PDA

View Full Version : Top 50 Tours of the Decade Van Halen

Antman
12-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Van Halen checks in at #32 with gross of $147.8 million. Not bad considering only two tours and no new albums. Really only 1 and a half tours if you count the abortion clinic that was 2004, with shows being cancelled and most half empty arenas. The 07-08 tour was actually extended. U2 was #1 with close to $400 million. Acts like Springsteen, Metallica, Ozzfest, et al didn't do all that much better when you consider that they went on the road more than 2x. Let's hit the road this summer boys.

Terry
12-30-2009, 08:04 PM
So the total 147.8 mil gross was the 2004 and 2007-2008 tours combined?

If so, I think the 2004 tour did 40 to 60 million...at least that's what I seem to remember reading estimate-wise several years back.

chefcraig
12-30-2009, 08:18 PM
I've never quite been able to get my head around why people seem to be inspired or somehow enthralled by how much dough an entertainer takes home at the end of the day, week, year or decade. This to me borders on outright perversity. By attending a show, purchasing an album or picking up some of the various knickknacks and tsatskes the artist is putting up for sale, am I not contributing to that total? What is to be proud of in that?

If performers really feel the need to point out their earning skills and ways with money to me, then by all means have 'em pick up my electric, utility or insurance payments for a few months. Then I'll be impressed.

Antman
12-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Chef, I'm just sayin...Hey man, I hear ya and I contributed to the 07-08 retirement fund. Just thought is was cool to see that after one real tour, they held down the 32 spot. We won't get into the economics or prices adjusted for inflation. And yes I am a pervert.:biggrin:

chefcraig
12-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Chef, I'm just sayin...Hey man, I hear ya and I contributed to the 07-08 retirement fund. Just thought is was cool to see that after one real tour, they held down the 32 spot. We won't get into the economics or prices adjusted for inflation. And yes I am a pervert.:biggrin:

Friend, in no way was my response personally directed toward you, as I'm not a "kill the messenger" type of guy. It was biased toward those that publish this info in the first place.

And by definition, judging by all of the VH-inspired nonsense I have either laying about the house or in piles boxed up in the garage, I'd think it fair to say we share a certain amount of that same perversion. Now if we could just find some newbie to sell it all to at a handsome profit...

Antman
12-30-2009, 10:38 PM
I hear ya. I have some VH stuff that I really don't know how I got it. I even have Van Hagar toilet paper.

Halen High
12-30-2009, 10:39 PM
The reunion with DLR was certainly a huge success in terms of ticket sales and critical response from the medai and fans. I'd be more interested to know the percentage of seats sold per stadium capacity for the Van Hagar 2004 tour compared with the VH 2007/08 tour.

At a rough guess, Van Hagar shows were about 50-60% capacity on average and VH with Dave about 90%. Would that be right?

kwame k
12-30-2009, 10:55 PM
The reunion with DLR was certainly a huge success in terms of ticket sales and critical response from the medai and fans. I'd be more interested to know the percentage of seats sold per stadium capacity for the Van Hagar 2004 tour compared with the VH 2007/08 tour.

At a rough guess, Van Hagar shows were about 50-60% capacity on average and VH with Dave about 90%. Would that be right?

Without the benefit of researching it....I'd say that's about right, maybe closer to 40%.

Wasn't there pictures of the 2004 tour where they put tarps over the empty seats?

Dan
12-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Without the benefit of researching it....I'd say that's about right, maybe closer to 40%.

Wasn't there pictures of the 2004 tour where they put tarps over the empty seats?

More Like Sheep In The Seats.:D

Halen High
12-31-2009, 12:35 AM
Yeah it was reported at the time that promoters were covering off large sections of some of the stadiums to reduce costs for the Van Hagar tour. So some of those capacities were already reduced making the attendance figures look even worse!

kwame k
12-31-2009, 12:37 AM
More Like Sheep In The Seats.:D

...can't argue with the expert:beers8: