that they do not even want people with sales experience.

Why the fuck do they even call themselves "Guitar" Center? They should rename all their stores "Ignorant Salespeople Center".
                            It's the Wal-Mart of music stores.
                            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• GAR
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                              If CA OSHA's in the building while you're in one of the wank tanks trying to play rock gawd (and they frequently are) they're in trouble, so yeah, they'll tell you to STFU. They aren't just being dicks to you in this instance, they have to be.
                              That's bullshit propaganda but I'm sure the threat of "osha" from an upper manager instills the junior salesguy the confidence to turn down his prospects' volume. OSHA don't work after 5pm anyways.. they're State workers! So GC get to lie to their people, and they do it all the time. Fuck GC.

They know in Pasadena store at least I don't take that kind of directive, but I'm not in the SGV anymore. When the Marshall Mode4 came out I was all over it and came in around closing to push it to a painful 8 volume level for awhile, and it's a 300watt head.

30 days refund policy works for me: I pay cash for strings but anything I'm "testing" for 30 days, I used the plastic. I do NOT do "exchange" so they get to go fuck themselves each and everytime I return stuff.. I just say "okay so you want me to call Discover tonite when I get home -AND- the California Atty Generals' office come Monday?

What they are doing for return policy is illegal, and young musicians are so stupid they put up with applying purchase credit towards a new purchase.

I get my money back - all of it - if I don't like it. And I don't like arguing for a half-hour and showing how much of a to the core dickhead I can be about it, so if I think I may not like a new toy.. PLASTIC. Only plastic buying stuff like that.

Comment

Working...