PDA

View Full Version : Pakistan hockey players fined over a beer and a hug...

Diamondjimi
01-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Hockey men fined over a beer and a hug

Fri Jan 8, 12:31 PM

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Pakistan's parliament fined a national hockey player and two team officials for un-Islamic behavior after pictures circulated of them hugging a woman and apparently drinking alcohol in Argentina last month.

Pakistan is a conservative Muslim country where men hugging women in public is taboo and even men shaking hands with women is frowned upon. Drinking alcohol is illegal for Muslims.

National field hockey team player Rehan Butt was fined 100,000 rupees ($1,175) while coach Shahid Ali Khan and manager Asif Bajwa were fined 50,000 rupees ($600) each, the chairman of the National Assembly's standing committee on sports said.

"Islamic culture does not allow us to hug a lady and have alcohol," committee chairman Jamshed Ahmed Dasti told Reuters.

Pictures run by a Pakistani television channel and posted on the Internet showed one of the men hugging a woman and another apparently drinking a beer.

Another picture showed a group of men sitting at a table with glasses in front of them, apparently containing alcohol.

Bajwa told Dunya Television the woman in the photograph was a tournament liaison officer.

"All officials and players considered her as our sister," Bajwa said before the fines were imposed.

The pictures were taken at the end of the tournament, after Pakistan lost in the final to New Zealand, and the woman had put the pictures on her Facebook page, he said.

Field hockey is Pakistan's national sport although the team's fortunes have waned since it won Olympic gold in 1984.

Dasti said the team's failure at the tournament made the "disgusting" activities that much worse.

In 2007, Minister of Tourism Nilofar Bakhtiar handed in her resignation after religious hardliners raised a storm of criticism when a picture of her appeared hugging her parachute instructor after completing a jump for charity in France.

(Reporting by Zeeshan Haider; Editing by Robert Birsel)

Link (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/100108/odds/odd_us_pakistan_fines)

So lets get this straight...

Shaking hands with woman= Bad
Hugging a woman= Bad
Having a beer with your buddy's= Bad

Harboring Al-Queda militants= Good
Torture by waterboarding and other means.= Good
Kidnapping & Beheading= Good

Sounds like a great place to start a hockey league... :rolleyes:

standin
01-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Corruption is corruption.

The law is the law for those players in a privileged position in Pakistan. At least there is some law being accountable. Does Pakistan need more Fraud and corruption investigators? Oh, hell yea. But fraud investigators do not fall out of the sky. Fraud investigations is a small tight community at the moment, however, even in the world renowned limited program I attended we had a high number of Urdu speaking persons.

We may choose to debase and create a culture of debauchery around high-end sports, but that is not everyone preference. It sure isn't my choice. A good wholesome male would be an odd man out in many sports teams. Even Tiger was twisted to believe he was being cool. Matter of fact, I have read here how sporting teams have become a non-family event due to the harsh ways that are tolerated if not encouraged. My goodness players are shooting each other in locker rooms over gambling debts. I did not know players were allowed to gamble.

They could choose to quit the team and move to Las Veges, hug, and drink beer to their heart's content. Or once they retire move to Veges, hug, and drink beer to their heart's content.

Diamondjimi
01-08-2010, 10:04 PM
What the hell is your point?:smiley-sniffer:

standin
01-08-2010, 10:10 PM
:biggrin:
If you knew what an inside joke that was right now.

Point is good. Law is law. They do not have to be sports players, they could be farmers and grow some poppy.

OMG, that is way funny, if you knew. Happy 4th of July! :lmao:

BITEYOASS
01-08-2010, 10:20 PM
BTW this is a field hockey team, not an ice hockey team. Just thought I'd clear that up for people who think that Pakistan can afford an ice arena.

Seshmeister
01-08-2010, 11:56 PM
:biggrin:
If you knew what an inside joke that was right now.

Point is good. Law is law. They do not have to be sports players, they could be farmers and grow some poppy.

What if the law was to stick you in an oven?

standin
01-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Wasn't there a swimmer that got a whole lot of trouble for smoking some weed?
Yea, that one that won all those metal, Philips.

Sesh very lame comparison.
Why obey the speed limit on the interstates? There is no speed limit on the Autobahn.