PDA

View Full Version : Dave's voice/screams-from ALAE to YFLM

hammerheadshark
01-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Have you guys ever discussed what might have happened to Dave's voice between the ALAE and YFLM albums? To me, he sounded better than ever on the former and then signature, primal screams:hitch: that fueled ALAE were no where to be found on the latter, not to mention a distinct change in his voice and singing style. Never again after '91 did those sonic screams seem so effortless......
although along with his overall voice, have gotten much better recently. I think he'll sound close to his prime on a new album if they finally get around to it.

FORD
01-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Age, tobacco, and alcohol. Three enemies of vocal cords everywhere. Look at Robert Plant.... his "classic" high voice was shot by 1975, and that dude wasn't even 30 yet then.

Diamondjimi
01-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Age, tobacco, and alcohol. Three enemies of vocal cords everywhere. Look at Robert Plant.... his "classic" high voice was shot by 1975, and that dude wasn't even 30 yet then.

In a nutshell,right there.
Plus the fact that lots of touring will keep the voice in shape, which he wasn't doing as extensively past the 80's. Daltrey explained that the reason his voice was better in the 70's because of the bands heavy touring.Said it's a muscle that constantly needs to worked in order to maintain a certain level ease when singing.
Wonder how much Dave sang when he wasn't on the road. A lot of time in between gigs and recording leaves time for plenty of smokes,JD and killer weed...

Calderone
01-07-2010, 02:00 PM
check this post :

David Lee Roth's screams (Page 1) - Vocal Technique and Health - VoiceCouncil Forum (http://voicecouncil.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=727)

BITEYOASS
01-07-2010, 02:07 PM
I've spent time trying to perfect the patented "Dave Scream" myself. The key is simultaneous inhalation from the nose and mouth then suck in your abs. Haven't really figured out how he was able to extend the scream like he did in "Somebody Get Me A Doctor".

SNIPER
01-07-2010, 02:17 PM
I think Dave is sounding better then ever. To me he sounds like Dave again without alot of the scratchy highs. Age, booze, and smoking takes its toll on the vocals for sure But I also think Dave might have strained his chords with his solo albums. Dave sang difffernt on solo stuff. Alot of it is way higher then VH vox. Even MWM and CGTSNM are sang really high in parts. EEAS area Dave was in his fucking prime. Damn I wish 84 had a follow up but thats another topic.

Calderone
01-07-2010, 03:29 PM
I've spent time trying to perfect the patented "Dave Scream" myself. The key is simultaneous inhalation from the nose and mouth then suck in your abs. Haven't really figured out how he was able to extend the scream like he did in "Somebody Get Me A Doctor".

You are WRONG
its not inhaling its exhaling
Did you read this ???
David Lee Roth's screams (Page 1) - Vocal Technique and Health - VoiceCouncil Forum (http://voicecouncil.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=727)

Sensible Shoes
01-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Calderone! My Goodness, I haven't seen you in years!

Terry
01-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Calderone! My Goodness, I haven't seen you in years!

Nothing short of a Roth-screaming thread will bring him to the surface.;)

joe d'amato
01-07-2010, 07:31 PM
... alae has some of dave's most sage, wise lyrics ever and the pounding adernalin energy of the drumming is amazing. great songs ...

... the first time i heard that part in lady luck when dave comes out of the breakdown with his thunderous growl i felt shivers run straight up my ass. generally dave's solo stuff sounds distinct from van halen, but you could take sensible shoes and put it on any classic vh album and it would fit right in as a vh track. i also love that cool rap-style breakdown in the dogtown shuffle going into the solo and i've always wondered whose voice could that be?

... alae helped solidify bob rock as one of the great hard rock producers. sure he'd worked with aerosmith and bon jovi, but he hasn't worked with van halen. however david lee roth is the next best thing ...

BITEYOASS
01-07-2010, 09:22 PM
You are WRONG
its not inhaling its exhaling
Did you read this ???

Well I guess my inward singing got mixed in.

YouTube - Tenacious D inward singing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKx6EuMZWM)

Sensible Shoes
01-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Nothing short of a Roth-screaming thread will bring him to the surface.;)

Ah yes. That is his purpose in life - to scream like Roth.

hammerheadshark
01-08-2010, 01:28 AM
... alae has some of dave's most sage, wise lyrics ever and the pounding adernalin energy of the drumming is amazing. great songs ...

