• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bueno bob
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Plant/Animal Hybrid

Sea slug surprise: It?s half-plant, half-animal - LiveScience- msnbc.com

A green sea slug appears to be part animal, part plant. It's the first critter discovered to produce the plant pigment chlorophyll.

The sneaky slugs seem to have stolen the genes that enable this skill from algae that they've eaten. With their contraband genes, the slugs can carry out photosynthesis — the process plants use to convert sunlight into energy.

"They can make their energy-containing molecules without having to eat anything," said Sidney Pierce, a biologist at the University of South Florida in Tampa.

Pierce has been studying the unique creatures, officially called Elysia chlorotica, for about 20 years. He presented his most recent findings Jan. 7 at the annual meeting of the Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology in Seattle. The finding was first reported by Science News.

"This is the first time that multicellar animals have been able to produce chlorophyll," Pierce told LiveScience.

The sea slugs live in salt marshes in New England and Canada. In addition to burglarizing the genes needed to make the green pigment chlorophyll, the slugs also steal tiny cell parts called chloroplasts, which they use to conduct photosynthesis. The chloroplasts use the chlorophyl to convert sunlight into energy, just as plants do, eliminating the need to eat food to gain energy.

"We collect them and we keep them in aquaria for months," Pierce said. "As long as we shine a light on them for 12 hours a day, they can survive [without food]."

The researchers used a radioactive tracer to be sure that the slugs are actually producing the chlorophyll themselves, as opposed to just stealing the ready-made pigment from algae. In fact, the slugs incorporate the genetic material so well, they pass it on to further generations of slugs.

The babies of thieving slugs retain the ability to produce their own chlorophyll, though they can't carry out photosynthesis until they've eaten enough algae to steal the necessary chloroplasts, which they can't yet produce on their own.

The slugs accomplishment is quite a feat, and scientists aren't yet sure how the animals actually appropriate the genes they need.

"It certainly is possible that DNA from one species can get into another species, as these slugs have clearly shown," Pierce said. "But the mechanisms are still unknown."
    Twistin' by the pool.
  • bueno bob
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

So here's my question for those among us who wanna throw a bible at everything - how do you like that for an intermediary species?

And the church would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for those meddling scientists!
    Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• GAR
      Banned
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
      "It certainly is possible that DNA from one species can get into another species, as these slugs have clearly shown," Pierce said. "But the mechanisms are still unknown."
      <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_W7LEdOp2Nk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_W7LEdOp2Nk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Comment

• bueno bob
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

Gay. Come up with an original response, fuckwit. Save your YouTube shit that nobody's going to watch for the Dump.
        Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Blackflag
          Banned
          • Apr 2006

Isn't that where this post belongs?

Certainly not in the front line...

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Blackflag

Only because of Bob's religion angle.....

But if it becomes just another GayJack by Gar, then I'll move it.

But you're still a fag.
            Originally posted by Kristy
            Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
            Originally posted by cadaverdog
            I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Unchainme
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Apr 2005

So here's my question for those among us who wanna throw a bible at everything - how do you like that for an intermediary species?
              What?

This is nothing new Bob, In fact we've seen it with our own two eyes in the form of Katydid and her more vegatable like son.
              Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• bueno bob
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jul 2004

Think REAL, REAL hard about the religious aspect I brought up...REAL hard...then go read Lounge's post when you still can't figure it out, because he spells it out for you in small words that you can understand quite nicely, whiz kid.
                Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• bueno bob
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

I'm actually kinda interested to hear from Elvis whether God created this on day three or day five...
                  Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Blackflag
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2006

Think REAL, REAL hard about the religious aspect I brought up...REAL hard...then go read Lounge's post when you still can't figure it out, because he spells it out for you in small words that you can understand quite nicely, whiz kid.
                    First of all, what religion says there can't be a plant/animal hybrid? Elivis could just as easily say that God created it. So you're not making a point.

Second, if you read a source more interesting than "msnbc," you'll find that the timing doesn't support your point. The researchers are saying it's a slug that took on plant traits. Not a plant that became an animal.

Third:
                    "The Front Line The ongoing discussion on the War Against Terrorism. The soldiers of the DLR Army strike back. In honor of the victims of September 11, 2001. We will never forget."

So this still doesn't belong in the front like, dickhead.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jul 2004

Third:
                      "The Front Line The ongoing discussion on the War Against Terrorism. The soldiers of the DLR Army strike back. In honor of the victims of September 11, 2001. We will never forget."

So this still doesn't belong in the front like, dickhead.

So I should move every thread [including your's] that isnt about 9/11 or War on Terrorism? Don't be such a twat.

This forum has evolved in the last 9 years, moron, to include any topic related to politics or religion.

Had bob's take just been "look at this weird thing" then I would have moved it to NON.

WTF do you care, anyway? Dont like the thread, IGNORE IT.

You're just being a cunt for the sake of being a cunt. Which is SOP for you, I know. But I'm enjoying a nice Saturday Morning, and I'm not going to let you piss on it with your stupidity.

Add to the discussion [like you did in pts. 1 and 2] or move on. There's plenty of other threads to derail. Go for it, Skippy.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jul 2004

I'm actually kinda interested to hear from Elvis whether God created this on day three or day five...
                        I'd be more interested to find out what "God" had against Haiti.

Works in mysterious ways, my ass....

Comment

• chefcraig
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Apr 2004

I can't wait for the forthcoming Larry King Live interview to get Adrienne Barbeau's perspective on all of this.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jul 2004

Atlantis, hello.

Comment

• Blackflag
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2006

Bitch, it's my 9th Amendment right to derail any thread I see fit. So fucking deal with it.

Comment

Working...