PDA

View Full Version : Dj plays 'jump' for suicdal woman

UK ROCKER
01-18-2010, 08:25 AM
I prefer Panama, but......

---------------------------

DJ's Van Halen outrage

(Monday January 18, 2010 03:12 AM)
A British DJ has come underfire from mental health groups after playing Van Halen's "Jump" moments before a suicidal woman leapt from a bridge.

Steve Penk was broadcasting on 96.2FM The Revolution recently when four lanes of the M60 had to be closed because of the drama.

As police attempted to talk the woman down, a listener phoned in to request the rock classic, which was then aired.

Penk played it after expressing his sympathy for road users, but the unidentified individual then jumped from the 30ft bridge.

She only suffered minor injuries but the DJ has been slammed for his actions and accused of acting in "very poor taste" by Mind.

Meanwhile, a spokesman for The Samaritans commented: "It shows a lack of compassion and understanding".

Some listeners were also outraged by Penk's behaviour, with Lorna Guinn calling it "pathetic and nasty".

"It's irresponsible - this woman could have overheard it on someone's car stereo", she said.

However, Penk has insisted he would do the same thing again. "The entire area had been thrown into total chaos by a single troubled woman.

"I was very sorry to hear that the lady had subsequently jumped from the bridge but relieved that her injuries were minor.

"If, as has been suggested, the woman jumped because she heard it from a passing car radio that's unfortunate. But I don't regret playing it for a minute", he said.

Music News - The latest music news and gossip from Yahoo! Music UK & Ireland (http://uk.news.launch.yahoo.com/dyna/article.html?a=/100118/340/iuwxq.html&e=l_news_dm)

if6was9
01-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Daily Telegraph reported today:

DJ Steve Penk plays Van Halen's Jump as woman leaps from bridge (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7016267/DJ-Steve-Penk-plays-Van-Halens-Jump-as-woman-leaps-from-bridge.html)

Radio DJ Steve Penk has been condemned by mental health charities for playing a song entitled Jump as police were trying to talk down a suicidal woman from a motorway bridge.

The controversial presenter had a request from a listener for the track by Van Halen after four lanes of the M60 were closed while police attempted to deal with the delicate situation.

He told listeners on his 96.2FM The Revolution's breakfast show he was playing the song to empathise with frustrated motorists, but moments later the woman jumped from the 30ft bridge.

oops...

if6was9
01-18-2010, 08:35 AM
OK, you were 1 minute faster :biggrin:

Seshmeister
01-18-2010, 09:06 AM
I hate to spoil a good story but she only got minor injuries.

Unfortunately.

Pure attention whoring. If you are going to kill yourself there are better and easier ways to do it than causing a huge rush hour traffic jam before jumping from a dangerous enough place. :)

VanHalenFan5150
01-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Did you guys know that DLR actually was inspired by a man who jumped off of the Empire State Building to write the lyrics for Jump?

if6was9
01-18-2010, 09:40 AM

It's not you - SHE has spoiled a good story.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Threads merged....

Seshmeister
01-18-2010, 10:30 AM

Unfortunately.

Pure attention whoring. If you are going to kill yourself there are better and easier ways to do it than causing a huge rush hour traffic jam before jumping from a dangerous enough place. :)

Duh meant to say NOT dangerous enough place which wouldn't have been brilliant writing in any case.

Hardrock69
01-18-2010, 10:48 AM
I think this is hilarious. :D

WARF
01-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Did you guys know that DLR actually was inspired by a man who jumped off of the Empire State Building to write the lyrics for Jump?

It was actually the sears acro building, but yes jump was inspired but a suicide jumper...so the what the dj did was appropriate.

chefcraig
01-18-2010, 11:31 AM

Not quite. Roth explains the song's inspiration in an interview with Lisa Robinson for Rock Video Magazine (http://www.vhlinks.com/pages/interviews/dlr/rv0784.php) in 1984.

LR: Were you surprised that you had a #1 single with "Jump"?

DLR: "Jump" is a song that we wrote for several different reasons, primarily because it is leap year and secondly, because I was watching television one night and it was the five o'clock news and there was a fellow standing on top of the Arco Towers in Los Angeles and he was about to check out early, he was going to do the 33 stories drop - and there was a whole crowd of people in the parking lot downstairs yelling "Don't jump, don't jump" and I thought to myself, "Jump." So, I wrote it down and ultimately it made in onto the record, although in a much more positive vein. It's easy to translate it the way you hear it on the record as a "go for it" attitude, positive sort of affair - I jog, therefore, I am, approach.

LR: Now Eddie says that he had the music for this for a couple of years before you recorded it?