... the first time i heard that part in lady luck when dave comes out of the breakdown with his thunderous growl i felt shivers run straight up my ass. generally dave's solo stuff sounds distinct from van halen, but you could take sensible shoes and put it on any classic vh album and it would fit right in as a vh track. i also love that cool rap-style breakdown in the dogtown shuffle going into the solo and i've always wondered whose voice could that be?

... alae helped solidify bob rock as one of the great hard rock producers. sure he'd worked with aerosmith and bon jovi, but he hasn't worked with van halen. however david lee roth is the next best thing ...

You get it for sure. ALAE is my favorite Dave album by far, and this (thunderous growl) is one the reasons why. It doesn't get anywhere near the respect it deserves for the most part. I even prefer it over most, if not all (save Fair Warning maybe), classic VH. It's like Dave on steroids and doesn't let up on the "heavy lifting" from start to finish. To me, Dave's screams had a growl/primal texture here that I hadn't quite heard before. As awesome as it was, I've always wondered if it was also the sound of his voice beginning to grind out. Dave's doesn't let up though, and then a short time later, just completely gone.....not even one real attempt on YFLM. And yeah, I love most anything Bob Rock touches. I wish he could get a hold of DLR Band.....although Dave began to bring the screams back there a bit, just the voice & production sounded a little too flat to me.

ZahZoo
01-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Haven't really figured out how he was able to extend the scream like he did in "Somebody Get Me A Doctor".

That's easy... he had the bassplayer perform that part.

Vinnie Velvet
01-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Ah yes. That is his purpose in life - to scream like Roth.

I've tried to perfect his scream for many years.

Still trying.

:D

Vinnie Velvet
01-08-2010, 10:56 AM
That's easy... he had the bassplayer perform that part.

That's what I hated about Little Guitars on the last tour with Wolf.

In the old days, Mike used to help Dave out on those high parts (when they go after 'catch as catch.." and then "CAN!"). Wolf didnt do any of that and Dave was left to do it on his own -- which at times he was struggling to do.

UK ROCKER
01-08-2010, 11:39 AM

In the old days, Mike used to help Dave out on those high parts (when they go after 'catch as catch.." and then "CAN!"). Wolf didnt do any of that and Dave was left to do it on his own -- which at times he was struggling to do.

What does that fat lump Wolfie actually bring to the table?

No vocals as such,

Novice bass playing,

Being way overweight.

Eddie really conned us on the kid!

hammerheadshark
01-08-2010, 12:08 PM
I tell you, at this point, I would buy a studio album, but I wouldn't go and see a "VH" live show now unless Anthony was involved. I'd rather see Dave solo again than that. It would be great to have his backing vocals on a new album, but what are you gonna do?
In truth, I'd rather have Dave solo everything at this point, if it would get the budget, production and attention that a new VH album would no doubt garner. I'd rather Dave do his own thing these days and just leave control freak Eddie high n' dry.....he's wasted far too much of our time as fans and doesn't deserve any support at this point without doing it right.....but it's all for Dave here anyhow:hitch:

joe d'amato
01-08-2010, 02:06 PM
... the last dlr album i bought on release (until the dlr band cd many moons later) was skyscraper. when a little ain't enough came out i heard the singles and saw the video for sensible shoes but i wasn't motivated to purchase it. rock burnout and getting on with my life in my early twenties was priority. then i got back into dave a couple years later and i searched out alae and your filthy little mouth ...

... dave was going for a funk/dance groove on yflm and nile rodgers ex of chic was the perfect choice for producer. the engineering/production is amazing and the mix on the new york remix of you're breathing it is breathtaking. the jazz songs shine -- lands edge, nightlife and sunburn nail that boozy sinatra feel. yflm is another example of the diamond man taking yet another big risk in his musical direction and image and having it pay off in spades ...

... an interesting tidbit. i worked as a joeboy in the recording biz in vancouver, bc in the '80s and there was this engineer i knew of (when you work in studios you are aware of pretty well every other person in the business in town) called gary tole who was an engineer at another studio in new westminster called inside track. i met gary tole on a project i was helping out with in vancouver, very nice gentleman, and i when i bought yflm i noticed that the cd was engineered out of new york city by gary tole. i've always wondered if that was the same gary tole i met in vancouver ...

