PDA

View Full Version : Dave provides howl effects for The Wolfman

CVH Rulz
01-18-2010, 04:04 PM
PUERTO RICAN actor Benicio Del Toro's strong, intense features have led him towards many dark and tragic roles, the latest being the lead in the remake of The Wolfman, released on February 12.

But the character's spine-chilling howl comes from somewhere else together.

Rock stars Gene Simmons - lead singer of Kiss - and David Lee Roth - frontman of Van Halen - were among the many people who came in to the studio to provide animalistic sound effects for the film.

Director Joe Johnston explained that the creature's blood-curdling ululations weren't as simple to achieve as you might expect.

He told BoxOffice they had listened to the baying sounds of werewolves in other films but thought most sounded phoney.

Johnston said: "When we were designing [Benicio's] howl, we were going off in a lot of different directions. We tried a lot of things to see what would work and be interesting. We listened to every wolf howl ever done on every film. We listened to all of them. And you'd be surprised how unconvincing most of them are. Some were just wolves, but some were men going, 'Aoooooooo!'

"We didn't get a lot from our research in what's been done before. We were looking for this great pure tone - we knew we were going to process it and overlay elements but we wanted that great foundation.

"We tried Gene Simmons and one of Gene Simmons' howls is in the movie. I don't think Gene Simmons would recognise it, but it's in there. We had David Lee Roth come in and do a few howls.

"It was great. These guys, they're not only singers - they're comedians. Hilarious sessions. You can imagine Gene Simmons and David Lee Roth in there howling with the picture on the screen. And they would do it, crack a few jokes, and try it again."

Johnston explained that the veteran rockers were among many 'howlers' who contributed to the monster sounds used in the film.

"We had opera singers come in and howl, we had animal impersonators. Gene Simmons and David Lee Roth were pretty near the end of the process. By then we knew what we were looking for, we were homing in on it. And their stuff became the most useful stuff that we did.

"I don't think they would recognise it after what we've done to it because we've digitally processed it and added cool overtones and all that stuff.

"We were basically just looking for a wolf howl you'd never heard before. What we realised is that everybody in the audience knows what a wolfman sounds like. Even if it's from their imagination, it's all pretty much the same thing.

"We just wanted our howl to be the best version of that howl. And I think we've come up with something that's definitely spine-tingling, and at the same time it's familiar enough that the audience is going to recognise it - it's what they expect, with enhancements."

Kiss and Van Halen rockers provide howl effects for The Wolfman - Coventry Telegraph - The Geek Files (http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2010/01/kiss-and-van-halen-rockers-pro.html)

sadaist
01-18-2010, 04:49 PM
That's awesome. THIS is the type of stuff, these sessions, that should be filmed and placed on the bonus disc when the movie goes to DVD. I'd love to see Dave in a studio cracking jokes & howling. The whole process would be great fun to see.

vaijuju
01-18-2010, 05:22 PM
here an interview by the director joe johnston
Boxoffice > The Business of Movies > Featured Stories > EXCLUSIVE: 'Captain America' & 'JP4' News (http://boxoffice.com/featured_stories/2010/01/exclusive-captain-america-jp4.php)

VAiN
01-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Very cool... I'll be listening for it!

chefcraig
01-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Just saw the preview for this on ESPN. All of the longer trailers for this film are non-embeddable at Youtube, so all I can post is this one. You can see the longer, HD (and far superior) versions at this link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjyZsDpCQbI&feature=PlayList&p=ACAD64AC442A32DA&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=6).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IcCDIRYzwys&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IcCDIRYzwys&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Dr. Love
01-18-2010, 09:38 PM
that explains why I could have sworn that in the trailer I heard him say "Loooooooook at alllllll the peeeeeeeeepulllllllllllll heeeeeeeeeeeeeere tooooooooooniggggghhhhhhtaahhhhhhhh"

Which if you think of it IS kind of strange for a werewolf to say.

Douglas T.
01-18-2010, 10:50 PM
LOL Dr. Love!

vaijuju
01-19-2010, 01:02 AM
and her, is she in the movie :biggrin:?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dWB4dyl-lw&feature=channel

Vinnie Velvet
01-19-2010, 10:13 AM
I bet when he transforms into the Wolfman he says "....that aint a microphone in my pants, I'm just happy to see ya....!!!!!" :biggrin:

Nickdfresh
01-19-2010, 10:44 AM
"Hey! Don't be shooting silver bullets at me, man!!! I'M GONNA FUCK YOUR GIRLFRIEND, PAL!!!!!!"

joe d'amato
01-20-2010, 02:44 PM
... cool to see sir anthony hopkins in the wolfman reprising his van helsing-type character (we assume) from coppolla's brilliant bram stoker's dracula. johnston used to be a special fx guy right?

joe d'amato
01-20-2010, 02:49 PM
... no the special fx guy i was thinking of was steve johnson. werewolf movies are somewhat hit and miss. nicholson's wolf was so-so but is it possible to top dante's the howling or landis' an american werewolf in london? not bloody likely ...

twonabomber
01-20-2010, 04:43 PM
you're right, this Joe Johnston was "art director visual effects" on the original Star Wars movies, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Battlestar Galactica.

there's a Steve Johnson also, he did SFX on Spider-Man.

DavidLeeNatra
01-21-2010, 03:40 AM
"Hey! Don't be shooting silver bullets at me, man!!! I'M GONNA FUCK YOUR GIRLFRIEND, PAL!!!!!!"

:biggrin:

diamondsgirl
01-23-2010, 05:58 AM
That's awesome. THIS is the type of stuff, these sessions, that should be filmed and placed on the bonus disc when the movie goes to DVD. I'd love to see Dave in a studio cracking jokes & howling. The whole process would be great fun to see.

I was thinking the same thing. I can only imagine the comments he was making in between. :biggrin:

Very cool that they thought of Dave for this!!

I was planning on seeing this movie anyway, but now I will be there fo sho.

I have been saying for years and years that Dave should be doing voice work....we're getting there!! :)

vaijuju
02-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Tonight in a french TV show (canal+), Benito del toro said that David Lee Roth did voices for wolfman

ThatArtGuy
02-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Can't get any more official than that.

steve
02-05-2010, 05:09 PM
The Wolfman’s Howl & Behind the Scenes Featurette - Screen Rant (http://screenrant.com/the-wolfman-howl-behind-the-scenes-featurette-ross-43535/)

The video in this link has a good howl at the end.
DLR?