DLR: Well, there are always bits and pieces of music that go flying by, you can never tell exactly what form it was in two years ago. I doubt if it sounded exactly the way it does this year two years ago when Edward played it for us, because I can't imagine us passing it up.

LR: So many people who normally never would have bought a Van Halen record, or gone to a Van Halen concert, loved this record.

DLR: Well, Van Halen has always come down the beach with a torch in one hand and a sword in the other, and that's the way we've always approached our music and our live show and particularly my interviews and I don't see how people can resist. In 1984, you can't avoid us. You can talk whatever you want about clothing and haircuts, but it's all in the grooves. If the music moves, then you've got it.

if6was9
01-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Threads merged....

Thanks a lot.

ace diamond
01-18-2010, 01:11 PM
even i would never resort to the shit this chick pulled.

somebody should fucking give that dj an award, and get him stoned, drunk and laid.
he's earned it.

Seshmeister
01-18-2010, 02:14 PM
even i would never resort to the shit this chick pulled.

Are you sure you've thought it through?

twonabomber
01-18-2010, 02:24 PM
could have been worse, Prince has a song called "Push"...

LoungeMachine
01-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Or Fall on Me by REM?

or Free Falling by Tom Petty?

The jokes on this one write themselves....

:gulp:

Much like any discussion of ace....

ace diamond
01-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Are you sure you've thought it through?

absolutely certain.
keep dreaming.

chefcraig
01-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Several years ago, some social retard thought it would be a real hoot to take some footage of people leaping to their death from the still flaming twin towers on 9/11, add the songs "It's Raining Men", "Let The Bodies Hit The Floor" and "Jump" to the soundtrack and post it at Youtube. I thought it was a tasteless thing to do at the time, and still do.

Making fun of people with serious issues, or trying to help 'em along in their decision making process towards a bitter end is not only wrong, it shows a callous heartlessness that is disturbing to witness. Many people that visited DDLR a while back saw one of the posters there do exactly the same thing, and were universally appalled by the guy's actions. How is this any different?

LoungeMachine
01-18-2010, 02:36 PM
absolutely certain.
keep dreaming.

Give it a second thought, ace....

we beg you

Through early morning fog I see
visions of the things to be
the pains that are withheld for me
I realize and I can see...

That suicide is painless
It brings on many changes
and I can take or leave it if I please.

I try to find a way to make
all our little joys relate
without that ever-present hate
but now I know that it's too late, and...

The game of life is hard to play
I'm gonna lose it anyway
The losing card I'll someday lay
so this is all I have to say.

The only way to win is cheat
And lay it down before I'm beat
and to another give my seat
for that's the only painless feat.

The sword of time will pierce our skins
It doesn't hurt when it begins
But as it works its way on in
The pain grows stronger...watch it grin, but...

A brave man once requested me
to answer questions that are key
'is it to be or not to be'
and I replied 'oh why ask me?'

'Cause suicide is painless
it brings on many changes
and I can take or leave it if I please.
...and you can do the same thing if you choose

LoungeMachine
01-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Several years ago, some social retard thought it would be a real hoot to take some footage of people leaping to their death from the still flaming twin towers on 9/11, add the songs "It's Raining Men", "Let The Bodies Hit The Floor" and "Jump" to the soundtrack and post it at Youtube. I thought it was a tasteless thing to do at the time, and still do.

Making fun of people with serious issues, or trying to help 'em along in their decision making process is not only wrong, it shows a callous heartlessness that is disturbing to witness. Many people that visited DDLR a while back saw one of the posters there do exactly the same thing, and were universally appalled at the guy. How is this any different?

I agree....

Except when it comes to making fun of ace...

:gulp:

jero
01-18-2010, 03:03 PM

Unfortunately.

But she jumped anyway!

VanHalener
01-18-2010, 03:24 PM
...Pure attention whoring. If you are going to kill yourself there are better and easier ways to do it than causing a huge rush hour traffic jam before jumping from a dangerous enough place. :)

Right!

Use your head if you want to toss away your life. Walk up to a big biker hanging out with his buddies, and just before you kick over his bike tell him you banged his mother and now he owes you five bucks.

Works every time. You may even get a free burial.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j189/mechdziner714/Motivational%20Posters/l_20496da51b302d5924d46e750a831d54.jpg

Antman
01-24-2010, 09:31 AM
To cover his ass, the DJ then played "Somebody Get Me a Doctor"

Panamark
01-30-2010, 06:53 AM
What if he played the pointer sisters "jump" then we would
all be awkward about black peoples feelings and promoting
suicide...

What a load of crap !!