Carloscda
01-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Just watch Metal Mania on VH-1 Classic and you can see how the majority of those singers tried to imitate Dave's screams, jumps etc...

ZahZoo
01-08-2010, 02:46 PM

A lot of the high pitched screams, hoots, yelps, etc... actually were Michael on a lot of the CVH material that people assumed was Dave.

For Dave's solo work though... the evolution in his voice and tricks were mostly a product of age, crappy recording and poor producing.

Calderone
01-08-2010, 04:43 PM
A lot of the high pitched screams, hoots, yelps, etc... actually were Michael on a lot of the CVH material that people assumed was Dave.

For Dave's solo work though... the evolution in his voice and tricks were mostly a product of age, crappy recording and poor producing.

Wrong,check EEAS there was no Mike

Calderone
01-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Both Vocal Master tracks

actionman.mp3 (http://www.mediafire.com/file/ykmnfi33uml/actionman.mp3)

sweet.mp3 (http://www.mediafire.com/file/jyaynowmglg/sweet.mp3)

degüello
01-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Both Vocal Master tracks

actionman.mp3 (http://www.mediafire.com/file/ykmnfi33uml/actionman.mp3)

sweet.mp3 (http://www.mediafire.com/file/jyaynowmglg/sweet.mp3)

Calderone! Good to see ya. :beers8:

degüello
01-08-2010, 09:55 PM
A lot of the high pitched screams, hoots, yelps, etc... actually were Michael on a lot of the CVH material that people assumed was Dave...

Now that's taking things a bit far. Way too far, really... a ridiculous statement. LOL! :D

ZahZoo
01-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Wrong,check EEAS there was no Mike

How about a little reading comprehention Scarecrow?

Note the key words in my post on a lot of the CVH material...

Terry
01-09-2010, 10:00 AM
What does that fat lump Wolfie actually bring to the table?

No vocals as such,

Novice bass playing,

Being way overweight.

Eddie really conned us on the kid!

All true, but even if Wolfie turned out only to be useful for smoothing the way for Ed and Dave to play together again, for me that's enough.

I'd rather see Mike in the fold, but with Mike around there is always the possibility that when things get tense between the Van Halens and Roth, Biff Malibu can chime in "Well, we can always get Sammy to sing."

ZahZoo
01-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Now that's taking things a bit far. Way too far, really... a ridiculous statement. LOL! :D

I know... bold claims that the bassplayer contributed to the classic VH sound!!

Calderone
01-09-2010, 01:01 PM
How about a little reading comprehention Scarecrow?

Note the key words in my post on a lot of the CVH material...

I know exactly what you meant .....
My point is that EEAS has LOTS of screams ...classic Dave screams

And Mike's screams are nowhere near Dave's

Diamondjimi
01-09-2010, 01:56 PM
I know... bold claims that the bassplayer contributed to the classic VH sound!!

Mike was/is just as important to the CVH sound as having Dave's voice in there.
The key word here being Classic. Not some teenager singing the hi bits.
It's the tone of Mikes voice that made the difference.

I know exactly what you meant .....
My point is that EEAS has LOTS of screams ...classic Dave screams

And Mike's screams are nowhere near Dave's

Mike's screams are borderline annoying. But his harmonies are stellar. (A little overbearing live sometimes, fuck they needed to turn him down a bit...)

Calderone
01-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Mike's screams are borderline annoying. But his harmonies are stellar. (A little overbearing live sometimes, fuck they needed to turn him down a bit...)

100% agreed !!!!!!!!!!

SNIPER
01-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Fucking Mike! I bet during sound check he sang quiet so they would make his mike hotter.

lesfunk
01-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Calderone has my proxy

Vinnie Velvet
01-11-2010, 11:04 AM

Mike did conrtibute some screams here and there but they weren't a lot of it.

He always did this sort of high-pitched laugh kind of a scream (you can hear him at the end of Loss of Control -- yeah that's Mike, not Dave).

But most times, you can clearly differentiate between what Dave did vs Mike.

At least I did.